PDA

View Full Version : DirectX error when using a VM

anglicangeek
September 1st, 2007, 01:55
This isn't really an FG bug, but I thought I'd post it here in case someone has seen it before. I'm running Windows Vista on a Mac via VMWare Fusion. When I click "Start" to start hosting a game, I get the following error:

---------------------------
Could not initialize DirectX
CheckDeviceType failed! Error code 16
OK

This bug also happens on Windows XP in Fusion. When I boot directly into Windows (via Boot Camp) I do not get the error.

Sigurd
September 1st, 2007, 02:16
This is a known limitation of the virtual machines - directx seems to be too close to the hardware to implemented virtually. I think it would a) require MS controlled drivers and b) not be fast enough to do in emulation.

Thats why the program has minimum reqs.

Good to hear feedback from your testing though.

Sigurd

anglicangeek
September 1st, 2007, 07:57
I understand. I've had success with other DirectX 3D applications/games in Fusion, so I was hopeful. Ah well. Thanks for the response.

anglicangeek
November 29th, 2007, 02:51
With the release of VMWare Fusion 1.1, I'm able to run Fantasy Grounds II in a virtual machine (with accelerated 3D graphics enabled). Good news for other Mac users who also use Fusion.

Sigurd
November 29th, 2007, 15:29
Very good news!

Any stumbling blocks to warn others of? Wierdnesses?

Sigurd

zgrose
April 2nd, 2008, 00:08
When I try the demo (FG 1), the dice don't appear to have a skin and I don't think any of the portraits come through. Does FGII look "ok" under Fusion 1.1.1?