PDA

View Full Version : BECMI Extension for OSE2

Xorn
October 27th, 2021, 05:13
Now that we have a subforum for the ruleset, here is my BECMI extension which changes the following:

* Adds spell slots for up to 9th level spells to the character sheet, and changed the spell cycler to "Clerical/Druidic/Magical".
* Changes level cap to 36 for Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Druid. Dwarf (22), Elf (20), Halfling (18), Mystic (16) are set for cap + attack ranks.
* Changed the Type/Subtype dropdowns for Items to align with Rules Cyclopedia categories.

****removed extension from thread as it is woefully outdated and is not required to play BECMI using OSE2 ruleset any longer. You may select BECMI options in the options menu.****-- Thanks Bayne

bayne7400
October 27th, 2021, 11:45
Well done

Xorn
October 27th, 2021, 19:32

Finished my Rules Cyclopedia library module as well (including working treasure tables), so my group is set for some old-fashioned BECMI goodness.

damned
October 27th, 2021, 21:20
Huzzah! Well done Xorn and of course Bayne for the OSE base.

vegaserik
October 27th, 2021, 22:36
Nice

JohnD
October 28th, 2021, 15:40
Sweet!

dearestleader
January 21st, 2023, 16:18
Hey there. I'm running v4.3.2 Ultimate (2022-12-11). I've dropped the ext file in the extensions folder but I'm not seeing it listed under extensions under the Create Campaign or Load Campaign window. Does it auto load without having to enable it?

Trenloe
January 21st, 2023, 18:24
Hey there. I'm running v4.3.2 Ultimate (2022-12-11). I've dropped the ext file in the extensions folder but I'm not seeing it listed under extensions under the Create Campaign or Load Campaign window. Does it auto load without having to enable it?
No extensions auto load without enabling them.

In this case the issue was that the extension file wasn't created properly. Try this one (attached).

dearestleader
January 21st, 2023, 18:29
Confirmed it's showing now. Thanks for fixing!

bayne7400
May 13th, 2023, 14:36
dearestleader

You should not need an extension to run a BECMI game anymore. If you see something I missed in the base game please let me know.

GavinRuneblade
January 16th, 2024, 01:53
dearestleader

You should not need an extension to run a BECMI game anymore. If you see something I missed in the base game please let me know.
Quick questions from the base game (rules cyclopedia at any rate), apoloiesif I'm missing something obvious as I'm still exploring. How do you propose is the best way to implement the advanced class changes. Meaning at level 9 a fighter can become a paladin or a knight, and a cleric can become a druid. Is the best way to make multiple classes and duplicate the cleric 1-9 and implement druid from 10+, calling this "druid"; and another one that is cleric 1-36 called "cleric"? I assume it's the same answer for the shaman and wokani for humanoids but in case there's another way to do it?
Separately, when characters' hit chance goes negative and they get bonus damage on a hit, is there a way to implement that, or just do it manually? I assume manual but wanted to check there wasn't something I was missing.

The level field for classes on the data tab doesn't take letters, so how does the implementation of demihuman attack ranks work? Just convert to levels and put a note in the description is what I'm going with, but is there something obvious I'm missing? Like for a dwarf I'm calling attack rank D level 13, and for an Elf attack rank D is level 11; unless there's another way to do it?

On the list of automated abilities, demihumans get automatic half damage from certain effects, quarter damage with successful saves at certain levels. Is there a way to automate this, or is it just manually restoring HP after the spell or whatever?

Last from the base game, how would you implement weapon mastery? Make skilled, expert, etc. versions of the weapons as items with the higher damage values? That seems the easiest way but curious if you have another idea.

And some that are not from the base game, but I'm hoping you have good ideas on it. What about the Merchant Prince, which is a multiclass basically? And what about Night Howlers where lycanthropes have two separate levels and sets of stats in wereform and humanoid form? I'm assuming two character sheets, but not sure if you think there's a better way. I don't suppose there's a way to mark the negative levels for some monster classes by their names or to have them have the negative levels? I'm assuming just adjust so they go over 36 by an amount it otherwise would be negative, so kobolds and goblins have normal monster (level 0) for their first level, and thus go to level 37 at the top end, while a bugbear has -2, -1, and 0 so goes to level 39. Again, unless there's another way to actually show the negative levels?

For the Glantri secret schools of magic, aka specializations, how would you implement those for a character? BECMi has a lot of ways to spend exp and weird class options.

That's a lot sorry to bombard you with questions. And thank you for the great extension!

bayne7400
January 16th, 2024, 02:52
Make a separate class record for each one.

Weaponmastery is in just turn it on in options menu.

For demi humans I do it exactly as you suggest. Just make it a number.

For glantri add a power for the circle on the spells tab. Clicking the edit button you can edit the name in the header.

When you roll damage you can right click to half it in the chat box. The save will have it again which gives your a quarter. Just drag it from chat.

Expert etc with weapons is just like weapons mastery turn it on

Have you messed around with the ruleset yet?

GavinRuneblade
January 16th, 2024, 07:37
Make a separate class record for each one.

For demi humans I do it exactly as you suggest. Just make it a number.

For glantri add a power for the circle on the spells tab. Clicking the edit button you can edit the name in the header.
Awesome, thanks! I was looking on the front page of the character sheet or as a multiclass.

When you roll damage you can right click to half it in the chat box. The save will have it again which gives your a quarter. Just drag it from chat. Got an error (with no extensions loaded) "script execution error: [strong "OSE2:scripts/manager effectOSE.lua"]:683: attempt to index local 'sSub' (a nil value)". Thanks for this I am not used to clicking in chat except for copying text, not to manipulate numbers.

Weaponmastery is in just turn it on in options menu.

Expert etc with weapons is just like weapons mastery turn it on

Have you messed around with the ruleset yet? Only a little. Getting the classes in since the default has the OSE versions which are subtly different from Rules Cyclopedia, but I've made a few characters and did a test combat, but there's a lot of things I've not gotten to yet. I did see and enjoy that it knows the context for +/- modifications so a +3 gets added to hit and subtracted from a skill check correctly. That was nice. I didn't find all the options you mentioned though, like weapon mastery is it maybe called "weapon proficiency", I think that's just the optional rule from OSE itself? I see that adds a field, but within the field I can only add fixed attack/damage mods, and text. Is there syntax to copy that will actually modify the weapons? If it is a separate option, I don't see "weapon mastery" in the options list; specifically how to have one PC with basic proficiency do d4 with their dagger and the next PC who is skilled do d6, etc. The only way I could find to do that is to modify the item as it appears in inventory. Hence my asking if there's another way or another place.

bayne7400
January 16th, 2024, 12:22
Can you provide the exact steps that gave that error please?

Go to abilities tab weapon proficiency and click the sub menu

sevenn
January 16th, 2024, 20:36
Apologies for necro/highjacking but I get similar issues as Gavin when futzing with tokens, maps, or even just opening sheets at times. Nothing has caused any real issues, but the error popups are persistent throughout hours of play for both myself and players. My only real solution for them is having everyone type "/console skip" in the chatbox whenever they join.

I've spent well over 40 hours in the past two weeks using OP's extension and your OSE ruleset, bayne7400. I'm happy to enter most of the crap myself (class tables, spells, etc.) but I've been able to play B/X wonderfully with two different groups using your work. Thank you for all of your hard work, everyone. It's been the most fun I've had in years with tabletop. If you want me to send the errors I can do so when I'm home.

bayne7400
January 16th, 2024, 20:39
So the extension here is way out of date and is not required to play a RC game. My last game was using RC rules. The extension in this thread will give you tons of errors. My advice is to not use this extension as it is completely unneeded.

If you unload the extension, I definately want to see the errors. if you post in Discord or PM the screenshots that would be fantastic.

Edit: I added an image from my RC game to show you guys a few things.

GavinRuneblade
January 21st, 2024, 18:37
Can you provide the exact steps that gave that error please?

Go to abilities tab weapon proficiency and click the sub menu

I'm looking but I don't see anyway to make it work. Like I said before all I can do is add the hit and damage as fixed values. There's a field for syntax, but I can't tell what to add to make anything actually change the dagger from d4 to deal d6. However, I can make a dagger with d6 damage as an item. If there is syntax to use, where can I find it? If not what am I missing?

bayne7400
January 21st, 2024, 19:15
Character Sheet abilities tab. Bottom section is weapon proficiency. Open the submenu. Make sure you have "weapon proficency" set to yes in options menu