PDA

View Full Version : Generic "Modern" reskin in progress

Cyjack
September 4th, 2007, 00:58
Thought I'd post a shot of the generic "modern" re-skin I'm doing for FG2 here. I'll be running a M&M game soon, and didn't like the character of the default FG skin for the setting. My intention is just to put up an alternate generic skin, suitable for a modern or even sci fi setting, for the community to use or modify further for their own needs.

It's lacking any sort of distinctive character, but that's sort of the point. I just wanted to get something "non fantasy" done for everyone, and then revisit it at some point for more specific flavor. I'm not sure how much sense the chatbox makes from a conceptual standpoint, but the design is clean and functional. My original intention was to go for a "light on dark" black monitor screen motif, but the default fonts in FG are so small even adjusted for lightness and saturation they proved far too difficult to read against the black backround, and significantly altering fonts in FG2 proved to be a bigger pain than I wanted to mess with right now.

The main interface and all the button downstates are done, I just need to do the submenus and assorted buttons. I hope to put it up for anyone who wants it in a few days. If you don't like everything, that's cool, I don't like it all either...I just wanted to get something functional done for my campaign. Feel free to mod it further.

Sorontar
September 4th, 2007, 01:03
Looks nice and clean, not something that will distract you from the game but serve a purpose.

Q: Did you knock the art up yourself for the icons or find a handy website?

Cyjack
September 4th, 2007, 01:58
Looks nice and clean, not something that will distract you from the game but serve a purpose.

Q: Did you knock the art up yourself for the icons or find a handy website?

It's just my own digital hackery.

GoOrange
September 4th, 2007, 03:16
Looks very nice. Boy that would look a lot better on my Star Wars Saga Edition character sheet than the current brown theme...

heruca
September 5th, 2007, 03:13
Nice work. Looks good.

Cyjack
September 5th, 2007, 08:17
An update. Replaced some buttons. Reined in the color palette a bit for a more uniform, and color neutral dice-friendly UI (all the overtly red elements were clashing with bright green dice). Kept the reddish underlighting for a bit of drama. As you can see, I'm into the submenus now. Looking a bit more slick in general.

I'm sort of "phoning in" the rest. I actually had a much better idea for a more suitable generic skin, and I just want to get past this, so I can in turn, knock that one out.

mr_h
September 5th, 2007, 15:15
That looks pretty darn cool :D

Valarian
September 9th, 2007, 11:52
This looks really good, and you're willing to post it - bonus!
Many thanks on behalf of the artistically inept members of the board (myself included :))

Cyjack
September 11th, 2007, 03:10
Just an update. Haven't given up...just took a few days off to work on my campaign. Almost done...submenus galore...

zifnab69_fr
September 11th, 2007, 08:42
very very nice....
is there a repository where we can download all the great FG user creation ?
thank you

heruca
September 11th, 2007, 10:55
You might want to rethink using a Star Trek font in what is supposed to be a generic interface design.

Also, you call this a "modern" reskin, but it's looking more "sci-fi" with each update.

Cyjack
September 11th, 2007, 11:32
You might want to rethink using a Star Trek font in what is supposed to be a generic interface design.

Also, you call this a "modern" reskin, but it's looking more "sci-fi" with each update.

It's not a star trek font, but I can see the similarity. It's only on the one menu, and by all means, change it to whatever you wish.

I'd actually call it more "ultra-modern" I guess. The future is now, after all, and there are no design elements that look any more "sci fi" than many slick software client GUIs, or overdesigned pieces of consumer electronics dating back to the 80's...not to mention your average cell phone. It's not generic as in "belonging to no specific cultural era", but generic as in belonging to no particular official modern + game setting.

In any event, I'll put up the ruleset up somehow, and you can pick and choose any elements you want for a custom skin that better suits you. I'm only doing this for the lack of any official alternate, non-fantasy, UI skin, that's easily available.

Valarian
September 11th, 2007, 12:48
:rolleyes: The man offers you free graphics ... and you complain?

heruca
September 11th, 2007, 22:23
Wasn't a complaint. It was feedback.

mcgarnagle
September 12th, 2007, 03:45
Hey Cyjack, would you mind if I use the few buttons in the top right of your interface? They look great and would work well with my own reskin.

Cyjack
September 12th, 2007, 03:59
When I finally put this up ( I keep taking time off to work on my game), you can use, or not use whatever you'd like.

terrell
September 13th, 2007, 11:02
I can't wait to get a copy of this. Well done sir!

VgnFrnd
September 13th, 2007, 23:23
I am also psyched to rev this up!

Cyjack
September 14th, 2007, 03:54
No one's more anxious than me to have it done. ;) Even something simple like a graphical replacement skin is proving a much more labourious process than I had anticipated. There are just so many little niggling details and icons to replace, and everything tiles and scales, even though the difference between a low res desktop and a high res desktop might result in a 75 pixel difference in the scaled element. The process would be more straightforward, and result in more appealing and deliberately rendered elements, if I went through and adjusted or got rid of the tile zones assigned to the image files that dont really need to "scale"...but that's way more work than I have time for right now. Perhaps for my next skin.

At any rate, I think I'm at the "24 hour" mark and wrapping it up, so I hope to host it (somehow) for the weekend.

Cyjack
September 22nd, 2007, 20:09
Sorry, I keep getting distraced away from this for the more pressing issues of getting my campign done, and workable in FG, and I have to move on from this. I posted this skin as a ruleset over in the armory forum Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7276) .

Hope it proves useful to someone!