PDA

View Full Version : What extensions should I use?

hpdonat
January 7th, 2022, 07:16
My obsessive tendencies have once again overburdened my inclination of thoroughness. As it stands I have downloaded far too many extensions, most of which upon further review, are probably of little use, at least for my current purposes. So, in an attempt to streamline my options, what extensions would any of you recommend for a fairly novice FGU DM and/or player?

Valyar
January 7th, 2022, 07:23
My best recommendation is to start without any extension, learn the ruleset by reading its documentation, see how it works for you and after you master it, start exploring what things people developed to enhance the life of GM and Players. Starting with tons of extensions is bad - you don't know if this is ruleset or not, how they work together, conflicts and etc.

Start simple, then add. ;)

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2022, 09:48
I would echo Valyar. If you are new to Fantasy Grounds then don't bother with extensions at all. The use of, and which extensions to use, is down to personal preference. A lot depends on what you would like FG to do, and if it doesn't do that thing whether there's an extension to fill the gap. So you can't really advise anyone on what or what not to use since it's down to what you want rather than anything else.

damned
January 7th, 2022, 12:55
My best recommendation is to start without any extension, learn the ruleset by reading its documentation, see how it works for you and after you master it, start exploring what things people developed to enhance the life of GM and Players. Starting with tons of extensions is bad - you don't know if this is ruleset or not, how they work together, conflicts and etc.

Start simple, then add. ;)

I would echo Valyar. If you are new to Fantasy Grounds then don't bother with extensions at all. The use of, and which extensions to use, is down to personal preference. A lot depends on what you would like FG to do, and if it doesn't do that thing whether there's an extension to fill the gap. So you can't really advise anyone on what or what not to use since it's down to what you want rather than anything else.

Echoing the above gentlefolk.

The Decepticon
January 7th, 2022, 13:55
I have ben DMing for almost a year on FGU (I know a baby still) and I only use a few extensions, which are very minor. The one that helped me the most was the Druid wild shape extension. Other than that I use flavorful text extension for some comic relief, coin flip, and an extension that allows me to change damage output from the CT for NPCs (name escapes me at the moment).

Other than that we code in what we need and the software provides the rest. It has been pretty smooth sailing for my groups so far. I am really happy with my purchase and look forward to playing on FG for a long time.

dsaraujo
January 7th, 2022, 23:48
I also try to keep my extensions to a minimum (zero if possible). The ones I have enabled for my PF2E campaign are:

B9 - Spell Tokens
CoreRPG - Audio Overseer
Golarion Languages and Fonts FGU
PF2E Modifiers Desktop Buttons
PF2 Encounter Helper (I just made this one!)

Others that I use from time to time:

PF2CreatureParser
NameMaker
CoreRPG - CSV Table Importer MK
Feature: Coins Weight
Feature: Aura Effects
Feature: Universal Module
Calendar Plus

Others that I used in the past and stopped:

CoreRPG - Better Menus (I like the new Side Bar)
CoreRPG - Wound Overlay (breaks often, but I like it)

DrakePD
January 8th, 2022, 04:35
After several years and adding many players to my tables who build modules and extensions in FG. I have a large list of extensions that I use (Over 50) that I use. I do admit that I have to constantly stay on top of them. Making sure they are not conflicting with one another and updated is pretty much old habit for me now but was not the case. I too started using them too early and it really hindered my table and added more frustrations to my games as I was learning. I recommend that you baby step slowly into them and learn if you even need them to enjoy DMing.

SmokeMeowt
January 8th, 2022, 12:57
The Player Agency extension has become a must-have for FGU for me. I've put so much work into creating records with it, it always stays active. The Requested Rolls extensions is quickly becoming another staple as well.

Imagix
January 9th, 2022, 02:36
I use maybe 2 extensions. Player Agency, and Universal Module (and that's only for the campaign where I wanted to use the images from a 2E module in 5E).

Mytherus
January 9th, 2022, 03:09
Yet again I'm just another one to support the "only use what you REALLY need and find value in". I speak from experience not just theory btw. A few years ago when I just got into using FG I used a ton of extensions, I mean at one time I was loading about 20 extensions. I literally wondered one day "why am I loading these I don't need this". Atm I'm only running a single campaign (but I've been working on one to announce this spring) I'm running either I think 3 extensions, possibly 4. Every one does something that makes my life easier as a DM (well one adds some flair for the PCs too). That spring campaign I'll likely only use 3.

I know some DMs that have sent me messages on discord saying "hey Tom you know there's an extension for that....." or "hey myth -- you know you can get an extension to handle that" etc. etc.

And its little things like hiding something from the party or doing some simple calculation with converting coins to weight.

I usually just say "thanks" ...but in honesty 80% of the times the thing I'm asked to check out I think in my mind is a waste to use an extension for.

But hey to each their own I always say -- its your game, you are the DM. Do what you will. I favor neat and tidy -- so I like keeping extensions "tight" and simple to manage.