PDA

View Full Version : New user, bought Humble bundle. Should I redeem via Steam or Fantasy Grounds ?

Tiago Matos
January 1st, 2022, 12:52
I'm new both to Fantasy Grounds and pen & paper RPGs. I bought the current bundle on Humble Bundle.

It asks me if want to "redeem via Steam or Fantasy Grounds". I don't know what to pick.

I have a Steam account. I don't own Fantasy Grounds Unity on Steam. (But I do know that if I choose to redeem on Steam I must already own Fantasy Grounds Unity on Steam.)

What are the pros and cons of both choices?

(I don't know if it's relevant but I'm in Europe. Not sure if this affects pricing on Steam. There, FFU currently costs 25,49€ for me and the Ultimate License DLC costs me 76,71€. That's US$ 116,24. I know I have a 3 month "demo" but I want to use the current sale price unless you tell me I'll probably be able to get the same prices later. Not really interested in the Standard license but you can change my mind...)

Topdecker
January 1st, 2022, 13:28
I personally prefer using the FG store. You have a better suite of tools that show what you purchased and when. I also don't think that Steam needs a cut of the profits - it is better going to Smite and their licensees.

ddavison
January 1st, 2022, 15:57
Steam won't let you redeem any of the DLC unless you also own the base application for Fantasy Grounds Unity. You would have to buy at least the Standard version on Steam. If you redeem through the FG store, you will get a 3-month license that you can use. This means your DLC is immediately available. Eventually, you will either continue the monthly subscription or buy a 1-time license on either Steam or on this site. If you buy on our site, we periodically send those keys over to Valve for activation and then you will be able to add it to your Steam collection as well. For this reason, we recommend choosing the Fantasy Grounds Site option unless you know that you plan to buy the Standard license on Steam.

Klandare
January 1st, 2022, 17:52
Steam won't let you redeem any of the DLC unless you also own the base application for Fantasy Grounds Unity. You would have to buy at least the Standard version on Steam. If you redeem through the FG store, you will get a 3-month license that you can use. This means your DLC is immediately available. Eventually, you will either continue the monthly subscription or buy a 1-time license on either Steam or on this site. If you buy on our site, we periodically send those keys over to Valve for activation and then you will be able to add it to your Steam collection as well. For this reason, we recommend choosing the Fantasy Grounds Site option unless you know that you plan to buy the Standard license on Steam.

On Steam you can enter games (programs) you already own which enables you to input the license you already have for FGU into the system and then it thinks you own it the same as if you purchased on Steam.

Saying that; if you have not bought anything for FG on Steam than I would recommend doing it all through the FG Store as others mentioned as then Smiteworks gets all the profits from the items without Steam getting a cut.

ddavison
January 1st, 2022, 20:48
I think you are referring to Retail Activation and those keys are manually sent over by us and then manually processed by someone over at Steam. These do not include subscription licenses, so I am unaware of any other way to have it registered outside of this process.

damned
January 1st, 2022, 23:30
Hi Doug - I think they do include Subscriptions? Or at least I think they used to...

ddavison
January 2nd, 2022, 04:02
No. They have not included subscriptions for FGU. They did for Classic, but it was a problem that made it cheaper to get a sub, register it, and then upgrade to Ultimate. As a result, we decided not to allow it for FGU.

damned
January 2nd, 2022, 04:06
That makes sense. Thanks Doug.

Pankot
January 3rd, 2022, 04:42
I use Steam simply because I always get Steam cards as gifts which makes it much easier for me to buy all the DLC I want.

Jiminimonka
January 3rd, 2022, 09:50
I'm new both to Fantasy Grounds and pen & paper RPGs. I bought the current bundle on Humble Bundle.

It asks me if want to "redeem via Steam or Fantasy Grounds". I don't know what to pick.

I have a Steam account. I don't own Fantasy Grounds Unity on Steam. (But I do know that if I choose to redeem on Steam I must already own Fantasy Grounds Unity on Steam.)

What are the pros and cons of both choices?

(I don't know if it's relevant but I'm in Europe. Not sure if this affects pricing on Steam. There, FFU currently costs 25,49€ for me and the Ultimate License DLC costs me 76,71€. That's US$ 116,24. I know I have a 3 month "demo" but I want to use the current sale price unless you tell me I'll probably be able to get the same prices later. Not really interested in the Standard license but you can change my mind...)

Redeem the Humble Bundle on FG then link your Steam account for the future..

damned
January 3rd, 2022, 11:14
Redeem the Humble Bundle on FG then link your Steam account for the future..

If you ever want to complete the bundle then redeem on the store that you want to continue with.