PDA

View Full Version : No Portrait Button?

grot
September 6th, 2007, 19:41
When I log into my own session and select a character, I can grab a local character portrait from the portrait screen just fine.

But in the GM mode, there isn't even a BUTTON for portraits?

This is just a dirt standard install. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Any ideas?

Griogre
September 6th, 2007, 19:52
The GM does not have a Portrait button. Portraits come from the clients - it is the only data item that does that exclusively.

I'm not sure why Smiteworks did it this way. As a practical matter if you want a GM character to have a portrait the easiest way to do it is start the server and then start a different instance and connect with it as a player and pick a portrait. You could also rename a portait to match the charater's ID and drop it in the portraits folder of the campaign but it is probably faster to do it the other way.

grot
September 6th, 2007, 21:02
OK, so the client machine would need to have all the portrait pictures then...

Sigurd
September 6th, 2007, 21:09
Yes to access a portrait picture the client has to have the portrait. I think the prefered format is 63x63 png.

(corrected as per Griogre)

By default the location on WinXP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits

Where <USER> is your log on name. The drive letter might change if you are dual booting etc....

Sigurd

Ram Tyr
September 6th, 2007, 22:01
Unless I misunderstand the question...and just because the question uses "all"...

Not ALL of the pictures. The client supplies the portrait for that/those PCs to the host, which then shares them with other clients. So, I have my character's portrait and Sigurd has his character's portrait, and everyone sees all the portraits shared through the host server. Otherwise, what Sigurd said.

Later.

Griogre
September 7th, 2007, 00:23
Yes to access a portrait picture the client has to have the portrait. I think the prefered format is 52x52 png.

The included portrait's are 63x63. Portraits scale automatically, though so as long as it is square you shouldn't get that much distortion.

Foen
September 7th, 2007, 06:39
BTW, the default for Vista users is:

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\portraits

And the AppData folder is hidden by default.

Stuart
(Foen)

MrJamela
October 1st, 2007, 16:36
This is really an odd design decision.

Why wouldn't I want to add portraits to NPCs?

Is this something they can fix?

Jaime

Foen
October 1st, 2007, 18:01
NPCs can have tokens (which is all a PC will see of an NPC most of the time), just drop them onto the space at the top left of the NPC sheet.

Cheers

Stuart

Griogre
October 3rd, 2007, 03:39
As Foen said the players never see the NPC's portraits they just see the NPC's token on the map. If it is important to show them a better picture you can just share and image of the NPC with them.

WIth that nick, is that you Jamie?