PDA

View Full Version : Issues with FG2 and the new SRD upgrade

azhrei331
September 11th, 2007, 09:30
so i get back to FG after a long hiatus of live play and find FG2 finally released.

1. i download everything and run the program. so far so good. i try to create a new campaign, other than Tale of Dinor, and none of the reference materials show up in the library. i bring up the campaign folder and find the "campaign registry" and "modulestate" files are empty. so i copy the files from Tale of Dinor into the new campaign folder and it works ok. i'm guessing that FG2, upgraded to be a bit more user-friendly, is not supposed to require that much work to create a new campaign. any thoughts from the gallery?

2. i'm interested to see the changes to the ruleset source codes and find a huge mess compared to FG1. i'm sure they make for a better program, so i can deal. but i go to check out what it'll take to adjust the reference material and possibly add new stuff, and i see everything in the .mod file designation, which my computer reads as an mpeg file! since i cannot read it in an xml editor, is there some way to read the code for an .mod?

3. i just purchased and downloaded the new SRD upgrade for FG2. as a result of problem #1 above, i had to manually add and adjust the CSRD files in the campaign registry and modulestate files. however, nothing i try will let FG2 read the SRD modules in any of the campaigns. i have a feeling that this problem is tied to #1, but am at a loss as to how to correct it.

i am extremely frustrated with these problems, as they were not this many for me with FG1. the situation is compounded by the fact that i seem to be the only person experiencing these issues. i have uninstalled and reinstalled all the components 3 times, always with the same results. i could really use a hand here guys!

thanks in advance!

Oberoten
September 11th, 2007, 09:40
so i get back to FG after a long hiatus of live play and find FG2 finally released.

1. i download everything and run the program. so far so good. i try to create a new campaign, other than Tale of Dinor, and none of the reference materials show up in the library. i bring up the campaign folder and find the "campaign registry" and "modulestate" files are empty. so i copy the files from Tale of Dinor into the new campaign folder and it works ok. i'm guessing that FG2, upgraded to be a bit more user-friendly, is not supposed to require that much work to create a new campaign. any thoughts from the gallery?

All rulebooks, monsters etc are now modules and needs to be activated. This is done by going into the module window. (Third stone button from the top, looks like a book), there you open the books by click-dragging on the book covers so they fall open.

Modules should now be visible.

2. i'm interested to see the changes to the ruleset source codes and find a huge mess compared to FG1. i'm sure they make for a better program, so i can deal. but i go to check out what it'll take to adjust the reference material and possibly add new stuff, and i see everything in the .mod file designation, which my computer reads as an mpeg file! since i cannot read it in an xml editor, is there some way to read the code for an .mod?

The Mod files are actually Winzip archives. Open them with winzip or better, yet associate them to Winrar.

3. i just purchased and downloaded the new SRD upgrade for FG2. as a result of problem #1 above, i had to manually add and adjust the CSRD files in the campaign registry and modulestate files. however, nothing i try will let FG2 read the SRD modules in any of the campaigns. i have a feeling that this problem is tied to #1, but am at a loss as to how to correct it.

i am extremely frustrated with these problems, as they were not this many for me with FG1. the situation is compounded by the fact that i seem to be the only person experiencing these issues. i have uninstalled and reinstalled all the components 3 times, always with the same results. i could really use a hand here guys!

thanks in advance!

Se answer number one I think. :)
Best of luck.

- Obe

sloejack
September 11th, 2007, 12:49
Just a couple of quick thoughts. As Oberton mentioned, make sure that you have opened the modules to the library for your new campaign. You shouldn't have to copy anything from another campaign. I think you're third item is probably related to the first. If the CSRD .mod files are located in your modules directory then you should be able to manage them from the modules interface to make them visibile in your library. A thought just occured to me that since you're coming from a 1.05 perspective, the modules directory is not in c:\program files\fantasy grounds II\modules. If you're using vista it's in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II. It's someplace similar on XP but since I don't have it installed I can't say for sure where, I'm thinking like c:\documents and settings\yourusername\appdata\fantasy grounds II\.

For your second item, it's worth pointing out that the 'ruleset' is different than what you'll see in the modules. The modules are just rulebook and adventure data. If you want to see how the d20 ruleset has changed you'll need to go to the FG2 install directory in Program Files and run the d20unpak command. This will unpack the d20 ruleset into your appdata folder under examples\d20\

azhrei331
September 11th, 2007, 23:25
#1 and #3 fixed after the fart in my brain was expelled. i knew about loading my modules before, but seem to have forgotten about the existence of the buttons in the top right corner.

#2 was understood and implemented.

thank you both for the help!