PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to import NPCs? [or advice on Fantasy Module Parser and Engineer Suite]

Xenolith2
December 27th, 2021, 04:32
Under false impression Fantasy Grounds held custom NPC data server side I made a newbie mistake. Completely wiped clean 40 hrs of programmed NPCs, line of sight data, custom items, treasure parcels, room encounters for a mega dungeon after I completely wiped hard drive clean and donated old laptop. FML.

Been experimenting with Engineer Suite and Fantasy Module Parser but cannot get them to load into Fantasy Grounds Unity. Also, they seem to produce a .npc or a .json file that cannot be directly imported (only .xml). Tried online convert .json to .xml conversion and got some root node error and it wouldn't do it.

Can anyone provide some advice or let me know fastest way to import NPCs? (Other than hand programming them...which I did the first time...which I then deleted.......which then resulted in me saying FML.)

LordEntrails
December 27th, 2021, 04:42
Engineer Suite is no longer supported and is obsolete. I thought Fantasy Module Parser was in use and supported but have not used it myself. I believe they have a Discord server for questions and support on it. The thread or location you got the link for FMP should have more info and probably would be the best place to as, since that is where those developers will be paying attention.

Xenolith2
December 27th, 2021, 04:53
Thank you kindly. Will post over there as well.

Ludd_G
December 27th, 2021, 17:02
Not sure if this may be helpful in your situation:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/330579/Fantasy-Grounds-NPC-Maker-5E?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0

Cheers,

Simon

damned
December 27th, 2021, 21:45
Ouch. Losing 40hrs for any reason hurts.
For next time, I periodically zip up my custom FG material, datestamp it, and drop it into OneDrive.

Nylanfs
December 28th, 2021, 01:39
What game system? PCGen creates importable pc's (although not base level NPC's) for 35e, and Pathfinder.

Battlemarch
December 28th, 2021, 04:07
You didn't mention which rules set you are using, but Fantasy Module Parser is for 5e, you can ask your questions about it here: https://discord.com/channels/270273013885173760/

Xenolith2
December 29th, 2021, 04:17
I will most certainly consider this option! Thank you Simon! You're a legend!!

Not sure if this may be helpful in your situation:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/330579/Fantasy-Grounds-NPC-Maker-5E?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0

Cheers,

Simon

Xenolith2
December 29th, 2021, 04:19
D&D 5E Nylanfs. Downloading and will give it a shot right now. You too are a legend! Thank you!

Xenolith2
December 29th, 2021, 04:21
Thank you Battle. I think I left a message over there but will use your link to verify I dropped it in proper place. Appreciate you!

Xenolith2
December 29th, 2021, 04:23
I know...right Damned? First time I lose data and of course it's a MEGA DUNGEON!?!? But boy will I periodically save across different computers and on the cloud. Lesson learned and your advice is appreciated. Bunch of legends in here! Thank you.