PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Adventures 2d20 Ruleset

sirnoobsauce
January 30th, 2022, 18:25
Hey all,

A while back my group decided to run the Modiphius Star Trek Adventures (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/214552/Star-Trek-Adventures-Core-Rulebook) 2d20 system via FG, but there wasn't any official ruleset for it at the time (and as far as I can tell, there still isn't). So I figured that would be a good opportunity to finally learn the FG Ruleset API and make my own ruleset. I hadn't originally intended to share it or anything, but it looked like there still isn't really a good STA ruleset out there that I could find, so I figured I'd share it out in case other people also want to run the STA system.

I put together a quick gh-pages for documentation:

https://bakermd86.github.io/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/index

And you can download the pak file here (https://github.com/bakermd86/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/releases/latest)

Here are some example screenshots:

https://bakermd86.github.io/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/images/charsheet_full_example.png
https://bakermd86.github.io/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/images/ship_record_main.png
https://bakermd86.github.io/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/images/changing_record_colors.gif
https://bakermd86.github.io/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/images/lifepath_full_example.gif

damned
January 30th, 2022, 20:43
Very colourful! Looks great - well done sirnoobsauce.

bayne7400
January 30th, 2022, 20:50
Wow great job. Think about posting that on the Forge! I love the old Star Trek vibe

esmdev
January 30th, 2022, 20:53
Total awesomesauce! It looks so theme!

Edit: +1 for your documentation!

vegaserik
January 31st, 2022, 00:23
Looks great! There is an official one in the making but who know when and what it'll be like. The group doing it doesn't have the best track record. I love being able to change the pc sheet's colors! Looking forward to trying it out!

Jonbens
January 31st, 2022, 15:58
I love the look. I can try out the functionality when I get home. The 'Official' System is just on the cusp of being resubmitted by the Developer to Fantasy Grounds, but after that could still be a month. There is actually a community build some of us have been using, but no functionality added in a while. Any additional help is appreciated. :)

rbeard101
February 8th, 2022, 00:52
This looks FANTASTIC! I love the layout and format. I do have a question though. I'm trying to create NPCs and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change the attributes and Disciplines numbers. What's the secret?

sirnoobsauce
February 8th, 2022, 13:04
This looks FANTASTIC! I love the layout and format. I do have a question though. I'm trying to create NPCs and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change the attributes and Disciplines numbers. What's the secret?

It's a regular number field, so CTRL+mouse wheel.

vdubuis178
February 22nd, 2022, 13:57
This looks fantastic! Thank you so much.

Cailore
March 7th, 2022, 19:42
When you play using your ruleset, do you use the combat tracker at all?

sirnoobsauce
March 9th, 2022, 02:15
When you play using your ruleset, do you use the combat tracker at all?

I am still playing with the combat tracker, I have run two session with the work-in-progress build. You can get that here if you want to try it:

https://github.com/bakermd86/Fen-s-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset/releases/tag/v1.1.0b1

I haven't had time to fully test everything very robustly or document it, but yeah I have been working on the CT features for a bit.

sirnoobsauce
March 14th, 2022, 20:56
I put out a new version with a proper combat tracker that implements the back-and-forth nature of the turn order in the ruleset. Players have a button to request their turn, which will take a turn on whatever their active character is. The GM can just click the icon next to each CT entry to activate them, and then both the GM and the players have an end-turn button to pass the initiative back to the other side, or to keep the initiative (for players, assuming that they have 2 momentum available and have not already kept the initiative since the last time a hostile character took a turn).

Jonbens
March 27th, 2022, 02:56
Is there a way to change the background Art of the Game? I only get the basic choices when setting up the game.

JohnD
March 27th, 2022, 03:44
Looks really nice... great!

Jonbens
March 27th, 2022, 03:52
Hi, Just taking a deeper dive into the rules you created. Great job btw. Couple of questions. How do I add a token image to the Ship Sheet. Also, how do I change the Scale, Power and Crew Support on that same sheet, Finally, how do I select a Species on this, or is it just manually writing it in?

sirnoobsauce
April 12th, 2022, 18:24
Hi, Just taking a deeper dive into the rules you created. Great job btw. Couple of questions. How do I add a token image to the Ship Sheet. Also, how do I change the Scale, Power and Crew Support on that same sheet, Finally, how do I select a Species on this, or is it just manually writing it in?

The token images for the ships should be just drag/drop into the token field (just to the left of the name). And scale/power/crew support are all just normal numberfields, so CTRL+mousewheel to modify them. As for the species, yeah that is just a string field.

Jonbens
April 26th, 2022, 22:55
Is there any documentation or a demo video showing how to use different features?

Trenloe
April 27th, 2022, 00:58
Is there any documentation or a demo video showing how to use different features?
There's a documentation link in the first post.

Jonbens
May 4th, 2022, 03:19
Question about the look of the game. I can make an image into a decal to place on the tabletop, but I'm still left with one of 2 prechosen Fantasy related backgrounds (Daytime and Nighttime themes) behind everything and I can't seem to completely cover that up. Is there a way to allow other images to be used? Again, I don't mean the Decal, but the basic 'Theme' image behind everything.

vegaserik
May 6th, 2022, 07:53
Question about the look of the game. I can make an image into a decal to place on the tabletop, but I'm still left with one of 2 prechosen Fantasy related backgrounds (Daytime and Nighttime themes) behind everything and I can't seem to completely cover that up. Is there a way to allow other images to be used? Again, I don't mean the Decal, but the basic 'Theme' image behind everything.

Don't load a theme, just use the default one from the Star Trek rules.

Colgrevance
May 25th, 2022, 21:19
Thanks for sharing your ruleset! I'm wondering how you add additional dice to the roll - my players often buy additional dice with Momentum or Threat, and as far as I can see, the STA character sheets only lets you roll up to two dice. Is this not implemented, or am I missing something?

stephan_
May 25th, 2022, 22:13
You can right-click once you've picked up the 2d20 for additional ones (I think rolling the manual d20 under the chat window [+ any additional dice with right-click] may also work.

[Also took us a session to figure out.]

Colgrevance
May 25th, 2022, 22:36
You can right-click once you've picked up the 2d20 for additional ones (I think rolling the manual d20 under the chat window [+ any additional dice with righr-click] may also work.

[Also took us a session to figure out.]

Thank you, that did the trick!

(Using the manual dice under the chat window doesn't automatically assess the task's outcome, though. Or I just haven't found a way to do it correctly yet...)

stephan_
May 25th, 2022, 23:02
(At least in theory, as long as you set the Attribute and Discipline [and optionally the difficulty] on the character sheet, the manual roll should recognize it - though I haven't tested it out recently.]

Also note from the documentation: "The roll widget defaults 2d20 but you can get a single d20 by either dragging/clicking with the middle mouse button, or holding CTRL while dragging/clicking on the roll widget."

Colgrevance
May 25th, 2022, 23:09
I figured out why I couldn't get it to work with manual rolls: Task outcome is only calculated the first time you roll dice manually; you have to select Attribute and Discipline again for each roll (even if you want to use the exact same combination again).
I'm finding this behavior unintuitive, but now I know how it works it's not really a problem.

CowsRespectMe
September 11th, 2022, 02:13
Is there a trick to making Talents? I added them in the button labeled "Talents" and followed the rules for "Requirements" in the documentation. When I try to add a talent from the wizard, I get an error:

Script execution error: [string "lifepath/scripts/lifepath_add_link_button.l..."]:47: attempt to index a nil value

Is there a different way I should be adding them? Do they need a category name?

CowsRespectMe
September 17th, 2022, 16:10
EDITED: In case anyone stumbles across this, talents cannot have an empty string under requirements. The wizard parses them correctly as described in the documentation if they were created within the same session. However, it seems that upon saving and reloading, any talent with an empty string loses it's "requirements" property entirely (I'm assuming this a compression optimization on FGU's end). Always fill the field with "None" if it has no requirements.

CowsRespectMe
September 18th, 2022, 18:13
Also, be aware that adding talents that require attribute scores (e.g., listing "Daring 10+" in the talent's requirements) such as those found in the Operations or Science Division supplemental books seems breaks the wizard. It seems only Disciplines are searched in that manner, and that if any other word appears before a "NUMBER+" it will render all functionality related to talents in the wizard unusable.

YggBjorn
June 26th, 2023, 03:28
What is the possibility of releasing a version of a 2d20 ruleset without any setting applied to it? The Modiphius Conan 2d20 license is closing within a week, which means the current official Conan 2d20 ruleset for FGU probably won't be getting any development to fix the problems it has and increase it's playability. If someone released a 2d20 skeleton ruleset there are people who would gladly take the time to input the info from the books/pdfs they own so they could host a game. It would also allow people to input setting info for games they have homebrewed outside of the properties Modiphius has created.

superteddy57
June 26th, 2023, 04:00
That would actually be tough since the dice rolling would be the same, many other wrinkles appear in each setting they have released. Each of the rulesets I created had a ton of differences between the two. From the number of attributes and skills, to how items and combat are handled. The most universal system would be (my opinion) would be Dune as it needs to cover many aspects without drilling down too deep. An universal 2d20 system wouldn't be an easy task without a ton of work.

YggBjorn
June 27th, 2023, 09:59
That is unfortunate.

sirnoobsauce
July 1st, 2023, 14:34
That would actually be tough since the dice rolling would be the same, many other wrinkles appear in each setting they have released. Each of the rulesets I created had a ton of differences between the two. From the number of attributes and skills, to how items and combat are handled. The most universal system would be (my opinion) would be Dune as it needs to cover many aspects without drilling down too deep. An universal 2d20 system wouldn't be an easy task without a ton of work.

Yeah, in a system like Savage Worlds you have a generic set of rules that are shared by a bunch of different settings, but 2d20 is more of a set of general concepts (rolling dice pools against some target number, momentum, etc.). But then most of the rules in each 2d20 setting are different. For example: The Conan setting has a bunch of discreet skills each linked to a specific physical attribute, while Star Trek has six each of disciplines and attributes that can be combined however you want. Even something as simple as creating a control for a player to do a roll would require different functionality for the two.

You could create a generic 2d20 ruleset easily enough, but it wouldn't be playable by itself. Rather it would function like a base class that other rulesets would have to extend in order to implement the particular functionality of each different 2d20 setting. But I don't know how useful it would truly be, because the sorts of things that you could share between (for example) Star Trek and Conan is relatively small. Most of the functionality of each ruleset would have to be custom-implemented for each one.