PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon of the Mad Mage lighting

Modu
December 21st, 2021, 01:29
I see that Dungeon of the Mad Mage has been updated with LoS, but seems not with lighting. Will this be updated to include lighting effects at some point? It's such a perfect module for showcasing LoS and lighting effects.

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2021, 09:08
Well I was hoping someone might do it but no takers so far. It's a bit of a task for that one since it's so big and you'd need to read pretty much every room to figure out what, if any, lighting there should be and the maps are black and white which doesn't lend itself to lighting either. I don't have time right now and probably won't until well into next year, but if someone does it in the meantime I'll not be unhappy.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66991-FGU-Sharing-LOS-and-Light-Definitions

The Decepticon
April 8th, 2022, 16:29
Well I was hoping someone might do it but no takers so far. It's a bit of a task for that one since it's so big and you'd need to read pretty much every room to figure out what, if any, lighting there should be and the maps are black and white which doesn't lend itself to lighting either. I don't have time right now and probably won't until well into next year, but if someone does it in the meantime I'll not be unhappy.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66991-FGU-Sharing-LOS-and-Light-Definitions

No takers on this still, I presume? I just bought the sale module and noticed no lighting, kinda of a big bummer...

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2022, 17:27
You probably don't need it since it's all underground and everyone will have some kind of light or darkvision. Also if you are going to be adding lights during the campaign it isn't such a big project since you'll only be doing a bit at a time rather than the whole thing.

The Decepticon
April 8th, 2022, 18:05
You probably don't need it since it's all underground and everyone will have some kind of light or darkvision. Also if you are going to be adding lights during the campaign it isn't such a big project since you'll only be doing a bit at a time rather than the whole thing.

But...but...that's more prep work! I'm kidding, thank you for doing everything you do Zacchaeus, the community appreciates it.

jaydarkson
April 14th, 2022, 05:33
I see that Dungeon of the Mad Mage has been updated with LoS, but seems not with lighting. Will this be updated to include lighting effects at some point? It's such a perfect module for showcasing LoS and lighting effects.

I did a quick scan of the rooms on level 1 before each session adding lights based on the descriptions in addition to spending a couple of hours on one of my off days. My player's however have decided to use light spells which wash out any of the lighting anyways so I'm debating whether to keep doing this as they descended to level 2 tonight. It does remind me that the room has lighting which from describing the room helps.

The Decepticon
January 19th, 2023, 17:22
Alrighty, I have to ask again. Any update on adding lighting to the module? We are starting next week and I have added lights to the first 2 levels. It makes me appreciate everyone who does this to be sure, because going through everything, especially Level 9 looks to be daunting!

EllivasKram
January 19th, 2023, 17:26
My DoTMM has LOS

Have you right clicked the module in modules loaded to refresh it.

But it will loose all your modifications to the module.

EllivasKram
January 19th, 2023, 17:28
Maybe create a new campaign to test the module in the new campaign and make sure it has LOS. You might have turn it on maybe. But not what I’ve noticed.

Ok. Your talking about lighting such as torches and things.

Well as said before. Only floor one I think has anything like a described candle.

Your players need to decide on light spells and or a tor h bearer vs a shield. Although dark vision helps them. My players are at level 10 in the dungeon and use light spells and dark vision now. With the aid of magic spells and or race.

One player throws down his torch and switches to shield in combat.

Trenloe
January 19th, 2023, 17:30
My DoTMM has LOS
The issue is not LoS, but lights - there are a lot of locations that have their own lighting.

Modu
January 19th, 2023, 18:07
The issue is not LoS, but lights - there are a lot of locations that have their own lighting.

They are not going to update it. There's no money in it.

I've added lighting to a few levels but not the whole map yet. I don't know if I'll ever do the entire map, but I suspect it would be something that a more professional map maker could crank out fairly quickly.

It's sad as this module could be a great showcase for FGU with LoS and full lighting. Unfortunately, it just sits there, still being sold incomplete.

The Decepticon
January 19th, 2023, 18:43
They are not going to update it. There's no money in it.

I've added lighting to a few levels but not the whole map yet. I don't know if I'll ever do the entire map, but I suspect it would be something that a more professional map maker could crank out fairly quickly.

It's sad as this module could be a great showcase for FGU with LoS and full lighting. Unfortunately, it just sits there, still being sold incomplete.

This does actually bring up a decent point. I see in the store that it says it has LOS (which it does), but there isn't any indication for any of the modules that they are updated with lighting. Would I have still bought the module? Yes, I would have, but someone else might not if it isn't updated with lighting as that is a huge benefit for FGU. I know no one in this forum can make that change, but it would be nice to see if a module has lighting before purchase.

Zacchaeus
January 19th, 2023, 19:16
As I said in pots #2 above adding lighting to DotMM would be a mammoth task. Each story entry would need to be read to see if there are lights. I did go back and add lighting to most of the WotC products and of course any that have come out since lighting was available have lights. I think DotMM may be the only one left and I've been putting it off every time I think about it.

LordEntrails
January 19th, 2023, 19:23
Someone can always volunteer to do it for all of us... Or at least do it one map at a time :)

jharp
January 19th, 2023, 19:39
I guess someone could create a lighting mod that is in the vault that then places the lighting on a given map. That way a person could get paid to make the lighting.
Jason

The Decepticon
January 19th, 2023, 20:15
As I said in pots #2 above adding lighting to DotMM would be a mammoth task. Each story entry would need to be read to see if there are lights. I did go back and add lighting to most of the WotC products and of course any that have come out since lighting was available have lights. I think DotMM may be the only one left and I've been putting it off every time I think about it.

Zacchaeus, I get it! It is a total pain to do the lighting for the entire module. Hence, why I keep asking!

I was just stating, since this is a fully licensed WotC module, there should be something on the buy page that even though there is line of sight added, there is no lighting, since every other WotC 5E module has lighting added, I do believe.