PDA

View Full Version : import ruleset

CYRIBEUSH
November 7th, 2021, 10:58
Hello,

if i bued and own physical (and pdf) rulebook for a game, is there a way to import/convert it in FGU ?
I dont want to pay a second time a core ruleset i already buyed in paper/pdf version.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
November 7th, 2021, 12:34
Welcome to FGU.

It depends on the ruleset that you want to play. Several (3.5, 5e, 2e, and others) come free with the license - others you do have to pay for. You need to understand that the ruleset is what allows FG to know what the rules of the game are; what happens when you roll an attack or cast a spell or create a character. What a ruleset doesn't have is any content. In other words if we take the 5e ruleset as an example you get the ruleset free but content such as the PHB, MM and DMG are additional purchases. You can add all of the content from those three books yourself but it will take a lot of time to do so. So if you have the physical copies then you could theoretically add all the content into FG yourself. Also you have to understand you are not paying again for content you already own since the digital versions are not the same; the publisher needs to be paid; Smiteworks needs a share and the developer who spend hundreds of hours developing the content also deserves a share.

So your answer is yes, you can add all the content if you have the time to do so; but buying it will save you that time. (And no you can't import a pdf into FGU).

CYRIBEUSH
November 7th, 2021, 12:47
i think about Vampire the mascarade V5, i have the all inclusive bundle payed 150€ paper and pdf version..

damned
November 7th, 2021, 12:56
Welcome tomot

To gain access to the many hundreds of hours of coding and data manipulation you will need to buy the product. It is a licensed product. A share goes to the publisher, to Fantasy Grounds and to the developer(s) of that system on FG.

CYRIBEUSH
November 7th, 2021, 13:05
i understand your point of view but in mine i think it's not normal to rebuy the same game multiples times.

(For me its crazy (scam ?) te rebuy a video game on a console when you have it on pc for exemple).

For sharing and pay the developpers it's normal of course, but maybe the editors of games can propose a free ruleset addon for VTT owners (it's an idea) and share benefits directly with them.

I want to remind you that we already paid an expensive licence for VTT software (100€ ++ fgu for me) which can also be used to pay the devs.

Okay, I understood your opinion (capitalism above all) and wish you a good day full of profits.

damned
November 7th, 2021, 13:09
You can only spend your money once and you must decide how best to do that for your set of circumstances.

You might also consider that the RPG hobby is a small niche in the world of games and gaming.
Virtual Table Tops are a niche inside that.
And specific RPGs outside of D&D5E are all tiny, tiny slices of that niche.
Not very many people making profits I can assure you...

All the VtM5 Rolls are possible in MoreCore which is freely available.

BronzeDodger
November 8th, 2021, 16:08
"What do you mean I need to pay for groceries a second time - I already paid once, all future food should be free"

What?

ChrisRevocateur
November 8th, 2021, 17:52
I think it's not normal to rebuy the same game multiples times.

I've never understood this. You AREN'T rebuying the same game multiple times. You're buying not having to code an entire digital tool for that game yourself and then doing data entry for everything in the ruleset.

To use your own video game on console vs on PC analogy. Buying the books is buying the game. Buying Fantasy Grounds is like buying an adapter that allows you to use various different types of controllers. Buying the ruleset is like buying the controller that you want to use for the game.

Unfortunately since books are a physical, analog product and a digital tool to HELP play that game is, well, digital, so you're gonna have to buy the "adapter."

When you bought the books that's all you were promised, was the books. That and dice are all you need to play. You aren't entitled to anything more than that. Fantasy Grounds is an accessory, one you don't need. If you don't want to pay for that accessory, then don't.

CYRIBEUSH
November 8th, 2021, 23:06
I've never understood this. You AREN'T rebuying the same game multiple times. You're buying not having to code an entire digital tool for that game yourself and then doing data entry for everything in the ruleset.

To use your own video game on console vs on PC analogy. Buying the books is buying the game. Buying Fantasy Grounds is like buying an adapter that allows you to use various different types of controllers. Buying the ruleset is like buying the controller that you want to use for the game.

Unfortunately since books are a physical, analog product and a digital tool to HELP play that game is, well, digital, so you're gonna have to buy the "adapter."

When you bought the books that's all you were promised, was the books. That and dice are all you need to play. You aren't entitled to anything more than that. Fantasy Grounds is an accessory, one you don't need. If you don't want to pay for that accessory, then don't.

Sorry but i dont agree with that, this is your opinion not mine.

For me its only an economic model consisting to buy a game support (relatively expensive) and buy some dlc if you want some fonctionnality.
OK its the deal to accept or not.

My thread is not to blame fg or other vtt but if i read correctly up this post, some part of the price for an addon goes to the editor.
I feel legitim to.say again, if i own à game (paper or other), i will REBUY the game à second time because of this part of the price which goes to the editor.
For this its to the editor to propose a discount or à promotional code for addon on vtt. I think its fair.

So if i want to do it all by myself, what is the solution ?
Can i create character sheet from scratch or à void template ?
Does the free ruleset system manage d10 system ?
Can i import small part of pdf i own (and bought) from my rulebook to do games help my players ?

I have an idea of the response :)
Thanks

damned
November 8th, 2021, 23:13
When you go and see a new movie at the cinema you don't get handed a DVD on the way out and then also get an MP4 download link sent to your email address.

Anyway have a look at MoreCore. You can do all the VtM stuff in there.

You can also code your own ruleset.

You can also try using the Ruleset Wizard to assist your coding.

ChrisRevocateur
November 8th, 2021, 23:58
So if i want to do it all by myself, what is the solution ?
Can i create character sheet from scratch or à void template ?
Does the free ruleset system manage d10 system ?

If you want to do it all by yourself then the solution is to learn how to program LUA, learn how rulesets are programmed for Fantasy Grounds (they provide you documentation), and programming the ruleset yourself. Then, after you've created a framework that is able to automate the rules to your satisfaction, you can hand enter or copy/paste the data from your PDF's and edit them to work with the ruleset you've created.

This is DOZENS, if not SCORES of hours of work, but if you don't want to spend hundreds of hours to set up your own ruleset then you can buy ones that are already pre-built with data already put in.

That scores of hours of work making an ACCESSORY is what you're paying for. You're acting like you're entitled to that work because you also happened to buy the books.

LordEntrails
November 9th, 2021, 00:49
There are tutorial videos on YouTube for creating your own ruleset; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbyUQ_TZjng
You can also buy access to the private Ruleset Wizard; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61387-Ruleset-Wizard-The-new-Ruleset-development-environment
There is a Developer Guide here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide

johnecc
November 9th, 2021, 00:59
You can also try using the Ruleset Wizard to assist your coding.

But based on his theory, why should he have to buy Ruleset Wizard, surely he should get it for free **Heavy Sarcasm**

damned
November 9th, 2021, 01:04
Hi guys, please ease up on the personal digs.

Everyone is coming from different financial situations and perspectives.

The commercial rulesets do cost money and its not really important whether we agree with that or the price or whatever. We can choose to buy or not.

Please note the videos on ruleset creation are using the Ruleset Wizard which is an additional paid product made by a third party.

I do have other videos on extension creation that apply to any ruleset and also videos on creating a game system on MoreCore which is free.

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2021, 08:11
You can add any content yourself but as I said in post #2 you can't import it. You'll need to copy/paste from your pdf into FGU; this will be a slow process since you'll need to format the story entries etc. You can also create classes, races, items, spells etc in the same way copy/paste or type it all in directly. This is for content mind you - that is players handbook, monster manuals etc. For the actual ruleset you'll either need to buy the ruleset itself or re-invent the wheel by creating it yourself. Or have a look at MoreCore as damned mentions.

CYRIBEUSH
November 13th, 2021, 08:10
You can add any content yourself but as I said in post #2 you can't import it. You'll need to copy/paste from your pdf into FGU; this will be a slow process since you'll need to format the story entries etc. You can also create classes, races, items, spells etc in the same way copy/paste or type it all in directly. This is for content mind you - that is players handbook, monster manuals etc. For the actual ruleset you'll either need to buy the ruleset itself or re-invent the wheel by creating it yourself. Or have a look at MoreCore as damned mentions.

I thank you for your comments, finally those which are constructive and which do not make lesson of morale, I will look at all the points proposed. for the moment I am moving towards reselling my fantasy ground license and switching to a famous competitor who offers free rulesets (the game system and character sheets). And oddly enough, the developers don't seem to be that miserable. I wish you a good continuation in joy and prosperity. And thanks to the person who pointed me out for giving my opinion

CYRIBEUSH
November 13th, 2021, 08:11
@moderators can you close this thread please ?
Thanks.

ChrisRevocateur
November 13th, 2021, 14:25
Just you so you know, those free rulesets for that competitor have the same amount of information put in for them as the free rulesets that exist on FG, that is to say, none, and other that PFRPG2e, there is no "import from pdf" capability.

And no one was "make lesson of morale," nothing that was talked about was moralistic, it's just basic economics.

Good luck with the competitor.