PDA

View Full Version : Theogeek's Assassinate (5E only)

TheoGeek
February 7th, 2022, 01:18
UPDATE!!

Updated to 1.2 in the forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/698/view).
- Fix name to use new FGU client "Feature" filter.

--------------------

- Add advantage based on initiative order (regardless of the option selected below, advantage always depends on initiative order)
- Add Option to choose if advantage is "per combat" or "per round". Per combat only allows advantage on Round 1, while per round allows advantage on every round.

OK, this is a niche extension that I've only tested in a few cases, but it seems to work even with all the extensions I normally run with.

I'm not adding it to the forge yet and I'd like people who play more than I do to run it through it's paces so if you want to help check something out, have at it!

I wrote this as a coding exercise to address this question (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72458-On-the-topic-of-the-Assassin-rogue-subclass-and-critical-hits) on the 5E forums.

When this extension is loaded, if the attacker has an effect that includes the word "Assassinate" and the target has an effect named "Surprised", if the attack roll hits, it will be a critical hit and do critical damage.

It does NOT determine if the target is surprised, it merely checks for a "Surprised" effect.

Anyway, check it out if you want, and I'll add it to the forge if desired.

Thanks!

Ludd_G
June 29th, 2022, 22:47
Hi Theogeek.

What a great extension! I often see Rogue Assassins at the table and having some level of automation will really make a difference to both their immersion in the characters abilities and my ability to be on top of everything my players are up to! I use both JustinFreitas's awesome StealthTracker and bratch9's equally magnificent Surprise Round extensions, and this feels like the last piece of the Assassinate jigsaw!

One thing I'd love to see added is that Advantage Attack should only be applied against NPCs who are after the Assassin on the CT, is there any way of implementing this?

Cheers,

Simon

p.s. and i think you should definitely put this up on the forge, it's such a great complement to the other extensions I mention above.

TheoGeek
June 29th, 2022, 22:53
Thanks Simon!

I'll look into the advantage attack application...it'll be a good exercise. :) If I get it figured out, I'll let you know and you can test it for me (if you want that is) :)

Jeff.

Ludd_G
June 29th, 2022, 22:54
More than happy to! :D

nephranka
June 30th, 2022, 11:09
Very cool. Looking forward to using this one!

Ludd_G
June 30th, 2022, 13:12
Edit: I was mistaken, please ignore

TheoGeek
June 30th, 2022, 17:15
OK, I was working on this last night and I think I'm about ready to upload an updated version. If it looks good, I'll throw it on the forge.

I added the assassinate advantage against targets that haven't taken a turn in the combat yet. I'm going to make an option that basically house rules it so that advantage can be chosen between targets who haven't taken a turn THIS COMBAT or THIS ROUND. RAW is a per combat thing, but some may want a per round thing. That will take a little tweaking to get right so I'll upload the "per combat" version and the option later.

I'll try to upload it yet tonight!

Ludd_G
June 30th, 2022, 17:46
Awesome stuff!

TheoGeek
July 1st, 2022, 04:55
OK, got a new version.

Advantage always depends on initiative order regardless of the option.

The option ""Assassinate -> Advantage once per ..." can be either "round" (can gain advantage on any round) or "combat" (can gain advantage only during round 1).

The attacker must have the "Assassinate" effect for this to fire.

If the target has an effect named "Surprised", and it is active, regardless of he round or option, a hit will be promoted to a critical hit. This gives flexibility, but is also a house rule since a target can only be surprised in round 1.

Let me know if you encounter any strange behavior...I'll post it on the forge if it looks good.

Thanks!

Ludd_G
July 1st, 2022, 16:03
So, in my first round of testing, with it set up to trigger ADVATK only on round 1 of combat, and an effect that reads 'Assassinate', target 'Self', with an unlimited duration and set to never expend, it seems to work exactly as described RAW. I'm especially pleased to see that it triggers off the actual round number, which means the 'Assassinate' effect is drop-and-forget, automatically re-triggering with each new combat (as long as you remember to reset the round number to 1). Excellent stuff!

I also like that the effect works for the whole of the first round, enabling, for example, a Battle Master Fighter to use Commander's Strike in the first rounds on the assassin and still gain the assassin effect's. Excellent!

Integrating this with StealthTracker and Surprise Round extensions is incredible for the assassin PCs amongst us, and their overworked DMs!!! Tip Top!!!!

Cheers,

Simon

TheoGeek
July 1st, 2022, 16:41
I'm not familiar with the Surprise Round extension - I briefly looked and it uses Round 0...does any combat happen in that round? If so, the Assassinate extension may need some tweaking because it looks for Round = 1, so if combat happens in Round 0, it will not grant advantage.

And thanks for testing this out!

Ludd_G
July 1st, 2022, 17:01
In my playing Surprise Round is used prior to combat starting (which I guess would be viewed as a constant, whilst out of combat, Round '0'), and just checks Stealth -v- PP in selected PCs and NPCs, any actor whose PP fails against the opponent's Stealth has 'Surprised' placed on the combat tracker, which is then picked up by your extension in Round 1 of combat. The 'Surprised' condition falls off after their turn on the CT, thus indicating they can now use their Reactions.

In my testing this works perfectly for setting up ambushes, stumbling upon enemies whilst sneaking around, bursting through doors against hopefully unsuspecting enemies etc. etc. And if any of your sneaky types happen to be an Assassin, well that's where the pre-placed Surprised condition automatically ties into your extension on Round 1, without me having to adjudicate. So, this works on Round '0' (before combat), prior to your extension triggering on Round '1', so I'm pretty sure there's no need for you to adjust anything, which is always a good thing! :D

Thanks again for your work!

Cheers,

Simon

TheoGeek
July 1st, 2022, 17:06
Great! Thanks again!

I'll be putting this on the forge after work today!

Ludd_G
July 1st, 2022, 17:08
Excellent!

TheoGeek
July 1st, 2022, 18:50
Added to the forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/698/view)!

TheoGeek
July 10th, 2022, 03:52
Updated to 1.01 to fix a tiny bug where the text in the options menu didn't show up.

TheoGeek
July 12th, 2022, 03:29
Updated to 1.1 to add an option for Surprised targets. Options are: "once per combat" (only effective in Round 1, initiative order applies), "once per round" (effective each round, initiative order applies), "whenever" (effective each round, initiative order does not apply).

Pretty much added for special cases where the DM might want to allow an assassin to surprise crit-hit a target that would normally not be "crittable" because of initiative order.

TheoGeek
July 20th, 2022, 05:12
Uploaded 1.1.1 to the forge to fix ActionAttack.applyAttack header change that resulted in an error.

nephranka
July 20th, 2022, 10:45
Uploaded 1.1.1 to the forge to fix ActionAttack.applyAttack header change that resulted in an error.

Was going to post for this one too. Good catch!

Ozsome
August 26th, 2022, 20:59
Sorry to be difficult but I can't get this to trigger the critical hit portion.
I built a test campaign and only loaded this ext.
I have "Assassinate; ADVATK; hit is critical if surprised" on the rogue and he is in the top of initiative.
The opponent has "Surprised; Cannot move, take actions or reactions" on it.

The attack rolls with advantage. When it hits, then the player rolls the damage, it does not trigger as a critical.
Is there any typo in the effects? Colon vs semi-colon?
I generally run about 15 extensions and very few problems so tried the test with only this one loaded, I am just not sure what I am probably overlooking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TheoGeek
August 27th, 2022, 01:35
Sorry to be difficult but I can't get this to trigger the critical hit portion.
I built a test campaign and only loaded this ext.
I have "Assassinate; ADVATK; hit is critical if surprised" on the rogue and he is in the top of initiative.
The opponent has "Surprised; Cannot move, take actions or reactions" on it.

The attack rolls with advantage. When it hits, then the player rolls the damage, it does not trigger as a critical.
Is there any typo in the effects? Colon vs semi-colon?
I generally run about 15 extensions and very few problems so tried the test with only this one loaded, I am just not sure what I am probably overlooking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmmm..

There is an option for the extension that is defaulted to "Once Per Combat" per the rules as written, so if you haven't changed that option, if the round is anything greater than 1, it won't crit even if you have advantage because the rules say it's only a first round of combat thing.

So, your "Assassinate; ADVATK; hit is critical if surprised" string is forcing an advantaged attack because of the "ADVATK" text, but if you are outside of round 1, it won't crit unless you set the "Advantage" option to "Once per round".

Let me know if that's it!

Leprekorn
December 28th, 2022, 18:22
This extension isn't working for me an an existing campaign which I have other extensions running in so there is a conflict somewhere I just need to figure out where now.

TheoGeek
December 30th, 2022, 16:55
This extension isn't working for me an an existing campaign which I have other extensions running in so there is a conflict somewhere I just need to figure out where now.

Did you get anything more figured out with this? I probably won't have time to look into it for a few days.

Leprekorn
December 30th, 2022, 17:05
Not atm but will defo get round to it over the next few days

TheoGeek
January 1st, 2023, 23:33
I just tried it with a test campaign of mine, and it worked as it was supposed to, so it might come down to disabling all the extensions and re-enabling them bit by bit until it quits working. The campaign I tested with has all the extensions I run with (23!) as follows:

5E_Language_Fonts_FR_Wizards
5E_Language_Fonts_Wizards
CoreRPG-Combat-Highlighter
CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay
Extended Fantasy Fonts
Theogeek-Assassinate
Theogeek-ImprovedCritical
Token Height
WindowSaverX2
FG-Ammunition-Manager
InventorySearch
Theogeek-Nat20
Use Up Powers
878507-AutomaticSneakAttack
AdvancedEffects
GenericActions
EquippedEffects
BetterCombatEffectsGold
FriendZone
FG-Aura-Effect
StealthTracker
Theme_SirMotte_Hearth
Chat Aesthetics Configurator

When you get around to it, let me know what you find out.

Thanks!
Jeff.

Leprekorn
January 3rd, 2023, 17:48
Ok so really strange I set up a test campaign and copied my open exts xml from the campaign that was causing me issue. And it works in the test campaign. So there must be something else causing me the problem. But I'm flumxed as to what.

nephranka
January 5th, 2023, 01:59
I found a small conflict with 5e Elven Accuracy https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54030-5e-Elven-Accuracy

Rolls the ADV but not the crit damage.

TheoGeek
January 5th, 2023, 22:01
Thanks for the update! I'll see what I can find this weekend.

nephranka
January 5th, 2023, 23:54
Thanks!

Stv
January 6th, 2023, 00:11
I had a *very* quick look into this, and I'm not seeing this.
In your screenshot you didn't hit, which wouldn't trigger a crit.
Can you give nailed on steps to reproduce Nephranka?

Cheers, Steve

nephranka
January 6th, 2023, 00:53
Sorry about that. I was testing which ext was causing me an issue and must have had tired eyes and missed that. Or I was just happy that I found it but alas it is indeed a false alarm. Further testing (as in actually hitting) shows this is not the conflict I was looking for. Sorry for the wild goose chase and thank you for the feedback.

Back to the search.

Stv
January 6th, 2023, 01:14
No worries. It's always great to get people's feedback regarding use & errors/conflicts. Hope you find out what is causing your problems (as long ad it's not one of mine ^^ )

Cheers, Steve.

nephranka
January 6th, 2023, 17:57
Well now I can't find it so nothing to see here....

TheoGeek
January 6th, 2023, 22:42
Thanks guys!

nephranka
June 14th, 2023, 17:08
I note that you have listed this as "Feature (5e):: and not "Feature" in the ext list. It is not being picked up by the new filter that looks for "Feature". Passing it along.

TheoGeek
June 14th, 2023, 21:25
I note that you have listed this as "Feature (5e):: and not "Feature" in the ext list. It is not being picked up by the new filter that looks for "Feature". Passing it along.

Thanks! I'll get that fixed as soon as I can. :)

UPDATED in the forge!