PDA

View Full Version : Whisper ID problems

GoOrange
September 14th, 2007, 05:27
When I was running my game using the SW ruleset on FG2 last night I had a strange bug popping up. When people would whisper me, their comments were prefaced by ID-00014 or ID-00009 instead of the username or the character name.

This made it very difficult to figure out who was whispering me. One of my players mentioned he had seen it before.

Anyone know the cause of this or a fix for this?

Thanks.

Kalan
September 14th, 2007, 06:05
This isn't just the SW ruleset - but as near as I can tell, most custom rulesets (as I have the same issue in another ruleset I use).

I _think_ it has to do with making the characters while connected to the server as opposed to in an offline mode, as the id#'s get assigned on login.

And as of right now - one cannot use custom rulesets to create characters in an offline mode, so we need some way to correct this in the meantime.

We'll see what we can do on this end :)

V

GoOrange
September 14th, 2007, 17:14
Is there a fix for this or a way around it?

VenomousFiligree
September 14th, 2007, 18:10
What my players did, to help me, was to write their name first in the whisper.

:)
MB

Griogre
September 14th, 2007, 19:20
This is kinda a shot in the dark but I wonder if you may be able to fix this by editing the campaign's XML.

I converted serveral ongoing FG1 campaigns to FG2. One of the things I noticed on the converted campaign is that any new character's top level nodes start with id-0000X. However my older PC's, the Converted ones use name id's ie "Tanya" and they all seem to work fine. This is the only placed I've seen that id number defined so I wonder if this is where the id number from whispers is coming from. If so changing the node name from id-xxxxx to <characterName> might help the whisper problem. Make sure you do a mass find/replace and obviously you should back up you campaign XML before trying this.

Ram Tyr
September 14th, 2007, 19:35
FYI
Unusual Whisper Results (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6130)
Note that the devs believed they solved this problem with 2.0.6.

If this is a custom ruleset problem, is this a case where the update to the d20 system was not properly transfered by each user after the update came out? As I recall, the updater does not patch custom rulesets. This was why smiteworks began providing more detail for the patch notes, so that we could patch custom rulesets if we wanted the new 'fix'.

If this is the case, perhaps someone could point out what the fix is so that the custom rulesets could be properly patched? :)

Later.

joshuha
September 14th, 2007, 20:17
Nope, this is affecting rulesets as late as 2.012. The devs did fix it in certain instances but it is still possible to happen.

Also, Savage Worlds (and my custom d20 ruleset) were all updated with 2.012 files.

GoOrange
September 28th, 2007, 05:28
This happened again in the second session of my Savage Worlds game. The player who whispered me was only identified by his ID# and not his name.

Hopefully this bug will get fixed before too long.

DNH
February 5th, 2008, 12:46
This whisper bug continues. Any way to fix it?

Tristram
February 6th, 2008, 05:29
I've experienced this too. The first session I had everyone send a whisper of their character name. Then I wrote on a post-it each number with who it belongs to. Every session since I've found they keep the same whisper ID number. When a new player joined he was assigned the next number in sequence. I just have the post-it next to the keyboard but have found it easy to remember who's who.

joshuha
February 20th, 2008, 14:42
In 2.1 is anyone getting this with the default d20 ruleset?

I found an anomaly in the SW ruleset that differs in the chatmanager.lua file (even though I used 2.0.12 as my base) and I have fixed it. When the Savage Worlds patch is eventually completed that fix will be in there.