PDA

View Full Version : So, what is the "players handbook" for Savage World?

Wanderer
September 2nd, 2007, 23:39
I've been browsing around, and at this point I don't know what the standard 'players handbook' is for Savage World. I've downloaded and read the 'Savage Worlds test drive' doc (3.0 and , it seems, 4).

there are several things I don't "get" yet, like:
- Arcane Background (XX) is necessary for 'magic' of the 4 variations. Fine. How do I get/learn spells, though? Is that through new power edges? That seems like starting characters will have very few spells (as in 1 or 2 spells).
- What are all the 'knowledge' options for skills?

...and so much more that I am sure I will learn from the phb... so where is it? I've browsed https://www.smithandrobards.com/index.php?cPath=2 and I'm not sure.... is it Savage Worlds Revised?

Andugus
September 3rd, 2007, 00:01
I believe the new rules for both GM and Player are called "Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition."

https://www.rpgshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=39295&

tholaday
September 3rd, 2007, 00:06
Yes, the book Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition contains all the rules and is the most recent edition in print. If you BUY the Savage Worlds play set from Digital Adventures, you will also get enough of the rules to play (if not all of them...I haven't compared the set to the printed rules yet). There is a GM's Handbook as well as a Player's Handbook. So, in the test drive you are only seeing a portion of the rules. The SW play set uses the Savage Worlds Revised edition, which is the full rules release just prior to the Explorer's Edition. There are very few differences between the two, not enough to feel like you are getting "out of date" material.

Sorontar
September 3rd, 2007, 00:23
SW Revised has a Players Section and a GMs section and is everything you need to play and the additional rules to run a game.

There are also settings books and additional kit books that help in things like designing games etc if you are new to the concept.

SW Explorers from what I can tell is a nice new addition that is cheap as hell and portable as it's tiny when compared to normal rules books.

A) You get set starting powers depending on the Arcane Background you chose (between 1-3), thereafter there is an edge for new powers which you can choose at advancement.

B) Knowledge skills are what you can think as far as I can tell and are dependent on the setting.

I'm waiting for the rulebooks to come back in stock Here (https://www.iguk.co.uk/products/explorer-edition-savage-worlds-rulebook-5881.aspx). Less than £6 delivered for the explorers I'm not complaining.

Wanderer
September 3rd, 2007, 00:26
Ok - this looks like what I needed. Thanks Tholaday.

the 'FG II' doesn't have the rules in PDF etc. They are only accessable inside FG II, correct?

Sorontar
September 3rd, 2007, 00:28
the 'FG II' doesn't have the rules in PDF etc. They are only accessable inside FG II, correct?

Indeed that is correct

Wanderer
September 3rd, 2007, 00:36
hmm digital is good, but I need to find it somewhere that doesn't rely on paypal...

Kalan
September 3rd, 2007, 05:17
@ Wanderer - you might want to look at Leisure Games: https://www.leisuregames.com/index.html THey are a UK based game shop, who also takes CC orders iirc.

And typically PCs who wield magic do tend to start off with fewer magic spells - but all in all can cast them more often (and can make them more powerful). The key with SW is they only provide you with the basic framework - you make the spell your own by giving it a trapping (essentially what the spell looks like when you cast it). It is also not uncommon (esp in some of the Fantasy settings I've seen), for Magic wielding PCs to be given spells as rewards for completed tasks.

And Knowledges - well, there'll be whatever knowledges are appropriate for the setting. But don't get bogged down in the details! Its especially important in SW togive your characters backgrounds, as it is your backgrounds which help the GM use the Common Knowledge rules effectively. Think of the Knowledge skill as being "extremely specialized area of study) - only drop points in it if you think its something appropriate.

If you have any more Savage questions - just ask away :)

VenomousFiligree
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42
Damn, got up too late to post answers! :D

Sorontar
September 3rd, 2007, 09:26
@ Wanderer - you might want to look at Leisure Games: https://www.leisuregames.com/index.html THey are a UK based game shop, who also takes CC orders iirc.

OMG thank you.

I used these guys for a few things and they were awesome but I have lost all my links and couldn't remember their name.

Today is a happy day

*does a little dance*

:D

Kalan
September 3rd, 2007, 09:41
No prob ;) Now that we actually get some play money each month - we might even be using them a little more often :D

Wanderer
September 3rd, 2007, 23:20
Well, I've yet to find a copy of the online SW content that I can purchase, but I've browsed lots of forums etc., and while I wait to buy a copy of the "Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition" I hope I can ask a few more questions?

Arcane backgrounds... are these skills or edges?
Can a player have more than one?
Are power points magic type specific? i.e., if I can have Arcane Background (magic) and Arcane Background Miracles) - does each of them have their own set of power points, or are they cumulative?

Well, thanks in advance... ciao 4 now

Wanderer
September 3rd, 2007, 23:24
ahh - I think I've found the answer - it is an edge, and you can only have 1 (unless Gm decides otherwise).

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=271521

I asked this question over at the official site, and this is what they told me.

1) The default rule is that you cannot take any edge more than once, unless it specifically says that you may in the edge description.

2) Arcane Background is a single edge, with several sub-choices, not a series of separate edges.

3) It nowhere says that you may take Arcane Background more than once in the edge description.

4) Therefore, you may only have 1 arcane background per character.

That is the official rule. You may house rule of course, but that's the official word.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by (un)reason
Are there any rules on how to handle a character with multiple arcane backgrounds in any savage worlds supplements? There are cases where it would be thematicly appropriate, but simply allowing all the power points and initial power allocations to stack would create an overpowered character, while giving each arcane background a seperate power pool would complicate bookeeping in a manner that seems innapropriate for the system. What solution would you use for this problem?

Unless an Edge specifically states it can be taken more than once, you can't take it more than once. The Arcane Background Edge has no such statement. There is only one Arcane Background Edge. When you take it, you choose a specific "focus" -- Magic, Miracles, Psionics, Super Powers, or Weird Science.

VenomousFiligree
September 3rd, 2007, 23:33
Well, I've yet to find a copy of the online SW content that I can purchase
Are you after the FGII Savage Worlds ruleset (https://www.digitaladventures.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=70) or a pdf version of Savage Worlds (https://www.smithandrobards.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=18) or something else?

Arcane backgrounds... are these skills or edges?
They are edges with associated skills, ie the edge Arcane Background: (Miracles) requires the Arcane Skill: Faith (Spirits)

Can a player have more than one?
And as you said you can't have more than one, from Savagepedia: (https://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/Edges+and+Hindrances+Rules+FAQ)

Q: If you have a character with both Arcane Background: Magic and Arcane Background Miracles, you would have two Power Point Pools, correct?
As you advance, can you take both edges - Power Points: Magic and Power Points: Miracles - in the same rank. For example, at 5 XP, I select Power Points: Magic for my advance. At 10 XP, can I take Power Points: Miracles? Or do I have to wait until I'm seasoned?

A: A character can't officially have two Arcane Backgrounds. Edges can only be taken once unless otherwise specifically stated. Arcane Background is a single Edge regardless of the type (Magic, Miracles, Psionics, etc...).
Also for rules clarifications its best to go to the PEG Forums (https://www.peginc.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=62) or Savagepedia. (https://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/)

:)
MB

Wanderer
September 4th, 2007, 00:57
Thanks MB. I was hoping for a pdf that I could buy without Paypal (which I don't have) before Wednesday this week, so I might get a look in with your ripper campaign.... now i don't think I'll get it in time, so I am trying to sponge everything off of the web/forums and by asking questions.

Re: Arcane Background ( magic) - is the associated skill Casting or Spellcastin or something like that?

Sorontar
September 4th, 2007, 01:05
Out of interest - do you have issues with Paypal?

Wanderer
September 4th, 2007, 01:13
Out of interest - do you have issues with Paypal?

No issues - just don't have an account, and I'm not sure I will get one set up in 2 days...

That said, I am trying to understand the cost structure - from the paypal website:
Question : Does it cost money to sign up for PayPal?
Answer : No. Opening a PayPal account is free. All accounts can send money for free. Personal accounts can receive a limited number of credit or debit card funded payments per year and are charged a transaction fee. To view your Personal account limit, log in to your account and click the View Limits link. There are low transaction fees for PayPal Premier and Business account members to receive payments. See our fee schedule.

Does that mean I get charged for 'loading' money into the account?

Receive payments funded by Credit Card, Debit Card or Buyer Credit 4.9% + $0.30 USD (limit of 5 transactions per 12 month period)** for domestic or U.S. transactions

that's a LOT! almost 5% - so £5 to spend £100 on it? Is there interest on positive balances? No that I can see...

Sorontar
September 4th, 2007, 01:18
I think the fee is only if you are receiving a payment not making one, I know I haven't been charged.

My paypal is basically set up with a debit card and paypal deducts any transactions directly from that card.

Usually when you buy something that is through paypal its a few clicks.

Maybe a couple on the vendor and then a few when you get directed to paypal verification.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/bizui/WhatIsPayPal-outside

Wanderer
September 4th, 2007, 01:29
hmm - sounds ok - I guess I need to find out more about it - we couldn't use this when I lived in SA, so I never really learnt much about it.

thanks for the tips - what you are doing sounds like what I would want.... paypal payment triggering through to the debit card

VenomousFiligree
September 4th, 2007, 08:55
Re: Arcane Background ( magic) - is the associated skill Casting or Spellcastin or something like that?
Yes, it's spellcasting (smarts)

Glad to be of help :D

MB

Thore_Ironrock
September 4th, 2007, 14:11
FYI to everyone, our license with PEG was for the Savage Worlds core book only. In fact, when we started the v1 ruleset the explorer edition had not even been finished yet.

At the moment there really aren't any plans to convert the exlplorer edition, though if there is enough outcry we'll definately consider it.

Thanks,

GoOrange
September 4th, 2007, 14:27
At the moment there really aren't any plans to convert the exlplorer edition, though if there is enough outcry we'll definately consider it.

Consider me crying out!

Sorontar
September 4th, 2007, 16:56
Is there any real difference between the Core Revised and the Explorers?

Reading the description it just appears to be a smaller copy with some new artwork?

Have the rules exploded?

GoOrange
September 4th, 2007, 17:11
There are a few rules changes. Melee damage is handled slightly differently, the chase rules have been re-done, and the rules for becoming incapacitated (knockout blow) have changed. So yes, there are real changes.

It's not a huge change that radically alters gameplay, but the changes are significant enough in my mind to warrant a ruleset update.

Waldo Pepper
September 4th, 2007, 18:40
The problem is that the Explorers' edition is not really officially an update (yet?): PEG is still selling the revised edition book and so calling for a ruleset "update" is not necessarily wanted nor needed. Most of the differences can easily be handled within the existing DA ruleset or with very little extra inconvenience (e.g., you can place two dice in the weapon damage slot already).

Concerning paypal - you often don't even really need an account: Many merchants simply process CC purchases through paypal and its all done in the background. You also only pay fees if you receive funds, not for making payments.