PDA

View Full Version : Summoned animals attacks

rdenning
January 19th, 2022, 18:52
One of the characters in my game summons animals or daemons.
I make the beasties friends/ ally and drag them onto him so he can see the stats etc.

At present he cant actually roll the attaches himself. I have to do that.

I asked this question a while back and at the time I think there was some thought of a method to allow player summoners to directly control the animals.

is there any development on this?

cheers

Dakadin
January 19th, 2022, 19:21
Unfortunately, I haven't made progress on this. I can't really provide access for the NPCs on the combat tracker because that causes quite a few problems that were tough to track down just the for the PCs. I need to make the attacks so they can be rolled from the NPC sheets instead. Then when you share them they should be able to roll them.

rdenning
January 19th, 2022, 20:15
OK well thanks any way for all the work on this. My party are 3rd / 4th level so had some decent time in the system on FG (and about 30 years with the books before then!)

Rainbird
January 19th, 2022, 22:11
OK well thanks any way for all the work on this. My party are 3rd / 4th level so had some decent time in the system on FG (and about 30 years with the books before then!)

It's on Dakadin's 'wish list'. Follow the link on the bottom of his sig (if you haven't already) and cast a vote.

I guess a work around would be to create a few spare PC characters/animals/whatever and assign them to the relevant player.
I'm thinking of giving this a go with my PCs horses for the charging attacks...

Rainbird

Dakadin
January 21st, 2022, 01:19
A workaround, would be to have the GM roll the attack like you are doing now and then have the PC roll high open-ended. You can drag that roll to the Roll field in the Table Resolver and it will update with the new value.

I started working on this and it is a lot more complicated than I even though but I am making progress. I actually deleted my initial attempt at it last night because things were working quite the way I was expecting. I have a different approach that is working much better but I am trying to track down all the possible issues still.

Dakadin
February 4th, 2022, 23:49
Hi rdenning,

I finally got this working after the 3rd attempt. The GM will be able to setup a Controlling User for NPCs in the Combat Tracker:

The drop down list will contain any users that have characters in the campaign and will add users when they login. You just have to open the list again to get the updates. This should allow the GM to set it up even with the users not logged in if they have a character in the campaign.

When set it gives the user access to the NPC in the Combat Tracker. The user will have to close and open the Combat Tracker to see the Move, Attacks, Defenses and Effects icons if they already have the Combat Tracker open.

They can update the NPC in the Combat Tracker including making attacks and adjusting parry just like they do with their characters. They can also move the NPC on the map and target using Ctrl+Click. The map will need to be closed and reopened by the GM if it is already open when the user gets setup to control the NPC.

I still need to test it live but I had one of my players connect so I could find all the limitations for it and it works really well just with the few things to be aware of that I mentioned above. I think they only thing that can't be done is rolling initiative now. I missed the cut off for a release this Tuesday so it will be released on 2/15. I am going to add the ability to roll the initiative using the Init field on the Combat Tracker and I think that will cover everything.

Here is what it looks like from the user's side:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

rdenning
February 5th, 2022, 00:17
That looks great. As soon as that goes live we can feedback We play weekly and the summoner(my son who joins us from university for this once a week) basically summons demons or animals and uses them in combat.
We play on a wed so week after next we should be able to do this.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 5th, 2022, 02:21
Let's see if I understand correctly:
I can for example take a wolf, put him as an ally (green face in combat tracker) and then he will be visible for players to attack with him, players could move that ally NPC and more I could share this NPC's spreadsheet so that the player has access to the NPC sheet stuff?

Dakadin
February 5th, 2022, 02:25
Hi yako2020,

They don't even have to be green. They get access to the NPC's entry in the Combat Tracker just like they have access to their PC in the Combat Tracker. If you want them to see the NPC sheet then just share that with the user by dragging the link to their portrait or sharing it with the entire party. They can also move them on the map but that brings up a good point. I didn't test the movement when they aren't green (friendly). I will test that also. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 5th, 2022, 05:23
I'll try to do some tests on this, because in the MERP adventure one of the players was lucky and got a Warg as an "ally|mascot" but because of complications everyone and especially the master delegates actions to the NPC which is his thing and I think that wrong, I believe that if he manages to move, attack and have access to his spreadsheet information, he will have more freedom and autonomy over an NPC that is exclusive to him!

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 5th, 2022, 05:54
I just noticed that a controlling user appears, is this going to be released or is it in the test channel?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 5th, 2022, 06:06
This move to take possession through the CT is an extension, is it scheduled to be released?

Dakadin
February 5th, 2022, 07:18
I'll try to do some tests on this, because in the MERP adventure one of the players was lucky and got a Warg as an "ally|mascot" but because of complications everyone and especially the master delegates actions to the NPC which is his thing and I think that wrong, I believe that if he manages to move, attack and have access to his spreadsheet information, he will have more freedom and autonomy over an NPC that is exclusive to him!

He should be able to do all of that if you share the NPC sheet and make him the owner of the NPC on the Combat Tracker. Sharing the NPC sheet will give him the ability to see that information information like you can. Giving ownership will allow attacks and movement. The only time things need to be closed/opened again are the very first time things are setup as the owner. After that it should work without issue.

Dakadin
February 5th, 2022, 07:23
It will be part of the ruleset and should be available on 2/15 during the releases that day as long as I don't encounter any issues that need to be reworked. This was my third attempt since the other 2 had too many issues but it is looking solid so far.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
February 5th, 2022, 14:20
I understand 2/15 we will have this wonderful addition.
The steps to use it are:
1 - Have Players connected to the table and added to the Party Sheet and Combat Tracker.
2 - Choose the NPC and duplicate it to make it unique and editable.
3 - Add it to Combat Tracker and change it to Ally.
4 - Close and Open Combat Tracker.
5 - Give possession of the NPC to the Player.
6 - Share the NPC (General) or with the Specific Player (Optional) to serve as a reference base.

Did I describe the steps well?
But the case is, only you as a developer can handle this wonder or I going to the Test Channel or the Development Channel can use this wonderful resource.

Rainbird
February 5th, 2022, 16:17
This is great news - You've just made a couple of my players very happy. Thanks Dakadin.

Dakadin
February 5th, 2022, 18:19
I understand 2/15 we will have this wonderful addition.
The steps to use it are:
1 - Have Players connected to the table and added to the Party Sheet and Combat Tracker.
2 - Choose the NPC and duplicate it to make it unique and editable.
3 - Add it to Combat Tracker and change it to Ally.
4 - Close and Open Combat Tracker.
5 - Give possession of the NPC to the Player.
6 - Share the NPC (General) or with the Specific Player (Optional) to serve as a reference base.

Did I describe the steps well?
But the case is, only you as a developer can handle this wonder or I going to the Test Channel or the Development Channel can use this wonderful resource.

Step 4 only needs to be done by the player if they already have the Combat Tracker open so that it refreshes the icons for them and would happen after setting them as the controlling player (owner).

I only have access to it right now because I have a few things more to do. It will be on the Test channel a few days before 2/15 usually on the Friday before.

Dakadin
February 12th, 2022, 07:10
This is on the Test channel now if anyone wants to test it and the other changes. Just be aware there are some CoreRPG changes that might cause issues since I haven't had a chance to make the ruleset changes for it yet.

rdenning
February 12th, 2022, 15:57
Not used the test channel before. Where is that?

Sulimo
February 12th, 2022, 17:53
Not used the test channel before. Where is that?

You have to go into the settings.

When you first switch, it will copy your campaign to that channel.

The channels all keep their files separate, so there is no overwriting. This can be important if you are switching back and forth.

Here is a video (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/2000486401/Fantasy+Grounds+Unity+-+Application+Settings+by+Stoehovve#Fantasy-Grounds-Unity---Application-Settings-Series---The-Advanced-Tab-(Part-4)) on the test channel.

FYI, I believe the test channel will be promoted to live fairly quickly (perhaps next Tuesday?), so if you don't want to go through the process of changing, you will see the new version of the ruleset pretty soon (baring any showstoppers).

Dakadin
February 12th, 2022, 20:26
Yes, it should be released on Tuesday.

Sulimo
February 15th, 2022, 18:51
FYI to anyone monitoring this thread, the changes are now on the live channel (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72631-Release-Updates-for-February-15th-2022).

Additionally Dakadin, I don't know when you added it, but I just noticed the buttons in the top right of the Table Resolver. Those will come in handy (if I remember they are there :p).

https://i.imgur.com/GST5wsM.png

Dakadin
February 15th, 2022, 18:57
Yeah, I added those in the last release to make it easier to find those things when using the table resolver. I also need to remember to use them though haha.

rdenning
February 16th, 2022, 13:40
Can I check. Should I now be seeing this option (note we are running FRP extension, so would this be a matter of Arden adding this to that or should it work anyway).

Mansquatch62
February 16th, 2022, 15:37
Okay. I'm probably obtuse, but how do you assign an npc to be controlled by a player?

Mansquatch62
February 16th, 2022, 15:43
Nevermind. It was, in fact, me being obtuse.

Dakadin
February 16th, 2022, 19:15
Nevermind. It was, in fact, me being obtuse.

Nah, it isn't in an obvious place because I didn't want to have to expand the combat tracker so I put it with space and reach section since there was plenty of space for it. :)

Dakadin
February 16th, 2022, 19:17
Can I check. Should I now be seeing this option (note we are running FRP extension, so would this be a matter of Arden adding this to that or should it work anyway).

Ardem probably is overwriting the combat tracker with his extension or some other extension you are using is overwriting it. Try doing a new campaign and check the space/reach section of the combat tracker to see if you see it.

Ardem
February 22nd, 2022, 02:35
That been there since the RMC 2.21 release, with the combat tracker side of things I cut and paste as I only have some small details in the script file that linked to it. However the 2.22 release for FRP is up on forge now, so you should have everything there as well. FRP is normally updated one or two days after RMC release. If anytime something is missing anything please PM me.

But I being using those buttons for a few weeks now so I know they are on and working for FRP.

Only thing to check is I only release FRP on Live channel, if your using anything other then live it might be an issue.

Also those buttons are on the table resolver not the combat tracker, based off your screenshot you only have the combat tracker loaded.

Dakadin
February 22nd, 2022, 03:10
Hi Ardem,

Sorry Sulimo and I probably caused a bit of confusion talking about the buttons on the Table Resolver. The part that rdenning is missing is the new Controlling User field in the Space/Reach section of the Combat Tracker. Here is how it looks in RMC:

I haven't checked it in RMFRP to see if it is there though. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Dakadin

Dakadin
February 22nd, 2022, 03:38
I just tested it using the RMFRP extension and I see the Controlling User field and I see rdenning is on an old version. If you do an update, rdenning, you should see the new field.

rdenning
February 25th, 2022, 17:52
Thanks Dakadin for this add on and Arden for bringing into FRP. Did a combat with multiple summoned beasties and works well.

Dakadin
February 25th, 2022, 18:07
That's good news. Thanks for confirming.

Rainbird
November 9th, 2022, 18:52
Nah, it isn't in an obvious place because I didn't want to have to expand the combat tracker so I put it with space and reach section since there was plenty of space for it. :)

Hi Dak - just checking...does the NPC have to be 'shared' via the NPC list for this function to work? I'm asking as I tried this last night = drop down menu with the 'space' tab of the CT; assign npc to PC; PC closes and opens the CT. That didn't work.

Thanks Rainbird

Dakadin
November 9th, 2022, 19:13
No you shouldn't have to share the NPC but let me check it because the CT got a major overhaul recently and it might have broken then.

rdenning
November 9th, 2022, 19:37
No you shouldn't have to share the NPC but let me check it because the CT got a major overhaul recently and it might have broken then.

Last week our summoner (we are using FRP on top of RMC) could not attack from the CT.
He could move the beast. See the stats but not attack.

Running again in about 45 mins so will keep you in the loop.

Dakadin
November 9th, 2022, 19:51
Yeah the issue is the client CT is doing a soft close so won't update until the player logs out and back in. I will get a fix in for it.

Rainbird
November 9th, 2022, 22:16
Yeah the issue is the client CT is doing a soft close so won't update until the player logs out and back in. I will get a fix in for it.

Thanks Dak. As ever, much appreciated.

Rainbird

Dakadin
November 9th, 2022, 23:35
I have it fixed in my dev version so it should be out on Tuesday. I just need to finish up some things that I am working on.

Also @rdenning, please let me know when you encounter issues like this. There are some features of the ruleset that my group doesn't encounter or doesn't encounter often so it helps when users let me know so I can get it fixed for their games. :)

micael
November 12th, 2022, 14:06
deleted

micael
November 15th, 2022, 12:48
I have it fixed in my dev version so it should be out on Tuesday. I just need to finish up some things that I am working on.

Also @rdenning, please let me know when you encounter issues like this. There are some features of the ruleset that my group doesn't encounter or doesn't encounter often so it helps when users let me know so I can get it fixed for their games. :)

HI Dakadin,

I like the function, but even if I put a wold for example to combat tracker and delegate it to a pla<er, he can not move the wolf on the map only roll for the wolf?
Thanks
Micael

Dakadin
November 15th, 2022, 18:27
HI Dakadin,

I like the function, but even if I put a wold for example to combat tracker and delegate it to a pla<er, he can not move the wolf on the map only roll for the wolf?
Thanks
Micael

Change it to friendly and they should be able to move it also.

Dakadin
November 15th, 2022, 18:28

The fix for this is live now.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 15th, 2022, 19:52
I don't know if you know the NPC portrait extension, but anyway would it be possible that when the person who has possession of the Animal when carrying out the attack appears the portrait of the NPC?

micael
November 15th, 2022, 20:51
Change it to friendly and they should be able to move it also.

They are already friendly and canīt be moved by my players- have tryed many times.
Thanks
Micael

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 15th, 2022, 21:12
I believe that only the one in possession of the character (NPC) clicking on the # Combat Tracker and selecting the name of the player who will be able to carry out attacks and move his Token and if he is with the Allied Faction can be placed on the Party Sheet, in the part of Position and be dragged onto the map with the rest of the group, already positioned there.

Dakadin
November 15th, 2022, 21:15
They are already friendly and canīt be moved by my players- have tryed many times.
Thanks
Micael

I will test it out again with my group but there is a PC in my game with a familiar and she moves it around the map without issue.

JohnD
November 15th, 2022, 22:44
Are you using LoS? If so is it group vision or restricted by token?

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 15th, 2022, 22:50
JohnD I could be very wrong but Group View only allows players to see through the eyes of other players by selecting them and furthermore that everyone knows where they are, but I don't believe activating this will change anything in movement.

Sulimo
November 16th, 2022, 03:18
JohnD I could be very wrong but Group View only allows players to see through the eyes of other players by selecting them and furthermore that everyone knows where they are, but I don't believe activating this will change anything in movement.

Party Vision and Movement is absolutely required to control NPCs.

This has been discussed many times in other threads.

See this post by Zacchaeus from this past July.

You need to switch on the Party Vision and movement option in FGU if you want players to be able to move the NPC tokens.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
November 16th, 2022, 09:03
Sulimo, at night when I get back from work I'll try to record a video.
I will be using 2 different computers and accounts. (In case 3)
This PC (Intel), a notebook (MacBook (Intel)) and an AMD (FX) each with its account.
This PC (Intel) will be the Host on AMD I will be Don a Common Men Rogue with his animal Dorok a Warg!
In the other I will be Rhovathor an Elf Sindar Ranger.
I will not use extensions!
The intention is to test the movement and control of NPC by the players, activating and deactivating the option of Party Vision.
And I'll apologize in advance for my horrible English!

micael
November 16th, 2022, 11:14
Yes and Yes, Move is restricted and I donīt like group vision... but that should not be a problem- in 5ed I could move another pc without using his sight- problems if he is not next to you yes, but I could move him- and restrictedd movement was also not a problem there but next time I will try anyway if this change anything.
Thanks
Micael