PDA

View Full Version : Find a token’s corresponding entry in combat tracker

wframe
February 18th, 2022, 05:42
I’ve been running some SWADE games lately and when I returned to 5e, I realized something was missing.

In SWADE, you can right click on a token and “find in combat tracker”. This is super helpful, especially as GM with a lot of enemies in a combat. Is there ANYTHING like that for 5e? I tried Combat highlighter, but I can’t get that to work the way I want. Honestly, I just want an easy way to jump to the CT entry for a particular token. When you have 20 orcs on the map and you need to apply an effect to one of them, etc, it gets to be a bit of a time sink to find that one npc in the tracker. I love the SWADE implementation, but I can’t find any extensions that replicate it for 5e.

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2022, 09:24
Effects are generally applied by the actor doing the attacking; so the DM shouldn't need to find anything. Additionally you can apply an effect by dropping it on the token on the map - so again no need to find it on the CT. If you do need to find it then use numbering so that you have a better idea of which token it is; but otherwise there's nothing like a right click and find token on CT thing.

wframe
February 18th, 2022, 17:58
Effects are generally applied by the actor doing the attacking; so the DM shouldn't need to find anything. Additionally you can apply an effect by dropping it on the token on the map - so again no need to find it on the CT. If you do need to find it then use numbering so that you have a better idea of which token it is; but otherwise there's nothing like a right click and find token on CT thing.

Thanks, Zacchaeus. I'm a huge fan of the automation and for the most part, everything works as it should. But I occasionally need to hunt down the NPC in the combat tracker for a multitude of reasons (attack of opportunity, disable/enable an effect, etc) and it's a huge pain when the combat is large. I can't imagine how anyone who runs a 5e game never having to do that, but that's me.

The feature that was added to the SWADE ruleset to find the NPC by right-clicking on the token blew my mind. I had no idea it was specific to that ruleset and when I looked for it in my 5e games, I was really disheartened. That said, you do interact with the combat tracker a lot more for SWADE. I can kind of approximate it with Combat Highlighter, but it's not quite the same.

SilentRuin
February 18th, 2022, 18:47
I know you can double click on a map token and have its combat tracker entry be brought into the view (you still have to find it in the view). I can't remember which extension I made that happen in though. I'm sure other extensions probably do something similar - just raw FGU does not do it (or didn't - so many new things no longer sure what it provides).

wframe
February 18th, 2022, 18:50
I know you can double click on a map token and have its combat tracker entry be brought into the view (you still have to find it in the view). I can't remember which extension I made that happen in though. I'm sure other extensions probably do something similar - just raw FGU does not do it (or didn't - so many new things no longer sure what it provides).

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need it to focus on the entry in the CT, I just need it to at least show that NPC in the current view. Sometimes my combat tracker is FULL and I can only have it be so big for the sake of screen real estate, so scrolling through 20 orcs to find "Orc 15" is the problem. If you remember what extension it is, let me know.

SilentRuin
February 18th, 2022, 19:04
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need it to focus on the entry in the CT, I just need it to at least show that NPC in the current view. Sometimes my combat tracker is FULL and I can only have it be so big for the sake of screen real estate, so scrolling through 20 orcs to find "Orc 15" is the problem. If you remember what extension it is, let me know.

Is buried in a bunch of functionality I do for my making NPCs fully owned across all features (Assistant GM) - which is not something you need or at least should check into free things first if you do.

The actual code that does it is by overloading the Token.onDoubleClick = onDoubleClick; functionality and calling the original code then calling what I want done - in this case a bunch of NPC ownership logic I wanted followed by making sure whatever was selected had then engine functionality for scrollToWindow called to insure that combat tracker entry was in the current view window of the CT.

Gist is I don't recommend getting my stuff (paid) as I tend to dump functionality into my extensions whenever I feel like it and wherever I feel its relevant for my own uses. I'd look into finding something free that already does it or do it yourself.

wframe
February 18th, 2022, 20:25
Is buried in a bunch of functionality I do for my making NPCs fully owned across all features (Assistant GM) - which is not something you need or at least should check into free things first if you do.

The actual code that does it is by overloading the Token.onDoubleClick = onDoubleClick; functionality and calling the original code then calling what I want done - in this case a bunch of NPC ownership logic I wanted followed by making sure whatever was selected had then engine functionality for scrollToWindow called to insure that combat tracker entry was in the current view window of the CT.

Gist is I don't recommend getting my stuff (paid) as I tend to dump functionality into my extensions whenever I feel like it and wherever I feel its relevant for my own uses. I'd look into finding something free that already does it or do it yourself.

Ah, I see. Thanks. I had already looked all over and that's why I posted here. The closest I could get was Combat Highlighter.