PDA

View Full Version : Outage last night?

Wanderer
September 6th, 2007, 20:39
I'm surprised not to see any posts about the outage of FG II last night... from staff or players. It was a shame - it would been my first ever FG game session.

Does FG connect on a specific port - could we have used ip address and port number to connect to the game host, given that the address server was down/unreachable?

TIA

NymTevlyn
September 6th, 2007, 20:50
You can connect via a static ip address if your dm has one.

joshuha
September 6th, 2007, 20:50
You can always use IP address and I believe alias or not port 1802 should be open on your router/firewalls.

richvalle
September 6th, 2007, 20:57
Yes, when the FG webserver is down the alias feature stops working. You need to switch to ip address at that time.

BTW, this is a nice case when you are using a standalone voice software software to communicate with as you can just give the players your ip instead of trying to send them via email or somesuch... email they might not even be looking at at the time!

Or even having a non-FG chat program running as a backup way to talk is a good idea.

rv

Wanderer
September 6th, 2007, 20:58
Thanks guys... I didn't realize the GM had already posted in healing temple. Apparently the problem was port forwarding on his router.

thanks again

zifnab69_fr
September 6th, 2007, 21:06
Well,
when the webserver is down, it's impossible for new players to download FG2....
that happened last night..... :(

VenomousFiligree
September 6th, 2007, 21:21
Apparently the problem was port forwarding on his router.
Firewall being screwy actually! :p

:)
MB

Wanderer
September 6th, 2007, 22:12
ahhh - my bad then :D

Yenooc
September 6th, 2007, 22:44
Whenever the FG site goes down, you can bet that someone will be notifying others of that fact on the FUM site . . . https://www.fouruglymonsters.com
:D

Wanderer
September 6th, 2007, 23:18
Whenever the FG site goes down, you can bet that someone will be notifying others of that fact on the FUM site . . . https://www.fouruglymonsters.com
:D
Good to know ... cheers

Foen
September 7th, 2007, 06:32
We tend to fire up MSN just about the time we connect to play - that way we can chat about any connection problems. I don't have a mike, so voice isn't a choice.

Stuart
(Foen)

Griogre
September 7th, 2007, 17:37
I let my guys know I have the voice & FG servers up by logging into Yahoo Messager. That way if I put a server up early they know. Plus if the alias server is down I can pass the current IP number around.