PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob = How to DW2 & CP2020?

VgnFrnd
September 13th, 2007, 17:54
Hi. I am a total, total noob, but I do like entering data sometimes. Indeed, I would like to use the copy of FGII that I purchased to run Darwins World 2 (DW2) and Cyberpunk 2020 (CP2020)

DW2 runs on the d20 modern rule, with the addition of "mutant" feats. I've read as much of the "ruleset modification guide" as I can understand, so I am aware of the basic difference between rulesets and databases in FGII. I am also aware that Thore & Co. are getting ready to publish the msrd in FGII format. Finally, I know that Cyjack is almost done with a modern-inspired skin for FGII.

However, I remain confused about a few things. For example, Thore & Co. have said with regard to their d20 SRD and SW releases that they are not rulesets. Instead, they are modules, because FGII doesn't support rulesets in the same sense as FGI did. But the "ruleset modification guide" says that FGII rulesets contain the sheets and logic that govern the way database data is displayed and processed. So, it seems to me (perhaps erroneously), that if I try to simply plug in DW2 and CP2020 datasets (or, for that matter, DA's MSRD modules) and try to use them with FGII's standard d20 ruleset, FGII will not be able to process the data and rules that are specific to the MSRD, DW2, or CP2020 because FGII would still be relying on the d20 SRD ruleset, which is not coded to process other rulesets according to their own, varying logics. <-- I hope that made sense.

Also, as far as I can tell, Cyjack's skin is just that: a skin that changes the "look and feel" of FGII, but does not alter any of its processes.

Thus, finally, I can't figure out where to begin if I want FGII to work with both rulesets and databases that are designed specifically for DW2, CP2020, or d20 Modern.

I am absolutely positive that I am missing huge swaths of what must be obvious territory to most of you, but I have been reading these boards for more than a month and I haven't been able to figure out where I should begin.

I would greatly appreciate any help that is offered, even it means subjecting myself to nooby-noob jokes!

Thank you,

-Vegan

Griogre
September 13th, 2007, 20:53
In FG2, rulesets are only needed if you need to change the basic d20 rules or character sheets.

So in you DW2 example you would not need a new ruleset because it is a d20 game (understand you might want to change the look which would require a new ruleset with a few minor changes). To add your "mutant" feats you would make a rule module (sometimes called a ruleset module) which would contain the list of feats probably as either a client or common module.

So changes to the look of FG, the character sheet, combat tracker, ect. are require a new or modified ruleset.

Just adding some game information as a book just requires a rule module.

VgnFrnd
September 13th, 2007, 23:06
Thanks for the reply, Griogre. I had been worried that my post was too general to prompt a response. Now I understand that for DW2, I should concentrate my coding efforts to creating a ruleset module. Great! But I am still wondering what will happen when (not if) I buy DA's MSRD. Will that package make an changes to the ruleset? I am asking because there are some rule differences between d20 and d20modern. The simplest "cosmetic" difference I can think of is that d20m refers to Defense Class (DC) instead of Armor Class (AC). Changing that designation would require a change in FGII's ruleset, right?

Griogre
September 14th, 2007, 01:12
I think you may not realize that you can have a bunch of different rulesets in FG just as you can have a bunch of rule modules. A professional quality product will almost certainly use a custom ruleset to reskin and make changes to the character sheet.

I'm sure the MSRD will also include rule modules. Rule modules are almost all text or tables. I would say the odds are very high, 95% plus that any DW2 feat rule book you make with just text or tables could be made compatible with DA's MSRD with just adding a line to the module telling it was compatible to the MSRD. If you have a specific concern then you should probably ask it at DA's Forums.

VgnFrnd
September 14th, 2007, 01:38
Great! Thanks again for the reply. I did know that I can have different sets of rulesets and module rulesets, but I also know that we can only have one set loaded at a time, and that tweaking one does not tweak the others accordingly. So, the big question for me had to do with where I should put my efforts in order to produce changes that are maximally and most easily integrated into other rulesets. Still, I'll PM Thore if I have more specific questions about integration with DA's MSRD.

Meanwhile, I have just one more nagging doubt: Does changing the character sheet create changes in how the combat tracker works, or will I need to synchronize changes to the character sheets and the combat tracker?

Foen
September 14th, 2007, 06:29
For cosmetic changes, such as a re-skin, the combat tracker isn't impacted. For more fundamental changes (such as removing Armor Class, replacing Hit Points with a Conditions track etc) then the Combat Tracker will need to be updated.

The CT is quite a daunting piece of code at first, but can be modified if you're careful. Make regular backups of your custom ruleset (or use a version control system) so you can rescue any broken code!

Stuart

VgnFrnd
September 14th, 2007, 15:29
Excellent! Thank you. I suppose I'll start tinkering, and save more specific coding questions until later. Thanks again to all who responded.

Valarian
September 14th, 2007, 21:17
I'm also interested in Cyberpunk 2020, although it's been pushed down on the To Do list for other games. I'd certainly be willing to work on this with you, time permitting. The XML isn't a problem for me at all, I'm fairly familiar with XML. I'm still trying to get to grips with Lua though. I'm terrible with graphics though, a sense of aesthetics is about it. No artistic talent whatsoever.

VgnFrnd
September 14th, 2007, 21:52
That's great, Valarian! I really enjoy CP2020, and it would be great to help bring it to FGII. I must confess, however, that I am a beginner at most everything: I purchased FGII only a couple of months ago, I have no prior experience with XML (although I grasp the basics easily enough and can reverse-engineer it with given enough time), I had never heard of Lua prior to a couple of days ago, and I'm only average with graphics. But I do like to tinker, and I'm good with data entry and persistence. So, slow and steady (hopefully not irregular!) would need to be the order of the day.

Before we even decide whether to continue, I think we'd need to figure out if modifying the combat tracker (with lua) to handle the totally different game engine is worth our time figuring out?

VgnFrnd
September 14th, 2007, 22:14
P.S.: Our lives during this project would be a lot simpler if Dr. Deth and Foen manage to get their Ruleset Editor finished (link below):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5764

I know that it is hard for me to keep waiting, waiting, waiting, for the cool stuff that I like to become possible, but I decided to throw in my lot with FGII because at least with this program (and its user community) it at least seems do-able to support non d20 systems.

Anyway, what do you think?

Foen
September 14th, 2007, 22:27
It's the good doctor's editor ... I'm just tagging along to help out where I can (and not very quickly at that!).

*spurred on by encouragement, he redoubles his effort*

Stuart