PDA

View Full Version : How to write complex multiple attacks that FG can recognise

phantomwhale
September 9th, 2007, 12:49
I am trying to modify a Marilith to create one with magical swords, rather than the basic weaponry, and have hit a little problem.

Firstly, the full attack of a Marilith is:
Primary longsword +25/+20/+15/+10 melee (2d6+9/19-20) and 5 longswords +25 melee (2d6+4/19-20) and tail slap +22 melee (4d6+4)

Which works - drag that onto the chat window and 10 d20's follow you, rolling the deadly full round attack of this multi-armed monster. Now I want to add a +2 Anarchic longsword (+2d6 damage vrs lawful creatures) and 5 +1 longswords. I have got a far as:

+2 Anarchic longsword +27/+22/+17/+12 melee (2d6+11/19-20 plus 2d6 vrs lawful) and 5 +1 longswords +26 melee (2d6+5/19-20) and tail slap +22 melee (4d6+4)

Which has two issues for me. Firstly there is no way of dragging the anarchic damage - it always rolls 2d6+11. I am kind of convinced that there is no way of dragging that bonus 2d6 damage, so I am happy to roll 2d6 on the side and do that - no worries. Would be cool in the future to drag form the main damage listing to do 2d6+11 or drag from the plus damange to do 4d6+11 though :)

The other issue is where to write that pesky "+1" for the +1 longswords. Wherever it goes, FG seems unable to parse that it is 5 attacks, and instead rolls just one attack with a "+1 longswords". Without the +1, it correctly rolls 5 attacks with a "longswords". So it clearly does recognise the +1 as being part of the weapon name, but that +1 means it ignores the number 5 ?

The +# part of a weapon name seems to have to go at the start, so I cannot think of a better way of writing the name. So in the case I would say the parsing algorithmn may need to be improved to allow mulitple magic weapon attacks to be written in the same way as standard weapons ?

Until then, I'll be attacking with my slight more verbose "plus one longswords"

Ben

richvalle
September 9th, 2007, 14:56
Hmmm, that seems like a tough one. I can't get it to work either.

2 ideas... 1 is just bump up the 5 other attacks by one and you'll know the are magical. 2 is too write out all the other attacks... so first the primary ones and then +1 longsword blah blah and +1 longsword blah blah and +1 longsword... ect.

Personally I'd do the first one because I'm lazy. :)

Good luck

rv

Griogre
September 9th, 2007, 17:55
The real problem is the Anarchic Damage. There not "an or" for damage. As for the attack with Anarchic Damage here is the full dice code:
[+2 Anarchic] longsword +27/+22/+17/+12 (2d6+2d6+9/19-20) and [+1] longsword +26/+26/+26/+26/+26 (2d6+5/19-20) and Tail Slap + 22 (4d6+4)

If for some reason you actually want to show the players what the weapons are take out the brackets. I always use the Marilith as a base when I make tricky die codes. The damage is a problem because you either have to put it all in or not. If the characters are not all lawful then you should probably leave it out. I have not been able to figure out how, and it may not be possible to anotate something like 2 [+2] longwords. The parser does not like it. That is why I went to the /'s. Maybe someone else can offer an insight.

Note you could write the damage this way and it will parse but not work correctly: (2d6+9 plus 2d6) But it will remind you.