PDA

View Full Version : ARMOR effect condition does not apply correctly?

davidmbeach
January 4th, 2022, 00:07
Hi all

New to FG, trying to understand how to get a +1 bonus to AC whenever I'm wearing any armor (yes, it is the Defense fighting style, but I'd like to try to figure out how to make an effect for it, not apply it always and/or manually).

I have Chain Mail equipped in my Inventory (and I've confirmed that it's being applied to my AC). I've tried many different combinations such as below...no matter what I put as the armor type, it always adds the bonus:

IF: ARMOR (Chain Mail); AC: 2
IF: ARMOR (chain); AC: 2
IF: ARMOR (plate); AC: 2

I'm testing it in the combat tracker. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
January 4th, 2022, 00:39
Welcome!

What makes you think ARMOR is a conditional that can be tested for?

Second, that answer to your question is going to depend upon what ruleset you are using. In D&D 5E their is no ARMOR that can be tested for. Their are a few ways to get something similar in that ruleset, but need to know what ruleset you want this for.

Zacchaeus
January 4th, 2022, 00:42
The effect you want is AC:1. See the wiki here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation#Effect-Targeting

And this series of video https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

davidmbeach
January 4th, 2022, 02:00
Agreed. I had the wrong number. But I was more concerned that the conditional wasn't working (ARMOR).

davidmbeach
January 4th, 2022, 02:21
LordEntrails: Indeed, I googled 'FG Effects reference' and was looking at a 2e ruleset table. My apologies for wasting everyone's time :)

(I assume you are the same LordEntrails from FG subreddit...?)

Aside: While I was clicking around through modules, etc., I notice that there are no hyperlinks in the text. I seem to recall that highlighted text allowed you to jump around in FG within modules and other objects. Is this in Classic only?

Zacchaeus
January 4th, 2022, 02:23
Armour isn’t a condition. See the wiki on IF and IFT. You can only test for conditions (such as poisoned, stunned etc) or conditional operators such as ALIGN or SIZE.

Zacchaeus
January 4th, 2022, 02:26
LordEntrails: Indeed, I googled 'FG Effects reference' and was looking at a 2e ruleset table. My apologies for wasting everyone's time :)

(I assume you are the same LordEntrails from FG subreddit...?)

Aside: While I was clicking around through modules, etc., I notice that there are no hyperlinks in the text. I seem to recall that highlighted text allowed you to jump around in FG within modules and other objects. Is this in Classic only?
The only way to jump around in FG modules is via links. Highlighted text is generally only found in NPC actions tabs allowing for things like attack and damage roll. There has never been a way to link things with highlighted text in a module.

BronzeDodger
January 4th, 2022, 14:52
In case this is of any use: when we have variable armor (simplest is just someone typically with a shield equipped, but may be in-town with no armor) I setup two effects on the player's character sheet so they can one-click alter their AC w/o the DM needing to do it or needing to alter the character sheet to have the correct AC. It's via the "5E Player Effect Removal Extension" (under the 5E forum). While I think you can do it directly by keying effects into the combat tracker, having it on buttons makes it simpler. It upside-down in that the default is correct (with the ability I think the AC will be calculated correctly, it's only when it doesn't apply that you need to alter something, and thus apply a negative with "AC: -1") with the second button simply removing the -1 effect.

LordEntrails
January 4th, 2022, 15:28
As you've seen, different rulesets have different capabilities. Hence my questions :)