PDA

View Full Version : KP Deep Magic - Spell Sharing

Dudin
February 8th, 2022, 13:54
I have the module for Kobold Press's Deep Magic. In the book, it includes several groups of magic/spells that are supposed to be more forbidden/lost that are only available to NPCs or unless characters/PCs earn them. Examples of these schools of magic are blood and void magic.

My main frustration with the module as is, is that it shares every spell with the players. That means they see every spell including the supposedly forbidden ones. It also doesn't make it very convenient to tell quickly what school it comes from. This leads to the DM needing to hand check every caster to see if they pulled from spells they shouldn't have.

Is it possible with the module as is to control what spells are shared, or would I need to remake the whole module to control the spell sharing as the book intends?

Marquis_de_Taigeis
February 8th, 2022, 21:24
if each of the sections of the book was its own seperate module, would probably be the best way to manage this

but could just have a bit of trust in players and say these are not permitted please dont add them to your character

Dudin
February 9th, 2022, 16:03
I agree. I would be happy if just the Appendix C content, the "Dark Magic" that is mainly meant for NPCs, was separated.

I don't think trust is the issue. It is just difficult for them to even know it is one of these forbidden spells just reading spell descriptions/titles in the spell window of FGU. It would save a lot of hassle and be a big QOL improvement if they were just isolated to begin with which I thought was the intention of the authors.

Minxdobby69
February 9th, 2022, 17:57
I agree. I would be happy if just the Appendix C content, the "Dark Magic" that is mainly meant for NPCs, was separated.

I don't think trust is the issue. It is just difficult for them to even it is one of these forbidden spells just reading spell descriptions/titles in the spell window of FGU. It would save a lot of hassle and be a big QOL improvement if they were just isolated to begin with which I thought was the intention of the authors.
As the KP dev, I’ll mention this to KP. Often it is hard to recreate the modules ‘as intended’ when it’s not spelled out ahead of time as I don’t read everything thoroughly before creating the module. Cheers!

Dudin
February 9th, 2022, 18:17
Thank you for the reply. That makes perfect sense to me and I don't blame you/hold a grudge. I appreciate your consideration and effort for this :)

Dudin
April 12th, 2022, 13:31
Was there ever any luck on your side to get KP's input on this?

Minxdobby69
April 13th, 2022, 18:38
Was there ever any luck on your side to get KP's input on this?

No there’s wasn’t any response to this. Perhaps post something on their website forum?

Cheers Minx.