PDA

View Full Version : LFP for D&D 5e for KP’s Midgard

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 05:37
FG License: FGU - I have Ultimate License
Game System: D&D 5e

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Thursday nights, 7:00-10:00 pm (EST)
If new game, planned start date: Open to discussion
Planned Duration & Frequency: Every week
Term: Ongoing. This will be a long-term campaign

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: Depends on what you murder hobos like to do
Number of Players in game & needed: Five
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1 w/ background starting equipment.
Character restrictions: Anything in the Midgard Heroes Handbook (https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/midgard-heroes-handbook-fantasy-grounds-license-key/)and, when it doesn’t conflict with the above, the core WotC 5e rule books. But … no more than three distinct races in the party.

So let’s jump into the dark, gritty, yet glorious world of Midgard (https://koboldpress.com/midgard/), as published by Kobold Press (https://koboldpress.com). There are so many compelling campaigns that one might launch here, I’m left conflicted! So you (collectively) get to make your own adventure. Here are your choices:

1. We start in the Wasted West (https://koboldpress.com/midgard-wasted-west/) and, after one mind-blowing campaign start, you get the sandbox.

2. We start in Zobeck (the crossroads (https://koboldpress.com/midgard-crossroads/) of Midgard), and move from gritty urban adventure to gritty urban adventure. While you will have ample opportunity to direct the campaign in whatever direction you like, if you leave things on autopilot and passively follow my leads, you’ll likely find yourselves in the courts of the shadow-fey (https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/courts-of-the-shadow-fey-fantasy-grounds-license-key/).

3. We start (again) in Zobeck, but in this case, you’re signing-on to a campaign arc; a dark and bloody fight against the empire of the ghouls (https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/empire-of-the-ghouls-for-5th-edition/)!

The party gets to vote. I’m looking for experienced players who are solid with FGU. You’re getting an experienced DM who is still on an FGU learning curve.

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 07:39
Sounds awesome! Big fan of KP. I'm a Patreon member and have physical and FG copies of the Midgard Heroes' Handbook and the Margreve Player's Guide. I've been playing D&D for over 30 years and using FG for several. Options 1 and 3 both sound quite good and I'm willing to play most anything the party needs.

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 08:51
Sounds awesome! Big fan of KP. I'm a Patreon member and have physical and FG copies of the Midgard Heroes' Handbook and the Margreve Player's Guide. I've been playing D&D for over 30 years and using FG for several. Options 1 and 3 both sound quite good and I'm willing to play most anything the party needs.

Excellent. You’re in! Four more to go.

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 09:58
So how do you feel about a Margreve campaign? I have that source material as well, but am unsure.

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 12:44
... this looks quite interesting... I haven't delved into this world-source supplement but as long as you're familiar with it, it'll be a journey of discovery for the rest of us!! Therefore, of the options to start, I'll go with whatever is the consensus... adventure is adventure! :o)

I'm in the Caribbean, so right now I'm an hour ahead of EST (we don't do daylight savings time).

I've played and DM'd for... a long time. I played 5e for a period when it came out but have been void of TT games for way too long now and have been refreshing myself with the details. I have an ultimate license on FGU so no worries there, easy-peasy. (been planning to put together a campaign as some point, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.)

I see Midgard online, so I could get Midgard Heroes handbook you linked to research, and put a character together. I do see the Margreve player's guide that Phithis mentioned. There also seems to be an expansion in FGU with Midgard Heroes with some add'l options?

In any case, I'd be very interested, have evenings free, and certainly interested in a game with some committed players.

I have used Discord on occasion... I'm "kahu#3205"...

Would we need to connect to your FGU session in order to draft up characters from the the source materials you're sharing or I could do it 'offline' if I had the books mentioned above loaded on my end? I'm kind of assuming we won't need the Worldbook, since you'll be telling us what we need to know relating to the big picture? I'm not independently wealthy but i don't mind purchasing materials so I can read and research as much as I can. 8^)

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 14:34
So how do you feel about a Margreve campaign? I have that source material as well, but am unsure.

I really like it. Absolutely love the bearfolk and may definitely play one, but no reason Margreve characters wouldn't fit in with your original three options. I've heard good things about the undead campaign especially.

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 14:37
I build them offline and import them quite a bit, but you can do it on the dm's server and use their books just as easily.

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 15:49
… Do we want to discuss this here or in discord channel or what? Do you have any prefs so far for race/class/etc., or anything to stay away from??? I know Phithis is interested in Wasted West or Ghouls… what helps us? 8^)

Merry_Mayhem
December 21st, 2021, 15:57
So looking that over and I am interested. Been playing D&D on and off since the 70s and familiar with FGU but no expert. I am thinking Dhampir Rogue with Dhampir of Morgau background and I like option 3 then 2 as campaign ideas. I am person who like a mix of roleplaying and combat and overall a team player interested in have a good time and telling group story.

I see Schattendieb Von Dunkleseele (his friends call him Dieb ) as a charming rogue, pretty much a young rake.

If needed, could play any role, if a Rogue will not fit into the party.

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 17:08
Well, I would want to play a fighter/bard multi using sword-dancer for the fighter sub-class eventually adding bard (unsure of sub-class there yet). Could easily build to be a frontliner or striker. Not sure on race. Maybe a harengon if allowed?

rbuckner1
December 21st, 2021, 17:31
I would’ve down for this if you still have a slot, benn playing using fg for 2 years or so would be downs for any class or role.
Tycho

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 17:43
... So that's potentially a Rogue and a Fighter (initially)... Plus mine (if I'm accepted), that's three of five party members. (potentially a fourth just posted/rbuckner1)...

Also, two of a max three different races we're allowed: Dhampir and Harengon...

I'll get to looking over the Midgard HB tonight and try to get some PC idea(s) asap! 8^)

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 17:55
I'm not set on Harengon. I could easily do human, h-elf, or elf with my build I have in mind if it helps on the racial limitations.

Merry_Mayhem
December 21st, 2021, 18:00
If race becomes an issue, Dhampir was more for favor / background. With my idea, any race with dexterity & charisma would work. So if we need to get some overlap, maybe Shadow Fey, I could made that work? Honestly, I could make Human work or any race, if I have too.

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 18:08
We might as well stick with those for now, something to work off of. If we hit the three races, and then someone really wants something else, we can see who can swap out a race then eh? I'm not sure how uncommon some races might be in this setting??

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 18:32
No need to buy source material. I’ve got everything and will share pdfs with the party and, additionally, have everything online on Fantasy Grounds. Likewise, it is unnecessary to have a college degree in all things Midgard. It’s a tremendous campaign setting, but the game is the thing, not the backdrop. You’ll get familiar with Midgard through play.

We’ll schedule a “Session 0” for character creation and preliminary campaign discussion. Ability scores can be generated via the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or via the variant point-buy system.

Let’s keep the discussion here until we have five players committed. Once we have that, we’ll set up a Discord channel for the campaign, settle on campaign options 1, 2, or 3, and then … Session 0.

As of now, we have four players; Phithis, Kahu, Merry Mayhem, and rbuckner1. One to go!

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 18:42
rbuckner1: You have any initial interests on class? I'm gonna look it over tonight and try to come up with something tonight or tom'w at the latest... at least something that we can work off of and move forward... 8^)

rbuckner1
December 21st, 2021, 18:59
Well here’s my list:
Trollkin barb
Human barb if troll kin a no go
Human druid
Human wizard

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 19:29
... wow... just initial reading about Midgard... no race will really stand out as odd, whew! hehe...

So we have three races so far... Dhampir, Harengon, and Trollkin... I'll choose one of those tonight when I'm jotting down more notes. 8^)

For classes we're showing Rogue, Fighter, and Barbarian...

These are just initial choices and nothing locked in yet of course, but something we can definitely work with! I don't see any healing options yet, so I'll keep an eye out for opportunities to turn my PC in that direction in some way. I have a feeling we're gonna need it! 8^O

rbuckner1
December 21st, 2021, 19:43
Hey Kahu,

If your not feeling the heals I can go druid but not my first choice.

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 19:52
So we have three races so far... Dhampir, Harengon, and Trollkin

Alas, there are no herengon in Midgard.

Kahu
December 21st, 2021, 20:13
Alas, there are no herengon in Midgard.

Ah so... Phithis... you going with Human, 1/2 Elf or Elf? Or your beloved Bear? 8^)

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 20:17
Ah so... Phithis... you going with Human, 1/2 Elf or Elf? Or your beloved Bear? 8^)

Not sure. Since we have a barbarian I could also go heals. Maybe, either human or bear druid or cleric? Or, Winterfolk halfling. They are *so* cool ��

Phithis
December 21st, 2021, 21:45
Will we be using Ley lines and Rune Magic?

Jerry Taylor
December 21st, 2021, 22:00
Yes.

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 00:20
Ok, with Rune Magic being a go that helps my decision. I'll be a human caster. Whether a healer or otherwise will depend on what the rest decide on.

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 02:29
Let's see... that brings our three races to: Human, Dhampir, Trollkin

For classes we have: Spell Caster, Rogue, Barbarian, Druid (or Bard?) (plus one more PC)

Four players so far, so we're waiting on one last opening to be filled and then we're off to our new Discord channel to get into the details that will inevitably lead us into our session zero! 8^)

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 02:37
What are you thinking class-wise?

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 02:41
... Druid or Bard... either will give me a couple of 1st level healing spells (one is touch and one is ranged)... Still reading. 8^)

We may be a little soft on hard combat.. just the barbarian.. Rogue can do some damage... the two casters can hold their own at low level with spells and cantrips eh?

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 03:09
Yeah. Up to you whether you want to heal or not. I'm always happy to heal.

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 10:19
depending on workload today, I'll read up some more and settle on one or the other... unless player #5 drops in with one, then I'll choose the other... hehe

You gonna try to pick up the leyline or rune feat?

bgray21
December 22nd, 2021, 10:53
I’d be interested in joining if you still have an opening. I’ve been playing dnd since third edition. I’ve been using fantasy grounds for 3 to 4 years. Also I’ve run a couple of games on fgu as well.

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 11:01
Sweet! So that’s potentially number five. Read thru and let us know what you’d like to bring in. We have a limit on three distinct races and we’re at that point now. Potential class picks are up too, but if you have something particular in mind let us know, and we’ll work on it. ;o)

bgray21
December 22nd, 2021, 11:16
Cool. I was reading the thread and I think I’d pick human for race and either a rogue or fighter for class

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 12:56
Cool. I was reading the thread and I think I’d pick human for race and either a rogue or fighter for class

Cool... we have a Dhampir rogue so far, so that's two rogues (always handy) or the fighter for more combat tenacity! 8^)

As a roster, tentatively that's:

Phithis: Human caster
Merry: Dhampir Rogue
Kahu: Trollkin Druid or Bard (healing)
rbuckner: Trollkin Barbarian
bgray21: Human Rogue or Fighter

It's a good start!!!!

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 13:04
depending on workload today, I'll read up some more and settle on one or the other... unless player #5 drops in with one, then I'll choose the other... hehe

You gonna try to pick up the leyline or rune feat?

I'm thinking Rune.

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 13:52
We’ll schedule a “Session 0” for character creation and preliminary campaign discussion. Ability scores can be generated via the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) or via the variant point-buy system.

Point buy at 27 pts?

Jerry Taylor
December 22nd, 2021, 15:26
Welcome aboard gray 21! Before we set up a Discord channel and schedule session 0, I would like to get a bead on whether the campaign will begin in the Wasted West with subsequent sandbox play (option 1), Zobeck with urban adventures and sandbox play or, perhaps, eventual engagement with the Court of the Shadow-Fey (option 2), or ... Zobeck with an epic campaign arc taking on the Empire of the Ghouls (option 3). From what I can pick up from the discussion thus far, more of you are comfortable with option 3 than anything else.

What say you?

Jerry Taylor
December 22nd, 2021, 15:27
Point buy at 27 pts?

Yes.

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 15:31
Update:

Phithis: Human caster
Merry: Dhampir Rogue
Kahu: Trollkin Bard
rbuckner: Trollkin Barbarian
bgray21: Human Rogue or Fighter

rbuckner1
December 22nd, 2021, 15:36
I vote Option 3

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 15:42
Yeah, given my druthers I'd take option three followed by one I guess.

bgray21
December 22nd, 2021, 16:57
I’m good with option 3. I’d probably play a fighter as well.

Merry_Mayhem
December 22nd, 2021, 18:38
Repeating my preference is option 3 then option 2.

Jerry Taylor
December 22nd, 2021, 22:11
Then option 3 it is!

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 22:52
Alright, time to start a discord it seems.

Jerry Taylor
December 22nd, 2021, 22:54
I'm not super-proficient with Discord. Can someone set that channel up. Call is "Empire of the Ghouls", and send the link around to everyone?

rbuckner1
December 22nd, 2021, 22:57
My discord Handel is :
Tycho(Roger)#5092

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 23:00
https://discord.gg/cbGpyZk4

Discord channel

Kahu
December 22nd, 2021, 23:09
rbuckner1, Phithis, and bGray made it into the channel, so that works correctly so far. 8^)

Phithis
December 22nd, 2021, 23:15
Cool, I'm in

Phithis
December 23rd, 2021, 01:42
Hey stragglers join the discord :P

johnshep
December 25th, 2021, 01:41
I sent you a pm, hoping to join

Jerry Taylor
January 13th, 2022, 23:59
Re-upping. We could use another player. We presently have four active, but with schedule conflicts and such, its best we have five so that we can reliably play weekly on Thursdays. We're on session 2 tonight, so you'll be joining an "Empire of the Ghouls" campaign on session 3 if you want in. Having a ton of fun so far, so if you like Midgard, like the idea of going to battle with the The Dread and Endless Imperium of the Ghouls, then we'd love to have you.