PDA

View Full Version : Constant crashing on start-up

darkivel
August 31st, 2007, 22:28
This has been going on to some degree since I switched to FG II, but it has gotten worse and worse over time.

When I open the program and click on "Host game as GM", it thinks about it for a while, then gives me the "FantasyGrounds.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error. If I keep trying to open it, eventually one of the tries will work. Once the program is open, it works just fine.

I don't think it's an error in my ruleset, since FG will eventually open. It seems to be completely random.

I'm happy to give any information that might be helpful in debugging this, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Thore_Ironrock
August 31st, 2007, 23:23
This has been going on to some degree since I switched to FG II, but it has gotten worse and worse over time.

When I open the program and click on "Host game as GM", it thinks about it for a while, then gives me the "FantasyGrounds.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error. If I keep trying to open it, eventually one of the tries will work. Once the program is open, it works just fine.

I don't think it's an error in my ruleset, since FG will eventually open. It seems to be completely random.

I'm happy to give any information that might be helpful in debugging this, but I'm not sure what that would be.

I had a problem like this in BETA testing. In the end I had to uninstall both versions off my system and just reinstall FGII. That would be my suggestion.

Hope it helps!

richvalle
September 1st, 2007, 02:59
Try removing the modulestate.xml file from the FGII/campains/(name) directory and then start it up.

Hope that helps.

rv

acmer
September 1st, 2007, 07:06
Sometimes it does that to me too. My cure is to delete the latest portrait(s) from the campaign folder ((campaignname)/portraits). I haven't tried starting the app several times in a row though.

It's a crappy cure, but someone might find it helpful :)

darkivel
September 1st, 2007, 19:45
I have tried deleting the modulestate file, but that doesn't seem to help. I'll try the portrait thing.

I discovered, after a long string of failures to load, if I load the example campaign first, it comes up fine, then my campaign will load on the next restart. It's a strange things, since I would think if there's something actually bugged with my campaign, it wouldn't start at all.

Running a session tonight, but I'll try a full uninstall and reinstall tomorrow. Thanks, all!

Barbara

richvalle
September 2nd, 2007, 01:21
Hmmm

You can try removing/renaming the CampaignRegistry.lua file as well.

Hope you find something that works!

rv