PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Ambient Light please!

Hjorimir
January 5th, 2022, 23:46
Apparently, I don't understand ambient light. I would think that if I have "daylight" ambient light turned on, characters would be able to see each other (while within said ambient light), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A story in three pictures:
Pic 1: Ambient light off, character with torch, another character beyond the torchlight that cannot be seen (as expected).
Pic 2: Ambient light (daylight) on, same character positions, would expect that they can see each other (as they are both within the light), but they cannot.
Pic 3: Ambient light (daylight) still on, move character with torch into the range of that light and now they can see each other.

Why doesn't the ambient light work for pic 2?

Mike Serfass
January 8th, 2022, 23:14
When changing lighting, the token vision doesn't always automatically refresh. Try the same steps as you detailed, but move the torch-holder away from the other character (further out of torch light range). See if the other character becomes visible. If this works, it's a refresh / screen redraw issue rather than a lighting bug.
This happens on my maps regularly. Tokens must be moved after changing lighting to cause a vision refresh.
(Wouldn't it be weird if it was like that in real life? Turn on the lights, it's still dark, step five feet, now you can see the room. We can call it the "photon lag effect".)

Hjorimir
January 9th, 2022, 10:17
I will give this a try. Thanks, Mike!