PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Effective NPC

rhagelstrom
November 16th, 2021, 16:17
Effective NPC is a 5E extension that enables custom effects to be applied to targets from the NPC sheet with the addition of "has become <customeffect>" to the NPC sheet traits or actions.

Forge Link (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/361/view)

History.
V 1.0 - Initial

anathemort
November 17th, 2021, 00:42
Awesome, love your work!

BlazingAzureCrow
November 17th, 2021, 01:36
I'm not sure why, but it's not managing to parse for me. Can anyone else confirm that the version downloaded from the forge is working correctly? This is literally something I've been saying on our show that I think should be part of FG, and I'd love to see it working.

rhagelstrom
November 17th, 2021, 03:30
I'm not sure why, but it's not managing to parse for me. Can anyone else confirm that the version downloaded from the forge is working correctly? This is literally something I've been saying on our show that I think should be part of FG, and I'd love to see it working.

Post a couple of screenshots of your effects list and npc text.

Couple of things.

I tested some punctuation it worked but there may be issues. Removing punctuation may help

It matches the first tag in the effect. So the effect must start with the name you wish the parser to match

Example

engulfed; SDMGOS ….

The parser will look for engulfed so the npc text needs to be

has become engulfed

MrDDT
November 17th, 2021, 04:16

I've tested it and it's working for me. Love this EXT

BlazingAzureCrow
November 17th, 2021, 04:37
This is what I attempted. I grabbed the acolyte and added "has become engulfed" to their club, to test things out, and have "Engulfed; Restrained" as an effect. I've tested it both capitalized and not. I have no other extensions turned on. It's not working for some reason. I hope I'm just doing something wrong.

https://sta.sh/0a9wb28qm18

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2021, 09:23
This is what I attempted. I grabbed the acolyte and added "has become engulfed" to their club, to test things out, and have "Engulfed; Restrained" as an effect. I've tested it both capitalized and not. I have no other extensions turned on. It's not working for some reason. I hope I'm just doing something wrong.

https://sta.sh/0a9wb28qm18

From what I can see you'll need to add your wording to an action or trait - not the weapon line. I doubt that adding to the weapon line will have any effect.

BlazingAzureCrow
November 17th, 2021, 09:35
From what I can see you'll need to add your wording to an action or trait - not the weapon line. I doubt that adding to the weapon line will have any effect.

Other effects and conditions (such as "is poisoned for 1 minute") parse out the same way there on plenty of existing blocks that share weapon attack/damage rolls, which seem to be what this is emulating the parsing for. I'm not really sure anything in the action boxes becomes a "weapon line" in any functionally different way on an NPC sheet, so there should be no conflict. To my understanding, that text is read the same as anywhere else in this regard, in the same way that you can program attack and damage rolls into the traits section.

To that end though, my initial attempts before trying it out exclusively in a blank campaign were to add it to a trait, but it didn't work there either. Re-attempted it before sending this message, and doing so yielded no results.

rhagelstrom
November 17th, 2021, 15:21
I may have had a bad package. I recompressed the extension and put an updated version on the forge. Try updating and see if you have better luck.

rtrevino
November 17th, 2021, 18:10
Hi,

Tried to get the extension but I just didn't download. I have it in my inventory but it just wont download

Thnks!

rhagelstrom
November 17th, 2021, 20:00
Hi,

Tried to get the extension but I just didn't download. I have it in my inventory but it just wont download

Thnks!

Check for updates?

BlazingAzureCrow
November 17th, 2021, 22:01
I may have had a bad package. I recompressed the extension and put an updated version on the forge. Try updating and see if you have better luck.

Updated and it worked~! I had opened the zip before to inspect it and noticed there wasn't a scripts folder in the original download. I thought that might've been why, but since I don't know anything about making extensions (outside tinkering with some) I didn't suggest it. Anyhow, it works now~! Thank you so much!

rtrevino
November 19th, 2021, 02:08
Check for updates?

Today it worked ok!

Thnks!

rhagelstrom
November 19th, 2021, 17:07
Today it worked ok!

Thnks!

Great

BlazingAzureCrow
November 21st, 2021, 22:17
If you would indulge my curiosity, why did you choose the particular wording "has become"? It struck me as a bit less common than just having it look for things like "becomes" or "is now", so I was just curious what the thought behind the choice was. To be clear I'm not asking for it to be changed.

rhagelstrom
November 21st, 2021, 22:24
If you would indulge my curiosity, why did you choose the particular wording "has become"? It struck me as a bit less common than just having it look for things like "becomes" or "is now", so I was just curious what the thought behind the choice was. To be clear I'm not asking for it to be changed.

Parsing reasons. I didn't want to match false positives or other wording that the parser handles

BushViper
January 31st, 2022, 21:20
Is this extension redundant if I'm also using Automatic Effects, Equipped Effects, and the Better Combat Effects Gold package?

MrDDT
January 31st, 2022, 21:25
I asked Ryan (Rhagelstrom) this last night and he said yes, you do not need this ext if you are using those 3 things.

BlazingAzureCrow
February 6th, 2022, 07:51
I've noticed that if Better Combat Effects Gold is enabled, this extension doesn't work properly and doesn't parse most instances of effect on the sheet. Would it be possible to resolve whatever conflict exists between the two? This extension is very useful for more complex NPC sheets.

MrDDT
February 6th, 2022, 18:49
I've noticed that if Better Combat Effects Gold is enabled, this extension doesn't work properly and doesn't parse most instances of effect on the sheet. Would it be possible to resolve whatever conflict exists between the two? This extension is very useful for more complex NPC sheets.

BCEG, doesn't need this ext loaded. Try without this ext, if you using BCEG.

BlazingAzureCrow
February 6th, 2022, 19:23
BCEG, doesn't need this ext loaded. Try without this ext, if you using BCEG.

I think I might be unclear about how BCEG replaces this exact functionality. I can't find anything about how to write traits to automatically parse effects on the combat tracker like Effective NPC does, and BCEG is shutting that function down from this extension. The closest I can find is SDMGADDT effects which aren't proving to be as useful or specific for many things. I'm sorry to ask for help, but is there some syntax or anything that I'm missing in BCEG that outlines how to do the same thing this extension does?

rhagelstrom
February 7th, 2022, 01:10
Hi,

Thnks!

Try checking for updates at the FG launch screen. The extension is set to data so it should show up in your extension folder

rhagelstrom
February 7th, 2022, 01:19

If you are using Equipped Effects, then you Effective NPC might not work as expected as EE knocks out that part of the parser and replaces data with other data. I don't think BCEG and Effective NPC have any trouble working together but I'll have to double check. You could try to turn off the NPC parsing in EE and then Effective NPC should work?

BlazingAzureCrow
February 7th, 2022, 01:27
If you are using Equipped Effects, then you Effective NPC might not work as expected as EE knocks out that part of the parser and replaces data with other data. I don't think BCEG and Effective NPC have any trouble working together but I'll have to double check. You could try to turn off the NPC parsing in EE and then Effective NPC should work?

I don't use EE to begin with. Having tested it, Effective NPC functions properly when BCEG is off, then doesn't parse when it's on.

rhagelstrom
February 7th, 2022, 01:32
I don't use EE to begin with. Having tested it, Effective NPC functions properly when BCEG is off, then doesn't parse when it's on.

Gotcha. I'll take a look.

BlazingAzureCrow
February 7th, 2022, 01:36
Gotcha. I'll take a look.

I'll be sure to also test it in a clean campaign with no other extensions once I'm at my PC. What I've reported is from a campaign with MANY other extensions, but BCEG being on is the only factor that affects whether or not Effective NPC is working.

BlazingAzureCrow
February 7th, 2022, 01:43
Quick update. Did a clean campaign test. It works when ONLY Better Combat Effects, Better Combat Effects Gold, and Effective NPC are on. I'm going to have to sort through all my extensions to figure out what else is causing the issue. Sorry for the red herring. I'll report in when I figure out what's up.

BlazingAzureCrow
February 7th, 2022, 21:08
It's the strangest thing. I opened a clean campaign with all the same extensions and couldn't replicate the problem. In my main campaign though, if BCEG is on, then many custom effects aren't getting picked up by the "has become" text, while a couple still are. The only variable is BCEG being on or off. I have no idea what the actual issue is beyond that so I'm not going to hold my breath for a solution. Sorry to have pestered you! I suppose I'll just need to decide which I want to use more.