PDA

View Full Version : Skype and Tuneup

richvalle
September 10th, 2007, 14:35
Has anyone tried to use Tuneup to play music sounds though Skype?

https://www.tunesup.net/

I tested it over the weekend and while I could hear the music on my side my co-tester could not. Even after she installed Tuneup as well.

Just wondering if it was something we did wrong... though the software seemed pretty easy to use.

rv

Mellock
September 10th, 2007, 16:06
Heya richvalle: I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I did find vEmotion on the web. It should do the job.

If you want, and I'm online, you can just shoot me a pm and I'll try to stream you some music with it :)

Edit: my skype is ingurlain.mellock actually. You can just see if I'm there :)

richvalle
September 10th, 2007, 16:43
Hey, thanks Mellock. I'm at work right now so can't test. I'll try to hook up with you later.

I'll check out vEmotion as well.

Thanks!

rv

maartenlogghe
September 18th, 2007, 09:47
Has anyone tried to use Tuneup to play music sounds though Skype?

https://www.tunesup.net/

I tested it over the weekend and while I could hear the music on my side my co-tester could not. Even after she installed Tuneup as well.

Just wondering if it was something we did wrong... though the software seemed pretty easy to use.

rv

Perhaps you forgot to push the 'ON AIR' button on the tunesup panel?
I've used it too recently and it worked fine though it crashed sometimes. It's definately not necessary for everyone to have tunesup installed. Just one person who broadcasts the sound is enough.

cheers,
maarten

richvalle
September 18th, 2007, 14:31
My 'On Air' button was flashing red. If I hit it Tuneup crashed.

The other person I was testing with also installed it but I couldn't hear music from her side either.

Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be. :)

rv

Mellock
September 18th, 2007, 14:37
Did you have a chance to try vEmotion?

richvalle
September 18th, 2007, 16:19
Umm, no not yet. Kinda forgot about it!

Thanks for reminding me.

:)

rv

maartenlogghe
September 18th, 2007, 16:58
My 'On Air' button was flashing red. If I hit it Tuneup crashed.

The other person I was testing with also installed it but I couldn't hear music from her side either.

Oh well. I guess it wasn't meant to be. :)

rv

Yeah the thing is still in beta. My friend had the same problem you had. When he hit the 'On Air' button it crashed. But he could hear the sound when I used the TunesUp.

Anyway, I haven't really used TunesUp during a Voice Chat FG game so if it's not stable enough I'll look into vEmotion too.

cheers,
maarten

cheers,
maarten

Tokuriku
September 20th, 2007, 02:55
You know you can shoot music trough Skype directly right?

richvalle
September 20th, 2007, 13:41
Ummmm, no. Else we wouldn't be talking about Tuneup. :)

How so ol' wise one?

rv

Tokuriku
September 20th, 2007, 23:21
Here is my setup, seems hard to pull off but if you go at it step by step (wich once setup will beome 1 step) then it goes smoothly.
* will denote the steps :)

* First get yourself "Virtual Audio Cable". I don't care how but find this piece of software.
* Install it and run the "Control Panel". In there, put the number of cables to 2 and then hit "restart". You now have 2 more sound cards!

What this software does is give you virtual sound cards :) No sound will come out of these for you to hear unless you plug them to an output device (like skype).

* Open your skyoe instance normally and then open a NEW skype instance as another user. By user I mean a computer user, not a skype username. When you start your computer, if there are many users, you have to choose one to get to the software applications, that kind of user. To do this, simply be sure that your computer has more then 1 user, then right click the skype icon and choose "open as another user". Choose the other computer user and voilà, a new skype instance.

* Make an new skype acount for this skype instance (I called it music_something).
* In the sound settings of this "other user's skype instance" put the input to "cable 1" instead of the standard microsoft thingy (cuz yes, every skype instance can have it's own settings not like ventrilo).
* Int the sound settings, also put the output to cable 2 (just to make sure you don't hear 2 times the same stuff over skype)

* Last but not least, if your music program is media player for example, go to the sound settings and make sure the sound is puched trough "cable 1" instead of your physical sound card. You should now not be able to hear the music UNLESS the 2 skype instances are connected in some way.

This way of setting it may seem farfetched for simply putting music on skype, but I use the cables for other stuff and you can just disconnect the "music" skype client if the lag becomes too big. Other then that, If you are not the host of the skype connection, you will hear what the others hear with their lag and volume, a definate plus.

All these steps become 1 really after the initial setup. Open the music skype client from the other computer user and... play. Oh yeah, maybe turn back and forth the media palyer sound card setting to use it normally after a game session.

Mellock
September 21st, 2007, 05:07
Heh, I had read about virtual audio cable, which is why I wanted vEmotion in the first place:
-install vEmotion
-start vEmotion
-select music file
-press play.

Tokuriku
September 21st, 2007, 09:09
Thing is, I use it for RPG Sound Mixer...
That's why I need a little bit more freedom.
Correct me if I'm wrong but VEmotion uses sounds or music you load into it right?

Mellock
September 21st, 2007, 14:50
Well, not really loading... It's more like a playlist of files or directories you make. Then you just click on the one you want to play. There's different tabs for the soundbites and music.

How does rpg soundmixer work? I tried it once, but found it a little too much for me... It was made to kind of create a constant background of ambient soundbites like "howling wind, then rain, then a wolf in the background, let go of the wolf, keep the wind, stop the rain, then cue the footsteps", no?

Tokuriku
September 22nd, 2007, 00:08
I must say I'm still in the test and try phase... like I was with CC3 a while back (wich I'm now into deeply). I didn't like CC3 cuz it was counter intuitive, so is RPG Soundmixer in my opinion.

First thing I did is rip all the sounds from NWN :D
These are first class sound recordings and are much better then the stuff provided by the software itself. In all over 6000 sounds :D

What I did next is take 1 mode (0) and use it for musics like:
- Nice
- Combat
- Eery
- Tavern
Snce these are from the file playlists as sound events, they dont affect the othe modes if these are sound banks :)

Next, I used another mode (1) for ambiants.
NWN has a bundle of ambiants that couple a number of sounds together wich are seemless when looped. I prefer to use this as a background sound. I made different events for:
- Plains
- Forest
- River
- Town
- Tavern
- Castle
- Rain
- Storm
Etc...

This way I can mix any kind of music with any kind of ambiant.
I don't use the more sonoric sound effects as sections yet since we use voip to communicate, people find it gets in the way but at a table top or to put emphasis on one story element, sure. The ambiant serves VERY well to put everyone in the mood, that I can assure you. If you ever want to hear my setup, let's arrange a time :)