PDA

View Full Version : Effect Builder

SoxMax
January 13th, 2022, 16:04
I've created a GUI to make creating effects easier and hopefully show how the Effect strings go together. Each effect can be edited via the magnifying glass which opens a secondary window.

You can find it here: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/457/view

For those that work on extensions, and want to look at the code I've hosted it here: https://github.com/SoxMax/FG-Effect-Builder
I tried to push functionality down into individual effect editors, this should allow for extensions to this extension that override the types of effects supported.

I've created plugins supporting rulesets here:
D&D 5E: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/463/view
D&D 3.5/PFRPG: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/464/view

rhagelstrom
January 13th, 2022, 17:39
I had a similar idea but haven't done anything other than its all in my head. Nice one! I look forward to where this goes.

MrDDT
January 13th, 2022, 18:24
Why not use the effects window?

Kelrugem
January 13th, 2022, 19:02
Why not use the effects window?

It is not about saving effects, but for helping building effects without the need to know the syntax :) The advanced effects extensions usually have something similar, a set of dropdown/cycle menus to select desired behaviours. e.g. selecting something resulting into "Resistance against fire" will generate the effect RESIST: fire :) So, this is about increasing accessibility of the effects' syntax :) (that's the rough explanation; I had not the time to look at it myself :) )

SoxMax
January 13th, 2022, 21:16
What Kelrugem said is right, its about making effects more accessible to people.

My main focus at the moment is on getting the structure of the code right so that adding support for new rulesets/extensions/effects is easy to do. Followed closely by making sure the UI is usable, no point in trying to make Effects accessible if the UI that is supposed to do it isn't accessible to people!

SoxMax
January 14th, 2022, 17:21
Pushed a pretty big update to the UI. Now effect editors are inline with the rows on the Builder page. Let me know what people think of this layout instead?

BushViper
January 14th, 2022, 22:23
This kind of tool has a ridiculous amount of potential.

I'm envisioning a single tool that gives everyone the information that is spread across dozens of extensions and could be a community effort to bring together most (if not all) of the effect coding additions.

I'm not sure my explanation is expressing what I mean very well, heh.

BushViper
January 15th, 2022, 03:16
*Edit, mistake*

I was tinkering around with this and it's incredibly cool. I can't wait until more options are added. Having a 1-stop shop for building effects would be an incredible time saver.

I regularly build effects for items, spells, and abilities, but despite that I have to constantly go look up the effect to make sure I have the syntax perfectly in order. This kind of tool would make that a thing of the past and streamline the process.

However, I did notice that the effect line itself cannot be edited. Can that be opened so we can add effects that aren't yet in the arsenal?

Ulric
January 15th, 2022, 13:10
I did a quick test using this extension with the Starfinder ruleset. I was able to build a few effects without any problems. I’ll do more testing this weekend.

Kelrugem
January 15th, 2022, 13:18
I very like it so far :)

In case you did not know yet: One can seemingly not erase effects (in the effects section, the lowest section); one can add new ones but not delete a line :) the red button does not react to mouse clicks (tested in 3.5E :) )

SoxMax
January 15th, 2022, 13:43
I'm glad people are liking the tool.

@Kel in regards to the deletes, hrm it seems like I broke the buttons while working on other things. They were working at one point!

Also if there are any UI wizards out there willing to lend a hand in general I have a few other quirks about the UI I've been struggling to address

plap3014
January 15th, 2022, 16:22
it is working for 5E?

SoxMax
January 15th, 2022, 16:45
@plap3014 it does work for 5E! I've been using 3.5e/PFRPG as my starting point since I'm more familiar with that ruleset. However comparing the effects from 5E and 3.5e they're extremely similar and what I've implemented so far is usable in 5E as well.

SoxMax
January 15th, 2022, 16:52
Pushed a fix for the broken delete buttons, they should be working again.

Kelrugem
January 15th, 2022, 17:09
Pushed a fix for the broken delete buttons, they should be working again.

Thank you :)

Morenu
January 16th, 2022, 17:40
I love the potential. as someone that has been working on moving to PF1e, learning the syntax from several places is difficult and sometimes inconsistent (or confusing).

question, the code that is created, I am not seeing a way to copy it (highlight it or a copy button). am I missing it?

an area with links to the mods/extensions this is designed to use (the ones new commands come from) would help new folks I would think

This will be a fantastic tool.

SoxMax
January 16th, 2022, 23:07
To get the effect out you can Drag & Drop from the effect output to wherever you need the effect string. I had thought that copy/paste was possible but that doesn't seem to be working, I'll have to look into that.

Currently there's no other extensions other than this one. When I'm able to break it into ruleset specific submods I'll def have to list them all in some central location.

Dire Weasel
January 17th, 2022, 17:17
Minor issue:

It looks like "Susceptibility" is misspelled as "Susceptiblity" in a few places, including some file names.

Mephisto
January 18th, 2022, 08:20
I like it a lot! Would be great if something like this would become the standard GUI in CoreRPG to build effects, would make it so much easier for everyone. :)

SoxMax
January 18th, 2022, 23:41
I'm releasing the Effect Builder as 1.0.0 today. I've gotten the structure of the code to such a point that adding plugins is possible (I've created 2 already). Also the UI is in a much nicer place.

Going forwards all effects will come from plugins supporting rulesets. But I'll leave the 3.5/PFRPG effects as they currently are in the base extension for other rulesets that benefit and don't have a plugin yet.

You can find the plugins I've created here:

Also a big thank you to everyone that started using and providing feedback on the extension already!

MrDDT
January 19th, 2022, 16:54
I'm releasing the Effect Builder as 1.0.0 today. I've gotten the structure of the code to such a point that adding plugins is possible (I've created 2 already). Also the UI is in a much nicer place.

Going forwards all effects will come from plugins supporting rulesets. But I'll leave the 3.5/PFRPG effects as they currently are in the base extension for other rulesets that benefit and don't have a plugin yet.

You can find the plugins I've created here:

Also a big thank you to everyone that started using and providing feedback on the extension already!

Thanks for this.

I noticed on your 5E skill rolls they are capitalized, IE SKILL: 1 Stealth. This does not work in FGU, it needs to be SKILL: 1 stealth
This is the same for all the skills.

Kelrugem
January 19th, 2022, 17:12
Nice :D

What would be the best procedure to produce a plugin with respect to extensions and their new effects? Shall we simply make a pull request on Github for this? We could create a separate plugin for all the 3.5E/PF1 effects also coming from extensions :) May be better to have a separate plugin for this instead of changing the 3.5E/PF1 one, isn't it? Or could one maybe somehow check for extensions in the existing plugins which checks extensions, and if there is extension X, then it will also show and list the effects of extension X? :)

rhagelstrom
January 19th, 2022, 17:34
Hold on. Might be my end

SoxMax
January 19th, 2022, 18:17
@MrDDT thanks for the catch on skill names, I pulled them from the ruleset's DataCommon and figured they'd be suitable. I'll add a :lower() before adding them to the combo box in the next version.

@Kelrugem For extension specific effects that was my next task to build an example of that. I was actually gonna use parts of your Extended automation too!
My thoughts on plugins for extension effects is one of 2 approaches:
- A stand alone plugin that requires the base ruleset plugin and the extension providing new effects.
- In the extension providing new effects, check for the presence of the Effect Builder extension and if present, add your new effects.

In both cases you can modify existing bundles by appending new effect editors to the bundle's loader and providing the corresponding editor window/script (like adding the CL effect from Kel's automation extension to the Spell bundle). You could also add whole new bundles if needed by appending to the bundle loader similar to an effect editor loader, and providing the bundle window plus any child editor windows (again using Kel's extension, adding a (Dis)Advantages bundle).

Either way I really should write up some documentation in the readme on github for this.

@rhagalestrom let me know if its a code issue, because of how FGU/Lua is setup its hard to do REAL inheritance and a lot of the connections between extensions are hoping I didn't have typos.

Kelrugem
January 19th, 2022, 18:24
@Kelrugem For extension specific effects that was my next task to build an example of that. I was actually gonna use parts of your Extended automation too!
My thoughts on plugins for extension effects is one of 2 approaches:
- A stand alone plugin that requires the base ruleset plugin and the extension providing new effects.
- In the extension providing new effects, check for the presence of the Effect Builder extension and if present, add your new effects.

In both cases you can modify existing bundles by appending new effect editors to the bundle's loader and providing the corresponding editor window/script (like adding the CL effect from Kel's automation extension to the Spell bundle). You could also add whole new bundles if needed by appending to the bundle loader similar to an effect editor loader, and providing the bundle window plus any child editor windows (again using Kel's extension, adding a (Dis)Advantages bundle).

Either way I really should write up some documentation in the readme on github for this.

Cool, thanks a lot :) Yeah, an example and some documentation would be really neat :D (and thanks for considering my extension as part of your example :o)

I think the second approach, if possible, would be the best approach :) Should be user-friendlier, then they do not need to load three or more extensions :)

Morenu
January 19th, 2022, 20:30
Looking good!

can you add a clear all button? or new command button?

On the IF commands (and maybe others) can we have the option to add more (not sure what they are called, variables? targets?)... like this for ancestral grudge - IFT: TYPE(elf) and it needs to be (elf,dwarf). add elf then maybe a + or comma button then get a new drop down...

again, nice work

SoxMax
January 19th, 2022, 21:46
To start with a fresh window just close the current one and reopen it with the chat command, that should set everything back to start.

As for multiple variables, similar applies to DMG and other effects that can have multiple damage types. I plan to get to that eventually but focusing on getting examples of plugins working first so that others can populate the effect editor. I don't think I'll ever be able to capture all the effects of all rulesets and extensions alone.

webdove
January 21st, 2022, 00:03
This comment was in error.

webdove
January 21st, 2022, 00:06
This comment was in error (it would be nice if I could just delete it).

webdove
January 21st, 2022, 00:09
Nifty! I cannot wait for some spell options.

BushViper
January 21st, 2022, 09:08
This extension hasn't been out long at all and it's already getting better and better. Give it few months and manually building effects will be a thing we only remember in horror.

SoxMax
January 21st, 2022, 14:13
Question for people using the Effect Builder, would it be easier to work with if the Category Cycler (Attack, Defense, Susceptibility, etc) was replaced with a Combobox instead?

Morenu
January 21st, 2022, 14:35
if a combobox is a dropdown menu or equivalent, then yes it would be imo.

SoxMax
January 21st, 2022, 15:19
Hey everyone, just a heads up the base Effect Builder extension no longer comes bundled with any Effect Editors. If people want some generic Effect Editors in a ruleset agnostic plugin let me know.

The reason for this change is that I needed to rework how Effect Editors are loaded in to support Extension specific effects. The new technique is much cleaner than what I was using before, but does mean that any editors provided in the base Effect Editor would show up alongside ruleset specific effects.

Kelrugem
January 23rd, 2022, 01:36
Shout-out to SoxMax and big thanks :) He went ahead and added the effects of my extended automations extensions to the effect builder :) If you load the effect builder (plus the 3.5e/PF1 plugin) and my extended automation extension, then the effects of my extension will also show up :)

Marmutt1369
January 24th, 2022, 03:21
Hey SoxMax,

Love the Effect Builder, have already found many uses for it in my games. Question I have is it possible to look at getting Aura effects and other types of effects placed into the builder. Just asking due to me not being a programmer myself.

Keep up the great work

BushViper
January 24th, 2022, 04:16
Hey SoxMax,

Love the Effect Builder, have already found many uses for it in my games. Question I have is it possible to look at getting Aura effects and other types of effects placed into the builder. Just asking due to me not being a programmer myself.

Keep up the great work

Obviously, I can't speak for him, but I think that's the plan. There are 15-20 extensions that massively increase the number of options for coding effects.

Kelrugem
January 24th, 2022, 08:48
Hey SoxMax,

Keep up the great work

Obviously, I can't speak for him, but I think that's the plan. There are 15-20 extensions that massively increase the number of options for coding effects.

SoxMax added compatibility with his Size extension and with my extended automation extension :) (thanks again :D) However, it would be a lot of work for SoxMax to do all of that alone, so, in general it is better if the extension devs register their effects for the effect builder :) SoxMax and I (and others who know the effect builder code) can help in that :)

But I believe SoxMax wanted to point out somewhen how this works for devs in general (or I can try that, too :) ). But there are already the plugins for 3.5E/PF1 and 5E; a dev can use these as examples how to register effects for the builder :)

BushViper
January 24th, 2022, 09:03
SoxMax added compatibility with his Size extension and with my extended automation extension :) (thanks again :D) However, it would be a lot of work for SoxMax to do all of that alone, so, in general it is better if the extension devs register their effects for the effect builder :) SoxMax and I (and others who know the effect builder code) can help in that :)

But I believe SoxMax wanted to point out somewhen how this works for devs in general (or I can try that, too :) )

I wouldn't dream of him doing it alone. The hope is that the authors of those extensions create a compatible plug-in and send it to him to incorporate in to his extension.

Kelrugem
January 24th, 2022, 09:48
I wouldn't dream of him doing it alone. The hope is that the authors of those extensions create a compatible plug-in and send it to him to incorporate in to his extension.

I hope so, too, would be really neat if more devs support the effect builder :)

SoxMax
January 24th, 2022, 13:26
I'll probably add support for the Aura extension since I've worked with Bmos on that in the past. But yea overall I'm hoping individual authors choose to integrate on their own since it will be too much for me to maintain plugins for every major extension. Especially for rulesets and extensions I'm not very familiar with.

Beemanpat
January 24th, 2022, 16:23
I'll probably add support for the Aura extension since I've worked with Bmos on that in the past. But yea overall I'm hoping individual authors choose to integrate on their own since it will be too much for me to maintain plugins for every major extension. Especially for rulesets and extensions I'm not very familiar with.

This is great news and your position is understandable. Thank you for this great extension. I have a excel spreadsheet that I use to help organize what extension does what and what new effects are allowed.

SoxMax
January 24th, 2022, 16:37
Just a heads up I had to push some updates today that renames most of the UI components to something more unique for compatibility. Hopefully no one should notice a change, but report in if you're getting errors please.

webdove
January 24th, 2022, 17:05
I hope so, too, would be really neat if more devs support the effect builder :)

It would be helpful if you posted a walkthrough of adding an extension effect. I would be interested in learning how to add Kent McCullugh's "Automatic ..." that have new effect codes.

SoxMax
January 24th, 2022, 18:49
It would be helpful if you posted a walkthrough of adding an extension effect. I would be interested in learning how to add Kent McCullugh's "Automatic ..." that have new effect codes.

This is way too reasonable. Like any mediocre programmer I'm allergic to writing documentation!

But yea I hopefully can have something written up this week. In the short term if you check one of the effects I've implemented, and its script file it may give some guidance:
https://github.com/SoxMax/FG-Effect-Builder-Plugin-35E-PFRPG/blob/main/editors/effect/ATK.xml
https://github.com/SoxMax/FG-Effect-Builder-Plugin-35E-PFRPG/blob/main/editors/effect/scripts/ATK.lua

Basically every effect needs an XML like this with an associated script for the window that tells the effect how to compile itself into a String.

webdove
January 24th, 2022, 21:47
What did the Effect code string look like for this example?

bmos
January 24th, 2022, 22:59
I'll probably add support for the Aura extension since I've worked with Bmos on that in the past. But yea overall I'm hoping individual authors choose to integrate on their own since it will be too much for me to maintain plugins for every major extension. Especially for rulesets and extensions I'm not very familiar with.I plan to add support to my extensions.
From everything I have seen, this looks great!

webdove
January 24th, 2022, 23:01
Oh good. I love Aura Effect

Kelrugem
January 24th, 2022, 23:02
What did the Effect code string look like for this example?

That example is about the ATK effect :)

Kelrugem
January 25th, 2022, 12:39
you/the devs can also check the plugins of SoxMax as coding examples; or also in my extension "Extended automation" in the directory effect builder :) In these extensions are a lot of examples one can follow and it is pretty straightforward. Additionally to SoxMax ATK example some posts ago one can also register own templates to the effect builder for adjusting the needed input :) (needed due to different styles in the effects) Examples for the latter are in my extension in /effectbuilder/common :)

SoxMax
January 25th, 2022, 14:19
I've added an explanation of how to add effects to the README of my Effect-Builder repo: https://github.com/SoxMax/FG-Effect-Builder/blob/main/README.md

Please let me know if anyone thinks I've missed something critical or there are parts that are just unclear.

Svandal
January 25th, 2022, 16:23
I love it. No more reading up on effects from x different places and afterwards not understanding why it does not work because I did a ":" instead of a ";" somewhere :)

webdove
January 25th, 2022, 16:51
you/the devs can also check the plugins of SoxMax as coding examples; or also in my extension "Extended automation" in the directory effect builder :) In these extensions are a lot of examples one can follow and it is pretty straightforward. Additionally to SoxMax ATK example some posts ago one can also register own templates to the effect builder for adjusting the needed input :) (needed due to different styles in the effects) Examples for the latter are in my extension in /effectbuilder/common :)

Thanks!

Marmutt1369
January 26th, 2022, 03:53
I am so impressed with the work you are doing on this extension. Effect Builder is probably the best and most useful extension I have. Great Job!

Svandal
January 26th, 2022, 21:16
I have tested this now and have some suggestions to make it better. I have loaded this together with Kels extension and size change (and others, but it does not look like they are included yet)

These are the effects I am thinking of that I can not build using this extension:
Some of these issuesare extension specific (Kels extension), and some are "vanilla" fantasy grounds.

General:
When using PC tag like [STR], [LVL], etc, you can multiply by any number, this is correct, but this extension only allows you to divide by 2.
No extension fantasy grounds PFRPG also supports divided by 3 and 4, these examples work but are missing:
ATK: [QLVL] (level / 4)
ATK: [TBAB) (BAB / 3)

and with Kels extension we can divide by any number like this:
ATK: [d7LVL] (level / 7)

Ability:
There is an options missing, to get +x on all ability checks, it should be like this:
ABIL: 1
Example is luckstone
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/r-z/stone-of-good-luck-luckstone/

Attacks -> Damage
Here we need a box to select PC tags, like [STR], [LVL], etc.
Example: smite evil
DMG: [LVL]

Lacking PC tags like [LVL], [CL], is also missing from the following menues:
Defense->Critical confirmation AC
Defense->Spell resistance
Miscellaneous->Hit reaction damage
Spells->Spell damage

Miscellaneous->Negative level
Missing dice option like:
NLVL: [1d4]

SoxMax
January 26th, 2022, 21:37
Thanks for the thorough breakdown as always Svandal.

For ABIL I'll have to update that to be its own thing, I was hoping rolling it in with the Ability bonus itself would be enough since it makes for a nicer UI. Of course I should've know there's a way to get + check bonus to all abilities.

The missing PC tags on abilities are all because I just rolled that feature out today and no one has had a chance to update Kel's Automation Extension with that feature, unfortunately this means the base DMG ability is also affected since Kel's overrides that editor to provide extra functionality.

For the division by 3 and 4, along with dice in the negative level those appear to be undocumented features, at least according to this: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643237/PFRPG+and+3.5E+Effects
Do you know if there's a better source of info for effects so I don't miss something again?

Kelrugem
January 26th, 2022, 21:45
For the division by 3 and 4, along with dice in the negative level those appear to be undocumented features, at least according to this: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643237/PFRPG+and+3.5E+Effects
Do you know if there's a better source of info for effects so I don't miss something again?

There is not really a better source sadly; those are rather "recent" additions which is why they are not listed in the wiki, I think :)

And huch, I completely missed that you now also allow (N)PC tags :D

SoxMax
January 26th, 2022, 22:24
Hrm I'm trying Svandal's example of NLVL: [1d4] but it doesn't seem to do anything? I've created an effect in the actions tab and applied the effect to a target and it remains NLVL: [1d4]. Additionally attacks and ability checks don't have any minus applied to them. Is there something I'm missing?

Kelrugem
January 26th, 2022, 22:29
Hrm I'm trying Svandal's example of NLVL: [1d4] but it doesn't seem to do anything? I've created an effect in the actions tab and applied the effect to a target and it remains NLVL: [1d4]. Additionally attacks and ability checks don't have any minus applied to them. Is there something I'm missing?

That is something coming from my extension; not in the base code :)

Since you are now adding such tags, I can look into adding these dice tags to the effects builder since it is related to my extension :) (next to ROLLON and maybe all the other tag possibilities)

SoxMax
January 26th, 2022, 23:03
Ohhh, ok that makes sense. This is that NdM + K option so you can roll dice at application time, rather than at use time for the effect.

Kelrugem
January 26th, 2022, 23:04
Ohhh, ok that makes sense. This is that NdM + K option so you can roll dice at application time, rather than at use time for the effect.

right :)

SoxMax
January 31st, 2022, 15:33
I've updated the 5E effects plugin to have PC tags similar to 3.5/PFRPG. Its missing class tags as I need to spend more time with 5E to figure out the best way to populate those.

Moonunit921
March 3rd, 2022, 15:59
Hey SoxMax, any chance of getting a Pathfinder 2e version of this?

SoxMax
March 4th, 2022, 13:42
@Moonunit921 It looks like PFRPG2 effects are largely similar to PFRPG1 effects. I'll see about adding a PFRPG2 plugin over the weekend. I'm typically cautious to add rulesets I don't have familiarity with though since all I have to work off of is the Effects Wiki (https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643388/PFRPG2+Effects) which is not always fully accurate. Either way though my first attempt will probably hit most use cases and people can suggest changes for things I get wrong :P

SoxMax
March 4th, 2022, 15:39
I've converted what makes sense from PFRPG1 to PFRPG2. https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/527/view

There's a few effects missing like MAP and the additional SAVE effects. Plus no support for numbers on conditions.

SoxMax
March 4th, 2022, 22:17
I've updated the core Effect Builder to support right clicking the output effect string and then copying the string to your clipboard. Also if you hold shift during the drag, you can get an effect type drag, allowing the effect to be directly dropped into the combat tracker, or any other drop location that supports Effects directly.

Moonunit921
March 5th, 2022, 14:54
I've converted what makes sense from PFRPG1 to PFRPG2. https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/527/view

There's a few effects missing like MAP and the additional SAVE effects. Plus no support for numbers on conditions.

That's awesome, thanks for the quick work! We'll playtest it for you.

Sauce101
March 6th, 2022, 15:53
Can anyone link me to instructions for adding the plug-ins? Haven't been able to work that out. Thanks!

Moonunit921
March 6th, 2022, 15:58
You 'get' them at The Forge (link above) and then before you start your module you load them where the themes are

Sauce101
March 6th, 2022, 16:02
Yeah, realized I had the wrong ruleset selected so the plug in wasn't showing. Doh.

Thank you though.

trenton023
March 19th, 2022, 17:26
what folder of fantasy grounds do I need to add this to for functionality to work?

MrDDT
March 19th, 2022, 17:28
what folder of fantasy grounds do I need to add this to for functionality to work?

AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

You can find it by clicking the folder icon on FGU when you start it up. Or while in game open up assets and click the word "folder" at the bottom.

SoxMax
March 19th, 2022, 18:32
If you subscribe to it on the forge it'll be installed properly for you automatically. Also you'll get updates automatically when I make those as well.

MrDDT
March 19th, 2022, 20:04
If you subscribe to it on the forge it'll be installed properly for you automatically. Also you'll get updates automatically when I make those as well.

Worked it out over discord. He was using FGC so that's not an option.

William Killiam
March 29th, 2022, 22:25
When I run the extension, it seems the Save category is missing. All I have access to are Ability, Attacks, Conditionals, Defense, Healing, Miscellaneous, Situational, Spells, and Susceptibility. Am I missing something?

SoxMax
April 1st, 2022, 18:02
@William Killiam I assume you're using the 3.5/PF plugin or the 5e plugin in which case the SAVE bonuses are in the Defense category.

rhagelstrom
May 12th, 2022, 04:09
Playing around with this for future support of BCE/G. As a extension dev it's pretty quick to get up and running with supporting Effect Builder and it has a lot of nice pre made submenus so you don't need to deal with setting up a ton of needed GUI nonsense. As a user I can see this being very helpful. I endorse this extension and hope all extensions try to support it.

BushViper
May 12th, 2022, 04:40
Playing around with this for future support of BCE/G. As a extension dev it's pretty quick to get up and running with supporting Effect Builder and it has a lot of nice pre made submenus so you don't need to deal with setting up a ton of needed GUI nonsense. As a user I can see this being very helpful. I endorse this extension and hope all extensions try to support it.

I agree completely. Months ago I said that this is a tool that has tremendous potential and one that would benefit everyone that utilizes in-game effect code.

Glad to see the endorsement from a creator of such a powerful, valuable extension.

Chuckhdtv
June 8th, 2022, 14:21
The number in the first box is simply for priority level?

SoxMax
June 8th, 2022, 15:14
The number in the first box is simply for priority level?

That's right, if you need to re-arrange your effects as you're building you can use the priority to do that.

Morenu
June 8th, 2022, 18:47
Search feature? :) for when I know the command I am looking for but not where it is in your categories

SoxMax
June 8th, 2022, 22:06
That's a pretty good idea, especially with more authors adding support for the effect builder. I wonder if I could do something like the Spells window is to store all the effects and add multiple things you could search on? Either way any search feature would be a big feature to add.

Morenu
June 9th, 2022, 01:29
And since you have a name line, could we get a save feature so I could send other players to the already created effects, or even better, a depository of community made effects we could choose from ??? :)

SoxMax
June 9th, 2022, 16:34
Saving effects should be easy enough, just drag them to the custom effects in the Effects window. To create community effects it would probably be best to use the existing Modules system to hold all the effects.

If you mean saving an effect in the effect builder so you can see the UI elements that go into it, that's much harder since the effect builder is entirely ephemeral. It would probably be easier to build an effect parser -> effect builder tool which I've gotten a few asks for. That's unfortunately probably a bigger undertaking than search :P

webdove
July 20th, 2022, 17:36
Hi, Will you be adding Kent McCullough's effect extensions? Being able to add them with Effect Builder would be very helpful.

Morenu
July 20th, 2022, 18:29
Hi, Will you be adding Kent McCullough's effect extensions? Being able to add them with Effect Builder would be very helpful.

Link to the extension?

SoxMax
July 20th, 2022, 18:34
I don't typically add support for extensions to the effect builder myself, but I'm willing to work with any extension authors that want to add their effects into the effect builder. Examples of this in the past are @rhagelstrom's Better Combat Effects (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/76/view) or Kelrugem's Extended Automation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1/view)

The README for the Effect Builder also has a brief explanation of how to integrate with the Effect Builder. https://github.com/SoxMax/FG-Effect-Builder/blob/main/README.md

webdove
July 20th, 2022, 18:48
Link to the extension?

Here is the dmsguild search page for "Kent McCullough Automatic"
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Kent+McCullough++automatic&filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

GEONE
August 12th, 2022, 03:53
Hello! I seem to be getting an error when I flip the effect type to Ongoing Damage

https://i.imgur.com/WWni5VV.png

SoxMax
August 12th, 2022, 18:46
ahh, my last fix didn't quite get all of this. I've uploaded a more comprehensive fix.

deer_buster
September 9th, 2022, 15:00
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_ABILITY"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_ABIL"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_AC"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_ATK"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_DC"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_DMG"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_DMGO"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_DMGTYPE"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_FHEAL"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_HEAL"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_IMMUNE"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_INIT"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_PERC"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_PROF"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_REGEN"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_RESIST"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_SAVE"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_SITUATION"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_SKILL"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_SPEED"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_SPELLROLL"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_WEAK"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_ALIGN"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_CONDITION"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_CREATURE_TYPE"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_CUSTOM"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_HEALTH"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)
[9/9/2022 8:54:52 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "loader_conditional_SIZE"]:3: attempt to index global 'EditorManager' (a nil value)

SoxMax
September 9th, 2022, 22:34
Did you enable the Effect Builder extension as well as the ruleset specific plugin?

SoxMax
December 4th, 2022, 14:42
I've recently had time to get back to giving the Effect Builder some more love.

Version 1.8 of effect builder removes the Category & Effect comboboxes and adds a whole new window the Effect Library. The effect library is sorted on Effect Name and is filterable on Effect Name and Category similar to how sidebar launched windows work.

I also finally got around to supporting what I think are all the missing features from the 5E effects, if there's anything else missing in 5E please let me know!

bmos
December 4th, 2022, 15:39
I've recently had time to get back to giving the Effect Builder some more love.

Version 1.8 of effect builder removes the Category & Effect comboboxes and adds a whole new window the Effect Library. The effect library is sorted on Effect Name and is filterable on Effect Name and Category similar to how sidebar launched windows work.

I also finally got around to supporting what I think are all the missing features from the 5E effects, if there's anything else missing in 5E please let me know!Does this require any updates to extensions that have added support or is the UI using the same data structures/names/etc?

MrDDT
December 4th, 2022, 17:43
This is pretty nice. Thanks

SoxMax
December 4th, 2022, 19:14
Does this require any updates to extensions that have added support or is the UI using the same data structures/names/etc?

No breaking changes as of yet. I'm not going to do that until I've got a good reason for it.

Garethpr
January 12th, 2023, 13:41
Hi I get this message in the chat box when I type in /effectbuilder.

"Couldn't open Effect Builder. No effect editors loaded."

There are no errors in the console log Win 10 FGU
Is there some other module or extension I need to have active?
BTW it works in Starfinder just fine.

regards Gareth

Morenu
January 12th, 2023, 16:38
Hi I get this message in the chat box when I type in /effectbuilder.

"Couldn't open Effect Builder. No effect editors loaded."

There are no errors in the console log Win 10 FGU
BTW it works in Starfinder just fine.

regards Gareth

what ruleset isn't it working in, I know PF1e and 5e both have an extension that must be loaded with effect builder for them to work

bmos
January 12th, 2023, 17:27

what ruleset isn't it working in, I know PF1e and 5e both have an extension that must be loaded with effect builder for them to work

The ruleset plugins are all linked from the Effect Builder Forge page.
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/457/view

Trenloe
January 13th, 2023, 09:02
The post title mentions CoreRPG / MoreCore; which, according to the Forge Page, doesn't appear to be supported.

damned
January 13th, 2023, 09:16
MoreCore has no mechanical effects.
No point in trying to use this with MoreCore.

Garethpr
January 13th, 2023, 16:58
Core Rpg and morecore sorry thought i'd added that.

Garethpr
January 13th, 2023, 17:04
yep i have the starfinder one which is great that works as i said - and I have the better combat effects loaded - while using corerpg and morecore - that's whan i get the message no effect editor loaded.

damned
January 13th, 2023, 21:54
Neither MoreCore or CoreRPG have any mechanical effects.

Navigat0r
January 21st, 2023, 14:54
Hello. I am currently using this extension in my PFRPG campaign. I was wondering where I can find the options related to bonuses/penalties to damage and saving throws. I know that I can just do these basic effects manually (DMG: -2 or whatnot isn't too complicated) but in this case I was hoping to create a longer string of effects within the builder (and not have exit and copy/paste several sections). Using the search function in the effect builder turns up plenty of other more advanced effects related to saves and damage so I thought it odd I couldn't locate the more basic ones.

bmos
January 21st, 2023, 14:59
Where I can find the options related to bonuses/penalties to damage and saving throws
They show up for me:
https://i.imgur.com/J2SfFhE.png

Do you have the 3.5E plugin? https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/464/view

Navigat0r
January 21st, 2023, 16:07
They show up for me

I have the plugin, so I went ahead and tested it in another campaign with no other extensions. In the test campaign, saves and damage appear in the menu as you showed in the image above. I imagine there is some sort of extension conflict going on as the those options do not appear for me when I look at the "Attacks" and "Defense" menu of my main campaign.

I have attached an image showing the only options I see in their respective menus.

SoxMax
January 21st, 2023, 19:31
Interesting, can you post the list of enabled extensions you have as well? Conflicts in Effect providers shouldn't cause effects to disappear, but it would be great to see if I've overlooked something.

SoxMax
January 22nd, 2023, 00:30
I did some digging, I think this is a conflict with Better Combat Effects, which is overwriting the DMG and SAVE effect editors.

Navigat0r
January 22nd, 2023, 06:19
Here is the list of extensions I have enabled currently - I also occasionally use the universal module extension. I will test again with Better Combat Effects disabled to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Saves and damage both reappear in their respective menus when Better Combat Effects is disabled.

rhagelstrom
January 23rd, 2023, 03:05
Fixed in Better Combat Effects v2.65

celebrindal
February 11th, 2023, 04:51
Ok loading this extension by itself. As of the patch yesterday, or day before, it's causing error's on loading.56154

Running effect builder 3.5/pfrpg effects v1.5.1

Kelrugem
February 11th, 2023, 05:26
Ok loading this extension by itself. As of the patch yesterday, or day before, it's causing error's on loading.56154

Running effect builder 3.5/pfrpg effects v1.5.1

Do you also have the plugin loaded? https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/464/view

celebrindal
February 11th, 2023, 05:45
Ya that was it, was trying to trouble shoot a dice roll error and forgot to reload that as well. Ok looks like yours is in the clear, both builders not loaded and the dice error is still cropping up.

Kelrugem
February 11th, 2023, 07:13
Ya that was it, was trying to trouble shoot a dice roll error and forgot to reload that as well. Ok looks like yours is in the clear, both builders not loaded and the dice error is still cropping up.

Good :)

@Roll error: Solved in my thread :)

Dudin
February 19th, 2023, 22:23
When trying to make an Ongoing Save effect using the 5E plugin, I think there is an error.

When you select Ongoing Save type, the string that pops up in the Effect Builder has line spacing that seems off. It comes up like this:

"SAVEO
S
:"

That doesn't seem like intended behavior. Am I missing something?

rhagelstrom
February 19th, 2023, 23:00
I'll take a look at the BCE stuff. It probably needs some love.

Navigat0r
February 20th, 2023, 15:12
Hello. I think I have found another conflict with this extension and Better Combat Effects. As was the case last time I posted in this thread, having both extensions enabled in a fresh PFRPG campaign with no other extensions appears to make certain options disappear from the effect builder interface. This time around the "attack" option only appears if BCE is not loaded.

ChipDancer
March 3rd, 2023, 18:34
Soxmax,

I noticed in your effects listing for PF2E that there is no means to account for Temp HP, like such as what Raging provides for a Barbarian. Any plans to add that functionality to the effects builder?

Thanks in advance for all the hard work!

:)

ChipDancer

bmos
March 3rd, 2023, 23:18
Soxmax,

I noticed in your effects listing for PF2E that there is no means to account for Temp HP, like such as what Raging provides for a Barbarian. Any plans to add that functionality to the effects builder?

Thanks in advance for all the hard work!

:)

ChipDancerThe effects builder just gives access to a ruleset's effects.
There does not appear to be a temporary hp effect in PFRPG2: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643388/PFRPG2+Effects

ChipDancer
March 4th, 2023, 00:29
The effects builder just gives access to a ruleset's effects.
There does not appear to be a temporary hp effect in PFRPG2: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996643388/PFRPG2+Effects

I saw that, but didn't realize it was limited to what was there. So, is there any way to automate abilities, say like Rage, to automatically populate the TEMP HP field in the combat tracker that any of you might know of?

Thanks in advance,

ChipDancer

bmos
March 4th, 2023, 00:39
is there any way to automate abilities, say like Rage, to automatically populate the TEMP HP field in the combat tracker that any of you might know of?Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the pfrpg2 ruleset in FG.
I'd suggest asking in the Pathfinder 2E forum (maybe start by looking at a few pages of threads in case it's been recently discussed) here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3399407).

webdove
April 5th, 2023, 22:40
Why aren't effects like VISMAX available in Effect Builder? It is defined in https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1315930113/Player+and+NPC+Token+Vision+on+Maps
and I thought it included any effect in 5E.

damned
April 5th, 2023, 23:36
Another way to write this might be...

Great extension! Makes it much easier for my players and I. Any chance of adding VISMAX?

webdove
April 5th, 2023, 23:59
I am sorry and you are correct. I was senselessly harsh in my phrasing. I had presumed that somewhere in the FGU code there is a dispatch table for all effects and I wondered how that could be out of sync with effects builder.

bmos
April 6th, 2023, 00:28
I had presumed that somewhere in the FGU code there is a dispatch table for all effects and I wondered how that could be out of sync with effects builder.That sure would be nice! Unfortunately there is not. Adding effects to Effects Builder needs to be done manually.

SoxMax
April 6th, 2023, 02:54
I pulled the list of effects from here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

But completely forgot that the vision effects were added a few patches back. I'll get them added next chance I get.

MrDDT
April 6th, 2023, 04:28
Why aren't effects like VISMAX available in Effect Builder? It is defined in https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1315930113/Player+and+NPC+Token+Vision+on+Maps
and I thought it included any effect in 5E.

Another way to write this might be...

Great extension! Makes it much easier for my players and I. Any chance of adding VISMAX?

That sure would be nice! Unfortunately there is not. Adding effects to Effects Builder needs to be done manually.

I pulled the list of effects from here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

But completely forgot that the vision effects were added a few patches back. I'll get them added next chance I get.

Thanks to all of you for working on this, it's pretty awesome. Don't feel bad Webdove, I read it like you thought it but as we can see it does look harsh if you read it without the thought that bmos pointed out.

Good catch in and report though.

I would really like to see something like this go more main stream for FGU as a lot of GM's do not know how to find coding effects well and as SoxMax has pointed out new ones are getting added.

webdove
April 6th, 2023, 04:47
Finding out was exactly the problem I was having. I can understand that Kent McCullough extensions have to be added manually, but I was hoping that the base FGU ones could be found somewhere and Effect Builder would be a great way to do that. Is there a simple syntactic language for adding ones like Kent's?

bmos
April 6th, 2023, 11:54
Is there a simple syntactic language for adding ones like Kent's?Here is how Kelrugem added support to one of his extensions: https://github.com/Kelrugem/Extended-automation-and-overlays/tree/main/effect_builder
Here is how I added it to Aura Effect: https://github.com/FG-Unofficial-Developers-Guild/FG-Aura-Effect/tree/main/effect_builder

Kelrugem
April 6th, 2023, 14:10
Here is how Kelrugem added support to one of his extensions: https://github.com/Kelrugem/Extended-automation-and-overlays/tree/main/effect_builder

(Thanks for the reference, but for completeness, SoxMax did all of that, I just merged his code, hehe :D)

webdove
April 7th, 2023, 04:05
Hi,
These seem surprisingly complex (dozens of lines of special code).
I was hoping for something along the lines of the "hello world" program in C that shows the simplest example of an effect builder extension syntax.
For example I made a derivative of a Celestion's extension from 2e for 5e that I called DMGX. The syntactic description is one line.
DMGX (N) [multiplier] Damage multiplier. For example a 2 would double damage, 0.5 would reduce the damage by ½.
I would like to be able to tell effect builder that DMGX is a valid effect with a positive floating point numerical argument that scales damage.
Is there an example of something that simple?
Thanks
Web

bmos
April 7th, 2023, 12:09
I made a derivative of a Celestion's extension from 2e for 5e that I called DMGX. The syntactic description is one line.
DMGX (N) [multiplier] Damage multiplier. For example a 2 would double damage, 0.5 would reduce the damage by ½.
I would like to be able to tell effect builder that DMGX is a valid effect with a positive floating point numerical argument that scales damage.
Is there an example of something that simple?This one is doing almost exactly that for "MHP: N": https://github.com/bmos/FG-PFRPG-Live-Hitpoints/tree/main/effect_builder
The effect manager process is not that intuitive if you don't have much familiarity with FG extension development (including XML)

SoxMax
April 16th, 2023, 19:39
I've added support for CoreRPG vision & light effects to the effect builder v1.9.0. I'll update the ruleset specific plugins with ruleset specific vision and lights next.

celebrindal
May 16th, 2023, 18:51
Have you updated the effect builder for starfinder lately? It's showing 150+ days on the forge. Just tried installing it for starfinder and it's giving me errors. Love it in my pathfinder game so was looking forward to it in the starfinder games. Thanks.

SoxMax
May 17th, 2023, 00:16
@celebrindal I haven't updated Starfinder, but I did push some updates to the base Effect Builder recently.

I spent a little bit of time trying the effect builder on starfinder (Just effect builder and starfinder plugin enabled) and wasn't able to get any errors. Can you send me the errors you're seeing?

celebrindal
May 19th, 2023, 16:48
*edit* still not working. snapshot of the errors. This is upon load with only the core modules loaded. (Core rulebook, alien archive, and starship op).

bmos
May 19th, 2023, 22:51
*edit* still not working. snapshot of the errors. This is upon load with only the core modules loaded. (Core rulebook, alien archive, and starship op).

Have you loaded the Effect Builder extension? You need it AND the Starfinder add-on.
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/457/view

celebrindal
May 19th, 2023, 23:13
Yup that was it, I keep forgetting that I need both ;-)

bmos
May 20th, 2023, 03:05
@SoxMax maybe configure the add-ons to check for the core extension on load and pop up a warning window or chat message if it's not found?

amanwing
July 18th, 2023, 13:22
is it possible to create effects for AD&D 2e with this?

Navigat0r
August 5th, 2023, 15:24
Hello, I was recently using this extension along with rhagelstrom's Better Combat Effects extension to automate some poisons in PFRPG. Using the options in the "Ongoing Saves" category, I was unable to find a way to set what sort of save I want the target to make. For example, when entered manually the effect "test; SAVEA: 15 FORT (R); SAVEADD: Dazzled" works fine - the monster is required to make a save the moment the effect is added. The ongoing damage option also works fine when input manually. However, when using the effect builder the drop down menu does not show FORT (or will or reflex). The only options that appear are the six ability types as well as BAB, LVL and CL. Is there something I am missing here?

On a similar note, is it possible to use the effect builder to create a variable ability damage effect (1d2 DEX damage for example). As far as I know, such functionality is not part of fantasy grounds out of the box, but as this extension works together with Kelrugems Extended Automation I was wondering if such an effect was possible.

SoxMax
August 5th, 2023, 18:08
Hey sorry I've not responded to people.

@bmos: yea I think I'll need to add something like that as this error keeps popping up.

@amanwing: It should be pretty easy, though you'd need a ruleset plugin. It should be pretty easy to adapt the plugins for 3.5/Pathfinder or 5E to make an AD&D one. I haven't had much time for Fantasy Grounds coding but everything is on my github as an example.

@Navigat0r: The effect builder doesn't actually add any functionality to the game, it just exposes what functionality is already available. Unfortunately that functionality can't be auto detected and must be registered by plugin owners. In the case of the drop down with SAVEA from Better Combat Effects it sounds like a bug with the integration.
I think to track ability damage you'd need bmos' Malady Tracker (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/54/view) extension
You may also be interested in his Drain and Permanent Bonuses (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/49/view) extension

Navigat0r
August 6th, 2023, 04:51
@Navigat0r: The effect builder doesn't actually add any functionality to the game, it just exposes what functionality is already available. Unfortunately that functionality can't be auto detected and must be registered by plugin owners. In the case of the drop down with SAVEA from Better Combat Effects it sounds like a bug with the integration.
I think to track ability damage you'd need bmos' Malady Tracker (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/54/view) extension
You may also be interested in his Drain and Permanent Bonuses (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/49/view) extension

Okay, if this is something that needs to be registered by the plugin owner should I go ahead and ask in Better Combat Effects thread instead? I am not sure where to post for the ability damage question. I do use both of the extensions that you mentioned but I am not sure if either of them covers ability damage applied as an effect with a variable numeric value (-1d2 dex as opposed to just -2 dex).

SoxMax
August 6th, 2023, 18:02
Yes best to report the Better Combat Effects issue in that thread.

While I haven't used it personally I think Malady Tracker has the ability to track poisons for example which do variable ability damage per turn. Bmos includes a nice video on the forge page to show how it works though. I'm not sure there's a good way in 3.5/Pathfinder to do a single instance of ability damage though.

SxySamurai
October 1st, 2023, 23:04
I was able to get the primary extension to work, however, I don't see anything for PF2E even though the page shows I have gotten that extension. I don't see the option to select in under themes nor do I see any sort of information in the actual extension folder.

Help. :D

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2023, 10:00
I was able to get the primary extension to work, however, I don't see anything for PF2E even though the page shows I have gotten that extension. I don't see the option to select in under themes nor do I see any sort of information in the actual extension folder.

Help. :D
If the Forge page is showing that you own the extension, run an FG update to download/update the products and extensions you own. Then on the Load Campaign screen for a Pathfinder (2E) campaign, select "Feature: Effect Builder" and "Feature: Effect Builder Plugin - PFRPG2"

Navigat0r
November 23rd, 2023, 08:11
Hello. I was wondering if the pf2 plugin for this extension has been updated to work for the legacy version of the PF2 ruleset? I launched my pf2 game today after not playing for a while and when prompted to do so, chose the option that made me continue to use the old rules. Now that I am using the legacy ruleset, I am not longer able to select the pf2 plugin from the extension list like I used to be able to. Is there a different plugin I should be using now?

SoxMax
November 27th, 2023, 19:49
Unless the effects for PF2 and PF2 Legacy are substantially different there's no reason not to use the same plugin for both. I'll see about getting this updated and add a new legacy PF2 plugin if needed.

Edit:
Added PFRPG2-Legacy as a supported ruleset to the PF2 plugin

The Judge
December 16th, 2023, 18:41
I'm unsure if this is related to the Complete Offensive Package - Auras extension, but I thought I would post it here for info.
I get this console pop-out error when using effect builder to build an Aura effect.
Script execution error: [string "FG-Aura-Effect:..r/effects/scripts/AURA.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'effect_auraCube' (a nil value)

mattekure
December 18th, 2023, 17:54
I'm unsure if this is related to the Complete Offensive Package - Auras extension, but I thought I would post it here for info.
I get this console pop-out error when using effect builder to build an Aura effect.
Script execution error: [string "FG-Aura-Effect:..r/effects/scripts/AURA.lua"]:9: attempt to index global 'effect_auraCube' (a nil value)

Based on your post here: https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects&p=703910&viewfull=1#post703910

It appears the Effect Build ext may need an update. As of the latest build of COP-Aura, it no longer uses the AURASHAPE and AURACOLOR effects. Those properties can be defined directly in the AURA tag like this:

AURA: 10 all,color[blue]
AURA: 15 all,cube
AURA: 20 all,cube,color[red]

full info at https://bookstack.mattekure.com/books/cop-auras/page/instructions

SoxMax
December 19th, 2023, 13:13
I'll need to know what extension is providing the Complete Offensive Package - Auras effects to the Effect Builder, since by default the Effect Builder doesn't know how to build any effects. Once I have the Provider extension I can update the definition of the Builder so the effects that get built match the expected format.

mattekure
December 19th, 2023, 14:29
hmm, no clue on that. I didnt create a provider extension for COP - Auras

Morenu
December 19th, 2023, 15:07
COP aura (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/620/view) is a Rob2e group extension, could that be from Aura Effect (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/32/view) by bmos?

mattekure
December 19th, 2023, 15:15
The issue seems to be with the provider included in the Aura effect extension. I did some testing and it throws errors whenever an Aura effect is added. Weirdly I get slightly different errors if the 5e plugin is installed or not. but either way when an aura is added, the error gets thrown.

With just Effect Builder and Aura Effect ext loaded I get this:
https://i.imgur.com/ByJggJo.png

With Effect Builder, Effect Builder plugin 5e and Aura I get a different error:
https://i.imgur.com/apWiO9J.png

SoxMax
December 20th, 2023, 14:40
It looks like there's already a fix for the `attempt to index global 'effect auraCube' (a nil value)` problem in the Aura extension, it just hasn't been released yet.

The former error will require more checking to ensure the Ruleset Plugin is loaded.

bmos
December 21st, 2023, 14:43
It looks like there's already a fix for the `attempt to index global 'effect auraCube' (a nil value)` problem in the Aura extension, it just hasn't been released yet.

And now it has! :)
Along with more fixes from Ryan.

wndrngdru
January 24th, 2024, 01:51
The builder is throwing a lot of "nil" and bracers, i.e., {} to the chat any time a value is changed/added/etc. Almost like a debug was left enabled.

I'm using this with the Cypher System module. Let me know if I should be hitting up Saagael instead.

SoxMax
January 24th, 2024, 02:03
Can you post a screencap of the errors? I did push a new version recently but I would expect his Ruleset Plugin to still be compatible.

wndrngdru
January 24th, 2024, 02:18
I would love to, but attachments aren't working for me. Here's a sample of the output though.

{ }
nil
{ #1 = s'acid' }
nil
nil
nil
nil
nil
{ }

There's a new line of output anytime something is changed in the Effect Builder window.

SoxMax
January 25th, 2024, 00:29
Hey sorry I finally had time to look at this. I see what you meant, it definitely looks like Debug commands were left on. I think you'll have to ping Saagael for this.

wndrngdru
January 25th, 2024, 03:36
Thanks for looking into it. I'll rattle his cage and see what's up. :D