PDA

View Full Version : 50 px tokens

Nalfien
September 7th, 2007, 02:55
I don't use many tokens other than the ones that mark my PCs at our pen and paper game. Since I use these a lot, I have them at a 50x50 px size. Is that just too large? I'm having a problem when I create on the fly maps. I make a new drawing, set a grid of 50, throw over my 4 players tokens, lock the scale, expand the drawing and draw. The problem I have is that I can't zoom out to the extents of the virtual drawing limits that I have extended.

In addition to that, I sometimes find other images that I can't zoom all the way out on.

I've done some searches on this forum and found a few similar issues and conversations that Dupre has addressed. I didn't want to reply to a post started in 2005, and I'm not clear on what I should do or expect so I made this new thread.

FGII has helped make our tabletop experence so awesome. These small issues aren't too bad, but I hope there is a good solution.

Thanks in advance!

GoOrange
September 7th, 2007, 03:16
The 50x50 token size is fine. I find smaller tokens 50x50 up to 64 x 64 work best. Bigger tokens need a little more re-sizing in FG to make them work well.

The tokens don't affect how far you can zoom out. I've found that for whatever reason, you can only zoom out so far on images. Most big maps I use won't fit completely in the FG window, meaning that no matter how far I zoom out, I still won't be able to see the whole thing. I don't know why this is, but that's the way the program works.

There was a thread somewhere about how to alter the ruleset to allow bigger image windows, but I can't find it at the moment.

Griogre
September 7th, 2007, 03:43
There is a default limit to the display size of the frame. However you can drag the size of the frame out by holding down control and dragging it. Be aware that you need to think of the resolution of your clients before you make it too big. You can zoom in but not zoom out so with 50x50 tokens your grid size should be 50 or less.

The whole token size is a trade off between how much area you want to show at once and how much detail you want to see on your tokens. Personally I use 32 pixel tokens for medium size creatures because I want to show more map.

richvalle
September 7th, 2007, 05:49
If you are using the 'on the fly' new image to draw a map note that you can expand the size of the image past the starting default. Right click on the image... ummm... I think its under drawing and then expand image. You can expand in all 4 directions (up, down, left right). Do that a few times and then try to zoom out more.

rv

Foen
September 7th, 2007, 06:42
I think 50x50 is a kind of standard, but agree that it doesn't work brilliantly for maps (10px = 1ft). I have had to drop to 5px/ft or 2px/ft to stop large maps from crashing the client, and then scale the tokens to match.

Stuart
(Foen)

Dachannien
September 7th, 2007, 08:21
The tokens don't affect how far you can zoom out. I've found that for whatever reason, you can only zoom out so far on images. Most big maps I use won't fit completely in the FG window, meaning that no matter how far I zoom out, I still won't be able to see the whole thing. I don't know why this is, but that's the way the program works.

You're allowed to zoom out until one dimension of the image, while scaled, would become smaller than the window it is to be displayed in. So, if you have a 1000x2000 image in a 500x500 window, you're allowed to zoom out until the image appears to be 500x1000.

Tokuriku
September 7th, 2007, 10:01
I have a problem sometimes with zooming out also (zooming in is ok, zooming out is the problem), but it's due to my mouse I believe. Even though I don't have the problem with other programs, FG is sometimes prone to it. When that happens, I either restart FG or unplug/plug the usb mouse.

Nalfien
September 7th, 2007, 16:11
If you are using the 'on the fly' new image to draw a map note that you can expand the size of the image past the starting default. Right click on the image... ummm... I think its under drawing and then expand image. You can expand in all 4 directions (up, down, left right). Do that a few times and then try to zoom out more.

rv

That was something I was trying to describe. When I expand an on-the-fly map, I can’t zoom out very far at all. I have to trick the program by drawing a 5 px grid then scale my tokens down and lock them. This makes the grid look like crap for some reason, but I get more zoom out space.

You're allowed to zoom out until one dimension of the image, while scaled, would become smaller than the window it is to be displayed in. So, if you have a 1000x2000 image in a 500x500 window, you're allowed to zoom out until the image appears to be 500x1000.
Because I only use FGII at the pen and paper game I DM I know exactly how things look on their end even down to placement of the images that are currently displayed. Maybe I should increase the max window size. One thing that annoys me is that I often display things like their character portrait or an image of a monster they are fighting. If the image is sort of large one of the proportions will locked as the max zoom like you have explained. The other direction can be panned. However this means there is no way to show the entire image at once. I suppose I could edit all off my images to be square with a background.

richvalle
September 7th, 2007, 18:27
That was something I was trying to describe. When I expand an on-the-fly map, I can’t zoom out very far at all. I have to trick the program by drawing a 5 px grid then scale my tokens down and lock them. This makes the grid look like crap for some reason, but I get more zoom out space.

Even after you make the map size bigger? I thought I had an issue like this the other night but I was able to make the amount of space I could draw on bigger and then zoom out further without having to make the tokens small.

rv

Nalfien
September 7th, 2007, 18:40
Even after you make the map size bigger? I thought I had an issue like this the other night but I was able to make the amount of space I could draw on bigger and then zoom out further without having to make the tokens small.

rv

Yes, even when I made it bigger. I was drawing a 10 ft wide hall way (100 px) and needed to expand twice to the right. I could zoom out a little, but not far enough to show all of the characters at once.