PDA

View Full Version : Change options for explored parts of the map

Foreshadowing Peanuts
October 30th, 2021, 03:46
I am trying to run Strange Aeons in Pathfinder 1e. I have set up the lighting in Briarstone Asylum to look very cool and atmospheric. When in GM mode, it's just perfect.

However, when looking with player vision, the effect is ruined because the dim parts of the map which the pc has already explored just show up as gray. It seems the lighting is too dim to overcome the standard Fog of War, and so instead of looking at an eerily dim building, they're mostly just looking at a boring grayscale map.

I could swear that I've figured out how to fix this before, and retain the atmospheric look for both GM and player, but for now I'm stymied. Any tips?

Edit for clarity:

My problem isn't that the player view cannot see rooms they haven't yet explored. My problem is that the dark and shadowy parts of the map that are considered to be "dimly lit" just show up as gray "explored map", not shadowy. The atmospheric mood of the lighting is ruined by the map trying to helpfully show the player a grayed-out "fog of war" zone that's already been explored.

Effectively, when a player walks into a dimly lit room, instead of seeing shadows, they see lots of grayed out map. Shadowy parts that are not lit at all just show up as solid black shapes in the player view, without any gradual descent from lit, to dimly lit, to dark.

I am looking for some way to alter or turn off the "explored map fog of war" settings, so that the lighting quality in the player view will reflect the lighting quality in the GM view.

Further edit: As the topic title suggests, I am aware that the shadows are being replaced by the fog of war, so I'm seeking any options to eliminate or darken the fog war of display so that I can retain the shadowy/murky look of the GM view, without it washing out to the dull gray of the player view.

Final edit:
I have created a proposal for Fog-of-War to be toggleable here:
https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=137625

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2021, 09:19
Players will only see out to the limit of their light sources and to any line of sight occluders. Once they move out of an area then the fog of war is left behind. So only the bit they're in will be lit at any one time.

Foreshadowing Peanuts
October 30th, 2021, 16:47
Thank you for taking the time to reply, Zacchaeus!

My problem isn't that the player view does not show rooms the player hasn't yet explored. That's how I like it. My problem is that the dark and shadowy parts of the map that are considered to be "dimly lit" just show up as gray "explored map", not shadowy. The atmospheric mood of the lighting is ruined by the map trying to helpfully show the player a grayed-out "fog of war" zone that's already been explored.

Effectively, when a player walks into a dimly lit room, instead of seeing shadows, they see lots of grayed out map. Shadowy parts that are not lit at all just show up as solid black shapes in the player view, without any gradual descent from lit, to dimly lit, to dark.

A few months ago, I ran a different campaign, and wrangled with this same issue. I think I managed to find an option to make player view reflect the same lighting quality as GM view, without turning the whole immediately-visible part of the map into a dull, gray "fog of war" zone. If so, I can't remember how I did it.

Zacchaeus
October 30th, 2021, 17:27
As I say, once the players have explored an area then that area is in the fog of war showing they have explored it. Also when a player with a light source enters a room - or has special vision then the shadows or whatever will get over written by that light or vision - which is kinda what's supposed to happen. It's pretty much been that way since day one so I'm not sure what you did before.

Foreshadowing Peanuts
October 30th, 2021, 17:40
Are there any options to tweak how fog of war displays then, or at least to make it a darker gray? If the grayed-out fog of war effectively removes the ability to have shadows within a player's line-of-sight, because those shadows will be replaced by a perfectly visible and boring gray map, then the lighting system seems largely irrelevant, because nothing but total darkness can obscure any features of the map within line-of sight, and I could accomplish that with masking.

Maybe I hadn't solved the problem before. As I said, I can't really remember and neither can my players. But it seems like a shame if there are no options to prioritize atmospheric and spooky lighting over a subjectively unnecessary fog of war. C'mon man! It's Halloween! :ogre:

Edit: The torches overwriting the shadows is exactly what I'd like to have happen. But absent torches or special vision, I'm hoping to retain the murky, shadowy, subjectively spooky look.

Moon Wizard
October 30th, 2021, 18:15
We've talked about allowing an option to turn off fog-of-war and it's on our list to consider for future updates. Otherwise, there is no way to show "exact lighting" of maps as long as fog-of-war exists at all, since they have to merge somehow.

Regards,
JPG

Foreshadowing Peanuts
October 30th, 2021, 18:29
Thank you very much for the response. I'll keep tweaking my own settings in the vain hope that I can stumble across whatever I think I did that addressed it in the past. In the meanwhile, I'll add my fervent request to the devs to allow tweaking, or at least switching-off, of the fog-of-war.

Foreshadowing Peanuts
November 1st, 2021, 03:09
I've created a proposal for Fog-of-War to be toggleable here:
https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=137625