PDA

View Full Version : 5E Sustenance Tracker

mattekure
December 29th, 2021, 19:24
Available on the Forge : https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/428/view

This 5E extension allows the DM and Players to track eating/drinking as it relates to the Starvation and Dehydration rules from the Players Handbook. These rules are primarily followed when PCs are traveling and do not have ready access to sources of food/water.

On the character sheet Actions tab, a new section has been added with fields to indicate the total food carried, and players can elect to eat and drink using the +- buttons added. Eating and Drinking is tracked in 0.5 lbs increments.

When a long rest is pushed, the amount eaten and drunk is deducted from the amount carried, and a message is output to the chat indicating any potential effects that may need to be applied. An option has been added to turn off the tracking when PCs are in town or a location with easy access to food/water.

This extension does not attempt to track food/water which are items in the inventory. It also does not automatically add exhaustion effects to the Combat Tracker.

Tracked Rules:
Food

PCs need one pound of food per day
PCs can make food last longer by eating half as much, which counts as half a day without eating
PCs can go 3 + Constitution modifier days without food, after which doing a day without eating causes an automatic level of exhaustion
A normal day of eating resets the count of days without food to zero

Water

PCs need one gallon of water per day two if the weather is hot
PCs that drink only half the required amount must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or suffer a level of exhaustion each day
PCs that drink less than half automatically suffer a level of exhaustion
If the character already has one or more levels of exhaustion, the character takes two levels in either case.

https://i.imgur.com/FAwJ3ea.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/w1dlOyC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/57konzN.jpg

DrakePD
December 29th, 2021, 21:00
This will be handy for a new homebrew campaign I got cooking. Its a City Siege. Nice!!

lokioftheroses
December 31st, 2021, 00:06
Buy it and it's doens't work

mattekure
December 31st, 2021, 00:08
Buy it and it's doens't work

could you be a little more specific? What doesnt work? Do you have it downloaded and enabled for your campaign? tried to push a long rest?

SashaJace
March 16th, 2022, 02:25
Hi mattekure

Just picked this up - figured it'd be super handy for Tomb of Annihilation.
Loaded it up, trackers on the action tab are great and seem to work fine.

But when I call for a long rest, I'm not getting any messages about the effects, it's not resetting how much food has been eaten, anything like that.
I'm seeing the same behavior with no other extensions loaded. Double checked that it's turned on in options.
Tried it with character in/out of combat tracker in/out of party sheet. Seeing the same thing in all cases.

What am I missing?

mattekure
March 16th, 2022, 14:00
Hi mattekure

Just picked this up - figured it'd be super handy for Tomb of Annihilation.
Loaded it up, trackers on the action tab are great and seem to work fine.

But when I call for a long rest, I'm not getting any messages about the effects, it's not resetting how much food has been eaten, anything like that.
I'm seeing the same behavior with no other extensions loaded. Double checked that it's turned on in options.
Tried it with character in/out of combat tracker in/out of party sheet. Seeing the same thing in all cases.

What am I missing?

v1.1 should fix this later today. Added support for long rest via the charsheet in addition to the combat tracker.

scoot138
June 12th, 2022, 08:40
Any way to allow disabling the reset to 0 of food eaten and water drank? Would be a great addition if it were possible to add :) please?

mattekure
June 12th, 2022, 22:41
Any way to allow disabling the reset to 0 of food eaten and water drank? Would be a great addition if it were possible to add :) please?

Done. once you update, you now have 2 checkboxes to ignore either food or water consumption.

scoot138
June 13th, 2022, 02:09
Very nice, mattekure, your a rockstar! Don't hate me for this next one :P
Can the value that's input into gallons drank and lbs eaten stay at the last value, for example 1, so when after a long rest the player would not need to add 1 to that field each day?
Looking at how changing the value of the consumed field changes the carried field this may not be something that's possible since its not the long rest action that's triggering the change of the carried supply. If that's the case than my players can just deal with clicking the pluses :)

Appreciate the support and extra work!

mattekure
June 13th, 2022, 18:49
Very nice, mattekure, your a rockstar! Don't hate me for this next one :P
Can the value that's input into gallons drank and lbs eaten stay at the last value, for example 1, so when after a long rest the player would not need to add 1 to that field each day?
Looking at how changing the value of the consumed field changes the carried field this may not be something that's possible since its not the long rest action that's triggering the change of the carried supply. If that's the case than my players can just deal with clicking the pluses :)

Appreciate the support and extra work!

Good idea. Next update will have that. The lbs food eaten and gallons water drank values will not change. It will deduct from the carried totals upon a long rest.

scoot138
June 14th, 2022, 02:56
Wow!! I cant thank you enough!

thedruski
October 9th, 2023, 19:38
This is a wonderful extension! Thank you so much!

I do have a question/request? Is there any chance we could be given the option to alter how much food or water a character needs per day? Or by size? For example, I'm running a Dark Sun campaign and the water requirements there are twice the normal amount. I'd love to be able to alter the default numbers if that is possible.

Either way, thanks for this! Extremely useful :)

mattekure
October 13th, 2023, 16:17
This is a wonderful extension! Thank you so much!

I do have a question/request? Is there any chance we could be given the option to alter how much food or water a character needs per day? Or by size? For example, I'm running a Dark Sun campaign and the water requirements there are twice the normal amount. I'd love to be able to alter the default numbers if that is possible.

Either way, thanks for this! Extremely useful :)

Hmm, there isnt a way currently. I will have to think of a way to implement this that makes sense.