PDA

View Full Version : List of Undocumented SWADE Ruleset Features

FrodoB
February 14th, 2022, 10:33
Hey all,

seeing as Ikael is very busy right now and the documentation rework might be a bit further into the future, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can collect all the Features the SWADE ruleset has which are not already documented on the Effects page in Confluence (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643800/Savage+Worlds+Effects). Things only explained by Doswelk or others in videos are fair game - I want to have it all in written form. Plenty of the stuff described here was actually covered in or even directly gathered from his Videos (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643811/Savage+Worlds+Videos).
Here is what I have so far:

Effects

Rolling additional dice
These effects will roll an additional die whenever a roll is made. The result will be added to all dice rolled.
Does not with the keywords Attack, Melee, Ranged or Thrown. Supports Attack specific effects.

Expression Notation
Description

Extra:Trait ASSIGNd
Add the specified die to all Trait rolls.

Extra:Damage ASSIGNd
Add the specified die to all Damage rolls.

Example
Description

Extra:Notice =2d
Adds an additional d6 to all Notice rolls.

Extra:Fighting|Extra:Damage =1d
Adds an additional d4 to all Fighting and Damage rolls.

>Extra:Fighting|Extra:Damage =1d
Adds an additional d4 to all Fighting and Damage rolls made with the attack this effect is assigned to.

Extra:Fighting|Extra:Shooting =4d
Adds an additional d10 to all Fighting and Shooting rolls.

Extra:Fighting|Shooting =1d
Careful! This rolls an additional d4 with all Fighting rolls, but sets the Shooting die to a d4!

Effect naming
Please do not add this to the Wiki until Ikael has confirmed I got this right! I tested and dove into the source code, but I am not entirely sure I got this right!

When adding an effect, it can be given a NAME. Examples can be found in the ruleset itself and is as simple as writing the name before the brackets, like this: Defend [Parry +4]
It is also possible to assign a TYPE to an effect. Instead of writing the NAME, instead it is written as TYPE, QUALIFIER.

When referencing the effect, it should be done as #QualifierType.
Example: #DimIllumination will apply "Illumination, Dim".
When ignoring effects (see below), it is possible to ignore a whole type.
Example: [Ignore #Illumination] will ignore "Illumination, Dim"; "Illumination, Dark"; and "Illumination, Pitch Black".
Some pre-defined effects can be referenced by just the qualifier, if the qualifier was deemed unique enough.
Example: #Dim will apply "Illumination, Dim", but #Heavy will not apply "Cover, Heavy".
This also means that when using a self-defined effect, that shortcut will not work.
Example: #Strength will not apply a custom effect "Boost, Strength [Strength> +1]" - only #StrengthBoost will do that.

All effects in "Effects" and "Modifiers" can be referenced or ignored this way (see below).

Minor Bugs

In 4 places the Wiki talks about "Ganging Up", both in description and Effect name. The correct name is "Gang Up", like "@Gang Up -2".

FrodoB
February 14th, 2022, 10:33
Miscallaneous

The Savage Worlds ruleset provides a lot of automatation and functionalities which may not be obvious at first.
A few of them are:

Nothing to see here, everything has been added to the Wiki! (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2076737552/Savage+Worlds+Miscellaneous)

History
2022-02-15: Added Global Effects, Load Strength
2022-03-02: Brought formatting and phrasing more in line with the Wiki
2022-03-15: Added Attribute+Linked skills, Renamed "Multiplier Effects" to "Factor Effects" (as this is what they're called internally), clarified effects naming
2022-03-15: Removed sections that have already been added to the Wiki
2022-03-16: Reworded "Effect naming" and added info given by Mike.
2022-06-18: Added "Pace" (Halve/Double Movement added, "Pace MODd" got renamed "Run MODd"); Added "ActionCard".
2022-07-03: Rewording to prepare Wiki update
2022-07-05: Removed everything that has been added to the Wiki.

FrodoB
February 14th, 2022, 10:34
Reserved #2.

FrodoB
February 14th, 2022, 10:42
Reserved #3 (Better safe than sorry).

Feel free to add more stuff you find in your games or remember! I will try and come back to the thread every now and then to update the top post(s).

srbongo
February 14th, 2022, 13:58
Global Effects aren't mentioned in the documentation - but are fairly straightforward and really handy to know about.

WishX
February 14th, 2022, 17:06
Thanks for putting this thread together! I'll add the changes to the Savage Worlds ruleset wiki page that you linked to and I'll check back here periodically to see what's new. If anyone adds more to this thread, including screenshots, feel free to ping me on Discord and let me know.

FrodoB
February 15th, 2022, 11:40
Added both Global Effects and Load Strength.

amerigoV
February 16th, 2022, 01:17
Thanks for doing this!

A few to add - The multipliers should be paired with who to set up the weapon/attack with the Fire/Silver/Etc.

Maybe its just linking Doswell's video, but there should be notes on how to change an attack/spellcasting to another skill than the standard ones.

FrodoB
February 16th, 2022, 10:44
Thanks for doing this!
A few to add - The multipliers should be paired with who to set up the weapon/attack with the Fire/Silver/Etc.

It's already described how to do that in the Wiki. I will add a link to the section in question though!

Valyar
February 16th, 2022, 16:38
Awesome initiative!

macDsinfo
February 18th, 2022, 09:58
thx

WishX
March 2nd, 2022, 19:07
All of the information in the OP has been added to the Savage Worlds - Effects wiki article located here:
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643800/Savage+Worlds+Effects

If more information comes to light over time, I will update the wiki and post here.

Mike Serfass
March 3rd, 2022, 02:26
Thanks for updating the wiki!

HellDevil
March 3rd, 2022, 04:22
very nice!

amerigoV
March 3rd, 2022, 18:01
Looking nice. Good items there.

I am not sure its "hidden", but I compiled every way I can think of to target during combat (both from player vs GM). Worth adding here or just its own thread? Its not really a SWADE thing, but its what you do most of the time :)

FrodoB
March 3rd, 2022, 19:43
Looking nice. Good items there.

I am not sure its "hidden", but I compiled every way I can think of to target during combat (both from player vs GM). Worth adding here or just its own thread? Its not really a SWADE thing, but its what you do most of the time :)

I'm not entirely sure...the goal of the Thread is really to compile information not (yet) in the Wiki, though Derek has put all of it on there now anyways. :D

My suggestion would be that you post the list and I add that to the main post, but put it under a header "Useful Tipps (not intended for the Wiki)" or something?

FrodoB
March 4th, 2022, 14:26
SrBongo just found something new:

[Wounds +2] does not work anymore, it's now [Wounds Threshold +2]

Just putting it here until I have the time to update the front post

Mike Serfass
March 4th, 2022, 18:02
The same applies to Fatigue.

Lonewolf
March 13th, 2022, 04:50
Mods can this thread get a sticky please?

The "how do I add effect x" topic comes up a lot and the answers fall off the first page of the forum.

FrodoB
March 14th, 2022, 22:59
I'm actually against stickying this thread.
The first step should always be to check the effects page and Derek is fairly quick to update it with stuff we find and notify him about.

LazerGonzo
March 15th, 2022, 00:12
I don't know how to describe the type of effect I'm talking about, but is there a separate page for effects that are placed "behind the scenes?" The kind that have the hashtags in font of them and determine things like how recoil is calculated, or other "universal" statuses/effects? Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

* #Dark
* #Dim
* #Illumination
* #Recoil
* Unarmeddefender
* Whatever the one is for encumbrance

Basically the list of effects that are central to the rule system. Not sure what the right term is, or even if I spelled the ones in the list above correctly. Would be nice to know which ones there are and whether or not the modifiers work with them.

FrodoB
March 15th, 2022, 12:46
All of the ones you mentioned are listed in Effects or Modifiers. There is no reason to duplicate that list (which is freely accessible from within FGU) on the Wiki.

I will, however, admit that the section could be clearer and could probably be reworded or extended - it does not spell out that Modifiers can be referenced as well nor is it immediately clear how it works (for example, "Cover, Light" becomes "#LightCover"). I might try to come up with something once I have fully understood how the system parses the names.

FrodoB
March 15th, 2022, 13:55
Updated:
Included Wounds Threshold Table
Included "Attributes and linked Skills"
Included effect naming scheme

FrodoB
March 16th, 2022, 00:19
Updated:
Removed all sections that have been transferred to the Wiki

Mike Serfass
March 16th, 2022, 01:12
All of the ones you mentioned are listed in Effects or Modifiers. There is no reason to duplicate that list (which is freely accessible from within FGU) on the Wiki.

I will, however, admit that the section could be clearer and could probably be reworded or extended - it does not spell out that Modifiers can be referenced as well nor is it immediately clear how it works (for example, "Cover, Light" becomes "#LightCover"). I might try to come up with something once I have fully understood how the system parses the names.

Here's a quote from Ikael:

When adding own effects you should know about this small rule: If effect has comma in its name, then the part before comma is considered effect type and part after the comma is effect qualifier. For instance Cover, Heavy -- it is Cover effect and Heavy is qualifier. This is useful when writing Ignore effects like Ignore #Cover
In Ignore effects, you can either match full effect like Ignore #HeavyCover or more general one like Ignore #Cover which would apply to any kind of cover.
If you register effects via extension you can define more rules for them that you cannot define in FG UI. For instance, all Illumination effects are defined to be unique meaning that you can also match to their effect qualifier. There are three Illumination effects: Illumination, Dim, Illumination, Dark and Illumination, Pitch Darkness. Because they are registered to be unique then you can match them by just their qualifier ie. Dim, Dark and Pitch Darkness. For instance in Low Light Vision there is effect [Ignore #Dim #Dark]
Note that Cover is not registered as unique because its qualifiers are not that unique (Heavy, Medium, Light)

FrodoB
March 16th, 2022, 11:47
Appreciate the detective work! Updated the post using Ikael's terminology.

LazerGonzo
March 17th, 2022, 02:56

Oh, snap. I didn't even catch those in there. I really did read that page I promise!

Okay! This actually makes me feel a bit better about missing some of that stuff. I have a tendency to think in ordered, hierarchical structures, so I was thinking that if they weren't in a table or list then they weren't ALL there. My assumption was that they'd be listed, but on a closer look, I see that they are built into the discussions of *other* effects.

My bad.

Lonewolf
March 17th, 2022, 13:22
I'm actually against stickying this thread.
The first step should always be to check the effects page and Derek is fairly quick to update it with stuff we find and notify him about.

I agree but right now as expected, there is already two more threads on the same topic running. It would be helpful in any good stuff that gets posted, gets dropped into one thread right here. That way Derek only has to look in one place to update wiki.
Eventally people will run out of new stuff and the wiki will be done. At that point we can always unsticky and let this die gracefully.

Mike Serfass
March 17th, 2022, 23:30
If we run out of stuff, Ikael will add new, cool effects, and we'll start another thread or three. :)
If we have a sticky effect thread, we can point people to the wiki and the sticky thread when they post questions.

[Sticky> +3]

Jiminimonka
March 22nd, 2022, 22:15
Awesome initiative!

He got a Joker!

rathen45
April 27th, 2022, 18:25
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the place to put this but there seems to be something missing from the SWADE rulebook. There is no 'Rules' section and there is no scale modifier table for instance.

Jiminimonka
April 27th, 2022, 18:36
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the place to put this but there seems to be something missing from the SWADE rulebook. There is no 'Rules' section and there is no scale modifier table for instance.

Yeah. Definitely the wrong place to post. Please make your own thread in the Savage Worlds section and provide more details and some screenshots. Thanks.

Jiminimonka
May 3rd, 2022, 23:14
The Party Sheet - Other tab - the GM and Players can add NPCs and can drag them to the Allies section of character sheets (and drag them back to the party sheet when they are no longer using them)

Jiminimonka
May 20th, 2022, 00:08
I feel Ikael's GIF should be added into the Wiki

Demonstrates adding effects to items that toggle with equipped status.

It is a GIF file despite being renamed to jpg by the forum software.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/274634463860883458/844963048628289607/sw530_03.gif

Lonewolf
May 24th, 2022, 11:04
The following effects should be added to the wiki:

Extra action card [Action Card +1] ... handy when you have abilities that stack extra action card draws like Level Headed + Favoured Terrain
Difficult Ground [Halve #Movement] ... Good to help people move tokens in respect to a temporary movement restriction.

FrodoB
June 19th, 2022, 13:13
Thanks Lonewolf, added. Movement seems slightly borked right now and I'm not sure it is on purpose, but I did notice that "Pace +1d" got changed to "Run +1d"...

Lonewolf
June 25th, 2022, 21:00
Thanks Lonewolf, added. Movement seems slightly borked right now and I'm not sure it is on purpose, but I did notice that "Pace +1d" got changed to "Run +1d"...I can't comment on any movement problems this week. All I can do is hopefully explain how the movement modifiers interact. They are different calculations for run and pace. Which are done separately.

Pace never has a die value. The only interaction they have it when the total run roll is produced: Pace + Run die. Pace is just a number that will accept addition or subtraction. [Pace +1] or [Pace -1]. If you wanted to say double pace 6 to 12 you could use [pace +6]. Or even [Pace =12]. However it will not actually do anything automatically outside of the run roll. A player and GM would have recognise that change in the CT manually since it never called by any other function.

Run on the other hand always has a die value and defaults to d6. So [Run +1d] gives d8. Once again this will not actually do anything automatically outside of the run roll.

Lonewolf
June 25th, 2022, 21:27
I feel Ikael's GIF should be added into the Wiki

Demonstrates adding effects to items that toggle with equipped status.

It is a GIF file despite being renamed to jpg by the forum software.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/274634463860883458/844963048628289607/sw530_03.gif

This perhaps also worth a bit of deeper dive into adding effects via the CT. The lights values are coded into the rules set and used to populate the menu buttons. You can go into the setup window and open up the default values and change them. 53303

However this is a campaign specific change. The old values will reload when you start a new campaign. As an alternative you can drag your changes to the effects window and save the changes as a module. Which can be loaded to give back you changes. 53304

The important thing here is to understand how these work in the CT. The code [LIGHT:3/5] will produce a token light to a radius of 5" which will reveal other tokens but it will cast a shadow effect beyond 3". 53301
It is also possible to have a no extended shadow. A small candle could just use one number [LIGHT:1]

The cool thing is if that code is on an item that player picked up and has equipped. They just pick up a lamp and turned it on. Working out vision modifiers is a bit harder since there is no VISION command for the CT in SWADE and other rulesset that use it as a base. What we have instead is three hard coded vision systems which are triggered by having a name string added to charcter sheet. To make matters worst in Pathfinder the links are slightly broken. There is actual editing errors in the rulebook so fault is with Pinnacle here.

First lets learn the manual method of to assign a token vision. Use the map controls to add the right vision when the token is selected 53302
In SWADE adding the same name as an edge will automatically add the token light when dragged to the map. Add "nightvision" as an edge and you token will see in green for example.

The last thing to remember is none of this will touch dice rolls. That is another effect system and so far we have only looked and what changed the game graphics and LOS. Lighting dice mechanics are not related to the computer graphics players see. Add the penalty for illumination as a global effect. Characters with an ability to avoid it get a modifier. Here is a quick list of of all CT effects I think of: Take the penalty and half it [Half #Illumination], Ignore the penalty [Ignore #Illumination], Ignore everything except pitch black [Ignore #Dim #Dark]. You could also use a number like [Ignore #Illumination -4]

Jiminimonka
June 25th, 2022, 21:29
This perhaps also worth a bit of deeper dive into adding effects via the CT. The lights values are coded into the rules set and used to populate the menu buttons. You can go into the setup window and open up the default values and change them. 53299

However this is a campaign specific change. The old values will reload when you start a new campaign. As an alternative you can drag your changes to the effects window and save the changes as a module. Which can be loaded to give back you changes. 53300

The important thing here is to understand how these work in the CT. The code [LIGHT:3/5] will produce a token light to a radius of 5" which will reveal other tokens but it will cast a shadow effect beyond 3"

These attachments are not working for me.

FrodoB
June 25th, 2022, 22:40
I can't comment on any movement problems this week. All I can do is hopefully explain how the movement modifiers interact. They are different calculations for run and pace. Which are done separately.

Pace never has a die value. The only interaction they have it when the total run roll is produced: Pace + Run die. Pace is just a number that will accept addition or subtraction. [Pace +1] or [Pace -1]. If you wanted to say double pace 6 to 12 you could use [pace +6]. Or even [Pace =12]. However it will not actually do anything automatically outside of the run roll. A player and GM would have recognise that change in the CT manually since it never called by any other function.

Run on the other hand always has a die value and defaults to d6. So [Run +1d] gives d8. Once again this will not actually do anything automatically outside of the run roll.

I think you misunderstand my point.
On the effects page right now it say that you have to write Pace +1d to increase your running die when in fact it should be Run +1d. I'm aware that Pace does not have a die value, but that was what the effect is called on the Wiki - either because it used to be this way but got changed later or because it just got written up wrong.

My other point is that Pace +4 does change the value on the character sheet appropriately...sometimes. Adding some edges does indeed update the pace displayed on the charsheet (and by extension in the CT), but effects on items and the CT does not. Now, I am not in the mood to go code delving, but it's either that these edges are hard-coded to do this or that adding/removing edges and abilities are a special case in the ruleset that gets treated differently from effects applied in other ways.

Lonewolf
June 25th, 2022, 23:30
These attachments are not working for me.

Fixed it. Sorry to leave you in the dark there :p

Lonewolf
June 25th, 2022, 23:39
I think you misunderstand my point.
On the effects page right now it say that you have to write Pace +1d to increase your running die when in fact it should be Run +1d. I'm aware that Pace does not have a die value, but that was what the effect is called on the Wiki - either because it used to be this way but got changed later or because it just got written up wrong.

My other point is that Pace +4 does change the value on the character sheet appropriately...sometimes. Adding some edges does indeed update the pace displayed on the charsheet (and by extension in the CT), but effects on items and the CT does not. Now, I am not in the mood to go code delving, but it's either that these edges are hard-coded to do this or that adding/removing edges and abilities are a special case in the ruleset that gets treated differently from effects applied in other ways.

Yeah, you are right. It is late and I missed the point about the Wiki being wrong. I am pretty sure that is typo. I have pretty good idea of how pace sometimes changes on the character sheet. We can add a modifier inside the character sheet instead of the CT. However being tired the sensible thing is to step away from the code right now.

Lonewolf
June 26th, 2022, 19:33
Ok back and more awake. Here is whole story on how pace is calculated. The idea here is just show how the input changes the VTT output. With the hope that it is useful information for those people adding additional automated effects.

Pace never has a die value. Pace + Run die. Pace is just a number that will accept addition or subtraction. [Pace +1] or [Pace -1]. If you wanted to say double pace 6 to 12 you could use [pace +6]. Or even [Pace =12].
Run on the other hand always has a die value and defaults to d6. So [Run +1d] gives d8.

Depending on where you place the change it will effect the game in different ways.

On a character sheet inside of an edge: It will change the internal calculation on the sheet and show the updated values. When the character is place on the CT the new values get copied across. It will be taken into account for run rolls.

If you place the modifer on an item: It will not change the internal calculation on the sheet and show the updated values. It will not show on the CT either. However it will be taken into account for run rolls.

If you place it on the CT like when a spell is cast: It will not go back and change the internal calculation on the chracter sheet and show the updated values. However everyone can see it on the CT and it will be taken into account for run rolls.

I know that is clear as mud. So here is doodle becuase I am terrible an explaining stuff 53320
This pattern should be the same for any modifer in theory. Add inside of an edge and the numbers on character sheet change and they can be carried across to the CT. Placing a modifier else where does not change character sheet directly. The logic here is they are temporary changes brough about by using an item or spell.

Lonewolf
July 1st, 2022, 12:03
Automatic ammunition count and auto fire set up. Hold down right mouse button on attack die. Pick the number of attacks equal to the weapon ROF. It will now roll the right number of dice and use factor in recoil
https://youtu.be/GhXQkUvfAQY?t=378

For three round burst add sub attack with effect [>#3RB]

Lonewolf
July 1st, 2022, 13:40
The post made in error that will not die

Lonewolf
July 1st, 2022, 13:44
Ok so you have a situation where a character gets a skill package. For example there is setting rule in the new super powers companion that at some point. The super hero team gets not just an advance but a training montage that adds a bunch of stuff. Here how you do that:

Lets add the Edge "Trained by a master". I just made that up so will have to design it with effects. It gives two extra abilities. A new Marksman ability adds a die to shooting. That character also gains a die in survival. When the Edge "Trained by a master" is dragged to the character it automatically adds the other stuff in one move 53381

I could have done this with a single edge that adds a bunch of effects. Or it could add one ability slot with lots of effects. Or you can break it down into mutiple abilities getting automaticaly added. Whatever you need it lets to drag a skill list onto the character.

Lonewolf
July 2nd, 2022, 11:04
Coin weight is accounted for in SWADE. For settings where you don't want a character to put 1000 gold coins in each pocket and then run for miles.
In game option the default setting is on. If you don't want this in your game switch if off.

To set up: Go into currencies and add coin weights

Now when a character gets coins they add combined weight to encumbrance. If you got something that you need to track that has trade value and not a coin. There a new text box that scrolls under the coins. 53394

Jiminimonka
July 2nd, 2022, 22:45
/roll natural healing

and

/roll bleeding out

With the space between words work fine.

Lonewolf
July 13th, 2022, 17:14
Liquid Courage [Vigor +1d, Agility> -1, Smarts> -1, Ignore Wounds -1, Toughness +1]

FrodoB
July 13th, 2022, 18:19
I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to tell me...?
Is this another pre-defined effect that is not in the list of global effects?

icecrmman
July 16th, 2022, 08:11
How do you write the effect to add a d6 to damage similar to Giant Killer?

FrodoB
July 16th, 2022, 09:44
Please open a seperate thread for "How do I...?" questions.
This thread is intended to document things not yet in the Wiki and I'd like to keep it on topic. :)

Mike Serfass
July 17th, 2022, 21:31
Turns out icecrmman's question is an undocumented answer. :)
FrodoB, as you requested, here's the "Extra" keyword as I have it in my document.

The Extra effect instructs FG to roll an additional (extra) die. The Extra keyword doesn’t use + because it adds an additional specified die; it doesn’t modify the current dice. It can be used with the > prefix. It applies in Combat Tracker, on weapons and powers, on Edges, and on items.

Damage
The Extra keyword combined with the Damage keyword will roll an additional die of the given type with damage rolls. This includes personal weapons, vehicle weapons, and powers.
You can’t indicate specific damage, e.g. [Extra:Ranged Damage =2d]. Specifying an attack type disables the effect.
The @ prefix doesn’t apply. It can’t lower incoming damage because Extra adds a die to a roll.

Notation
[Extra:Damage =xd]
Where the optional > prefix can be used, the Extra keyword is followed by a colon, Damage is that specific keyword, followed by the required = assignment and a die type.

Examples
[Extra:Damage =1d]
Rolls an extra d4 with all damage rolls. This includes weapons on the combat tab, Powers on the powers tab, and vehicle weapons the character is assigned to.

[>Extra:Damage =3d]
Rolls an additional d8 with damage rolls for this specific weapon or power.

Traits
You can indicate all Traits or specific Skills or Attributes to roll an extra die for. When applying to multiple Traits, you must use the Extra: prefix with each | delimiter. Failing to use Extra: after the | delimiter causes unexpected behavior. See examples below.

Notation
[{>}Extra:TRAIT =xd]
Where the optional > prefix can be used, the Extra keyword is followed by a colon, TRAIT is either the keyword Trait or is a Skill or Attribute name, followed by the required = assignment and a die type.

Attack Types
Attack types (Ranged, Melee, Thrown, Bomb) don’t work with this keyword.

Examples
[Extra:Trait =2d]
Rolls an extra d6 with all Trait rolls. This includes attack rolls on the combat tab and Power activation rolls on the powers tab.

[Extra:Trait|Extra:Damage =2d]
Rolls an additional d6 with all Traits and all damage rolls.

[Extra:Notice =3d]
The extra d8 is rolled just for Notice.

[Extra:Fighting|Extra:Shooting =1d]
Rolls an extra d4 for both Fighting and Shooting.

[Extra:Athletics|Extra:Fighting|Extra:Shooting =1d]
Adds an extra d4 to all attack rolls.

Gotchas
[Extra:Psionics|Smarts =3d]
Rolls an extra d8 for Psionics, and sets Smarts rolls to a d4 with no extra die rolled.

[Extra:Ranged =1d]
This does not work because it doesn’t recognize attack types. Use Shooting and/or Throwing instead of Ranged.

FrodoB
July 18th, 2022, 12:11
Thank you for the thorough explanation, I'll add it to the first post when I find the time :)

Lonewolf
July 31st, 2022, 21:40
Liquid Courage [Vigor +1d, Agility> -1, Smarts> -1, Ignore Wounds -1, Toughness +1]

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to tell me...?
Is this another pre-defined effect that is not in the list of global effects?The Liquid Courage edge does not have a listed pre-defined effect. However this fixes it. It also provided an example of mutiple traits being modified by a single line in the combat tracker.

Jiminimonka
January 6th, 2023, 13:59
Has Double Tap been added?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60945-Savage-Rifts-Feedback-and-Issues&p=672790&viewfull=1#post672790

Jiminimonka
January 6th, 2023, 14:08
Turns out icecrmman's question is an undocumented answer. :)
FrodoB, as you requested, here's the "Extra" keyword as I have it in my document.

The Extra effect instructs FG to roll an additional (extra) die. The Extra keyword doesn’t use + because it adds an additional specified die; it doesn’t modify the current dice. It can be used with the > prefix. It applies in Combat Tracker, on weapons and powers, on Edges, and on items.

Damage
The Extra keyword combined with the Damage keyword will roll an additional die of the given type with damage rolls. This includes personal weapons, vehicle weapons, and powers.
You can’t indicate specific damage, e.g. [Extra:Ranged Damage =2d]. Specifying an attack type disables the effect.
The @ prefix doesn’t apply. It can’t lower incoming damage because Extra adds a die to a roll.

Notation
[Extra:Damage =xd]
Where the optional > prefix can be used, the Extra keyword is followed by a colon, Damage is that specific keyword, followed by the required = assignment and a die type.

Examples
[Extra:Damage =1d]
Rolls an extra d4 with all damage rolls. This includes weapons on the combat tab, Powers on the powers tab, and vehicle weapons the character is assigned to.

[>Extra:Damage =3d]
Rolls an additional d8 with damage rolls for this specific weapon or power.

Traits
You can indicate all Traits or specific Skills or Attributes to roll an extra die for. When applying to multiple Traits, you must use the Extra: prefix with each | delimiter. Failing to use Extra: after the | delimiter causes unexpected behavior. See examples below.

Notation
[{>}Extra:TRAIT =xd]
Where the optional > prefix can be used, the Extra keyword is followed by a colon, TRAIT is either the keyword Trait or is a Skill or Attribute name, followed by the required = assignment and a die type.

Attack Types
Attack types (Ranged, Melee, Thrown, Bomb) don’t work with this keyword.

Examples
[Extra:Trait =2d]
Rolls an extra d6 with all Trait rolls. This includes attack rolls on the combat tab and Power activation rolls on the powers tab.

[Extra:Trait|Extra:Damage =2d]
Rolls an additional d6 with all Traits and all damage rolls.

[Extra:Notice =3d]
The extra d8 is rolled just for Notice.

[Extra:Fighting|Extra:Shooting =1d]
Rolls an extra d4 for both Fighting and Shooting.

Gotchas
[Extra:Psionics|Smarts =3d]
Rolls an extra d8 for Psionics, and sets Smarts rolls to a d4 with no extra die rolled.

[Extra:Ranged =1d]
This does not work because it doesn’t recognize attack types. Use Shooting and/or Throwing instead of Ranged.

Can you do [Extra : Damage =2d+1] ?

Lonewolf
July 18th, 2023, 01:35
Here is really good post from Mike

Immunity negates all or some damage from a damage type.
Invulnerability negates all damage from all sources, except any specified.

[@Invulnerability]
makes the character invulnerable to everything.

[@Invulnerability, @Normal Silver Damage]
makes the character impervious to everything except silver.

[@Invulnerability, @Halve Arcane Damage]
makes the character impervious to everything, but take half damage from arcane (spells).

[@Invulnerability, @Double Melee Damage]
makes the character impervious to everything, except melee damage, which causes double damage.

Immunity is like the flip of that.

[@Immunity Frost]
makes the character take no damage from frost, and take damage as normal from everything else.

[@Immunity Arcane|Frost]
the character is immune to spells and frost. So a frost blade only tickles, and powers ruffle her hair, but no harm is done.

Note that
[@Immunity]
makes the character immune to all incoming damage because you didn't specific what the character is immune to, so it defaults to everything.

If a character is unharmed by everything except silver and sunlight, it's easier to use @Invulnerability.
If the character is unharmed only by a couple of damage types, use @Immune.

Immunity takes damage type keywords.
Invulnerability uses the keywords @Normal, @Halve, @Double.
There's no @Quarter or @Triple. @Halve@Halve doesn't quarter. @Double @Double doesn't quadruple damage. I tried those.

I hope that clarifies.

Lonewolf
July 18th, 2023, 01:41
More examples nicked from another thread :p

Toughness has some variations.

[Toughness +4]
adds 4 to general Toughness, of course.

[Arcane Toughness +4]
adds 4 Toughness only against powers.

[Arcane Toughness -2]
lowers Toughness against spell damage by 2. This makes a nice cursed item for an annoying character.

[Ranged Toughness +4]
makes the character tougher against shot weapons.

You recognize those built-in attack / damage keywords?

[Arcane Defense +2]
makes powers harder to affect. The caster must make a TN 6 against this character.

[Arcane Defense -2]
makes powers easier to affect. The caster must make only a TN 2 against this character.

[@Arcane Damage -2]
decreases incoming arcane damage by 2 points

[@Arcane Damage +2]
increases incoming arcane damage by 2 points (another nice cursed item or heritage weakness effect)

[>Arcane Damage +2]
increases the outgoing power / spell damage. Put this on a power or wand / arcane device, for example.

Arcane can be replaced by Melee, Ranged, Thrown.
Are you starting to see the pattern?

That should get you on your way.

Lonewolf
September 10th, 2023, 02:01
You can have an ITEM with the effect attached. If the weapon is not equipped the attack will not appear in combat tab. The modifier will also not apply. If the item is equipped. It appears on combat tab and the modifier kicks in. Without > the effect will always apply to every roll of that skill. Even if you use a different weapon. This item has an effect in game that improves every roll of any weapon. If the > is used then only attacks from that one weapon is modified

The alterative is there is NO ITEM. For example we have a monk with cool martial arts. An attack is added to the combat tab and will always be there because there is no item to unequip. It the case the > must be used for the effect to apply to that innate attack. Without the > the same effect will not work- So that working to

Possible use cases:
Amulet of Badass [Fighting +1] adds +1 all melee weapons.
Dagger of Badass [>Fighting +1] if you roll to attack with this weapon.
Punch of Badass is also [>Fighting +1] but the effect is on an attack added directly to combat tab. There is nothing to equip because its a punch. However note that it usually better to add +1 directly to the die roll and not bother adding an effect string at all.

Jiminimonka
January 1st, 2024, 12:02
From Discord

Well you could make the damage str!+d# this would increase the strength die by 1, you can add +2 attack modifier to the dice and +2 to the damage.

This kinda thing should be in the wiki

and this:

Str?+d12

Forces FG to use the d12 for damage.

https://discord.com/channels/274582899045695488/274634463860883458/710114733663191090

Mike Serfass
January 1st, 2024, 15:45
Thanks Jiminimonka! I ran into this very situation last game.

For clarity, these formulas are put into the damage field of individual attacks on the Combat tab.
I agree this should be in the wiki.

btw

Str!?+1d10
will increase the strength die rolled by one and roll a d12 for weapon damage. So a character with d4 strength could swing a huge weapon for d6+d12 damage.