PDA

View Full Version : Kaspersky just flagged FantasyGrounds.exe as a security risk

ColinBuckler
January 5th, 2022, 16:02
Kaspersky just flagged FantasyGrounds.exe as a security risk.

PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic

https://threats.kaspersky.com/en/threat/PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic/

Malicious programs of this family are used to destroy, block, modify, or copy data, or to disrupt the performance of computers or networks.

ColinBuckler
January 5th, 2022, 16:13
Update: I can confirm it occurs when I use the /export command

Its just done it again..... :cry:

Moon Wizard
January 5th, 2022, 20:38
The /export command only brings up a window in the UI.

Are you talking about when you press the Export button in the Export window? If so, then FG will copy linked image/token files and build an XML file, into a .mod file in your modules directory.

This is the only report I’ve heard on this issue; so not sure why Kapersky is flagging. You can try deleting FantasyGrounds.exe, and running updater manually to restore to see if that helps.

Otherwise, it may be a false positive scenario.

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
March 12th, 2024, 02:38
Just happened to me while in game. Computer completely bricked by the looks of it. :(

Mike Serfass
March 12th, 2024, 21:11
That happens to me semi-regularly too.
I have to explicitly tell Kaspersky (again) that all the FGU exes are safe, then remove files from quarantine.
Also, I back up everything before every big update. You sometimes don't know if it's a big update before clicking the button, so I usually check the release forum before clicking it so I know to do a full backup.
It also sometimes happens when I click the export button. Kaspersky eats files in that case, so backups save me lots of work.
I don't know why Kaspersky triggers on FGU like that.

claedawg
March 20th, 2024, 14:28
That happens to me semi-regularly too.
I have to explicitly tell Kaspersky (again) that all the FGU exes are safe, then remove files from quarantine.
Also, I back up everything before every big update. You sometimes don't know if it's a big update before clicking the button, so I usually check the release forum before clicking it so I know to do a full backup.
It also sometimes happens when I click the export button. Kaspersky eats files in that case, so backups save me lots of work.
I don't know why Kaspersky triggers on FGU like that.

I'm not sure why people still use that anti-virus program. It does that to a lot of programs. I had customers with this problem using a tax software I did support for and the only fix was to uninstall Kaspersky and use a different anti-virus (white listing did not fix the issue). That was during the dark days of Kaspersky when a certain political/military power basically hijacked Kaspersky for espionage purposes.