PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Saluations

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 19:38
Hail fellow travellers, and well met!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been browsing around the forums, and like what I saw here, and if the demo, so I've taken the plunge on FG II.

I'm hoping to find some pointers, and ideally games, that are willing to take on a FG n00b, and help me dust of the cobwebs on my PNP skills, such as they are. I'm based in London, so thats GMT+1 (at the moment). I can probably do a couple of hours of a night, from 21:00 - I will need to negotiate with the wife ;)

In terms of RP background:
About 5 years as a player of DnD 2nd Ed, and 1 year as a DM. Last played that about 4 years ago.
About 1 year of DND 3rd Ed - 9 months of that as a DM. Last played about 3 years ago.
The odd flirtation with several other genre's and systems, but none of them more than a few months, and most only a few sessions. Things like CoC, Cyberpunk, shadowrun, Super Heroes, Vampire the Masquerade, etc.
Other than PNP, over the last 4-5 years I've mainly gotten my RP fix from NWN I and II, playing on persistent worlds.

Historically I tend to enjoy creating reasonably long description and histories. I have several character concepts that could be be worked into something usable I think. I;ve mainly played rogues and fighters in PNP, and played quite a bit of mage users in NWN's. Never really played a cleric or druid.

Hopefully someone will take pity on me, and show me the way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Til next we meet, may yer foes be foolish and yer flagons be full

VenomousFiligree
September 1st, 2007, 19:59
Hi and welcome, your times match mine perfectly!!

However, I've been Savaged! ;)

So if your up for some Savage Worlds Fast Furious Fun, let me know :D

I can give you a run around FG whenever you like?

I would also reccomend you stop by RPG Virtual Tabletop (https://rpgvirtualtabletop.com/phpbb/index.php) and Four ugly Monsters (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/index.php?)

There are quite a few Euro groups playing but they tend to start a bit earlier, anyway give me a shout if you need any help.

What NWN PW were you on, I played for about a year at ALFA?

MB

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 20:06
Is Savage World a D20 system? Is it 'understandable' to a D20 / DnD player? I thought is was a setting, but now I'm wondering if I was thinking of Iron Throne....

I'll check out those links, thanks.

I'm up for a run-around FG - even now iff you've the time.

My NWN 1 servers were in South Africa.
Forgotten Realms derivative. Played and DM'd
My NWN 2 servers:
Land of Immortals (PVP world),
Forgotten Realms ca,
Dasaria II

VenomousFiligree
September 1st, 2007, 20:15
Is Savage World a D20 system?
:eek:

Savage Worlds review (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10962.phtml)

Is it 'understandable' to a D20 / DnD player?
Indeed it is! :)

VenomousFiligree
September 1st, 2007, 20:20
PM sent with server details

Waldo Pepper
September 1st, 2007, 20:24
Is Savage World a D20 system? Is it 'understandable' to a D20 / DnD player? I thought is was a setting, but now I'm wondering if I was thinking of Iron Throne....
Thankfully it's not a D20 system. It's much more streamlined and IMO a lot better at running fun games, especially online. It's much easier to learn and play IMO than D20.

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 20:37
Thanks Waldo.... I'll try and find my way through the review...

richvalle
September 1st, 2007, 21:08
Try looking at this as well:

https://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20Rev/TestDrive4.pdf

Its a mini version of the rules. Its somewhat vague in spots (how many points do you get for a hinderance?) but gives you an idea of how the rules work.

rv

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 21:37
My thanks, your honour...

... what is correct honourific for a marquess?

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 22:36
Hmm ... MP - what forum did you recommend joining to see the game?

VenomousFiligree
September 1st, 2007, 22:39
Hmm ... MP - what forum did you recommend joining to see the game?
See the sig. ;)

Wanderer
September 1st, 2007, 22:51
See the sig. ;)
Thanks for that

richvalle
September 2nd, 2007, 00:30
My thanks, your honour...

... what is correct honourific for a marquess?

I don't know... but I'm rather curious about what the title will change to when I hit 2000. :)

rv

Doswelk
September 2nd, 2007, 01:16
Quote from Royal Titles: A Brief History of Royalty:

The English pronunciation is "Markwiss." The wife of a Marquis is a Marchioness (pronounced "Marshuness"). Servants and lower classes would call this couple "your lordship" or "your ladyship." Fellow aristocrats would call the Marquis by his title's name, i.e., Georgette's Heyer's Marquis of Vidal, is known as Vidal. In addition to the formal use of their title, this couple might be referred to as Lord or Lady Vidal.

So the question is what are you Marquis of I wonder?:p

Wanderer
September 2nd, 2007, 01:48
Marquess Valle, yer ladyship, I be thanken' ye fer yer help, yer ladyship, an' I'll be prayin' fer yer elevation in the court...

*tugs forelock, bowing, and leave*

----------I assume that Marguess indicates female persuasion?
edited: It seems not...--------

Wanderer
September 2nd, 2007, 01:51
Try looking at this as well:

https://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20Rev/TestDrive4.pdf

Its a mini version of the rules. Its somewhat vague in spots (how many points do you get for a hinderance?) but gives you an idea of how the rules work.

rv

Well, I've read through the file. See what you mean about lacking in the specific's. Gives me a overview, but not enough to create my own characters - maybe I can get MB to help me with that, if I grab him before his next Ripper session...

richvalle
September 2nd, 2007, 03:00
(checks gender and notes, with relief that he is still male...)

Yeah, we tried to create a character and were scratching our heads a bit as well. If you were going to play a one shot-ish game just to try it you you could just grab one of the premades at the end.

rv

Tropico
September 2nd, 2007, 04:15
Welcome to FG, Wanderer, you are making an awesome choice :) In the guild House forum you'll find games to fit your style eventually, regardless of whether you wanna play Savage Worlds or d20.. though I am another that's been Savaged recently ;) If you get in the Rippers game say hi to Nikia ;) anyway, welcome.

Wanderer
September 2nd, 2007, 09:32
Thanks all.... looking forward to trying to get familiar with FG and SW. I'll definitely still be looking for a DND3/3.5E game, but hopefully I can get back into the swing of things again