PDA

View Full Version : Token and Portrait Questions

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 00:56
So I'm running a campaign as the GM.

Only I can see the tokens in my "host" folder.
Only I can see the tokens in the "token" subfolder in the "campaign name" folder
Both players and myself can see tokens in the "shared" folder.
Players cannot see portraits in my main "portraits" folder.
Players only see portraits in their own main "portraits" folder.

Are the above assumptions correct?

Can players logging onto my campaign see any of their own tokens? If so, which folder on their machine contains the tokens they can see?

Thanks,
Jeff

Griogre
September 2nd, 2007, 06:17
I believe that is all true. I am not sure on the tokens in the campaign folder I believe you can put a shared and host into the token folder in the campaign folder and I don't know what happens if you don't.

Players logging in only see shared tokens on your machine.

Edit: I tried the tokens in the campaign folder. They are only seen by the host. Doesn't matter what if any subfolders you make.

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 13:05
OK one thing I just noticed is that players can bring their own tokens to a game, which makes me wonder, which folder those tokens have to be in on their machine, to be seen when playing.

Tropico
September 2nd, 2007, 14:36
This is a bit tangential to your post GoOrange, but since you have to be the one to drag all the tokens to the combat tracker and then to the map (so that you can resize them) perhaps the concern over players and their tokens isn't that important... the tokens used are always going to end up being the host's anyway... I know I've played in more than a few sessions by now and I haven't opened the token box one time as a player, ever? Maybe I'm missing something though :o

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 15:39
I'm just trying to figure out how to best organize my tokens for various purposes.

For instance, if I want to play in your game, where do I put the token for the character I wish to use?

Toadwart
September 2nd, 2007, 20:43
I'm just trying to figure out how to best organize my tokens for various purposes.

For instance, if I want to play in your game, where do I put the token for the character I wish to use?

Unlike portraits, I don't think FG supports players bringing their own tokens to the game. Yet. It's something I'd like to see as a future enhancement.

For now I think you'd have to give the dm a copy of your token before the game so he can drop it into his token folders.
If he puts it in the shared folder then you would be able to drag it onto maps directly. However, in a d20 game it's better to just let the dm handle it as he would have to drag the token onto the combat tracker for you in order to 'link' it to your character.

scytale2
September 2nd, 2007, 21:30
Yes it would help to have player tokens, if a player had a mule or a mount that they wanted to move around, or even if they had a summoned creature.

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 21:55
Unlike portraits, I don't think FG supports players bringing their own tokens to the game. Yet. It's something I'd like to see as a future enhancement.

I ran a Savage Worlds game yesterday, and the players plopped down tokens onto the map, including one that looked like Jackie Chan. I know I don't have any Jackie Chan tokens on my machine (perhaps I should!), and at least one other token was one I didn't have locally. So somehow the players were able to plop down tokens onto the maps. They were identical to the portraits, however. I wonder if you can drag your portrait onto the map as a token?

joshuha
September 2nd, 2007, 22:54
I ran a Savage Worlds game yesterday, and the players plopped down tokens onto the map, including one that looked like Jackie Chan. I know I don't have any Jackie Chan tokens on my machine (perhaps I should!), and at least one other token was one I didn't have locally. So somehow the players were able to plop down tokens onto the maps. They were identical to the portraits, however. I wonder if you can drag your portrait onto the map as a token?

Yep. That's a new feature in FG2.

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 23:18
Yep. That's a new feature in FG2.

Cool. I didn't know that. That explains a great deal.

Tropico
September 3rd, 2007, 01:46
I ran a Savage Worlds game yesterday, and the players plopped down tokens onto the map, including one that looked like Jackie Chan.

LOL that was me :bandit:

I wonder if you can drag your portrait onto the map as a token?

Yes, sorry I thought you were aware of that already.. that's why I was saying players usually don't need to bring in tokens... but Scy's point is also very true. It would be useful.

GoOrange
September 3rd, 2007, 04:31
LOL that was me :bandit:

Yes, sorry I thought you were aware of that already.. that's why I was saying players usually don't need to bring in tokens... but Scy's point is also very true. It would be useful.

Yeah I'm still learning all the little things. One of these days I'll get up to speed with how this program works!