PDA

View Full Version : Core Rules Update 2022

cdjensen99
January 24th, 2022, 15:18
Hello, I was wondering if the Core Rules Update 2022 is in the works or will be in the works at some point?

MadBeardMan
January 31st, 2022, 08:19
Hello, I was wondering if the Core Rules Update 2022 is in the works or will be in the works at some point?

In the works once the current books are finished, so expect start next month.

Thanks,
MBM

Boldtaar
February 18th, 2022, 13:19
As I understand the new rule book will be a new item to buy.
Can you load it into a existing campaign and then unload the old one or will you have to create a new campaign?

MadBeardMan
February 18th, 2022, 14:07
As I understand the new rule book will be a new item to buy.
Can you load it into a existing campaign and then unload the old one or will you have to create a new campaign?

The 2022 Rulebook will be a new item to buy, as it's a complete new conversion, but you won't need it if you don't want it.

Your campaigns are not linked to rulebooks, so swapping out one module for another won't change anything. The only issue you may experience is any data you've linked directly from the core rulebook. A pop-up reminder will warn you of this if you unload that rulebook.

So all in all, there shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks,
MBM

adzling
February 20th, 2022, 15:43
The 2022 Rulebook will be a new item to buy, as it's a complete new conversion, but you won't need it if you don't want it.
MBM

While I understand that you need to be compensated for your time I have to say this is very dissapointing.
It will create two very slightly different rule-sets for mongoose 2e that will only continue to diverge as the update for high guard eventually gets released.

In addition it will cause endless confusion when new FGU players are getting into the game (why are there two version of the core rules? why are there two version of high guard? etc).

My humble suggestion is to offer the updated core rules at a heavily discounted price to those who currently own the mg2e core rules.

I know you have no control over this MBM, I'd suggest discussing this with Matt & the FGU Team.

thanks

esmdev
February 20th, 2022, 17:22
I think the whole 2022 update is poorly done. The title is just bad, it makes it seem like they plan to produce yearly core rules updates just changing the year like an almanac.

Since it seems like, based on their forum posts, that this is going to be done through more books than core and high guard, it is going to increase the confusion and annoyance.

Mongoose would have done better just calling it third edition.

MadBeardMan
February 23rd, 2022, 17:58
I think the whole 2022 update is poorly done. The title is just bad, it makes it seem like they plan to produce yearly core rules updates just changing the year like an almanac.

Since it seems like, based on their forum posts, that this is going to be done through more books than core and high guard, it is going to increase the confusion and annoyance.

Mongoose would have done better just calling it third edition.

They didn't want to do it as a 3rd edition, as it's not really changed. It's more a refresh and mass content sweep update. You won't need to buy any of them, and being honest here, I've gotta work out how both should be called the same and have the same ruleset, but not overwrite each other, so in other words, if you happen to have the Core Rulebook, it should still exist if you get the 2022 update, yet the ruleset needs to be the same so Referee's can use either.

Honestly, I'd have preferred more new books, than a refresh.

Cheers.
MBM

adzling
February 23rd, 2022, 18:09
Yes the best way for this to work would be to update to the existing mg2e ruleset to "2022 updated version" and charge a discounted fee.
At the same time replace the existing mg2e with the newly updated "2022 updated version" in the FGU store.

That would ensure we do not have two competing rules versions, people with existing ruleset have an option to update at a reasonable price and existing players who want to stick with mg2e as is can.

Otherwise this will cause a real problem for existing traveller fgu players imho

MadBeardMan
February 23rd, 2022, 18:13
Yes the best way for this to work would be to update to the existing mg2e ruleset to "2022 updated version" and charge a discounted fee.
At the same time replace the existing mg2e with the newly updated "2022 updated version" in the FGU store.

That would ensure we do not have two competing rules versions, people with existing ruleset have an option to update at a reasonable price and existing players who want to stick with mg2e as is can.

Otherwise this will cause a real problem for existing traveller fgu players imho

Hi adzling,

Let me think on this. I've got a lovely idea (I did get myself a fresh cup of tea). And I'll run it by Matt and see what he says.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
February 23rd, 2022, 18:30
thanks MBM you really are a good chap, I also emailed Matt directly.

With the impending updates to High Guard and Pirates of Drinax this problem is only going to grow.

An example: I purchased the Traveller core rules as a PDF, the mg2e ruleset on FGU and now I have bought the hard-cover/special edition 2022 update.
It would be an insult to force me to pay full price for the traveller core 2022 rules update in FGU.
Then do the same for High Guard.
Then do the same for PoD.

kronovan
February 23rd, 2022, 22:43
At the same time replace the existing mg2e with the newly updated "2022 updated version" in the FGU store.mho

As far as I'm concerned this is far from the ideal way of doing it. It's only been slightly more than a year that I've owned the MgT2e ruleset for FGU and I still can't effectively run my homebrew due to features in the MgT2e core rulebook having not been implemented yet. And now it's being suggested I shoiuld pay additional $ while I continue wating - no thanks.

Why can't 2022 update be done the way it was with the Savage Worlds Deluxe (SWD) and Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE) rulesets for FGU? With those, I can use all of my SWD content with SWADE, despite the newer edition of those rules having had far more significant changes than MgT2e 2022 update. If therer's a feature in any of my SWD DLC that's changed or omitted in SWADE, SWADE compensates and continues as businesss as normal, with no errors. Meanwhile, GMs wanting to continue with SWD can keep running their DLC withhout problems. If backward compatibility can be maintaind with other rulesets that have undergone much bigger changes, why can't it be so with MgT2e update 2022?

I for one are going to be one unhappy customer if I stop receiving updates to MgT2e because I didn't buy the 2022 update - especially considering some featuures haven't even been implemented yet..

adzling
February 23rd, 2022, 22:58
If the 2022 update cost for existing mg2e owners was a small amount it would be fine.
If the 2022 update cost approaches a complete ruleset cost it would be a non-starter.
So it all depends upon what that cost might be.

For example an update cost of $10/15 would be great imho and inline with the amount of changes.

MadBeardMan
February 24th, 2022, 12:38
Hi All,

So when I built the MGT2E ruleset it was built 'away' from the rulebooks.

So when 2022 Core Rulebook is released, it will come with the same ruleset that the current 2020 book does, and thus when the ruleset is updated, both 'products' will be updated.

At the moment, it looks like 2022 Core books will be new versions as far as FGU is concerned. The current versions won't be retired, as with a lot of RPG's, some people just like what version they're used to.

There's no need to buy the 2022 Core Rulebook, though please do (!), and after speaking with Matt on the cost, it will not be full cost.

The way the FG store works, it will appear at the top when released, but I want to get them to put an advice on the current version to tell people to pick up the 2022. A bit like Amazon does tell you there's a new version etc.

Lastly, @Kronovan, what features from the Core Rulebook are you waiting on?

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
February 24th, 2022, 16:40
Hi All,
and after speaking with Matt on the cost, it will not be full cost.
MBM

thanks for this MBM!

MadBeardMan
February 26th, 2022, 14:26
thanks for this MBM!

Hi Adzling,

I hope this is the news you were hoping for.

After speaking with Matt and laying it all out, the pro's and con's and being honest that it's only my time that's used creating/converting content. The Core Rulebook 2022, will be free to all existing owners of the Ruleset. It will replace the current rulebook with images in the store/bundles, but will shop alongside, so you'll have the 2E 2020 book and the 2E 2022 book.

The same will happen to any Core book that gets a 2022 refresh. Free to existing owners, and new owners will get both copies.

Why are they doing this? I think it's down to the fact over the last week we've sold over 1,000 copies of the ruleset, and that there's no ruleset to code, just a book to convert and I don't mind giving my time for that.

Anyway, be nice to Mongoose in the future please, they do listen and they're a tiny publisher.

Cheers,
MBM

Jiminimonka
February 26th, 2022, 14:33
Hi Adzling,

After speaking with Matt and laying it all out, the pro's and con's and being honest that it's only my time that's used creating/converting content. The Core Rulebook 2022, will be free to all existing owners of the Ruleset. It will replace the current rulebook with images in the store/bundles, but will shop alongside, so you'll have the 2E 2020 book and the 2E 2022 book.

The same will happen to any Corre book that gets a 2022 refresh. Free to existing owners, and new owners will get both copies.

Why are they doing this? I think it's down to the fact over the last week we've sold over 1,000 copies of the ruleset, and that there's no ruleset to code, just a book to convert and I don't mind giving my time for that.

Anyway, be nice to Mongoose in the future please, they do listen and they're a tiny publisher.

Cheers,
MBM

That is amazing, nice gesture.

However, MBM is taking a hit here, as are Mongoose. You think any of the big publishers would do this? Nope. So that makes it extra decent of Mongoose and MBM!

adzling
February 26th, 2022, 17:21
Hi Adzling,

The same will happen to any Core book that gets a 2022 refresh. Free to existing owners, and new owners will get both copies.

Cheers,
MBM

MBM this is FANTASTIC news.
I do think Matt and Mongoose try to do the right thing and my experience with them has been far superior to other RPG publishers.
This 2022 updates news does elevate Mongoose further in my eyes.
They are doing the right thing to support their customers and I will continue to sing the praises of your traveller implementation on FGU ;-)
great stuff!

TrentLane
February 26th, 2022, 17:40
Hi Adzling,

Cheers,
MBM

This is awesome news and really shows that Mongoose/Smiteworks seems to care about the players. Makes me feel even better dropping more money on this ruleset than I already have :)

demonsamurai
February 27th, 2022, 14:35
Hi Adzling,

Cheers,
MBM

This is totally awesome news MBM! Thank you for everything you do for the community, it is so much appreciated.

Grommit57
February 28th, 2022, 23:37
That is Awesome news. Means I can spend money on other Traveller items. Thanks MBM

donpaulo
March 1st, 2022, 05:50
That is Awesome news. Means I can spend money on other Traveller items. Thanks MBM

These are my sentiments exactly

Dalton Calford
March 10th, 2022, 17:05
The fact that MBM and Matt are willing to do this is why I have tried to keep purchasing material even though I haven't been using FGU for Traveller.
I hope my request for a way to change the die mechanic for my personal traveller/game play is possible.

REkholm
August 17th, 2022, 19:05
This sounds lovely and i do really like the ruleset for Traveller. it is well done.

Toyall
October 9th, 2022, 00:19
Is this still being worked on?

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2022, 00:33
I have only heard from @MadBeardMan sporadically in recent weeks, so I assume the real-life has intruded. I know that he has mentioned that this is on his short list, once he has time.

Regards,
JPG

cdjensen99
October 21st, 2022, 13:16
So very few things actually change that calling it a new edition would be inaccurate.

Cuirassier
December 14th, 2022, 12:49
Sounds like things have been hectic for @MadBeardMan.

Is there any update on progress in updating the core rules and High Guard with the 2022 updates?

Tallens
January 12th, 2023, 22:08
Will all this also be the same for the "Supply" 2023 update as well? (will it come, and will we be forced to re-buy it etc. ) I'm not against paying, it's just if it's a "tiny" update getting a whole new "same" is daunting :D

peterfdh
January 29th, 2023, 13:35
Would be helpful to get an update on this as I'm planning a new Traveller campaign. I need to know whether I should start working on making the adjustments to the core rules myself or hold off if the updates are imminent. Appreciate all the work MBM is doing so please don't feel that I'm pressuring (real life does get in the way). It's more so that I have a realistic understanding of time frames.

Jiminimonka
January 29th, 2023, 14:04
MBM is gonna be on Fantasy Grounds Academy on Tuesday discussing Traveller. Join the stream/discord chat

HiLiph
January 29th, 2023, 14:19
That is great - thanks for the heads-up!

MBM is gonna be on Fantasy Grounds Academy on Tuesday discussing Traveller. Join the stream/discord chat

peterfdh
January 29th, 2023, 14:59
Thanks all, unfortunately I can't make the 31st as I have family commitments but if someone could ask the question, I'd be most grateful. I'm sure there's quite a bit of interest in getting the 2022 rules updated onto FGU.

esmdev
January 29th, 2023, 15:49
Thanks all, unfortunately I can't make the 31st as I have family commitments but if someone could ask the question, I'd be most grateful. I'm sure there's quite a bit of interest in getting the 2022 rules updated onto FGU.

It will be recorded so you can watch after. I'm sure someone will bring up the updates.

The next big release is Deepnight Revelation which probably will take a bit for testing but is somewhere in the release track.

peterfdh
February 2nd, 2023, 11:28
It will be recorded so you can watch after. I'm sure someone will bring up the updates.

The next big release is Deepnight Revelation which probably will take a bit for testing but is somewhere in the release track.

Good to hear the symposium and see Mongoose Matt and Mad Beard Man. Lots of interesting stuff happening although I didn't hear anything about when the 2022 Core Rules were going to be updated into the main rule set. I know there's going to be a lot of overlap but there are some subtle but important improvements that I would want reflected on FGU as they will be instrumental for the campaign I'm preparing.