PDA

View Full Version : HackMaster Ruleset/charsheet

Tassadar237
September 21st, 2007, 00:27
I am trying to make a ruleset/charsheet that is usable with HackMaster. There is some evidence that this has been accomplished before. If so, can anyone help me? Or better yet, is anyone willing to share (Most likely in the form of letting me join a session using it, or something)?

Toadwart
September 21st, 2007, 05:54
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible Tassadar. HackMaster is the property of Kenzer&Co so no-one should be spreading around that kind of ruleset without their permission.

I actually have an HM ruleset (PHB only). However, have had no joy trying to get the thing published. Kenzer just didn't seem interested. Though thats possibly due to the fact that the current edition is based on AD&D and their license from WOTC to use that material is due to expire.

I'm hoping they will be a bit more approachable about a 5th edition HM ruleset.

GoOrange
September 21st, 2007, 14:03
Unfortunately I don't think it's possible Tassadar. HackMaster is the property of Kenzer&Co so no-one should be spreading around that kind of ruleset without their permission.

I actually have an HM ruleset (PHB only). However, have had no joy trying to get the thing published. Kenzer just didn't seem interested. Though thats possibly due to the fact that the current edition is based on AD&D and their license from WOTC to use that material is due to expire.

Just creating a homemade charactersheet for FG2 should be fine. Just don't have any library data or modules that reproduce the printed rules.

Tassadar237
September 21st, 2007, 23:58

What about helping me create my own? I could use some advice.

Tassadar237
September 22nd, 2007, 00:00
Just creating a homemade charactersheet for FG2 should be fine. Just don't have any library data or modules that reproduce the printed rules.
Yeah, just a character sheet would be immensely helpful, as I had expected to enter all the library stuff myself.

Toadwart
September 22nd, 2007, 01:36
What's your knowledge level?
Do you understand the basics of the xml notation?
Also: have you read through the Ruleset Modification Guide? (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/)

There are two basic approaches.
a)
Create .png images for each charactersheet page and draw the fields (and label text) directly on these images.
The xml is then simply a matter of creating string/number controls and lining them up over the fields drawn on the image.
This approach is simple to understand/implement but not very flexible (e.g. moving a field means editing both the image and the xml)
I'd only recommend using this approach if you really don't want to get too heavily into the xml side of things.

b)
Create a 'blank page' image to use as the background for your charactersheet and images to represent number/string fields.
These could be as simple as rectanges filled with a single color (the rectangle(s) for string/number fields being a different color to the background of course)
The xml then has to define the type and location of the fields as well as the image to be used.
This approach gives you greater flexibility. Moving a field is just a matter of editing the xml.

I don't have time right now to cover all of the details of charactersheet xml. I'd recommend having a good read through all of the documentation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/library/)
and playing around with a copy of the d20 charactersheet.
Also search through the workshop forum for posts containing "charactersheets" or "charsheet" may turn up some helpful info.
You might also want to download and play around with this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6314
It's a simple example of method a.