PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Better Combat Effects Gold

Pages : 1 [2]

nephranka
August 21st, 2022, 01:36
Still Getting the Aura multiple effects.

Screen for reference.

rhagelstrom
August 21st, 2022, 04:34
Still Getting the Aura multiple effects.

Screen for reference.

Fixed via Aura update

nephranka
August 21st, 2022, 12:25
Fixed via Aura update

Working now. Thank you!

jfg1984
August 23rd, 2022, 17:58
Got another bug discovered with the most recent update.

It would appear that now BCEG conflicts with the base game's saving throw usage, at least within the 5E rule set. Please see the picture attached.

Using BCEG syntax to prompt a saving throw works fine, but using the base game's syntax to do so generates the error in the image. I isolated this down to BCEG only, didn't have any other extensions running, and confirmed that this isn't an issue with the base game itself, as the saving throw syntax works fine when the game is run with no extensions at all.

xsection
August 23rd, 2022, 22:46
Hi,

I recently purchased this, and some modules from the 5e Automatic Effects series. I would like to automate the sneak attack damage for my player's rogue character. I cannot find an effect to do that. Some advice would be really appreciated and it's hard making sense of what to do next. What do others use? Again, any help is much appreciated!

estrolof
August 23rd, 2022, 22:51
Probably not what you're hoping to hear ("buy more"), but Kent's Automatic Sneak Attack is (imo) the way to go - it's on DMsGuild.

MrDDT
August 24th, 2022, 00:35
Hi,

I recently purchased this, and some modules from the 5e Automatic Effects series. I would like to automate the sneak attack damage for my player's rogue character. I cannot find an effect to do that. Some advice would be really appreciated and it's hard making sense of what to do next. What do others use? Again, any help is much appreciated!

Sure you can auto mate parts of Sneak Attack, what part did you want to automate?

Also as posted above, there is another ext that will check to make sure you qualify for sneak attacks and check your rogue level to give you the correct damage.

Then at the end of that coding for that other ext, you can use BCEG to make it only tick off once per turn, using the coding "Sneak Attack;DUSE; ATURN"

xsection
August 24th, 2022, 10:47
Thanks for the reply - it was very helpful. I was hoping to automate the number of d6 damage, for the corresponding level of the rogue. It seems that multiplying the number of dice by a contact (e.g. [HLVL]) is not obvious in Fantasy grounds. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

hrscarvalho
August 27th, 2022, 22:37
Hellou! This extension helps with the effect of "Bloodwell"? Can I make the "+1 bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs" off the item with this extension?

tks!

rhagelstrom
August 28th, 2022, 20:09
Hellou! This extension helps with the effect of "Bloodwell"? Can I make the "+1 bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs" off the item with this extension?

tks!

Yes, if I understand this correctly it would be something like:

Bloodwell; SDC: 1 all

rhagelstrom
August 28th, 2022, 20:12
Got another bug discovered with the most recent update.

It would appear that now BCEG conflicts with the base game's saving throw usage, at least within the 5E rule set. Please see the picture attached.

Using BCEG syntax to prompt a saving throw works fine, but using the base game's syntax to do so generates the error in the image. I isolated this down to BCEG only, didn't have any other extensions running, and confirmed that this isn't an issue with the base game itself, as the saving throw syntax works fine when the game is run with no extensions at all.

I have this one fixed and it'll be in the next update, hopefully today.

rhagelstrom
August 29th, 2022, 14:55
Version Update: 3.26
Fixed: Script error on some drags from the PC sheet
Changed: Damage adjust for extension compatibility
Changed: Save icon to dull shield

jfg1984
August 29th, 2022, 17:19
I have this one fixed and it'll be in the next update, hopefully today.

Great! Thank you.

Bonkon
September 14th, 2022, 21:28
Good Day rhagelstrom :)
I seem to be having an issue with Fey Ancestry that seems to have started in my game last week (6 Sept 22). Any player or NPC with the Fey Ancestry trait is now saving with advantage versus all spells, not just Charm spells. I tested in a clean campaign with only BCEG running and it happens only with this one. Removing the Fey Ancestry trait from the character sheet also stops this problem. :)

Thanks for such an awesome extension! :)

dbachen
September 15th, 2022, 03:00
I seem to be having an issue with Fey Ancestry that seems to have started in my game last week (6 Sept 22). Any player or NPC with the Fey Ancestry trait is now saving with advantage versus all spells, not just Charm spells. I tested in a clean campaign with only BCEG running and it happens only with this one. Removing the Fey Ancestry trait from the character sheet also stops this problem. :)

Confirmed.. thanks for letting us know.

rhagelstrom
September 15th, 2022, 23:53

I'll take a look and get a fix in.

rhagelstrom
September 18th, 2022, 01:43

I'm having trouble reproducing. If you have a campaign that does this reliably that you could share or steps to reproduce in a clean campaign then I can get this taken care of.

rhagelstrom
September 18th, 2022, 23:09
Version Update: 3.27
Fixed - Fey Ancestry incorrectly parsing magic as a damage type
Fixed - SAVEDMG not automatically applying adv/dis for damage type
Fixed - Ongoing Save script error with no target
Fixed - Script error in experimental parsing when text does not have a save modifier
Changed - SAVEDMG in effect builder for mod format

Bonkon
September 19th, 2022, 05:25
I'm having trouble reproducing. If you have a campaign that does this reliably that you could share or steps to reproduce in a clean campaign then I can get this taken care of.

Sorry was busy at work, but I see you noted the latest version fixed this. Thanks! :)

rhagelstrom
September 28th, 2022, 20:47
Version Update: 3.28
Feature - ELUSIVE - No attack roll has advantage against this Actor
Feature - UNFLANKABLE - Attack rolls do not gain flanking bonuses against this Actor - Requires Flanking and Range extension
Fixed - ADV/DISCOND not working when magical effect

MrDDT
September 29th, 2022, 00:18
This is so awesome. Man, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use BCEG anymore with FGU. It's so required for my games now.

jfg1984
September 29th, 2022, 18:47
This is so awesome. Man, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use BCEG anymore with FGU. It's so required for my games now.

Same.

jfg1984
September 29th, 2022, 19:03
I have a question to put to the BCEG community.

Is there anyway any of you can think of to automate when temp HP should go away.

My case in point is the spell Motivational Speech.

3rd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: 1 hour
“I once heard a motivational speech by Jim and it was the worst ninety seconds of my life. What does Omin see in him, anyway?”

— Walnut Dankgrass

You address allies, staff, or innocent bystanders to exhort and inspire them to greatness, whether they have anything to get excited about or not. Choose up to five creatures within range that can hear you. For the duration, each affected creature gains 5 temporary hit points and has advantage on Wisdom saving throws. If an affected creature is hit by an attack, it has advantage on the next attack roll it makes. Once an affected creature loses the temporary hit points granted by this spell, the spell ends for that creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the temporary hit points increase by 5 for each slot level above 3rd.

My automation for this spell so far looks like this:

Motivational Speech; TREGENA: 5; ADVSAV: wisdom; NOTE: If hit by an attack, receive advantage on the next attack roll made
Targeting: targets
Expend: never
Duration: 60 minutes

It's functional, but it requires us to manually do 3 things:
1. Go in and end the effect if the temp HP is depleted.
2. Delete the temp HP if they're still there when the duration is over.
3. Tick advantage ourselves if the character is hit, per the spell description.

Any suggestions on how to further automate this would be much appreciated.

MrDDT
September 29th, 2022, 19:06
I have a question to put to the BCEG community.

Is there anyway any of you can think of to automate when temp HP should go away.

My case in point is the spell Motivational Speech.

My automation for this spell so far looks like this:

It's functional, but it requires us to manually do 3 things:
1. Go in and end the effect if the temp HP is depleted.
2. Delete the temp HP if they're still there when the duration is over.
3. Tick advantage ourselves if the character is hit, per the spell description.

Any suggestions on how to further automate this would be much appreciated.

Can you add DMGAT: all; ADVATK

jfg1984
September 29th, 2022, 19:40
Can you add DMGAT: all; ADVATK

Yes I can, and I experimented with adding it as a secondary effect, something like:

Motivational Speech Attack Advantage; DMGAT: 1 all; ADVATK; ATKD; (DE)

The only thing is that in order for that to proc, the target bearing the effect must take at least 1 point of damage. BCEG's DMGAT syntax does not appear to accept 0 as a damage value. This is only important because the language of the spell stipulates it's the attack hitting that triggers the advantage, not damage taken ... so if you're hit but hit for a damage type you're currently immune to for example, this code wouldn't activate.

MrDDT
September 29th, 2022, 20:51
Yes I can, and I experimented with adding it as a secondary effect, something like:

The only thing is that in order for that to proc, the target bearing the effect must take at least 1 point of damage. BCEG's DMGAT syntax does not appear to accept 0 as a damage value. This is only important because the language of the spell stipulates it's the attack hitting that triggers the advantage, not damage taken ... so if you're hit but hit for a damage type you're currently immune to for example, this code wouldn't activate.

I don't think you need the 1 there, even a 0 damage attack is likely something you want it to trigger it. 0 damage attacks would be ones that are absorbed by Temp HP or reduced due to DR or something like that.

so you want it to be DMGAT: all

no numbers in front of all.

plap3014
October 1st, 2022, 15:48
Good morning community,

some one already code this one?

Block the Path

Until the start of the ogre's next turn, attack rolls against the ogre have disadvantage, it has advantage on the attack roll it makes for an opportunity attack, and that attack deals an extra 16 (3d10) bludgeoning damage on a hit. Also, each enemy that tries to move out of the ogre's reach without teleporting must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or have its speed reduced to 0 until the start of the ogre's next turn.

have a good saturday!

MrDDT
October 1st, 2022, 16:14
Good morning community,

some one already code this one?

Block the Path

Until the start of the ogre's next turn, attack rolls against the ogre have disadvantage, it has advantage on the attack roll it makes for an opportunity attack, and that attack deals an extra 16 (3d10) bludgeoning damage on a hit. Also, each enemy that tries to move out of the ogre's reach without teleporting must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or have its speed reduced to 0 until the start of the ogre's next turn.

have a good saturday!

Block the Path; GRANTDISKATK; ADVATK: opportunity

Set it to 1 round, so it will fall off at the start of the ogre's next turn. To do an OPP attack hold shift while rolling the attack (not to be confused with holding shift while doing the damage).
For the extra damage, you will have to apply that per roll, same for the save and note for the target failing the save getting 0 speed.

jfg1984
October 1st, 2022, 16:44
I don't think you need the 1 there, even a 0 damage attack is likely something you want it to trigger it. 0 damage attacks would be ones that are absorbed by Temp HP or reduced due to DR or something like that.

so you want it to be DMGAT: all

no numbers in front of all.

Just FYI, but this does not work. Whether you use a 0 or no numbers at all, DMGAT as a syntax does not appear to function unless at least 1 point of damage is done.
It's true that I would prefer even a 0 damage attack to trigger the effect, but I don't think this is possible using DMGAT.

It's worth mentioning however that there's no issue with having DMGAT activate from damage dealt to temp hp. There's an option in BCEG I believe where you can select "treat temp hp as damage" or something along those lines and that's working fine. It's when the damage roll result is literally 0 that the effect will not trigger off of a DMGAT effect.

MrDDT
October 1st, 2022, 16:56
Just FYI, but this does not work. Whether you use a 0 or no numbers at all, DMGAT as a syntax does not appear to function unless at least 1 point of damage is done.
It's true that I would prefer even a 0 damage attack to trigger the effect, but I don't think this is possible using DMGAT.

It's worth mentioning however that there's no issue with having DMGAT activate from damage dealt to temp hp. There's an option in BCEG I believe where you can select "treat temp hp as damage" or something along those lines and that's working fine. It's when the damage roll result is literally 0 that the effect will not trigger off of a DMGAT effect.

Why are they taking 0 damage? Is it because immune? or is it because they have temp HP and it's being absorbed?

Because it will not go off is it's immune or taking 0 damage. It will only go off if they take damage to temp or HP.
I said DR before but I meant DT. If they take 0 due to DT it will also go off. But DR being 0 damage, it wont go off.

jfg1984
October 1st, 2022, 19:26
Why are they taking 0 damage? Is it because immune? or is it because they have temp HP and it's being absorbed?

Because it will not go off is it's immune or taking 0 damage. It will only go off if they take damage to temp or HP.
I said DR before but I meant DT. If they take 0 due to DT it will also go off. But DR being 0 damage, it wont go off.

In my testing, I just applied a -20 modifier to the damage roll to ensure that the end result of the roll was 0, and in that instance, the effect also failed to activate.

So my current understanding of what you're saying is that the DMGAT effect will only activate if the target:
1. Takes an amount of HP damage equal to 1 or more.
2. Takes an amount of temp HP damage equal to 1 or more. (assuming your settings are set to treat temp HP damage as damage)
3. Takes no damage due to having a damage threshold which the damage taken value did not exceed.

The reason the effect doesn't fit for the Motivational Speech spell is that the language of the spell stipulates you will get advantage on your next attack after you've been hit with an attack. How much damage you have to take from that hit appears to be immaterial.
You could be immune to the damage type and thus take no damage, but you should still proc the effect.

At present I don't see a way to code it to automate that. To me it seems like my best bet if I want the automation is to make a small house rule change to the language of the spell to specify that you have to take at least 1 point of damage (temp or otherwise) in order to gain the benefit.

rhagelstrom
October 1st, 2022, 20:27
In my testing, I just applied a -20 modifier to the damage roll to ensure that the end result of the roll was 0, and in that instance, the effect also failed to activate.

So my current understanding of what you're saying is that the DMGAT effect will only activate if the target:
1. Takes an amount of HP damage equal to 1 or more.
2. Takes an amount of temp HP damage equal to 1 or more. (assuming your settings are set to treat temp HP damage as damage)
3. Takes no damage due to having a damage threshold which the damage taken value did not exceed.

The reason the effect doesn't fit for the Motivational Speech spell is that the language of the spell stipulates you will get advantage on your next attack after you've been hit with an attack. How much damage you have to take from that hit appears to be immaterial.
You could be immune to the damage type and thus take no damage, but you should still proc the effect.

At present I don't see a way to code it to automate that. To me it seems like my best bet if I want the automation is to make a small house rule change to the language of the spell to specify that you have to take at least 1 point of damage (temp or otherwise) in order to gain the benefit.

You are really looking for a "on successful attack" trigger which there isn't one. DMG tags are just that, do things on damage.

plap3014
October 1st, 2022, 20:32
Thanks!

jfg1984
October 2nd, 2022, 02:48
You are really looking for a "on successful attack" trigger which there isn't one. DMG tags are just that, do things on damage.

That's about what I figured.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 07:41
I am really at a loss. I'm sure I'm overlooking some simple solution. I am using one of your pre-written effects and I'm not seeing it work. The example I am using is a DMGRT in your turned effect. I'll include images below. My understanding is that the effect line is supposed to automatically disappear when the target takes damage. I apply it to the target, I roll damage, the target takes damage but the effect line stays there. I pass initiative to a new round and do more damage and same. Am I misunderstanding DMGRT?

MrDDT
October 31st, 2022, 08:36
I am really at a loss. I'm sure I'm overlooking some simple solution. I am using one of your pre-written effects and I'm not seeing it work. The example I am using is a DMGRT in your turned effect. I'll include images below. My understanding is that the effect line is supposed to automatically disappear when the target takes damage. I apply it to the target, I roll damage, the target takes damage but the effect line stays there. I pass initiative to a new round and do more damage and same. Am I misunderstanding DMGRT?

Need to put a damage type after it.

DMGRT: all
or
DMGRT: fire
If you only want fire as one that will trigger it. Using all of course will cause any damage to trigger.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 19:50
Thanks! I knew it was something simple. I just assumed leaving it null would mean all types of damage.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 21:23
I do have one more issue that I forgot about because I gave up a long time ago. I have issue with the ABSORB function. Is that a problem with BCEG or the actual ABSORB effects module? I input into the target creature "ABSORB: lightning" without the quotes and I get this error... see image:

MrDDT
October 31st, 2022, 21:46
I do have one more issue that I forgot about because I gave up a long time ago. I have issue with the ABSORB function. Is that a problem with BCEG or the actual ABSORB effects module? I input into the target creature "ABSORB: lightning" without the quotes and I get this error... see image:

I'm not getting this error, can you explain it more?

You can also contact me on discord for faster replies.

Also Absorb is from Blissful Ignorance EXT.

rhagelstrom
October 31st, 2022, 22:09

There are two exts that do ABSORB Blissful Ignorance (free) and Absorb Effect (paid). The error you are seeing is from a part of the code (applyDamage) that BCE doesn't touch but a lot of other extensions do. The error is probably from something else although it is possible BCEG is doing something prior that is priming things for such an error to be thrown.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 22:12
I think I know the problem. I have Absorb Effect from Rob2e. I'll look for Blissful Ignorance but do not see it in the forge. I'll look over at the Guild. Anyhow, I'll provide an image just in case I am doing something wrong and it should still work.

I place the Absorb effect on the target. I hit the target with lightning damage from the source and no damage is rolled and I just get the error.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 22:13
I think I know the problem. I have Absorb Effect from Rob2e. I'll look for Blissful Ignorance but do not see it in the forge. I'll look over at the Guild. Anyhow, I'll provide an image just in case I am doing something wrong and it should still work.

I place the Absorb effect on the target. I hit the target with lightning damage from the source and no damage is rolled and I just get the error.

Tooting Dog
October 31st, 2022, 22:25
That did it! I am a happy man. I could not find Blissful Ignorance at first because I own it but it was hidden/deactivated. I guess I forgot what it does and activated the other effects module and thus why it was not working. My party has a character that would utilize this so this is great to have working. Sorry for the double post above...I do not know how to delete it. Thanks again!!

Azbandar
November 5th, 2022, 01:43
Wondering if there is something I am doing wrong, or if it's something that everyone runs into on this. When I add a monster to the combat tracker, the effects get added a couple of times, the second one being the one I want, but without manually removing the duplicate lines, the effects do not work.

Here's how the code is written on the action itself:

If both slam attacks successfully hit the same target, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or it becomes encased in stone and is petrified.
The target can repeat the saving throw at the start of each of its turns, neutralizing the petrification upon success.

If I manually remove the repeated "Earth Grasp" the effect will work as intended, but I also like clean monsters, and having the first effect (the one without the attached SAVES seems pointless).

Basically, what I think the line in the combat tracker should read is:

Earth grasp [SAVEVS: constitution 15] [EFF: Earth Grasp; Petrified; SAVES: 15 CON]

MrDDT
November 5th, 2022, 02:31
Wondering if there is something I am doing wrong, or if it's something that everyone runs into on this. When I add a monster to the combat tracker, the effects get added a couple of times, the second one being the one I want, but without manually removing the duplicate lines, the effects do not work.

Here's how the code is written on the action itself:

If both slam attacks successfully hit the same target, the target must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or it becomes encased in stone and is petrified.
The target can repeat the saving throw at the start of each of its turns, neutralizing the petrification upon success.

If I manually remove the repeated "Earth Grasp" the effect will work as intended, but I also like clean monsters, and having the first effect (the one without the attached SAVES seems pointless).

Basically, what I think the line in the combat tracker should read is:

Earth grasp [SAVEVS: constitution 15] [EFF: Earth Grasp; Petrified; SAVES: 15 CON]

Try

Earth Grap; Petrified; SAVES: 15 CON (R)

Azbandar
November 5th, 2022, 02:43
Try

Earth Grap; Petrified; SAVES: 15 CON (R)

I know that part, it's the auto parsing when putting into the combat tracker that is in question, specifically the double action name that causes the effect to not function. I have added "ending the effect upon success" to get the (R) to auto parse.

MrDDT
November 15th, 2022, 19:40
Bringing this over from the other thread.

It's working for me can you tell me the coding you using?

Here is mine.

This is on the NPC near the PC

Poo; AURA: 20 all; Poo; SAVEE: 15 CON (M); SAVEADD: Poisoned

This is on the PC making the save

Stout Resilience; ADVCOND: poisoned

This is getting off topic for this thread and should be moved to BCEG for future replies.
That being said:

Stout Resilience
You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.

BCEG is not going to grant adv on save vs poisoned condition because that isn't what the Trait says. Poison is a damage type, so it would grant adv against Green Dragon Breath Weapon. One can rule that it should grant adv vs poisoned condition and use the above that Mr DDT posted but that would be a rule for your table

Yeah sorry Stout Resilience is custom effect I made, I can see the confusion.

However, it looks like it's working fine on my end.

@Jfg1984
@rhagelstorm

rhagelstrom
November 15th, 2022, 20:06
@MrDDT It took me a while to wrap my head around it too when I really started looking at poison vs poisoned. Maybe there is a sage advice on this but it is confusing for sure. Personally I think Stout Resilience and Dwarven Resilience should say You have advantage on saving throws against poison and advantage on saving throws against being poisoned" or You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned". The latter makes more sense as the trait also gives resistance to poison, but the traits are written how they are written

MrDDT
November 15th, 2022, 20:21
@MrDDT It took me a while to wrap my head around it too when I really started looking at poison vs poisoned. Maybe there is a sage advice on this but it is confusing for sure. Personally I think Stout Resilience and Dwarven Resilience should say You have advantage on saving throws against poison and advantage on saving throws against being poisoned" or You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned". The latter makes more sense as the trait also gives resistance to poison, but the traits are written how they are written

I'm sure they are written that way for a reason, I've seen others that are written that include the saves vs the condition as you know.

rhagelstrom
November 16th, 2022, 00:54
Version Update 3.29

Feature: TATKHDMGS - Source of attack takes damage from target on successful hit
Feature: TATKMDMGS - Source of attack takes damage from target on miss
Fixed: [SDC] translation not working properly when applied from a power

Vaall
December 1st, 2022, 21:06
Hello,

Thank you for your extension and news.
Recently I observed a problem with the BCEG extension that I do not encounter with the classic version.
On the image below, the damage is attributed automatically during a failed saving throw with the classic version and this is no longer done with BCEG.

With some tests, I noticed that it doesn't work anymore when in the effect code there is other information in addition to the SAVEA and the SAVEDMG as in the exemple

Thanking you,
Vaall

rhagelstrom
December 1st, 2022, 21:09
I'll take a look at it and try to reproduce in the next couple of days.

rhagelstrom
December 4th, 2022, 01:41
Version update: v3.30
Feature: Additional conditional operators – Read the documentation PDF on the first post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55334&d=1670113852) as there is an entire section and multiple options to choose from
Fixed: SAVEDMG not working when multiple conditions/damage types in play
Fixed: [SDC] not taking into account power bonus in addition to group bonus when replaced when applied from a power

rhagelstrom
December 4th, 2022, 01:50
Update fixes the issue but what you have should be set up as a Cast and not an effect. Poisoned should be broken out into its own effect as well. SAVEA is not intended to be used like this and I've noticed people abusing it as such. It maybe reevaluated.

estrolof
December 4th, 2022, 11:50
Game System: 5e

Question: When an effect applies a second effect, is there a means to force the second effect to remove the first one? Or to disable it?

Use Case: The spell Lesser Retribution. The caster applies an effect, whereby the target suffers nothing...unless they deal damage. When/If they deal damage before the start of their next turn, they make a Wisdom saving throw taking damage on a failed save. The whole effect ends at the start of their next turn.
Note: in the FGU Options menu, I have Allow Duplicate Effects set to off.

What I've done so far...

1. Created two effects:
(effect 1) LesserRetributionHelm; SDMGADDS: LesserRetributionHelmAdd; TURNRS
(effect 2) LesserRetributionHelmAdd; SAVEA: 16 WIS (R); SAVEDMG: 2d8 psychic; DMGRT

The results:

1. As expected, effect 1 successfully removes itself at the start of the afflicted actor's turn.
2. As expected, effect 1 successfully applies effect 2 when the afflicted actor deals damage.
3. As expected, effect 2 successfully forces a saving throw when added to the actor, and the damage is successfully applied to the afflicted actor on a failed save.
4. As expected, effect 2 successfully removes itself if the actor saves successfully.

Where I'm confused:
1. Is DMGRT supposed to remove effect 2 when the actor suffers said damage? (It is not, during my test.) I don't want effect 1 removed when damage is applied, as other actors might cause damage before their turn.
2. As expected, when the actor fails the effect 2 saving throw, they deal damage to themselves. However, this triggers effect 1 to add a NEW, second effect 2 which then forces another saving throw...and so on it loops.

Hence my original core question: is there a prompt to remove effect 1 ON ADD of effect 2, so we could re-apply effect 1 post-damage? Thereby re-setting the spell for any opportunity attacks or second attacks during the round, but removing the loop of self-harm when effect 1 remains active during effect 2's dmg processing.

I assume I'm getting too ambitious, but...might as well ask!

My placeholder solution is to use the SKIP button on the effect 1 entry before rolling the saving throw (the Requested Roll extension saves me here, in that the save requires a confirmation).

Perhaps ONTURN?

rhagelstrom
December 4th, 2022, 16:44

Question: When an effect applies a second effect, is there a means to force the second effect to remove the first one? Or to disable it?

Use Case: The spell Lesser Retribution. The caster applies an effect, whereby the target suffers nothing...unless they deal damage. When/If they deal damage before the start of their next turn, they make a Wisdom saving throw taking damage on a failed save. The whole effect ends at the start of their next turn.

What I've done so far...

1. Created two effects:
(effect 2) LesserRetributionHelmAdd; SAVEA: 16 WIS (R); SAVEDMG: 2d8 psychic; DMGRT

The results:

1. As expected, effect 1 successfully removes itself at the start of the afflicted actor's turn.
2. As expected, effect 1 successfully applies effect 2 when the afflicted actor deals damage.
3. As expected, effect 2 successfully forces a saving throw when added to the actor, and the damage is successfully applied to the afflicted actor on a failed save.
4. As expected, effect 2 successfully removes itself if the actor saves successfully.

Where I'm confused:
1. Is DMGRT supposed to remove effect 2 when the actor suffers said damage? (It is not, during my test.) I don't want effect 1 removed when damage is applied, as other actors might cause damage before their turn.
2. As expected, when the actor fails the effect 2 saving throw, they deal damage to themselves. However, this triggers effect 1 to add a NEW, second effect 2 which then forces another saving throw...and so on it loops.

Hence my original core question: is there a prompt to remove effect 1 ON ADD of effect 2, so we could re-apply effect 1 post-damage? Thereby re-setting the spell for any opportunity attacks or second attacks during the round, but removing the loop of self-harm when effect 1 remains active during effect 2's dmg processing.

My placeholder solution is to use the SKIP button on the effect 1 entry before rolling the saving throw (the Requested Roll extension saves me here, in that the save requires a confirmation).

Perhaps ONTURN?

I haven't sat down and worked this out but my guess is you are missing the "all" for the DMGRT. so DMGRT: all
You can do a tick tock sort of effect, see attached. I'll take a look later today

estrolof
December 4th, 2022, 18:07
I'll try that once the kiddo goes down for his nap!

MrDDT
December 4th, 2022, 18:26

What I've done so far...

1. Created two effects:

The results:

Where I'm confused:

Perhaps ONTURN?

Holy Smokes you guys got some crazy stuff going on.
This also required IF NOT Untrue ext. LINK HERE (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/591/view)

This is what you want I think; So you can set the 2 effects in your effects list to 1 round, I don't know how long Lesser Retribution Helm (LRH) effect normally lasts, but you can have any duration on that. If you set the other effects to 1 round, you will make it so once per round on a successful use of LRH; it will inable itself again the next round if it lasts more than 1 round. The LesserRHDmg will fall off at the start of the next actors next turn. You can set that how you like if you want to be longer, or you can make it work after the actor passes their turn (add ; TURNRE and make sure the dur is 1)

If you give me the exact wording of the spell/feature, I might be able to help more.

This on the attacker that is affected by Lesser Retribution Helm

Lesser Retribution Helm; IFN: CUSTOM(LesserRHDmg); SDMGADDS: LesserRetributionHelmAdd; TURNRS

These next 2 put in your effects list

LesserRetributionHelmAdd; SAVEA: 15 WIS (R); SAVEADD: LesserRHDmg; DMGRT: all

LesserRHDmg; DMGA: 2d8 psychic

estrolof
December 4th, 2022, 18:50
I've got the IF NOT Untrue ext. I hadn't found a use case yet, so that is an added "oooOOOOooo" moment, thanks! I'll try this too!

The spell is actually *Lesser Retribution*, and I'm blanking on where I found it - *could* be a conversion from 2E or 3E?

I probably complicated it because there are two divine casters and I was testing with the cleric of Helm before doing one for the Lathanderan, and was concerned about "same effect" on same actor causing a mess (just in case they both cast it on a BBEG) - so I added "Helm" so I'd know if I needed to make a version for each. If that would be moot, I'd amend the name (removing Helm). Of course, I could just tell them "doesn't stack" and then have saved myself a portion of the confusion.

I don't have the exact phrasing, but this is probably close enough:

*As an action, you rebuke a target. The target of the spell suffers no immediate consequence. However, if the target deals damage before the start of their next turn they must make a Wisdom saving through taking 2d8 psychic damage on a failed saving throw.*

I read this as ANY "damage before the start of their next turn" meaning targets with multiattack risk suffering each time they deal damage. (The in-world logic being: the threat of damage offers an out for the baddie, as no damage has yet been caused.)

MrDDT
December 4th, 2022, 19:02
I've got the IF NOT Untrue ext. I hadn't found a use case yet, so that is an added "oooOOOOooo" moment, thanks! I'll try this too!

The spell is actually *Lesser Retribution*, and I'm blanking on where I found it - *could* be a conversion from 2E or 3E?

I probably complicated it because there are two divine casters and I was testing with the cleric of Helm before doing one for the Lathanderan, and was concerned about "same effect" on same actor causing a mess (just in case they both cast it on a BBEG) - so I added "Helm" so I'd know if I needed to make a version for each. If that would be moot, I'd amend the name (removing Helm). Of course, I could just tell them "doesn't stack" and then have saved myself a portion of the confusion.

I don't have the exact phrasing, but this is probably close enough:

*As an action, you rebuke a target. The target of the spell suffers no immediate consequence. However, if the target deals damage before the start of their next turn they must make a Wisdom saving through taking 2d8 psychic damage on a failed saving throw.*

I read this as ANY "damage before the start of their next turn" meaning targets with multiattack risk suffering each time they deal damage. (The in-world logic being: the threat of damage offers an out for the baddie, as no damage has yet been caused.)

So what you can do is add an modifer to the last effect where it will be removed on attacks. Like ATKR, this will remove it before the next attack damage is done, but after the attack roll.

Example would be

LesserRHDmg; DMGA: 2d8 psychic; ATKR

estrolof
December 4th, 2022, 19:30
And that would stop the self-applied psychic damage from triggering the reapplication of the forced save? But not stop their own (unwise) attacks against others from forcing said saves?

MrDDT
December 4th, 2022, 19:44
And that would stop the self-applied psychic damage from triggering the reapplication of the forced save? But not stop their own (unwise) attacks against others from forcing said saves?

Yes it should.

It works test it, let me know if it's not doing what you want it to do.

rhagelstrom
December 5th, 2022, 02:26
Some small growing pains but:
Version update: 3.31

Fixed: Conditional operator DYING was inverse
Fixed: Conditional operator range faction filtering fix for enemy/ally
Enhance: Performance optimization range conditional operator
Fixed: Documentation typos

estrolof
December 5th, 2022, 07:41
So what you can do is add an modifer to the last effect where it will be removed on attacks. Like ATKR, this will remove it before the next attack damage is done, but after the attack roll.

Example would be

LesserRHDmg; DMGA: 2d8 psychic; ATKR

Brilliant!

Vaall
December 6th, 2022, 20:05
Version update: v3.30
Feature: Additional conditional operators – Read the documentation PDF on the first post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55334&d=1670113852) as there is an entire section and multiple options to choose from
Fixed: SAVEDMG not working when multiple conditions/damage types in play
Fixed: [SDC] not taking into account power bonus in addition to group bonus when replaced when applied from a power

Thank you for the fast update.
Sorry for my poor understanding of English.
So if I understand correctly for each of my spells, i need a "Cast" parameter and after my effect line for [SDC] syntax work, otherwise [SDC] take 0 as value (as the exemple bellow) ? (before the update 3.30 i dont needed to do that)

rhagelstrom
December 7th, 2022, 07:15
Version Update 3.32
Feature: Conditional operators ADV/DIS will return true if the attack roll has advantage or disadvantage
Feature: Conditonal operator RANGE now also accepts target as a filter which will filter on current targets
Feature: ATKHA,ATKHD,ATKHR, - Activate,Deactivate,Remove effect when the attack is successful
Feature: ATKMA,ATKMD,ATKMR, - Activate,Deactivate,Remove effect when the attack is unsuccessful
Feature: ATKHADD - Add custom effect when the attack is successful
Feature: ATKMADD - Add custom effect when the attack is unsuccessful
Feature: ATKFADD - Add custom effect when the attack is fumble (critical miss)
Fixed: Not all cases handled for translating [SDC] within a power

MrDDT
December 7th, 2022, 08:05
Thanks, more features just making this something we can't live without. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I'm thankful for it now. Thanks so much.

rhagelstrom
December 13th, 2022, 21:32
Version Update: 3.33
Feature: ! can be added to BCEG conditional operators to perform logical not
Fixed: SAVEDMG not applied when effect set to disabled. SAVEDMG will still not be applied when effect is removed before the save is resolved. Known deficiency.

Poe the Homunculus
December 13th, 2022, 22:09
I am sure, with the 32 pages, that this must have been asked before: Do you need to run BCE and BCEG at the same time?

Secondly, I have a player who lost an arm in combat, and has a prosthetic. On a natural 1, she has disadvantage on attacks and dex checks until she has the arm retuned.
Would the effect be ATTFADD: DISATK and second ATTFADD: DISCHK: dexterity ?

rhagelstrom
December 14th, 2022, 00:55
I am sure, with the 32 pages, that this must have been asked before: Do you need to run BCE and BCEG at the same time?

No

Secondly, I have a player who lost an arm in combat, and has a prosthetic. On a natural 1, she has disadvantage on attacks and dex checks until she has the arm retuned.
Would the effect be ATTFADD: DISATK and second ATTFADD: DISCHK: dexterity ?

You would have to make a custom effect for it in the custom effect window so like

Lost Prosthetic; DISATK; DISCHK: dexterity

and then

ATKFADD: Lost Prosthetic

BlazingAzureCrow
December 14th, 2022, 07:56
Would it be possible to add an operator that activates/removes/deactivates an effect when you lose all of your current temporary hit points? As an example, if a creature had a feature that was something like "Flymoth gains 50 temporary hit points, and until they lose them have advantage on all attack rolls they make", would an effect automatically remove the ADVATK when the temporary hit points are gone be possible? Something like TEMPLOSER/TEMPLOSEA/TEMPLOSED? This kind of thing is common in third-party and homebrew content, so it would be neat.

jfg1984
December 14th, 2022, 14:21
Would it be possible to add an operator that activates/removes/deactivates an effect when you lose all of your current temporary hit points? As an example, if a creature had a feature that was something like "Flymoth gains 50 temporary hit points, and until they lose them have advantage on all attack rolls they make", would an effect automatically remove the ADVATK when the temporary hit points are gone be possible? Something like TEMPLOSER/TEMPLOSEA/TEMPLOSED? This kind of thing is common in third-party and homebrew content, so it would be neat.

I second this. I've run into a need for this feature with a bard in my game who makes use of the motivational speech spell.

rhagelstrom
December 14th, 2022, 15:01

This should do it

IF: TEMPHP; ADVATK

ZelieDad
December 16th, 2022, 17:20
I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong, but the [SDC] for my cleric doesn't seem to be applying correctly. I'm trying to set the effect for spirit guardians like so:

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; SAVES: WIS [SDC] (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved; [SELF]

My cleric has a 20 in Wisdom, and is proficient, and is at level 9. So, the save should be 8+5+4 = 17, but when I apply the effect to the player in the CT, it doesn't add the ability modifier, so instead of 17, it's at 12.

When I try and use the breakdown replacement from the ReadMe file and replace [SDC] with the following:

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; SAVES: WIS 8,[WIS],[PRF] (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved; [SELF] , the effect in the CT is wrong, like it's not parsing correctly. It shows in the CT like

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; SAVES: 5 WIS 8 [PRF] (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved; [SELF]

So that doesn't make any sense.

Also, I've tried this, and the value is correct, but the save type isn't listed.

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; SAVES: 8,[WIS],[PRF] (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved; [SELF] and in the CT it just shows "SAVES: 17 (M)(H)"

I can hard code it, and just put in "WIS 17 (M)(H)", but I figured use the tools I have available to automate it.

UPDATE: I just realized I didn't try to put "WIS" at the end, but before "(M)(H)", and doing so fixed my issue.

So, it looks like this:

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; SAVES: 8,[WIS],[PRF] WIS (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved; [SELF]

rhagelstrom
December 16th, 2022, 17:41
Try this:

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(notself); SAVES: [SDC] WIS (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved

The DC number should be before the ability. It mostly works after the ability but that is legacy support for how things where done in the past and I changed it to go before for situations like this and it is also how FG expects things to work. Putting the DC after is considered deprecated and at some point in the future after enough time has passed will probably be removed.

BlazingAzureCrow
December 16th, 2022, 22:51
This should do it

IF: TEMPHP; ADVATK

Thanks! I'll test that out~

rhagelstrom
December 18th, 2022, 03:02
Version Update 3.34
Feature: Conditional operator SOURCE. True if the source of the attack, damage, save matches. Useful for defensive advantages against specific creatures
Fixed: DYING

jfg1984
December 19th, 2022, 02:26
For the purpose of save syntax such as SAVEA, SAVEE, etc ...

It would cool if the [ability] range that allows you to specify an ability score like STR, DEX, etc, also allowed you to specify concentration.
There are spells such as sleet storm in 5E that force targets to make spell concentration saves when they are in the spell's effect, and there are all kinds of features that add bonuses or penalties to concentration saves, but not general constitution saves, so being able to parse between the two would be handy.

jfg1984
December 19th, 2022, 04:15
Try this:

Spirit Guardians; AURA: 15 foe; Spirit Guardians; IF: FACTION(notself); SAVES: [SDC] WIS (M)(H); SAVEDMG: 3d8 radiant; (C) : Movement Halved

The DC number should be before the ability. It mostly works after the ability but that is legacy support for how things where done in the past and I changed it to go before for situations like this and it is also how FG expects things to work. Putting the DC after is considered deprecated and at some point in the future after enough time has passed will probably be removed.

For the record, I'm also having an issue where the [SDC] is not calculating correctly.

For example, I have a PC who is a warlock, has a proficiency bonus of +3, and a charisma modifier of +3.
They have the fey presence warlock feature, and I've coded it as follows:

Fey Presence; SAVEA: [SDC] WIS (M) (R); frightened; STURNRE The duration is set to 2 rounds, targeting is set to targets, and expend is set to never.
The power group under which the effect is placed are set to group type abilities, ability set to charisma, and save DC set to 8+base+proficiency bonus.

When I drop this effect token onto a target, that target should be making a saving throw against a DC of 14, but instead, it's only a DC of 11.

I've deactivated every other module and repeated the error to confirm that it's localized to better combat effects gold, and I have the same issue occurring on all of the characters.

ZelieDad
December 19th, 2022, 04:16
I changed it to what you posted, but the now the save DC is only 12. The [SDC] isn't taking the PC ability modifier into account. See attached image, which has the character sheet, and CT.

Replacing [SDC] with "8, [WIS], [PRF] WIS" in the string does the trick.

Please let me know, if there is something I'm missing.

And just so I'm not missing something else, here is the player's character sheet main tab.

rhagelstrom
December 19th, 2022, 17:35
ugh. I thought I had that fixed. I'll take a look at [SDC] again

rhagelstrom
December 19th, 2022, 18:44
Version Update: 3.35
Fixed: conditional operator filter [creature type] was never implemented

SilentRuin
December 20th, 2022, 22:15
I should note that with BCEG the "IMMUNE: condition" check is case sensitive, unlike FGU raw version. Just FYI for users as author is already aware.

AURA: 10; test; Blinded
IMMUNE: Blinded (won't work)

AURA: 10; test; blinded
IMMUNE: blinded (will work)

rhagelstrom
December 21st, 2022, 18:35
I looked at this an it appears to be working as intended. It appears you just have the syntax wrong.

IMMUNE: CUSTOM(blinded)

SilentRuin
December 21st, 2022, 19:35
I looked at this an it appears to be working as intended. It appears you just have the syntax wrong.

IMMUNE: CUSTOM(blinded)

I'd use another word to describe this "syntax" (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?76147-IMMUNE-Blinded&p=671678&viewfull=1#post671678) :)

ZelieDad
December 22nd, 2022, 15:57
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, if it's not, I'll ask it there.

During my session last night, my warlock was attempting to cast Hex on a baddie, and I was getting an error popping up in my console/log window. There's a note for the automatic effects about the "Hex Damage" effect, but additional 1d6 necrotic damage on the hexed creature doesn't appear to be working.

I first apply the Hex Damage effect to the player:

$# Hex Damage; IFT: CUSTOM(Hex); DMG: 1d6 necrotic; (C); 'note';[SELF]

Then I drop:

#Hex; DISCHK: strength; (C)
onto a creature, I get the following popup in my console/log window.

[12/22/2022 9:30:21 AM][ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:649: setValue: Invalid parameter 1

I also tried to add the hex effect to the creature manually, but the 1d6 still didn't trigger.

rhagelstrom
December 23rd, 2022, 15:18
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this, if it's not, I'll ask it there.

During my session last night, my warlock was attempting to cast Hex on a baddie, and I was getting an error popping up in my console/log window. There's a note for the automatic effects about the "Hex Damage" effect, but additional 1d6 necrotic damage on the hexed creature doesn't appear to be working.

I first apply the Hex Damage effect to the player:

Then I drop:

onto a creature, I get the following popup in my console/log window.

[12/22/2022 9:30:21 AM][ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:649: setValue: Invalid parameter 1

I also tried to add the hex effect to the creature manually, but the 1d6 still didn't trigger.

For sure shouldn't have a script error. From the information it is hard to tell if this is BCEG related or not without a stack trace. I assume you are running other extensions? If not that points to BCEG so that is good info too. Can you reproduce the error and if so can you do so with /debug on and share the stack trace that is in the console when the error happens?

ZelieDad
December 23rd, 2022, 19:14
Here's the stacktrace:

[12/23/2022 12:56:24 PM][ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:578: getValue: Invalid paramater 1
stack traceback:
[C]: in fuction 'getValue'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:578: in function 'isGMEffect'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:677: in function 'addEffect'
[string "Exhausted:..ts/manager_effect_exhasuted.lua"]:285: in function 'addEffect'
[string "..erCombastEffectsGold:...ager_effect_bce.lua"]:260: in function 'addEffect'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manger_effect.lua"]:310: in function 'fHandler'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_oob.lua"]:30 in function <[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_oob.lua"]:22>
[C]: in function 'deliverOOBMessage'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:341: in function 'notifyApply'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_action_effect.lua"]:132: in function 'fResult'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:632: in function 'fORA'
[string "RequestedRolls:...ipts/rr_manager_staged.lua"]65: in function 'resolveAction'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:607: in function 'handleResolution'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:566: in function 'fRollOriginal'
[string "RequestedRolls:...ipts/rr_manager_action.lua"]:156: in function 'roll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:424: in function 'applyModifiersAndRoll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:400: in function 'actionRoll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:167: in function 'actionDrop'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:156: in function 'handleActionDropEvent'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:90: in function <[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:70>
(tail call): ?

I removed the exhausted extension, tried again, and here is that stacktrace

[12/23/2022 1:16:19 PM][ERROR] Handler error: [string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:578: getValue: Invalid paramater 1
stack traceback:
[C]: in fuction 'getValue'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:578: in function 'isGMEffect'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:677: in function 'addEffect'
[string "..erCombastEffectsGold:...ager_effect_bce.lua"]:260: in function 'addEffect'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manger_effect.lua"]:310: in function 'fHandler'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_oob.lua"]:30 in function <[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_oob.lua"]:22>
[C]: in function 'deliverOOBMessage'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:341: in function 'notifyApply'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_action_effect.lua"]:132: in function 'fResult'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:632: in function 'fORA'
[string "RequestedRolls:...ipts/rr_manager_staged.lua"]65: in function 'resolveAction'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:607: in function 'handleResolution'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:566: in function 'fRollOriginal'
[string "RequestedRolls:...ipts/rr_manager_action.lua"]:156: in function 'roll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:424: in function 'applyModifiersAndRoll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:400: in function 'actionRoll'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:167: in function 'actionDrop'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:156: in function 'handleActionDropEvent'
[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:90: in function <[string "CoreRPG:scripts/manager_combat_drop.lua"]:70>
(tail call): ?

rhagelstrom
December 23rd, 2022, 20:21

If you hex code starts with at # then you'll also need that in the IFT: CUSTOM(#Hex)

I can't reproduce the error. Can you disable all other extensions and reproduce it with BCEG? What if you disable BCEG as well?

ZelieDad
December 23rd, 2022, 20:52
The "# Hex" has something to do with equipped effects, I believe.

I don't get the error when I disabled everything up BCEG.

I guess I need to go through every extension one by one, to see where the issue is.

ZelieDad
December 23rd, 2022, 21:18
Closing the loop here.

It appears to be something with the Aura effect extension. The PC has Aura of Protection active on the CT, and when applying the Hex effect to the creature, I get that error. When I removed the Aura of Protection effect from the player in the CT, and add the Hex effect to the creature, it works as intended.

estrolof
December 29th, 2022, 01:48
Game Rules: D&D 5E
Active Extensions: Better Combat Effects Gold
- I had had a lot more active, but disabled them and re-tested, then tested without BCEG

Situation: I created a series of effects based on the Olothec (a monster in the Flee Mortals! preview documents). The effect is supposed to get worse each round (assuming the actor continues to fail their saving throws).

Effect 1 (applied by monster, 0 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime00; SAVEA: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime01
Effect 2 (applied by above on fail, 2 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime01; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime02; ATK: -1d4; TURNRS
Effect 3 (applied by above on fail, 2 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime02; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime03; ATK: -1d6; TURNRS
- this continues through Slime05 where each subsequent effect applies the increasingly worse penalty die to attacks (up to -1d12).

My Conundrum #1: The first head-scratcher (as I've learned during testing) remains unsolvable. The new effect cannot remove the old effect, only time can do that. Neither can a failed saving throw remove the propagating effect while applying the new effect (well, it can't remove it in general). So, I added the TURNRS in case I forget to manually remove the previous effect. Ultimately, there's a risk (during opportunity attacks) that the poor victim would have two penalties applied, if I didn't manually remove the previous one.

My Conundrum #2: The TURNRS is supposed to remove it at the start of their turn (if the duration is 1 round). It was not. It did not remove it at all, and they kept stacking up.

My Conundrum #3: The duration for each effect is 2 Rounds (so it lasts until the end of the current round, then depreciates to 1, so the TURNRS will remove it at the start of the suffering actor's turn. (Assuming that was working). However, each time I add the effect (with BCEG active), the duration is bumped UP to 3. The duration doesn't seem to count down, each time the next effect is added, the duration seems to be reset to 3, so they never fall off.

MrDDT
December 29th, 2022, 06:35
Game Rules: D&D 5E
Active Extensions: Better Combat Effects Gold
- I had had a lot more active, but disabled them and re-tested, then tested without BCEG

Situation: I created a series of effects based on the Olothec (a monster in the Flee Mortals! preview documents). The effect is supposed to get worse each round (assuming the actor continues to fail their saving throws).

Effect 1 (applied by monster, 0 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime00; SAVEA: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime01
Effect 2 (applied by above on fail, 2 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime01; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime02; ATK: -1d4; TURNRS
Effect 3 (applied by above on fail, 2 Rnd): DegenerativeSlime02; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime03; ATK: -1d6; TURNRS
- this continues through Slime05 where each subsequent effect applies the increasingly worse penalty die to attacks (up to -1d12).

My Conundrum #1: The first head-scratcher (as I've learned during testing) remains unsolvable. The new effect cannot remove the old effect, only time can do that. Neither can a failed saving throw remove the propagating effect while applying the new effect (well, it can't remove it in general). So, I added the TURNRS in case I forget to manually remove the previous effect. Ultimately, there's a risk (during opportunity attacks) that the poor victim would have two penalties applied, if I didn't manually remove the previous one.

My Conundrum #2: The TURNRS is supposed to remove it at the start of their turn (if the duration is 1 round). It was not. It did not remove it at all, and they kept stacking up.

My Conundrum #3: The duration for each effect is 2 Rounds (so it lasts until the end of the current round, then depreciates to 1, so the TURNRS will remove it at the start of the suffering actor's turn. (Assuming that was working). However, each time I add the effect (with BCEG active), the duration is bumped UP to 3. The duration doesn't seem to count down, each time the next effect is added, the duration seems to be reset to 3, so they never fall off.

Few things here

1) Don't use SAVEA; it's used to automate stuff, and this is a save before you apply an effect like you would a spell so do so as such. Using SAVEA will simply cause issues.
It's meant for things like a trap or a trigger like that. Simply, roll the save, if they fail apply the effect just like most 5E saves should be done.
2)Don't set the turns to 2 with TURNRS, set it to 1, it will put it to 2 automatically, if you set it to 2, it will put it to 3.
3)The issue is that when you fail a roll, it keeps the old effect on because the (R) removes it on a successful roll, well you want it removed on both a successful roll AND on a failed one, only on the failed one you also want to apply the next tier of effects. So that's one issue you will have to overcome.

What I would do is this if I were DMing this. I would roll a save to apply the first effect. Don't use the SAVEA one at all, so first one is roll save, 19 or higher they succeed and don't get the effect, fail you apply effect

DegenerativeSlime01; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime02; ATK: -1d4; TURNRS
(set to 1 round)
you can also use
DUR:2 if you want to manually set it with the coding however, just setting it to 1 round works because TURNRS puts it to 2 anyways.

If they fail the save, simply remove the 01 effect, it will have already applied the next effect which should be

DegenerativeSlime02; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); SAVEADD: DegenerativeSlime03; ATK: -1d6; TURNRS
(set to 1 round) again

Keep doing this for all your effects last one should be

DegenerativeSlime05; SAVEE: 19 CON (R); ATK: -1d12; TURNRS
(set to 1 round)
Another option is changing the monster slightly and simply just add a -1 ATK and stack the effects until successful saves.
Or start with a -1d4, then each new effect adds another -1d4, or something. Setting the duration for however long it lasts, which it looks like no more than 6rounds.

estrolof
December 29th, 2022, 06:43
Thanks (as always) for the thorough walk-through!

Azbandar
January 8th, 2023, 15:11
Two questions, one I hope is an easy one, one head scratcher:

1) Is there anything that works like DUSE, but removes? I'm doing some testing on my re-write and here's what I have:

Spell Effect - Motivational Speech; IF: TEMPHP; TDMGADDT: Motivated
Customer Effect - Motivated; ADVATK; DUSE
The issue, this lasts for 1 minute (C) and every time my test character gets hit, the effect goes on properly, disables properly, BUT if I hit them every round, the effects tab just starts stacking up! If I turn off the option "Allow Duplicate Effects" it doesn't allow more to activate, unfortunately, it doesn't reactivate it either, and adding STACK gives the same issue (stacks of the same effect, all disabled). I have even tried setting the duration to 1, unfortunately, this has 2 negatives, one, it removes the advantage if the character doesn't use it on their next turn and 2, when disabled, it doesn't remove it.
The basics of the spell; If the target has temphp from the spell and takes damage, they have advantage on their next attack roll. I tried [ROLL] in the custom effect, but it shows up in the CT as the following so I can't use it:

Motivated; ADVATK; -1

2) This isn't removing when damage is done:

Sleep; Unconscious; DMGRT
That is the actual copy and paste code from the read me. I was testing it with something else and it wasn't working, so I thought I'd go direct to the source and test a copy paste job.

MrDDT
January 8th, 2023, 17:25
Two questions, one I hope is an easy one, one head scratcher:

1) Is there anything that works like DUSE, but removes? I'm doing some testing on my re-write and here's what I have:

Spell Effect - Motivational Speech; IF: TEMPHP; TDMGADDT: Motivated
Customer Effect - Motivated; ADVATK; DUSE
The issue, this lasts for 1 minute (C) and every time my test character gets hit, the effect goes on properly, disables properly, BUT if I hit them every round, the effects tab just starts stacking up! If I turn off the option "Allow Duplicate Effects" it doesn't allow more to activate, unfortunately, it doesn't reactivate it either, and adding STACK gives the same issue (stacks of the same effect, all disabled). I have even tried setting the duration to 1, unfortunately, this has 2 negatives, one, it removes the advantage if the character doesn't use it on their next turn and 2, when disabled, it doesn't remove it.
The basics of the spell; If the target has temphp from the spell and takes damage, they have advantage on their next attack roll. I tried [ROLL] in the custom effect, but it shows up in the CT as the following so I can't use it:

Motivated; ADVATK; -1

2) This isn't removing when damage is done:

Sleep; Unconscious; DMGRT
That is the actual copy and paste code from the read me. I was testing it with something else and it wasn't working, so I thought I'd go direct to the source and test a copy paste job.

Second question first;

Use:

Sleep; Unconscious; DMGRT: all

First question second;

Questions about it.

So let me understand this right so I know what is going on.

You want to have it set to the source of the spell effect takes damage they get an effect if they have Temp HP that gives them ADV on their next attack roll.

How long does the first part last? Also, how many rounds does the second one last if they don't make an attack roll?

Or just give me the whole spell verbiage and let me work from there =P

MrDDT
January 8th, 2023, 19:32
I posted this on discord.

Motivational Speech; IF: TEMPHP; IFN: CUSTOM(Motivated); TDMGADDT: Motivated
Set to 1 HR

Effect in the Effects list

Motivated: ADVATK
Set to action; 1 HR

This requires Equipped Effects; Better Combat Effects Gold; and Untrue Effects extensions.

Untrue effects is needed only to stop the stacking issues.

Azbandar
January 8th, 2023, 21:29
I posted this on discord.

Motivational Speech; IF: TEMPHP; IFN: CUSTOM(Motivated); TDMGADDT: Motivated
Set to 1 HR

Effect in the Effects list

Motivated: ADVATK
Set to action; 1 HR

This requires Equipped Effects; Better Combat Effects Gold; and Untrue Effects extensions.

Untrue effects is needed only to stop the stacking issues.

Setting the tag to "Action" vs adding the [ROLL] to the effect worked. That was the fix you mentioned on discord, thanks!!!

mattekure
January 9th, 2023, 00:08
I'm trying to automate this, but cant seem to get the syntax right.

Any creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of the darakhul must make a successful DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the darakhul's Stench for the next 24 hours. A darakhul using this ability can't also benefit from Master of Disguise.

MrDDT
January 9th, 2023, 01:03
I'm trying to automate this, but cant seem to get the syntax right.

Any creature that starts its turn within 5 feet of the darakhul must make a successful DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the darakhul's Stench for the next 24 hours. A darakhul using this ability can't also benefit from Master of Disguise.

Here you go.

Stinky; AURA: 5 all; Stinky; IF: FACTION(notself);Stinky; Poisoned; SAVES: 13 CON (R); EXPIREADD: ImmuneStink

Then in the effects window you want.

ImmuneStink; IMMUNE: CUSTOM(Stinky)
Set to 24h

mattekure
January 9th, 2023, 01:24
I think there is a minor typo in the instructions/readme for RESTS/RESTL

The readme PDF shows
https://i.imgur.com/evHitY4.png

I think it should be reversed.
Shouldn't RESTS fire on either a short or long rest, while RESTL only fires on a long rest? It would seem strange to have something that expired on a short, but NOT a long rest.

MrDDT
January 9th, 2023, 04:35
Here you go.

Stinky; AURA: 5 all; Stinky; IF: FACTION(notself);Stinky; Poisoned; SAVES: 13 CON (R); EXPIREADD: ImmuneStink

Then in the effects window you want.

ImmuneStink; IMMUNE: CUSTOM(Stinky)
Set to 24h

After more thought, I don't think this is what you wanted, I'm going to work on how best to do this.

ColoradoGM
January 9th, 2023, 23:11
I just tried a simple "SDC:2, self, roll" effect and it didn't do anything. I replaced it with "INT: 4, self, roll" and that correctly increased the caster's save DC by 2. Is there a special format for SDC to modify spell save DCs?

MrDDT
January 9th, 2023, 23:18
I just tried a simple "SDC:2, self, roll" effect and it didn't do anything. I replaced it with "INT: 4, self, roll" and that correctly increased the caster's save DC by 2. Is there a special format for SDC to modify spell save DCs?

Can confirm, it's fixed in a test version I was using sorry.

rhagelstrom
January 11th, 2023, 01:47
I think there is a minor typo in the instructions/readme for RESTS/RESTL

The readme PDF shows
https://i.imgur.com/evHitY4.png

I think it should be reversed.
Shouldn't RESTS fire on either a short or long rest, while RESTL only fires on a long rest? It would seem strange to have something that expired on a short, but NOT a long rest.

Thanks. I think functionally it works and this is a documentation error. I'll have to test.

rhagelstrom
January 11th, 2023, 01:49

You'll need a filter, so if you want all then you need all

SDC: 2 all

I have a version I'm still testing where it will assume all if omitted.

DMLars
January 20th, 2023, 04:56
I have a question about an existing feature and if this could be added or if someone could suggest an alternative. I have used ATKFADD to make it so that if someone has a critical miss their weapon loses its effectiveness (ATK:-1). Now I am trying to make an effect that if someone is hit by a crit, their armor class will drop by one. Thoughts?

rhagelstrom
January 20th, 2023, 16:53
Yeah I can take a look at that.

rhagelstrom
January 30th, 2023, 16:44
Version Update 5.0 - Refactor
Feature: conditional operator WEAPON which will return true when a weapon property matches (requires Advanced Effects Extension)
Feature: BCEG saves support (RA) which will remove the effect on a failed or successful save
Feature: ATKCADD add effect/condition on critical hit
Feature: DMGR will now stack with itself
Changed: Damage filters SDC DMGAT, DMGRT, DMGDT no longer require all
Under the Hood: Moved signifgant code around to more fall in line with the FG paradigm and pipelines. Should be easier to maintain and less prone to errors
Under the Hood: Added a binary sorter for better performance when searching custom effects window with a lot of effects.
Under the Hood: Cleaned things up for 3.5e, still not supported but closer.
Performance: Output performance statistics for future performance enhancements to file BCEG-Performance.csv in campaign folder (it won't mean much to you)

This has been in playtest for about a month to help eliminate issues. Thank you @MrDDT, @SilentRuin,@nephranka @Vex for the help in playtest

If you are an extension dev and are hooking into BCEG, you are likely broken

Dax Doomslayer
January 30th, 2023, 17:53
Hi Folks,
I'm not sure if this can be automated but figured I'd ask. I have a magic item ("Blazing Longsword") which does the following:

"This blazing longsword creates a brilliant flash of light and heat when you attack a creature with this weapon and roll a 20 for a Critical Hit on the attack roll. That target takes an extra 1d8 fire damage. Additionally, any hostile creature within 5' of the creature struck must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or suffer 1d8 fire damage."

Is there a way to automate something like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rhagelstrom
January 30th, 2023, 21:36
Hi Folks,
I'm not sure if this can be automated but figured I'd ask. I have a magic item ("Blazing Longsword") which does the following:

"This blazing longsword creates a brilliant flash of light and heat when you attack a creature with this weapon and roll a 20 for a Critical Hit on the attack roll. That target takes an extra 1d8 fire damage. Additionally, any hostile creature within 5' of the creature struck must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or suffer 1d8 fire damage."

Is there a way to automate something like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can't automate that functionality on a Crit. There currently isn't a crit conditional.

Dax Doomslayer
January 30th, 2023, 22:14
Thanks rhagelstrom. That's what I thought but figured I'd ask. I appreciate the reply. I saw the new "Feature: ATKCADD add effect/condition on critical hit" and didn't know if something may be done around that (though I couldn't figure it out - lol).

MrDDT
January 31st, 2023, 04:49
Thanks rhagelstrom. That's what I thought but figured I'd ask. I appreciate the reply. I saw the new "Feature: ATKCADD add effect/condition on critical hit" and didn't know if something may be done around that (though I couldn't figure it out - lol).

You can do the crit using another ext called "Theogeek's Nat 20", which adds a coding called nat20; you can use that to trigger events on a natural roll of 20 only.

That is really simple one to do.
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/161/view

Then you want another extension called Advanced Effects (which IMO everyone should have because its freaking awesome)
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/68/view

Then you can do something like this.

Do note that you need to make sure it says "action only" checked; then it will only trigger with this weapon.

The second part of that effect you would likely want to trigger that manually or you can use a manual AURA effect if you have the AURA Effects EXT, if you need help on that let me know.

MrDDT
January 31st, 2023, 04:57
Can't automate that functionality on a Crit. There currently isn't a crit conditional.

I believe for damage there is, you can simply put

NameOfEffect; DMG: 1d8 fire, critical
This will add 1d8 fire damage only to the critical part, so example a greatsword with this effect would do 2d6 normal hit, + 2d6 critical, + 1d8 fire critical
For a total of 4d6 + 1d8
This is built in basic of FGU however, it doesn't work only a 20 on an attack it works for all critical, no matter what is rolled if it's considered a critical it will apply it.
Whereas here, I believe they want it to be only on a natural 20.

DMLars
February 4th, 2023, 20:43
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for adding the Critical Hit functionality, works great!

I found something that isn't working correctly. When using "TATKHDMGS: 5 cold,melee" the return damage is not activating. If I remove the "melee" tag it works. Also does not work with the "ranged" tag.

No other extensions loaded.

Thanks again.

rhagelstrom
February 4th, 2023, 22:05
Hey Ryan,

Thanks for adding the Critical Hit functionality, works great!

I found something that isn't working correctly. When using "TATKHDMGS: 5 cold,melee" the return damage is not activating. If I remove the "melee" tag it works. Also does not work with the "ranged" tag.

No other extensions loaded.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the report. I'll take a look at it and get a fix in.

JunkmanJeff
February 5th, 2023, 08:19
Hello there,

I recently bought BCEG and I am loving it so far, but it seems I have have some functionality issue that I did not have the first day I was testing with it. Any of my SAVEE and SAVEONDMG effects, including the dominate person effect that is provided in the examples (Dominate Person; SAVEONDMG: 20 WIS (R)), will expire whether they are successful or not. I saw that (RA) should do this, but shouldn't (R) indicate that it only removes the effect on a successful save? I tested this out in a campaign with no other extensions loaded. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

rhagelstrom
February 5th, 2023, 21:06
Hello there,

I recently bought BCEG and I am loving it so far, but it seems I have have some functionality issue that I did not have the first day I was testing with it. Any of my SAVEE and SAVEONDMG effects, including the dominate person effect that is provided in the examples (Dominate Person; SAVEONDMG: 20 WIS (R)), will expire whether they are successful or not. I saw that (RA) should do this, but shouldn't (R) indicate that it only removes the effect on a successful save? I tested this out in a campaign with no other extensions loaded. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Confirmed, I'll get a fix in

Rewe
February 6th, 2023, 03:15
Hi, i think i must be doing something wrong.

I just bought the BCEG, and i keep finding effect that do not work for me. Even when just using the examples provided on the extension (like armor of agathys, Dodge being remove at turn start, Monk deflect missiles, etc.) There are just to many for being just a bug.

what could i be missing?

MrDDT
February 6th, 2023, 03:37
Hi, i think i must be doing something wrong.

I just bought the BCEG, and i keep finding effect that do not work for me. Even when just using the examples provided on the extension (like armor of agathys, Dodge being remove at turn start, Monk deflect missiles, etc.) There are just to many for being just a bug.

what could i be missing?

Can you give me some more

Dodge is coded wrong it should be BCEG; Dodge; TURNRS instead of BCEG Dodge; TURNRS
Armor of Agathys is currently broken as the post above
Monk Deflect Missiles is working for me, can you explain what it's not doing? (it is coded wrong it should be roll instead of all)

Rewe
February 6th, 2023, 04:28
I got dazzed with the lots of information, sorry if im asking what is already clarified.

After several try, i got the Monk working. Is meant to be as a permanent damage treeshold for ranged pierce attacks? or it should deactivate eventually?

The Dodge thing, worked when i set the duration to 2 round, FGU is removing 1 to duration at turn start, and then when it get to the PC, it checks there is a 1 in duration and it shut it off (thats how its suppose to work?)

Havin to click on sneak attack dmg when the condition was met wasnt a big deal, i see here the example propose a automatic trigger. I got to the point where the effect is checked and set off, but it doesnt add the damage.

I was having problem gettin Shadow Drain Strenght to work, but your post made me realize there is a "BCEG" en front of every effect, that need to be added to the example so it will work.

I dont get the point of the Web auto Dex Save. It checks at the begning of the turn if the character got webed, but its already forcing to make the check at DISADVANTAGE. If im reading the spell correct, you need to make the check before the restrained, and then you can brake free with STR or fire.

Frightful Presence has two settings, both check WIS Saving throw at turn end, the one in Effect does just that, but never remove it regardles of succes or failure, the one in the example, has the (R), and always remove it at turn end, regardless of success or failure.

Again, i mostly conviced the problem are on my end, i dont want to come up as obnouxiuos, or over critic, because it is all the contrary. I loved BCE for years, i finally got my Paypal to work so i can buy the Gold one. Im really excited about this addon. And i want to get the most out of it.

Also, sorry for my bad english xD

MrDDT
February 6th, 2023, 04:51
I got dazzed with the lots of information, sorry if im asking what is already clarified.

After several try, i got the Monk working. Is meant to be as a permanent damage treeshold for ranged pierce attacks? or it should deactivate eventually?

The Dodge thing, worked when i set the duration to 2 round, FGU is removing 1 to duration at turn start, and then when it get to the PC, it checks there is a 1 in duration and it shut it off (thats how its suppose to work?)

Havin to click on sneak attack dmg when the condition was met wasnt a big deal, i see here the example propose a automatic trigger. I got to the point where the effect is checked and set off, but it doesnt add the damage.

I was having problem gettin Shadow Drain Strenght to work, but your post made me realize there is a "BCEG" en front of every effect, that need to be added to the example so it will work.

I dont get the point of the Web auto Dex Save. It checks at the begning of the turn if the character got webed, but its already forcing to make the check at DISADVANTAGE. If im reading the spell correct, you need to make the check before the restrained, and then you can brake free with STR or fire.

Frightful Presence has two settings, both check WIS Saving throw at turn end, the one in Effect does just that, but never remove it regardles of succes or failure, the one in the example, has the (R), and always remove it at turn end, regardless of success or failure.

Monk Deflect Missiles should be set to ROLL which means on the next roll it removes the effect.

Dodge other than the thing I said before about dodge, it looks like it works fine to me, do you use random INIT each round? (Optional Rule)

Sneak attack thing is broken as per the post above, fingers crossed that 5.1 will fix this as Ryan already knows about it.

Shadow Drain is already working as you can see you need to use BCEG Shadow to get the effect to work correctly or make a new effect that says whatever you want to call their special feature. Matching needs to match.

Web effect is meant to be placed on the creature after they already fail the first save and this is the ongoing effect to check if they are still webbed, IMO this is a bad use of this spell coding as it's a CHOICE to make a break free check as an action and not automatically at the start of the creatures turn

Frightful Presence coding is wrong it needs to have an (R) in it, Also as the post above says SAVEE is currently bugged we believe, so 2 things with this one
1) The example coding is missing the (R)
2) SAVEE in 5.0 is currently not working correctly, as anything with an (R) is also removing it on a successful save.

Feel free to ask more questions, how things get fixed and people learn, if you have this question just think how many have it and don't ask.

Rewe
February 6th, 2023, 05:08
Oh, that was very educational. Now im getting most of them to work, except for the couple are listed at not working right now. There are so so many to test them al at once xD

Maybe there could be like a list on the first post of the code not working right now. Its kinda hard to search on this huge thread.

Other than the need to set up Dodge (and many other similar effect) on duration 2 round + TURNRS, im fine. Thank you <3

MrDDT
February 6th, 2023, 05:39
Oh, that was very educational. Now im getting most of them to work, except for the couple are listed at not working right now. There are so so many to test them al at once xD

Maybe there could be like a list on the first post of the code not working right now. Its kinda hard to search on this huge thread.

Other than the need to set up Dodge (and many other similar effect) on duration 2 round + TURNRS, im fine. Thank you <3

Well they are broken and should be fixed and they were just reported and there is already a fix coming from what discord said, I think we just waiting for FORGE to update it.

rhagelstrom
February 6th, 2023, 06:18
There is a version update tomorrow with goodies and module example effects documentation update that hopes to address the issues. Apologies for careless oversight on those.

rhagelstrom
February 6th, 2023, 06:55
Version update: BCEG Update 5.1
Feature: Spell Attack and Spell Range filters. See [attack type] in documentation
Feature: Conditional Operator ATK([range],[attack type]) which will return true if matching range filter or attack type filter
Fixed: Range filter not working for TATKHDMGS, TATKMDMGS
Fixed: TATKHDMGS on processing on crit
Fixed: Add effect/condition tags where not adding condition
Fixed: (R) removing on any save rather than just success
Fixed: Module documentation for example effects
Changed effect performance gathering to append instead of overwrite

Bonkon
February 10th, 2023, 20:23
Good Day Rhagelstrom :)
I seem to have a conflict between BCEG and Capital Gains by MeAndUnique.
When testing in a clean campaign with only these two enabled Capital Gains would not respond to button pushes to increment their usage.
I would hate to have to choose between these awesome additions to FGU. :)

rhagelstrom
February 12th, 2023, 04:09
I seem to have a conflict between BCEG and Capital Gains by MeAndUnique.
When testing in a clean campaign with only these two enabled Capital Gains would not respond to button pushes to increment their usage.
I would hate to have to choose between these awesome additions to FGU. :)

I have a fix and will be in the next update

Fingersome
February 12th, 2023, 05:55
It appears the latest update broke Bratch9's Advanced Spell Damage extension when you use it alongside BCEG

rhagelstrom
February 12th, 2023, 06:02
Its probably related to Capital Gains. I have a fix that will be up tomorrow.

bratch9
February 12th, 2023, 14:07

The spell damage issue was also reported to me... I dont have this forge extension, not sure if you have mine...

With a messing in your forum I should get a notification if you update a fix for this.. ( Then I can update my thread as well. )

Let me know via dm, if you need access to the extension or not. ( I dont have yours, I have the non-gold old version.. )

-pete

Bonkon
February 12th, 2023, 23:36
I have a fix and will be in the next update

Thanks for the quick response! :)

rhagelstrom
February 13th, 2023, 17:12
Version Update: 5.2
Feature: Conditional operator ATKDIST returns true if the distance between the attacker and target is <=. Only valid with IFT. No targeting required
Feature: Option to turn off performance logging
Fixed: Conflict with Capital Gains and probably others
Fixed: Script error when damage applied is negative
Fixed: Ongoing saves not completly working as intended
Fixed tags SDMGOS,SREGENS, STREGENS, SDMGOE, SREGENE, STREGENE firing when the were not suppose to
Fixed: Conditional Operators ADV/DIS not working in some situations
Under the Hood: Formatting
Under the Hood: Luacheck for automated code warning/error checking

I think this should fix the b9 issue but if it doesn't let me know and I'll take another look at it.

Sneak attack should be fully automated now. It's a mouthfull however and I'll probably make a macro in the future so it isn't so complicated but you can get there with the raw codings. See below and also examples on how to use some of the new conditional operators

Sneak Attack Range; ATURN; IF: !ADV; IF: !DIS; IF: ATK(weapon); IFT: RANGE(5,enemy); IF: CUSTOM(Sneak Attack Advantage); ATKHADD: Sneak Attack Damage; DUSE

Sneak Attack Advantage; ATURN; IF: ADV; IF: ATK(melee,weapon); IF: WEAPON(finesse); ATKHADD: Sneak Attack Damage; DUSE

Staff of the Magi; ATK: 2 spell
Fire Elemental [NPC]

Fire Form; IFT: ATKDIST(5,melee); TATKHDMGS: 1d10 fire

Lo Zeno
February 16th, 2023, 00:24

I'm afraid the fix did not actually fix the issue with Advanced Spell Damage.

Here's an example of the issue:

The Warlock in the screenshot casts Hellish Rebuke on the enemy, using a 3rd level spell slot (the 3 highlighted in blue). The spell is supposed to calculate automatically the damage as if cast at 3rd level, but as you can see in the chat it rolls damage as if it was a 9th level spell slot.
I do NOT have the Capital Gains extension, so it's not related to that. In the screenshot above I enabled only BCEG and Advanced Spell Damage

bratch9
February 16th, 2023, 14:43
I'm afraid the fix did not actually fix the issue with Advanced Spell Damage.

Here's an example of the issue:

The Warlock in the screenshot casts Hellish Rebuke on the enemy, using a 3rd level spell slot (the 3 highlighted in blue). The spell is supposed to calculate automatically the damage as if cast at 3rd level, but as you can see in the chat it rolls damage as if it was a 9th level spell slot.
I do NOT have the Capital Gains extension, so it's not related to that. In the screenshot above I enabled only BCEG and Advanced Spell Damage

The main issue, after looking, is that both extensions change 'getPCPowerAction' but dont call the original function... So in this case BCEG replaced the version in ASD which replaces the ruleset version. ( Also some other issue with NPC character sheet interaction that I did not look into... the drag from a npc sheet instead of the CT damage... )

Not sure on a good solution to this.. will have to have a think.. and maybe some DM chat between the extensions.

-pete

rhagelstrom
February 16th, 2023, 19:03
The main issue, after looking, is that both extensions change 'getPCPowerAction' but dont call the original function... So in this case BCEG replaced the version in ASD which replaces the ruleset version. ( Also some other issue with NPC character sheet interaction that I did not look into... the drag from a npc sheet instead of the CT damage... )

Not sure on a good solution to this.. will have to have a think.. and maybe some DM chat between the extensions.

-pete

I'll DM you and we will get it sorted

rhagelstrom
February 16th, 2023, 19:05
Version Update 5.3
Feature: Macros tags SNEAKATK, RAKISH, for rogue sneak attack automation and rakish audacity - Requires Advanced Effects Extension
Fixed: Some tags without modifiers not processing

The previous sneak attack codings were not quite correct. You can code Sneak Attack and Rakish Audacity with but the entire thing gets to be a long mess. The macros make it much easier.

Sneak Attack; SNEAKATK; ATURN

Rakish Audacity; RAKISH; ATURN

If you use RAKISH, you don't also need SNEAKATK as RAKISH takes care of everything.

Damage is determined based on rogue level. If you want damage based on a class other than rogue, then you would code it like the following:

Sneak Attack; SNEAKATK: homebrewclass; ATURN

If you have "Insightful Fighting" you can add that effect to the rogue and then make that effected a targeted effect to whatever enemy you are fighting. This will allow SNEAKATK to also grant Insightful Fighting when it applies.

SNEAKATK also works on NPCs, where the damage is based on the CR (half rounded up) of the NPC.

rhagelstrom
February 23rd, 2023, 00:20
Version Update: 5.4
Fixed: OOB.type for client SNEAKATK support
Fixed: On add tags not doing something when target is self
Fixed: Tags without modifiers not processing
Fixed: 5E effects with the tag LIGHT were being prevented from being disabled
Fixed: Reported situation where rSource is nil where it shouldn't be. Likely another extension or ruleset bug. Log to console and fail silently
Fixed: STURNRE/STURNRS needs adjusting with refactor
Update: Database calls for how SW wants them with the next update

Lo Zeno
February 23rd, 2023, 00:46
I assume this update does not address (yet) the compatibility issue with B9's advanced spell damage; I was wondering if you guys found a way forward and we can hope to be able to use the two extensions together again in the future, or if it looks like it won't be possible?

rhagelstrom
February 23rd, 2023, 01:26
I assume this update does not address (yet) the compatibility issue with B9's advanced spell damage; I was wondering if you guys found a way forward and we can hope to be able to use the two extensions together again in the future, or if it looks like it won't be possible?

We talked about it and have a path forward but are waiting on the SW update since that also sort of comes into play.

Lo Zeno
February 23rd, 2023, 11:32
We talked about it and have a path forward but are waiting on the SW update since that also sort of comes into play.

That's very good news IMHO

bratch9
February 27th, 2023, 19:00

ASD v3.9 and BCEG v5.6 should resolve this.

-pete

Lo Zeno
February 27th, 2023, 19:09
ASD v3.9 and BCEG v5.6 should resolve this.

-pete

I was running FGU's and DMsGuild updates when I got the notification of this thread update - thank you both, the first quick tests seem to confirm that all works fine with both extensions enabled

rhagelstrom
February 27th, 2023, 23:22
Version Update: 5.6
Fixed: Conflict KnK
Fixed: Conflict Advanced Spell Damage (thanks to B9 for working with me on this)

rocketvaultgames
February 28th, 2023, 17:55
I'm noticing a pretty severe delay (~2-3 full seconds) when clicking "next actor" in the CT. I'm running "tons" of extensions, but if I disable BCEG it solves the problem.

This was not the case before the FGU update. I don't know if it is related to 5.6 or not (didn't run any sessions between FGU update and 5.6 release).

Link to logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh9dh9h3ha0knhp/fgu_logs_20230228.zip?dl=0

rhagelstrom
February 28th, 2023, 18:04
I'm noticing a pretty severe delay (~2-3 full seconds) when clicking "next actor" in the CT. I'm running "tons" of extensions, but if I disable BCEG it solves the problem.

This was not the case before the FGU update. I don't know if it is related to 5.6 or not (didn't run any sessions between FGU update and 5.6 release).

Link to logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xh9dh9h3ha0knhp/fgu_logs_20230228.zip?dl=0

Do you have an overloaded combat tracker? Overloaded as in a lot of actors preloaded in the CT? also if so, do they have a number of effects on them?

rocketvaultgames
February 28th, 2023, 18:16
There are ~120 in the CT. I still get the delay even with only a small group of 4 showing with 0 effects (via Combat Groups).

Most actors have 0 effects on them, some have 1-2, but 20 of them (PCs) have 5-8 effects on them.

This lag wasn't perceptible last week with more or less the same number and complexity of CT entries.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'm guessing some processing is happening looking at all the hidden actors every time "next actor" is clicked and with a large number of actors with plenty of effects, it adds up to a noticeable delay.

Thanks for taking a look. I love the extension!

rhagelstrom
February 28th, 2023, 18:30
There are ~120 in the CT. I still get the delay even with only a small group of 4 showing with 0 effects (via Combat Groups).

Most actors have 0 effects on them, some have 1-2, but 20 of them (PCs) have 5-8 effects on them.

This lag wasn't perceptible last week with more or less the same number and complexity of CT entries.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'm guessing some processing is happening looking at all the hidden actors every time "next actor" is clicked and with a large number of actors with plenty of effects, it adds up to a noticeable delay.

Thanks for taking a look. I love the extension!

The effects processing has nothing to do with if they are hidden or not so that might have something to do with it. I know it's not obvious when using those extensions. We can confirm this is the issue if you pair down the number you have preloaded and see if that improves it. I also have some stuff in the works to help improve this issue.

rocketvaultgames
February 28th, 2023, 18:47
I cut it down to only 20 actors, all PCs with multiple effects and the lag is significantly reduced... like .25-.5 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds.

rhagelstrom
February 28th, 2023, 19:03
I cut it down to only 20 actors, all PCs with multiple effects and the lag is significantly reduced... like .25-.5 seconds instead of 2-3 seconds.

Still seems high. If you want to hit me up on discord we can talk about it further.

ZWilgy
March 6th, 2023, 04:49
Hey MrDDT or rhagelstrom, any idea what I am doing wrong on the installation? Or is this not an install issue? I am not able to see the Targeting and Source options when 5E Better Combat Effects Gold is Enabled.

rhagelstrom
March 6th, 2023, 18:02
Version Update 5.7
Feature: Automated Pack Tactics Trait
Feature: FG Vanilla conditional operators ALIGN, SIZE, TYPE, CUSTOM can be prefaced with ! to perform a logical not
Feature: Conditional operator NAME will return true on a partial match of the creatures name
Feature: SDMGADDT, SDMGADDS, TDMGADDT, TDMGADDS now accept a damage threshold
Fixed: RAKISH not working when actor has both adv and dis
Fixed: Skip not working
Fixed: Clean up effects builder support (WIP)
Under the Hood: More DB calls moved over to the desired method

Dax Doomslayer
March 6th, 2023, 19:04
Hi Ryan - I see you added a feature for automated pack tactics. This is terrific. Excuse my ignorance but does anything need to be added to the CT for this or will this parse/work automatically if the creature has that trait? Same question for Rakish too. I'm assuming it'll 'just work' if the ability is on the NPC / PC character sheets? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks!!

rhagelstrom
March 6th, 2023, 19:36
Hi Ryan - I see you added a feature for automated pack tactics. This is terrific. Excuse my ignorance but does anything need to be added to the CT for this or will this parse/work automatically if the creature has that trait? Same question for Rakish too. I'm assuming it'll 'just work' if the ability is on the NPC / PC character sheets? Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks!!

Pack Tactics will just do Pact Tactics if the Actor has a trait "Pack Tactics". The description isn't parsed so not needed. RAKISH and SNEAKATK need to be added as an effect since they need to be limited to once per turn and sometimes its better to be explicit so everyone knows what is going on and can turn it off.

Dax Doomslayer
March 6th, 2023, 21:14
OK cool - no actions required for Pack Tactics - will work automagically. The rest is as I thought! Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

rhagelstrom
March 8th, 2023, 17:08
Version Update 5.8
Fixed: IMMUNE: CUSTOM() will not notify IMMUNE in chat if the applied effect is an aura (spam)
Fixed: SAVEDMG not working if effect is disabled before damage is calculated
Fixed: DUR, EFFECTINIT not working when (D) is a number
Changed: TURNRS, TURNRE will remove if effect disabled

rhagelstrom
March 19th, 2023, 23:16
This update contains significant change. You might want to look at the documentation pdf on the first post.

Version Update: 5.9
Feature: DUSE to the apply cycler in the CT
Feature: Change state added a change state cycler in the CT, powers, custom effects window. Change state tags are all the tags that Activate/Disable/Remove an effect on start or end of turn. Should see better performance on change of turn.
Feature: Option to Deprecate Change State tags. You need to enable this for the performance gains however the Change State tags will no longer work so you'll have to have all your change state done via the cycler.
Notice: At some point in the future Change State tags and DUSE will be deprecated and removed. Since this is such a big change there will be a few months worth of grace period.
Fixed: [SDC] not calculated correctly for warlock
Fixed: Tag SDC not adding bonus to [SDC] on replace
Removed: Performance Data Tracking

MrDDT
March 20th, 2023, 03:14
Thanks dude, this is going to make it easy to set these features on effects now more inline with how FGU uses it.

eduardofelipe
March 20th, 2023, 20:06
Can anybody help me with ATKHADD? I want to add 1d8 damage when a attack hits. Can you give me some examples?

MrDDT
March 21st, 2023, 04:09
Can anybody help me with ATKHADD? I want to add 1d8 damage when a attack hits. Can you give me some examples?

Deadly Shortsword; ATKHADD: Rend
This effect goes on the player before they attack with the weapon

Rend; DMG: 1d8 slashing
This effect goes in the effects list on the table and it required Equiped Effects EXT

rhagelstrom
March 22nd, 2023, 16:29
Version Update 5.10
Fixed: Logic for change state cyclers
Fixed: SAVEA
Fixed: (RA) not removing
Changed: RTE will not add +1 dur

nephranka
March 22nd, 2023, 17:38
Thank you!

spencerg
March 24th, 2023, 22:06
Great work - I'm wondering if I use this extension in AD&D classic ruleset ?

mattekure
March 26th, 2023, 00:07
Getting an error when a player uses a save action from a power. tested in clean campaign with only BCEG loaded. currently loaded v5.10. Error does not appear on the host, only on the client side.

Error
https://i.imgur.com/MxZToMr.png

https://i.imgur.com/ibYeh1x.png

rhagelstrom
March 26th, 2023, 04:07
Getting an error when a player uses a save action from a power. tested in clean campaign with only BCEG loaded. currently loaded v5.10. Error does not appear on the host, only on the client side.

Error
https://i.imgur.com/MxZToMr.png

https://i.imgur.com/ibYeh1x.png

I submitted a fix. I'll let you know when it is live

rhagelstrom
March 26th, 2023, 21:46
Version Update: 5.11
Fixed: Script error SaveVs from client

eporrini
March 28th, 2023, 22:29
I was using BCE and had effects coded that are now deprecated (beginning and end of turn). I bought BCEG and am trying to get it reconfigured to work with the new settings, but it seems to be having issues. As an example, I am coding for Tomb of Levistus and have an effect added for vulnerability fire which should expire at the end of the character's next turn. I've set it to 1 (and 2) round and tried RE and SRE, but no matter it ends itself at the beginning (not the end) of that characters turn. Any thoughts? Is this extension having issues?

rhagelstrom
March 29th, 2023, 03:05
I was using BCE and had effects coded that are now deprecated (beginning and end of turn). I bought BCEG and am trying to get it reconfigured to work with the new settings, but it seems to be having issues. As an example, I am coding for Tomb of Levistus and have an effect added for vulnerability fire which should expire at the end of the character's next turn. I've set it to 1 (and 2) round and tried RE and SRE, but no matter it ends itself at the beginning (not the end) of that characters turn. Any thoughts? Is this extension having issues?

I'll take a look. In the meantime you can certainly use the old coding.

I'm also working on a feature that will allow people to migrate all the old codings in a campaign to the new method with the click of a button.

ColoradoGM
April 9th, 2023, 19:46
My SRE effects are ending correctly for targets whose initiative is later than the source, but not for targets whose initiative is higher than the source. Source with initiative 10 puts the same effect on two targets, one at Init 5 and one at Init 15, with 1 round duration (which becomes 2) and "remove at end of source turn" selected. Ends their turn, all is good. Go through one round, and the next time source ends their turn the Init-5 loses the effect but Init-15 does not. At start of Init-15's turn, they lose the effect. You should be able to easily duplicate this.

rhagelstrom
April 12th, 2023, 01:21
My SRE effects are ending correctly for targets whose initiative is later than the source, but not for targets whose initiative is higher than the source. Source with initiative 10 puts the same effect on two targets, one at Init 5 and one at Init 15, with 1 round duration (which becomes 2) and "remove at end of source turn" selected. Ends their turn, all is good. Go through one round, and the next time source ends their turn the Init-5 loses the effect but Init-15 does not. At start of Init-15's turn, they lose the effect. You should be able to easily duplicate this.

Sorry for the inconvenience. SRE is known bugged in the change state cycler. I'll get a fix in the next couple of days.

rhagelstrom
April 14th, 2023, 21:41
Version Update 5.12
Fixed: Change State cycler SDS not working
Fixed: SSAVEE/SSAVES not working correctly

If you currently have the cycler set at SDS, you'll have to cycle it around to SDS again to get it to stick.

rhagelstrom
April 17th, 2023, 19:36
Version Update 5.13
Feature: Effects Migrator
Fixed: CS none with duration sometimes increasing duration

READ THIS
The Effect Migrator will move your current campaign BCE tags that change state over to the new cycler. I HIGHLY recommend you make a backup of your campaign before you perform this operation as there is no undo.

I've migrated my campaigns over with no issue however that doesn't mean there isn't an issue that I missed. If you find anything wrong please report it.

You'll also notice it may want to rewrite effects that have nothing to do with change state. It is probably due to extra whitespace or extra ; at the end of the effect. That is perfectly normal but again please review the report before you migrate.

The reports are generated uncategorized story entries for both preview and migrate. You probably want to delete those if you are exporting modules or are happy with the outcome.

rhagelstrom
April 24th, 2023, 17:02
Version Update: 5.14

Fixed: Change State Remove on end of turn needed some tweaking
Fixed: Fantasy Grounds doesn't propagate weapon attack type (spell or weapon) when NPC attacking from the CT

rhagelstrom
April 27th, 2023, 21:02
Version Update: 5.15
Under the Hood: Performance improvement on change turn
Fixed: More descriptive labels for ongoing damage and ongoing regen
Removed Advanced Effects dependency for Sneak Attack and conditional operator WEAPON
Documentation: conditional operator WEAPON was missing from PDF documentation

Tatershal
April 30th, 2023, 23:44
I bought a gold extension, can I enable a normal extension?

rhagelstrom
May 1st, 2023, 00:03
I bought a gold extension, can I enable a normal extension?

You don't need to load the Better Combat Effects if you have gold.

Tatershal
May 1st, 2023, 00:27
You don't need to load the Better Combat Effects if you have gold.

tks

rhagelstrom
May 8th, 2023, 17:26
Version Update 5.16
Fixed: Change State encoded to CT when loaded from module via Equipped Effects or similar extension
Fixed: Chance template name collision with Random Encounter Generator extension
Fixed: Script error when dragging attack roll from chat to CT
Changed: DMGR with an empty filter will assume all. all is no longer required for all

Hokuan
May 10th, 2023, 03:07
I can't seem to be able to go back fix the errors I'm getting after enabling this. Is it as simple as using a backup db? I'm 90% I saved a copy of my campaign but going back to it I'm still getting errors.

MrDDT
May 10th, 2023, 03:15
I can't seem to be able to go back fix the errors I'm getting after enabling this. Is it as simple as using a backup db? I'm 90% I saved a copy of my campaign but going back to it I'm still getting errors.

What errors are you getting? What happened?

Hokuan
May 10th, 2023, 03:38
It wont let me attach pictures. I will post tmrw if I can.5731157312

Hokuan
May 10th, 2023, 16:12
Finally able to attach photos. I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue or something. I just honestly need it to go back to the way it was before as I can't even get the backup copy of the whole campaign to not error out. I mean maybe it's not even this extension's fault but it was the last one I enabled before I had issues.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<extensionstate version="4.3" dataversion="20230221">
<extension name="5E Remove Effect Tag" />
<extension name="5E_Random-Treasure" />
<extension name="ArbitraryArcana" />
<extension name="Bayne's Emporium-5E" />
<extension name="COP - NPC Threat Fields" />
<extension name="COP - Spell Threat" />
<extension name="COP - Weapon Threat" />
<extension name="Critically_Awesome_Essentials" />
<extension name="FG-CoreRPG-Coins-Weight" />
<extension name="FG-CoreRPG-Inventory-Identified" />
<extension name="MissFlavorText" />
<extension name="MNM Module UI" />
<extension name="NPC_Random_Treasure_Drops_5E" />
<extension name="Token Height" />
<extension name="WindowSaverX2" />
<extension name="5E - Expanded NPCs" />
<extension name="Enhanced_Spell_Window_FGU" />
<extension name="Random Encounter Generator" />
<extension name="MNM Animated Combat" />
<extension name="MNM Automatic Actions" />
<extension name="MNM Bigger Drop Downs" />
<extension name="RequestedRolls" />
<extension name="MNM Coin Manager" />
<extension name="MNM Party Combat Stats" />
<extension name="FG-Ammunition-Manager" />
<extension name="FG-HitMargins" />
<extension name="Big Portraits" />
<extension name="DroppedOrder" />
<extension name="MNM Enhanced Encounter Window" />
<extension name="Tooltips" />
<extension name="InventorySearch" />
<extension name="5e Elven Accuracy" />
<extension name="PlayerAgency" />
<extension name="Advantages" />
<extension name="AdvantagesCW" />
<extension name="AdvantagesPA" />
<extension name="DeathIndicatorEx" />
<extension name="AdvancedEffects" />
<extension name="AutomaticFlankingAndRange" />
<extension name="AutomaticHalflingLuck" />
<extension name="AutomaticHalflingLuckv1.2.1" />
<extension name="AutomaticReturnDamage" />
<extension name="AutomaticSneakAttack" />
<extension name="AutomaticSpellResistancev1.0.1" />
<extension name="GenericActions" />
<extension name="Has Initiative Indicator" />
<extension name="ct-scroll-0_4" />
<extension name="npc-flavors" />
<extension name="random-spellbooks-0_2" />
<extension name="MNM Player Journal 2" />
<extension name="Carrier" />
<extension name="EquippedEffects" />
<extension name="Exhausted" />
<extension name="BetterCombatEffectsGold" />
<extension name="Spell Action Info" />
<extension name="FriendZone" />
<extension name="KitNKaboodle" />
<extension name="5E-Indicators" />
<extension name="Indicators" />
<extension name="CombatAutomation" />
<extension name="AuraEffectsv0.4" />
<extension name="FG-Aura-Effect" />
<extension name="OngoingSaves" />
<extension name="ProStream5E" />
<extension name="StealthTracker" />
<extension name="TurnBasedEffects" />
<extension name="MNM Core" />
</extensionstate>

Moon Wizard
May 10th, 2023, 17:45
Yeah, that's a lot of extensions to manage.

You should remove Token Height and FG-CoreRPG-Coins-Weight; as those two are part of the standard code now. (I'd remove from installation completely.)

Other than that, you'll have to turn them off to figure out which one is causing problems. Turning off half at a time is usually fastest way to narrow. If you're comfortable with editing XML, you can edit extensionstate.xml directly; but save off the original first and make sure to completely exit FG in between editing.

Regards,
JPG

rhagelstrom
May 10th, 2023, 18:05
From the image it looks like 5E Remove Effect Tag extension is throwing the error. Might be a conflict with that extension and something else you are running, or it might be just 5E Remove Effect Tag itself.

MrDDT
May 10th, 2023, 19:13
Finally able to attach photos. I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue or something. I just honestly need it to go back to the way it was before as I can't even get the backup copy of the whole campaign to not error out. I mean maybe it's not even this extension's fault but it was the last one I enabled before I had issues.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<extensionstate version="4.3" dataversion="20230221">
<extension name="5E Remove Effect Tag" />
<extension name="5E_Random-Treasure" />
<extension name="ArbitraryArcana" />
<extension name="Bayne's Emporium-5E" />
<extension name="COP - NPC Threat Fields" />
<extension name="COP - Spell Threat" />
<extension name="COP - Weapon Threat" />
<extension name="Critically_Awesome_Essentials" />
<extension name="FG-CoreRPG-Coins-Weight" />
<extension name="FG-CoreRPG-Inventory-Identified" />
<extension name="MissFlavorText" />
<extension name="MNM Module UI" />
<extension name="NPC_Random_Treasure_Drops_5E" />
<extension name="Token Height" />
<extension name="WindowSaverX2" />
<extension name="5E - Expanded NPCs" />
<extension name="Enhanced_Spell_Window_FGU" />
<extension name="Random Encounter Generator" />
<extension name="MNM Animated Combat" />
<extension name="MNM Automatic Actions" />
<extension name="MNM Bigger Drop Downs" />
<extension name="RequestedRolls" />
<extension name="MNM Coin Manager" />
<extension name="MNM Party Combat Stats" />
<extension name="FG-Ammunition-Manager" />
<extension name="FG-HitMargins" />
<extension name="Big Portraits" />
<extension name="DroppedOrder" />
<extension name="MNM Enhanced Encounter Window" />
<extension name="Tooltips" />
<extension name="InventorySearch" />
<extension name="5e Elven Accuracy" />
<extension name="PlayerAgency" />
<extension name="Advantages" />
<extension name="AdvantagesCW" />
<extension name="AdvantagesPA" />
<extension name="DeathIndicatorEx" />
<extension name="AdvancedEffects" />
<extension name="AutomaticFlankingAndRange" />
<extension name="AutomaticReturnDamage" />
<extension name="AutomaticSneakAttack" />
<extension name="AutomaticSpellResistancev1.0.1" />
<extension name="GenericActions" />
<extension name="Has Initiative Indicator" />
<extension name="ct-scroll-0_4" />
<extension name="npc-flavors" />
<extension name="random-spellbooks-0_2" />
<extension name="MNM Player Journal 2" />
<extension name="Carrier" />
<extension name="EquippedEffects" />
<extension name="Exhausted" />
<extension name="BetterCombatEffectsGold" />
<extension name="Spell Action Info" />
<extension name="FriendZone" />
<extension name="KitNKaboodle" />
<extension name="5E-Indicators" />
<extension name="Indicators" />
<extension name="CombatAutomation" />
<extension name="OngoingSaves" />
<extension name="ProStream5E" />
<extension name="StealthTracker" />
<extension name="TurnBasedEffects" />
<extension name="MNM Core" />
</extensionstate>

First, why do you think its BCEG?

Second, you need to go through your list and make sure you are running the most updated versions ONLY.

Third, you need to make sure you are not running 2 versions of an EXT.

Fourth, you should go through and make sure you are only running EXTs you use/want to use.

There above are 2 examples of a doubled up ext.

Also some like Automatic Flanking and Range is no longer needed if you using Generic Actions as GA has the same tools in it as AFaR

@Moon Wizard, Coins-Weight was not added into FGU core just FYI, the weight of coins was but not what this EXT does. This ext puts an inventory item in your inventory which allows you to move the coins into a different location. This is mostly important when you use another ext that allows you to have bags of holding etc that have an effect on the weight.
Now I don't know if the user uses this part of it so maybe they only want the weight of the coins in treasure, however, I just wanted to point out this issue with telling people to turn off an ext without understanding that is had other tools.

If you want, jump on discord and I can help you figure some of these out and cut down your exts most likely. Less EXT is less possible conflicts.

nephranka
May 26th, 2023, 13:02
Just a heads up. It looks like this ext is throwing an error on load in TEST. I figure most wait until it is live but I was there testing some other things.

Fingersome
June 5th, 2023, 23:29
Is there a way to specify the duration of the effect when a creature fails an ongoing save, using 'SAVEADD'?

EDITED: As it turns out, the problem I was having was because I needed to reload the game in question, so that the extension could see the effect I had created. It's working as intended now. (For the curious, I was automating the Cloying Miasma trait of the CR6 'Dragonflesh Abomination', which causes creatures within 5 feet of the abomination to make a save at the start of the abomination's turn, or become poisoned until the start of the abomination's next turn.

Here's the effect codes too.

AURA: 5 all; Cloying Miasma; IF: FACTION(notself); SSAVES: 14 CON; SAVEADD: Cloying Miasma
Cloying Miasma; Poisoned

(The duration of the applied effect is 1, and for those using Better Combat Effects Gold, it is Removed at the Start of the Source turn.)

rhagelstrom
June 14th, 2023, 19:10
Version update: 5.17
Fixed: NPC Innate Spellecasting with [SDC]
Fixed: Changed utilitybox to match for FG 4.4.0
Changed: WEAPON conditional operator will match on a partial match instead of exact match

rhagelstrom
July 18th, 2023, 23:48
I made a video that goes over how the better combat effects gold conditional operators work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oUDiLzo5eI

ColoradoGM
July 20th, 2023, 04:40
I'm having trouble with the EXPIREADD command. My goal is to leave a reminder effect on the target once the effect expires, that it can't be affected again. Here's the effect that isn't working:

Blade of Petals; charmed; EXPIREADD: can't be petal-charmed; [RE]

Before I added the EXPIREADD clause it worked fine with duration 1, ending at the end of the target's turn. But once I added that clause, it ended as soon as the caster ended their turn, so I changed the duration to 2 turns. That worked, it ends properly now, but doesn't proc the message effect. Can anyone help? Thanks!

rhagelstrom
July 20th, 2023, 20:32
I'm having trouble with the EXPIREADD command. My goal is to leave a reminder effect on the target once the effect expires, that it can't be affected again. Here's the effect that isn't working:

Blade of Petals; charmed; EXPIREADD: can't be petal-charmed; [RE]

Before I added the EXPIREADD clause it worked fine with duration 1, ending at the end of the target's turn. But once I added that clause, it ended as soon as the caster ended their turn, so I changed the duration to 2 turns. That worked, it ends properly now, but doesn't proc the message effect. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Is "can't be petal-charmed" an effect in your custom effects list? If so, I'd check to see if removing the ' or just change can't to can not. I don't recall if ' is allowed or not

rhagelstrom
July 20th, 2023, 20:35
Version Update: 5.18
Fixed: Unicode not being stripped from effects when added to CT
Fixed: Migrate Effects dialog for under the hood changes

ColoradoGM
July 21st, 2023, 12:57
No, it’s not a defined custom effect. But can’t any word or phrase be dropped as an unparsed effect? I tried other phrases without an apostrophe so I don’t think that’s it.

I know I’ve dropped custom effects that were just reminders of various kinds like “ mirror image 6/8/11 to miss” or “ speed -10”, and they show up on the CT.
The Hex spell does this, in fact. You give the target just the word Hex, which is not a defined custom effect, then drop a “IFT: CUSTOM [Hex]; DMG: 1d6” on the caster. and with two warlocks in the party I’ve edited that on the fly to be “Alfgar’s Hex” and “Lisbet’s Hex”. And now that I think of it, those had apostrophes.

rhagelstrom
July 21st, 2023, 17:51
No, it’s not a defined custom effect. But can’t any word or phrase be dropped as an unparsed effect? I tried other phrases without an apostrophe so I don’t think that’s it.

I know I’ve dropped custom effects that were just reminders of various kinds like “ mirror image 6/8/11 to miss” or “ speed -10”, and they show up on the CT.
The Hex spell does this, in fact. You give the target just the word Hex, which is not a defined custom effect, then drop a “IFT: CUSTOM [Hex]; DMG: 1d6” on the caster. and with two warlocks in the party I’ve edited that on the fly to be “Alfgar’s Hex” and “Lisbet’s Hex”. And now that I think of it, those had apostrophes.

EXPIREADD and all the other tags that add will only add an effect that matches from the custom effects window or a defined condition. It won't add like you currently have it if there isn't a defined custom effect.

ColoradoGM
July 21st, 2023, 20:12
Ok, thanks! Do you know whether custom effects can be included in an exported module? If so that will solve my problem.

rhagelstrom
July 21st, 2023, 20:16
Ok, thanks! Do you know whether custom effects can be included in an exported module? If so that will solve my problem.

Absolutely. The BCEG documentation module does just that.

rhagelstrom
July 24th, 2023, 19:26
Version Update: 5.19
Fixed: New custom effects not detected by BCE/G

I also made a video explaining the change state cycler which is on my youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xcr6Ei-qY4

Bonkon
August 4th, 2023, 08:02
Good Day All :)
I am trying to set up a Favored Foe effect and cannot seem to figure it out. It allows a Ranger to "Mark" a foe to allow an additional 1d4 damage on the first hit in a turn. I am able to set it similar to Hunters Mark using the IFT CUSTOM set up but I can get it to turn off after the damage was rolled, but I am failing to figure out how to get it to turn back on for the players next turn.

Thanks for any assistance :)

Never Mind, I finally figured it out!
Favored Foe; IFT: CUSTOM (Favored Foe); DMG: 1d4;(C)
with Expend = "Disable when used" (Somehow I kept missing this option!)
And CS + "Activate start of Turn"

You made it so simple I overlooked it! Thanks! :)

ColoradoGM
August 6th, 2023, 13:25
(deleted)

Bonkon
August 19th, 2023, 05:41
I have been trying to figure out how to set this for Phantasmal Killer. It allows a save at the end of the targets turn or suffer 4d10 psychic damage. I can get the save so it removes it if successful but if I try to add damage it rolls the save and the damage together.
I have the first part as:
Phantasmal Killer; SAVEE: [SDC] INT (R);
Which works perfectly, but any combination I try for the damage either does not roll or just rolls along with the save.
Any ideas? Thanks :)

rhagelstrom
August 19th, 2023, 19:24
I have been trying to figure out how to set this for Phantasmal Killer. It allows a save at the end of the targets turn or suffer 4d10 psychic damage. I can get the save so it removes it if successful but if I try to add damage it rolls the save and the damage together.
I have the first part as:
Phantasmal Killer; SAVEE: [SDC] INT (R);
Which works perfectly, but any combination I try for the damage either does not roll or just rolls along with the save.
Any ideas? Thanks :)

The following works as intended.

Phantasmal Killer; SAVEE: [SDC] INT (R); SAVEDMG: 4d10 psychic

I'm not sure what else you have tried.

Bonkon
August 19th, 2023, 20:45
Thanks! I am positive I tried the SAVEDMG but apparently not. :confused: Once I input it as you showed it worked perfectly. :)

rocketvaultgames
August 25th, 2023, 21:43
Is there any way to remove an effect automatically when the actor is healed?

It looks like it works for damage: DMGRT - REMOVE effect when the Actor takes damage.

Some new MCDM Flee Mortals Monsters apply a debuff on hit that is removed if the target takes any healing.

If this is something that gets developed, there might be use cases for not just any healing but healing of a specified amount, magical, etc.

Love this extension!

Thanks!!

rocketvaultgames
August 25th, 2023, 22:13
I feel like I'm just missing something obvious, but is there a way to affect the change state cycler just from text of an effect in the combat tracker?

I want something like this to drag onto the target, with the SDS to have the effect removed at the start of the turn of the source:

"Chill touch (cantrip) [R] [RNG: 120] [S] [ATK: +5] [DMG: 2d8 necrotic] [EFF: Can't regain hit points; SDS]"

Thanks much!

rhagelstrom
August 26th, 2023, 03:32
I feel like I'm just missing something obvious, but is there a way to affect the change state cycler just from text of an effect in the combat tracker?

I want something like this to drag onto the target, with the SDS to have the effect removed at the start of the turn of the source:

"Chill touch (cantrip) [R] [RNG: 120] [S] [ATK: +5] [DMG: 2d8 necrotic] [EFF: Can't regain hit points; SDS]"

Thanks much!

Not obvious. If you want to type into the NPC CT sheet directly It'd be something like

Chill touch (cantrip) [R] [RNG: 120] [S] [ATK: +5] [DMG: 2d8 necrotic] [EFF: Can't regain hit points; (S:SDS)]

rocketvaultgames
August 26th, 2023, 20:00
Thanks so much! This is perfect for adding effects like this to NPC records with "Chat Effects & NPC Variables" extension, or directly in the combat tracker on the fly.

rhagelstrom
September 4th, 2023, 23:14
Version Update: 5.20
Feature: Conditional operator HP - True if the actor has hit points that are greater/less than the operation.
Fixed: ATKCADD missing from documentation.
Conditional operators support both >=,<= and =<,=>.

rocketvaultgames
September 7th, 2023, 19:43
I'm trying to translate this into an effect in an NPC stat block (thanks to "Chat Effects & NPC Variables" extension)... I can get everything to work except removing the effect upon first use. Any suggestions?

"On a failure, the creature has disadvantage on the next attack roll or ability check it makes until the end of its next turn."

[EFFECT] DISATK; DISCHK; (S:RE)

Thanks much!

rhagelstrom
September 7th, 2023, 20:08
I'm trying to translate this into an effect in an NPC stat block (thanks to "Chat Effects & NPC Variables" extension)... I can get everything to work except removing the effect upon first use. Any suggestions?

"On a failure, the creature has disadvantage on the next attack roll or ability check it makes until the end of its next turn."

Thanks much!

Roll would be (A:ROLL)
If you want to use RE that will require a duration to also be set.

MrDDT
September 7th, 2023, 20:23

Thanks much!

For this one you going to want both, 1 round duration, S:RE, and A:ROLL it looks like.

rocketvaultgames
September 7th, 2023, 20:30
Got it! Thank you both!!

Arnagus
September 10th, 2023, 11:57
I was setting up "Radiant Soul" from Volo's for a player Protector Aasimar, came up with the following using the new cycler (which is not yet used in AE), and wanted to share. I have not seen issues so far (will update here if there are and I need to tweak):

Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing your eyes to glimmer and two luminous, incorporeal wings to sprout from your back.
Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you have a flying speed of 30 feet, and once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.
Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Radiant Soul; DMG: [LVL] radiant; [SELF]; [DUSE]; [ATS]
Duration: 1min

This only covers the damage part, obviously. Player also can deactivate at the start of his turn if he opts-out of applying the damage this turn (it's can, after all).

Dax Doomslayer
September 15th, 2023, 21:40
Hi Folks,
I was if there is a way to code Ray of Enfeeblement? The text of the spell is:

A black beam of enervating energy springs from your finger toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target deals only half damage with weapon attacks that use Strength until the spell ends.

At the end of each of the target's turns, it can make a Constitution saving throw against the spell. On a success, the spell ends.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

rhagelstrom
September 15th, 2023, 23:13
Hi Folks,
I was if there is a way to code Ray of Enfeeblement? The text of the spell is:

A black beam of enervating energy springs from your finger toward a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target deals only half damage with weapon attacks that use Strength until the spell ends.

At the end of each of the target's turns, it can make a Constitution saving throw against the spell. On a success, the spell ends.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

I just use the half modifiers button. There is probably an extension out there that does this I'm just not aware.

I take that back Blissful Ignorance DMGMULT

Something like
Ray of Enfeeblement; SAVEE: [SDC] CON (R); IF: ATK(melee, weapon); IF: !WEAPON(finesse); DMGMULT: .5

rhagelstrom
September 16th, 2023, 01:38
Version Update: 5.21
Feature: SAVEONDMGT - Same as SAVEONDMG but applied to the target. Subsequent tags (SAVEDMG, SAVEADD, SAVEADDP, etc) will also apply to target
Feature: Conditional operator CR which is True if the actor CR/level are greater/less than the operation
Feature: DESTROY - Destroy Actor when applied
Instruction Module updated from Story to Reference Manual

Mace of Disruption; IFT: TYPE(undead, fiend); IFT: HP(<=,25); SAVEONDMGT: 15 WIS; SAVEADD: DESTROY; SAVEADDP: Frightened

Destroy Undead; Turned; DMGRT; IF: CR(<=, .25); DESTROY

wcarlsrud
September 16th, 2023, 19:52
What would the effect coding be for a Mantle of Hope?
This is the description: While you wear this mantle, undead creatures have disadvantage on attacks against you.

MrDDT
September 16th, 2023, 20:02
What would the effect coding be for a Mantle of Hope?
This is the description: While you wear this mantle, undead creatures have disadvantage on attacks against you.

IFT: TYPE(undead); GRANTDISATK

This should work on the wearer of the cloak. Test it out and let me know.

rhagelstrom
September 17th, 2023, 00:30
IFT: TYPE(undead); GRANTDISATK

This should work on the wearer of the cloak. Test it out and let me know.

IF: SOURCE(undead); GRANTDISATK

The above should do it as well.

wcarlsrud
September 17th, 2023, 01:22
IFT: TYPE(undead); GRANTDISATK works. Thanks everybody.

plap3014
September 17th, 2023, 15:20
Hi, do you think is possible to make the following effect in 1:

Starting 7 th level, the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw after being hit with this attack or it takes an additional 1d4 damage of the same type. The target can repeat the saving throw at the beginning of every turn the effect is active to resist the additional damage, until they succeed. On a successful save the effect ends.

Starting when you make the attack with this ability, the additional damage effect lasts 3 rounds or until the target makes a successful save.

It is working fine with:

Imbued Weapon; SAVEA: 10 CON (R); SAVES: 10 CON (R); SAVEDMG: 1d4 cold;

rhagelstrom
September 26th, 2023, 14:07
Version Update: 5.22
Fixed: Cycling power group options sometimes resulted in [SDC] being calculated incorrectly
Fixed: Ongoing saves not giving adv/dis with ADVCOND/DISCOND
Fixed: Traits not being picked up on table start for ct actors. Needed for automatic adv/dis for saves/ongoing saves
Feature: CDMG,MDMG,HDMG - Crit damage, Max Damage, Half Damage. Works like modifiers buttons but also accepts filters
Documentation Module updated for effect building overview and nomenclature

claedawg
January 1st, 2024, 04:35
Getting the following errors on bootup
[12/31/2023 9:26:08 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (advanced_effect_editor) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [BetterCombatEffectsGold] [utility/utility_effects_advanced.xml]
[12/31/2023 9:26:08 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (advanced_effect_editor_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [BetterCombatEffectsGold]

Roach
January 17th, 2024, 18:54
I cannot find this in the thread, so here's a question/suggestion:
For a stone of (Imparting) Bad Luck, the effect reads as follows:
the SDC against your spells is increased by 1, the AC of your targets is reduced by 1
*effectively making your spells and attacks more effective; bad luck for your opponent*

I guess an effect like (SDC):1; ATT:1 wiuld probably not easily work, the ATT mirrors the effect on AC, but it seems like (SDC) doesn't work like intended...
How would I code the effect on spell save DCs, if at all possible in BCEG?

MrDDT
January 17th, 2024, 19:12
I cannot find this in the thread, so here's a question/suggestion:
For a stone of (Imparting) Bad Luck, the effect reads as follows:
the SDC against your spells is increased by 1, the AC of your targets is reduced by 1
*effectively making your spells and attacks more effective; bad luck for your opponent*

I guess an effect like (SDC):1; ATT:1 wiuld probably not easily work, the ATT mirrors the effect on AC, but it seems like (SDC) doesn't work like intended...
How would I code the effect on spell save DCs, if at all possible in BCEG?

I don't know what ATT is, but I think you mean ATK

Bad Luck; SDC: 1; ATK: 1, spell

bwatford
January 22nd, 2024, 06:21
The cycler doesn't have an option for End of Next Turn. If I apply the effect on my turn and then pass my turn the effect ends but it should be end of next turn, not this one.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

rhagelstrom
January 22nd, 2024, 18:46
Version Update: 5.23

Feature: Spell and spell effect resistance DMG and REGEN tags using the spell descriptor; Resistance can be accomplished by IF: ATK(spell); RESIST: all
Fixed: [SDC] not calculation correctly for NPCs that have different innate spellcasting and spellcasting save DCs
Fixed: FG DMGO tag not dealing sourced damage. More descriptive chat text
Fixed: Minor performance improvements
Fixed: Luacheck automated code checking indicated possible issues

Unfortunately there is something wrong with the forums so I can't post the documentation PDF. I'll see if I can post it somewhere else in the meantime and share the link to it.

rhagelstrom
January 26th, 2024, 01:29
Version Update: 5.24
Fixed: Script error on some instances of NPCs with [SDC]

The forums are fixed so the documentation is once again the the first post of this thread

Ryzel
January 26th, 2024, 05:51
Hello! I wasn't sure how to ask this, but I wanted to see if I could get help with creating an advanced effect.

Every 10 minutes of game time, I'd like to roll from a Lich's Curse table d6 impacting all the players.

1 - not relevant
2 - Str 17 save throw or deal 1d4 less damage on weapon attacks until next short/long rest
3 - Int 17 save throw or -1 to Save DCs on your abilities/spells until next short/long rest
4 - Con 17 save throw or take 2d6 damage
5 - Wis 17 save throw or -1 on all rolls (attacks/saves/skill checks) until next short/long rest
6 - not relevant

So after doing research, my understanding is I can create a table to determine the effect, then maybe create a NPC that has all these abilities, put them on the CT, ensure I have Better Combat Effects downloaded, target the players and do the effects [SAVEVS: strength 17] [DMG:-1d4 melee, ranged], [SAVEVS: intelligence 17] [DC:-1], [SAVEVS: constitution 17] [DMG:2d6], and [SAVEVS: wisdom 17] [ATK:-1; CHK:-1; SAV:-1] depending on the roll.

Does that sound about right?

Moderator: Moved to the extension thread since it's not a general Unity question

rhagelstrom
January 26th, 2024, 07:13
Getting the following errors on bootup
[12/31/2023 9:26:08 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (advanced_effect_editor) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [BetterCombatEffectsGold] [utility/utility_effects_advanced.xml]
[12/31/2023 9:26:08 PM] [WARNING] windowclass: Window class (advanced_effect_editor_main) defined with merge attribute, but asset name does not match existing asset. [BetterCombatEffectsGold]

These warnings are fine. It is an indication that it can't merge UI mods with advanced effects extension because it is not loaded.

rocketvaultgames
January 26th, 2024, 17:05
Hello! I wasn't sure how to ask this, but I wanted to see if I could get help with creating an advanced effect.

Every 10 minutes of game time, I'd like to roll from a Lich's Curse table d6 impacting all the players.

1 - not relevant
2 - Str 17 save throw or deal 1d4 less damage on weapon attacks until next short/long rest
3 - Int 17 save throw or -1 to Save DCs on your abilities/spells until next short/long rest
4 - Con 17 save throw or take 2d6 damage
5 - Wis 17 save throw or -1 on all rolls (attacks/saves/skill checks) until next short/long rest
6 - not relevant

So after doing research, my understanding is I can create a table to determine the effect, then maybe create a NPC that has all these abilities, put them on the CT, ensure I have Better Combat Effects downloaded, target the players and do the effects [SAVEVS: strength 17] [DMG:-1d4 melee, ranged], [SAVEVS: intelligence 17] [DC:-1], [SAVEVS: constitution 17] [DMG:2d6], and [SAVEVS: wisdom 17] [ATK:-1; CHK:-1; SAV:-1] depending on the roll.

Does that sound about right?

Moderator: Moved to the extension thread since it's not a general Unity question

That is how I would do it: Create an NPC with each of these as Actions.

You may want to specify a damage type for the 2d6.

If any effects aren't getting parsed into the CT as you like, the "Chat Effects & NPC Variables" extension let's you make sure any effect you want in an NPC action gets parsed to the CT when the NPC is added.

Additionally, with BCEGold, you can use:

RESTS - Remove effect when the Actor takes a short rest
RESTL - Remove effect when the Actor takes a short or long rest

EDIT: Also with "Clock Adjuster" extention, you may be able to automate this roll to happen every 10 minutes in-game. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to setup though.

estrolof
January 31st, 2024, 17:03
Is there a method to effectively add an effect from a table using the RESTL and EXPIREADD effects?

Use case, I have a dagger themed after Tiamat. Each day the dagger resets and applies 1d4 energy damage based on that day's dragon type (fire, lightning, acid, cold, poison). I've been rolling manually on a table, then updating the weapon's damage. But, I got thinking...can the table result be applied as a replacement effect? I don't think it can...but figured there are more clever effect-folks than I.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2024, 17:25
No you can't apply an effect from a table. But you can create copies of the dagger and have one for each damage type.

rocketvaultgames
January 31st, 2024, 17:48
There might be a way to do this with the Trigger Me Timbers extension. I think it can recognize when a table is rolled on and then perform an action...

Ryzel
February 2nd, 2024, 06:41
Thanks for the answer! I'm having a lot of trouble coding the DC reduction effect. To clarify, I want an effect on a character, such that when the effect is placed, the save DC for all their spells is reduced by 1. I've tried both DC:-1 and [DC:-1], but they don't seem to be working. What am I missing?

estrolof
February 2nd, 2024, 07:40
As this sounds as if it's for actual spells, wouldn't it be:

SDC: -1

Laerun
February 7th, 2024, 14:39
A class for Better Combat Effects Gold 5E for this Saturday. It is more of all the other things which you might not have been aware of class.
We will likely go over some specific tag but this is not a how to write effects class.
FG Academy Video Archive :
https://youtu.be/-wo4KoKN1hk?si=Ht0I5hHrCe8CHwCF

Happening in the FGA Discord.
Will record in case, no live stream.

https://discord.com/invite/h3bzkvpJ?event=1204699277725667349

Fantasy Grounds Academy Community Discord

DND Nerd 1995
February 14th, 2024, 06:25
This EXT makes Recharge's and ongoing damage rolls roll twice are you aware of this Bug?

bwatford
February 14th, 2024, 06:30
This EXT makes Recharge's and ongoing damage rolls roll twice are you aware of this Bug?

Not seeing that behavior over here. Make sure you don't accidently have two copies of this extension active.

MrDDT
February 14th, 2024, 06:50

Are you having this issue with other exts? If so, try with just this ext loaded and see if it happens. I'm not having this issue.

DND Nerd 1995
February 14th, 2024, 07:33
It seems that 5E - Ongoing Save Effects with this EXT makes this bug happen

MrDDT
February 14th, 2024, 07:34
It seems that 5E - Ongoing Save Effects with this EXT makes this bug happen

If you are using BCEG, there really is no reason to use Ongoing Save Effects, BCEG does all that and more. (MUCH MUCH MORE)

DND Nerd 1995
February 14th, 2024, 07:57
I never knew that thank you for that tip

rhagelstrom
February 14th, 2024, 19:39
Version Update: 5.25
Feature: ATKADDT, ATKHADDT, ATKMADDT, ATKFADDT, ATKCADDT - Add effect to target on attack
Feature: Players own their Actors effects and thus can delete them from the CT
Feature: HEAL accepts max descriptor for max heal
Feature: ATK conditional operator accepts opportunity
Feature: Option to Alert GM to actors conditions on turn
Fixed: DUR not working with dice string
DevOps: Support for automatic Forge updates from GitHub

Unfortunately DevOps does not support spaces in file names so you'll have to delete the GP Better Combat Effects Gold.mod. The latest file is now GPBetterCombatEffectsGold.mod

MrDDT
February 14th, 2024, 19:57
Feature: ATK conditional operator accepts opportunity

I just wanted to let people know this is useful if you hold shift while making an attack it makes it as an OPPORTUNITY flagged attack. I'm sure a lot of people don't do this or know this so putting it out there.

Thanks for the update good stuff as always.

rocketvaultgames
February 14th, 2024, 20:30
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but...

I've never bothered with holding shift as it never marked a reaction as 'used' in the CT, so I didn't see the benefit. Is there any extension that does that?

MrDDT
February 15th, 2024, 03:53
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but...

I've never bothered with holding shift as it never marked a reaction as 'used' in the CT, so I didn't see the benefit. Is there any extension that does that?

Yes there is one on the forge for free for 5E called Reactions

bwatford
February 22nd, 2024, 06:03
I had a strange occurrence in tonight's game.

(Resolved)

rhagelstrom
February 22nd, 2024, 23:06
Version Update: 5.26
Feature: OBSCURED - See Below
Feature: House Rule (option) Seeing though Invisible because of truesight, blindsight, tremorsense negates Invisible
Fixed: HEAL tag not working correctly with mod
Fixed: IMMUNE:CUSTOM() did not accept effect labels with () in them.
Changed: IMMUNE:CUSTOM, if the effect label has the text 'AoE' or '($)', Chat message is suppressed if Immune. Prevents chat spam when used with AURA extension
Changed: Ongoing SAVE accepts conditions as a descriptor to indicate the save type for purposes of automatic save vs condition
Changed: Tags that add an effect can now add multiple effects separated by commas
Removed: Legacy where saves could be defined SAVE: WIS 10

OBSCURED

The following descriptors and what vision types can see though them. must have 1 descriptor

magical darkness - devil's sight, devilsight, truesight, blindsight, tremorsense
darkness - darkvision, devil's sight, devilsight, truesight, blindsight, tremorsense
physical - blindsight, tremorsense

ADV on the attack if the defender can not see the attacker.
DIS on the attack if the attacker can not see the defender.

If you've ever tried to do battle with different levels of darkness, magical darkness or heavily obscured you know FG doesn't figure out what ADV/DIS to apply. Obscured tag lets you define how each actor is obscured or not obscured and it will automatically determine the proper ADV/DIS to apply to the roll depending on who can see who. Works great with Aura Extension where you can define areas of obscurement such as Magical Darkness or Dense Fog.

Thank you to @MrDDT and @CrawlingChaos for helping flesh out and testing this idea.

This will not change how vision appears on the map, only how the underlying game mechanics work. Does not take into account any light sources.

Examples: Requires Aura Extension

Darkness; (C); LIGHT: 15/15 darkness; AURA: 15 all,point; AoE Darkness; OBSCURED: magical darkness

Fog Cloud; (C); LIGHT: 20/20 darkness; AURA: 20 all,point; AoE Fog Cloud; OBSCURED: physical

Unfortunately, the forums are broken, and I can't upload the Documentation PDF to the first post on this thread. I will do so when it is fixed.