PDA

View Full Version : Interface questions regarding savage worlds ruleset

longarms
September 17th, 2007, 00:31
When you are raising a trait on a PC sheet or a personality sheet, do you have to make the adjustment by dropping a new die next to the trait? I find this tedious when creating new NPCs. I apparently have to drag and drop the dice onto the personality sheet. This is tedious: I should be able to click on the trait I want to modify, then select a key on the keyboard to modify which die is shown.

How can I make the -3 wounds penalty automatically apply to trait checks and skill checks? Do I have to scroll the modifier box every time to account for the wounds? This is cumbersome.

Kalan
September 17th, 2007, 05:26
We are aware of die-stat issue - however at this time, due to limitations within FGII itself (fx: we don't have access to complete "sub-menus"), we just can't do anything else. We are working on ways to make this easier, we're just not quite there yet.

I found the best way to handle it is to do "sets" - fx: if you have a bunch of stats at the same "level" - set one at the correct die, then just drag the die from the one you set onto the others. Its a little quicker, but is about the only trick we have right now.

As for trait rolls - you should be able to just drag/drop the trait modifier onto the modifier box. Alternatively - you can setup a hotkey for each "wound level", then just hit the appropriate key prior to rolling the die. The main problem for automating this would be telling the system "when", since the GM doesn't have a set "identity" all the time. We can look into automating this on the PC side tho.

Hope that helps some! :)

V

longarms
September 18th, 2007, 16:46
Thanks for the "sets" shortcut - that is a good suggestion. I'll keep my figures crossed that you can get access to the code or whatever you need to allow keyboard input in the future.

"The main problem for automating this would be telling the system "when", since the GM doesn't have a set "identity" all the time. We can look into automating this on the PC side tho."

Can't you just set a condition that whenever the DM drags an attribute/skill die from an entry in the initiative tracker, said die is modified by the entry's wounds/fatigue value? I don't know much about software, but that seems like a simple if/then statement. That improvement would definitely make this ruleset faster! funer! and furiouser!

As you pointed out, this would also be automatable on the PC side.

joshuha
September 18th, 2007, 17:44
How can I make the -3 wounds penalty automatically apply to trait checks and skill checks? Do I have to scroll the modifier box every time to account for the wounds? This is cumbersome.

Well you can build a few hotkeys for the wound penalties so for instance hitting F5 puts -1, F6 -2, F7 -3 into the modifier box automatically. This isn't something we can or really want to automate to this extent.

The issue becomes then what about rolling damage, what if the roll is for a fear table, or essentially any non-trait roll. Then you have to identify what is and isnt a trait roll somehow and try and automate all of that which is really impossible to do (and something I don't think PEG wants us to do).

As far as NPCs, the same philosophy applies but its even harder as Wounds/Fatigue for an NPC exist only on the tracker and not on the personality. Thus rolling from the NPC it isn't aware of how many wounds it has because it isn't aware of the tracker. (So if you drag one goblin to the tracker 10 times to create 10 entries, its still only one NPC sheet).