PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Question

Shane_Mclean
September 19th, 2007, 00:29
Hi folks,

I can't find any documentation with the SW ruleset, so if there is some somewhere please could you point me towards it.

Here are a few issues I have spotted whilst having a look (I am new to FG, too, so please excuse anything obvious I get wrong).

1) Wild Die penalties on auto Wild Die are not applied with unskilled attempts. In the rules the -2 is applied to both the unskilled d4 and the Wild Die. In the FG version it only applies to the skill. I spotted this using the attack icon in the character sheet. I know that I can roll a global modifier in, but then it counts double for the actual unskilled d4.

2) The weapon damage value on the character sheet is only allowing +/- numbers. In new iterations of the SW rules weapon damage can be represented by dice, not fixed values. How can I enable this?

3) I can't get one NPC to target another. I looked at the docs for FG in the library, but that didn't help. What am I doing wrong?

4) NPCs on the Personalities sheet don't seem to have automated attacks like PCs do. Is this the case, or am I missing something?

5) I have found the Wild Die toggle. Is there a further option that will only roll the Wild Die when I make tests with Wild Card characters when using the personality sheets?

6) Can I as a GM drag PCs from my PC store to use as GMPCs in a game?

Sorry if I have a lot of questions, but I have to say I am very disappointed with the documentation for FG, which is a pity as it looks to be a great tool.

Thanks for your help,

Shane

kalmarjan
September 19th, 2007, 04:24
I will try and answer some of these questions:

5) I have found the Wild Die toggle. Is there a further option that will only roll the Wild Die when I make tests with Wild Card characters when using the personality sheets?

IIRC, you can click the wild die icon, and it will roll JUST the wild die.

6) Can I as a GM drag PCs from my PC store to use as GMPCs in a game?[/quote]

You can open another instance of FGII as a player, and log in and choose another character.

Hope that helps.

Kalan
September 19th, 2007, 05:59
Hej Shane :) Welcome to FG! Now lets see if we can't knock these off one at a time!

1) Wild Die penalties on auto Wild Die are not applied with unskilled attempts. In the rules the -2 is applied to both the unskilled d4 and the Wild Die. In the FG version it only applies to the skill. I spotted this using the attack icon in the character sheet. I know that I can roll a global modifier in, but then it counts double for the actual unskilled d4.

In normal practice - when making unskilled die rolls, you're better off using the modifier box to put in the -2, then rolling the die manually instead of using the sheets (thus if the Wild Die toggle is ON, the Wild Die will take the penalty automatically) - as the sheets are primarily designed to work IF you have the specific skills. From what I recall on the weapon section - we had to code in the unskilled fighting/shooting/throwing in order to make the code work when there IS a skill present.

We will look into automating the unskilled penalty on the Wild Die ONLY on the Weapon section tho - coding it to work anywhere else involves way too many variables to code properly.

2) The weapon damage value on the character sheet is only allowing +/- numbers. In new iterations of the SW rules weapon damage can be represented by dice, not fixed values. How can I enable this?
Just drop the appropriate die onto the damage section. FX: For a Short Sword, just drag your strength die onto the field, then drag another d6 onto it - and that's it.

3) I can't get one NPC to target another. I looked at the docs for FG in the library, but that didn't help. What am I doing wrong?
Likely nothing you're doing wrong - but this sounds like a limitation with FG, and not the SW implementation (as from what I recall, NPCs in the "out of the box" d20 can not target one another either). We'll look into this further, and IF we can get it to work, we'll let everyone know.

4) NPCs on the Personalities sheet don't seem to have automated attacks like PCs do. Is this the case, or am I missing something?
Mostly due to space limitations, we couldn't get in everything we wanted to as far as NPC entries are concerned. However, due to quite a lot of feedback on this issue, we're looking at improving the NPC sheets. It may mean a complete rebuild of the NPC listings - but again, we'll let everyone know when we're ready to.

Not right now, but again, this is something we are looking to improve if we can find it feasable to do. I recall that we couldn't do this due to the amounts of variables involved - but we'll revisit this issue again.

6) Can I as a GM drag PCs from my PC store to use as GMPCs in a game?
Not while running a GM client directly. As Kalmarajan pointed out, you can run a second session of FG as a player, and connect to your GM client to do this. It will involve a lot of tabbing between windows however.

You CAN tho - have another player run the NPCs for your if you need to - as Clients have the ability to run more than one PC at a time. If it truly is an NPC tho - you are better off creating a personality sheet for them as opposed to a PC. If its a matter of wanting to "speak" in character - if you were to click on the "speech bubble" on the NPC sheet, you will activate that NPC's "voice".

Sorry if I have a lot of questions, but I have to say I am very disappointed with the documentation for FG, which is a pity as it looks to be a great tool.

Thanks for your help,

Shane
All the documentation for FG can be found in the Library on this website. The documentation is really quite good for new users - but at this time is only available through this website.

Amd don't worry about the questions! Remember - the only stupid question is the one left unasked!

Take care! And hope this was helpful in some way!

V

Shane_Mclean
September 19th, 2007, 19:23
Thanks for the answers, folks. I'll look over the stuff and get back to you with any more questions I have.

Thanks again!

Shane