PDA

View Full Version : [extension] Encumbrance Tweak Extension

bratch9
October 22nd, 2021, 11:12
B9's Encumbrance Tweak on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/315/view)
bratch9 profile on Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/89/view-profile)

RULESET : 5E

This extension is designed to allow adjustment to the normal STR *5, *10, *15, *30 values, creature size and other factors of the encumbrance calculation.

It provides a configuration window on the host sidebar that allows these values to be modified and will update all the characters encumbrance values.

Also includes the ability to have per-character setting for these values, which is enabled with an 'Edit' button on the host view of the character sheet.

Added support for,
Aspect Of The Bear, By Bratch Nine (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327023/Fantasy-Grounds-Aspect-Of-The-Bear-extension)
5E Auto Encumbrance, By John Waite, Rob Twohy (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/358511/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Auto-Encumbrance)
Kit'N'Kaboodle, By MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/41/view)
5E - Floating Character Sheet Tabs, By ScriedRaven (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/434/view)
Better Menus, By celestian (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/69/view)

Version Releases.
1.6 - Updated to try and stop ghost chat messages from 5E Auto Encumbrance.
1.5 - Updated for changes in mattekure's 5E Auto Encumbrance.
1.4 - Updated due to 'ruleset' changes.
1.3 - Updated for the new 'ruleset' version of 'Aspect of the Bear' code changes.
1.2 - Added support for "better menus" and "floating tabs"
1.1 - Added additional compatibility with mattekure's 5E Auto Encumbrance.
1.0 - Added 'additional' encumbrance control values.
0.2 - Added creature size, 'Powerful Build' and 'Aspect Of The Bear' values adjustment.
0.1 - Initial release with support for normal STR *5, *10, *15, *30 values adjustment.

BushViper
October 23rd, 2021, 04:38
I just picked this up and it seems to do exactly what it purports to do.

Good work.

BushViper
November 4th, 2021, 19:20
This extension was updated to take in to account the size of the creature and also the Powerful Build trait. So, it offers a lot of flexibility for groups that observe encumbrance rules and there's no reason not to on a VTT where it's all taken care of automatically.

Fantastic work.

Now, we only need an option for non-biped creatures. 4-legged+ creatures can carry a lot more than bi-peds!

BushViper
November 5th, 2021, 19:08
I've been testing this some more and I've finally run in to a problem.

Everything works extremely well for PCs, but for NPCs, tweaking their encumbrance values isn't taking. However, I need to do some extensive testing to see if it's a conflict with another extension.

bratch9
November 5th, 2021, 21:10
I've been testing this some more and I've finally run in to a problem.

Everything works extremely well for PCs, but for NPCs, tweaking their encumbrance values isn't taking. However, I need to do some extensive testing to see if it's a conflict with another extension.

I dont do any thing for NPC, unless it calls the normal character calculations in the back ground.

Do you have a test campaign you could attach/upload that has a PC,NPC, some non-biped and 4 legged mix. I need to take a look to see if these already have traits that allow me to spot the type ( and a note if you added anything to mark this or not already etc.. )

Thanks, Pete

[edit: just done a quick 5e ruleset check, and I dont see encubrance for NPC, is this from a different mod ? or something... what location are you looking on npc for this.. ]

BushViper
November 6th, 2021, 16:11
[edit: just done a quick 5e ruleset check, and I dont see encubrance for NPC, is this from a different mod ? or something... what location are you looking on npc for this.. ]

It must be another extension if you're not seeing it. I'm not 100% sure which one it is (but I'm confident it's 1 of 3 that I have in mind). I'll see if I can nail down exactly which one is adding the functionality to NPC sheets.

bratch9
November 8th, 2021, 05:31
It must be another extension if you're not seeing it. I'm not 100% sure which one it is (but I'm confident it's 1 of 3 that I have in mind). I'll see if I can nail down exactly which one is adding the functionality to NPC sheets.

Release V1.0 which should resolve this issue.

Let me know if you have any problems with it etc.

-pete

BushViper
November 8th, 2021, 06:01

-pete

The conflict was corrected AND you implemented all the functionality I could have asked for.

The work you've done meets absolutely every need I (and probably everyone else) had in regard to encumbrance.

Thanks again.

For those of you needing a more robust extension that allows you to completely customize encumbrance values -- this is it.

bratch9
November 8th, 2021, 11:04
The conflict was corrected AND you implemented all the functionality I could have asked for.

The work you've done meets absolutely every need I (and probably everyone else) had in regard to encumbrance.

Thanks again.

For those of you needing a more robust extension that allows you to completely customize encumbrance values -- this is it.

Thanks for the feedback.

It was interesting playing with Kit'N'Kaboodle, because I wanted the dynamic changes to show on NPC that were not even on the combat tracker... So you can go in to NPC use 'Kit' to give it some default equipment and can set a custom encumbrance set for that NPC in the module. Then when you drag it to the combat tracker, these values for kit and encumbrance values get moved over and you can then do local changes to that specific NPC on the combat tracker.

Trying to make sure everything keeps updated either with its personal version of encumbrance or the global settings was a bit of a pain to get consistent. ( And I might have missed the odd case. )

On top of this, I've also made sure NPC on the combat tracker also get the 'Auto encumbrance' effect(s) as well. ( Not sure if you spotted that.. )

With this, even at worse case, you could set personal encumbrance and set all the multipliers to '1' and just use the 'additional' parts to the values you want.

Let me know if you find any other issues/conflicts/extensions that change stuff I might need to add support for.

-pete

BushViper
November 8th, 2021, 17:03
On top of this, I've also made sure NPC on the combat tracker also get the 'Auto encumbrance' effect(s) as well. ( Not sure if you spotted that.. )

With this, even at worse case, you could set personal encumbrance and set all the multipliers to '1' and just use the 'additional' parts to the values you want.

Let me know if you find any other issues/conflicts/extensions that change stuff I might need to add support for.

-pete

Yep, I did notice it. I'm glad you were able to integrate support for that ext in to your own as auto-encumbrance is an important piece of my extension suite.

BushViper
March 18th, 2022, 19:52

-pete

In the last day or so, this extension has stopped calculating any additional encumbrance allowance on individual character sheets between log ins. It's possible for to get it to work, but it has to be fixed every log in.

bratch9
March 18th, 2022, 21:00
In the last day or so, this extension has stopped calculating any additional encumbrance allowance on individual character sheets between log ins. It's possible for to get it to work, but it has to be fixed every log in.

Yep the latest ruleset has changed how encumbrance is calculated, the ruleset changes a number of things in the makeup of the character sheet.

I noticed this when I checked the changes earlier today. Just not had any time to look over these changes.

-pete

bratch9
March 19th, 2022, 17:40
v1.4 now released with fixes caused by the change in ruleset code.

BushViper
May 5th, 2022, 12:30
Still loving the extension, but there's been a persistent issue since the last major ruleset change. Your extension works, but when coupled with the auto encumbrance extension there is an intermittent issue with encumbrance calculation.

Let me try to illustrate.

For context - 5e game.

I have a character that I have given an additional 5 lbs of weight limit to in the encumbrance section. Normally, the limit is 55lbs (11 STR), but with your ext the new allowance is 60lbs. At 55lbs (or greater) the chat window states that the character is encumbered (auto encumbrance message, I'm sure), but in the combat tracker the character is not encumbered and rarely the character will be encumbered for short periods, but I cannot identify the trigger for what causes it to happen and remedy itself.

In sum, I think there is still a small issue between the two extensions.

bratch9
May 5th, 2022, 13:40
Still loving the extension, but there's been a persistent issue since the last major ruleset change. Your extension works, but when coupled with the auto encumbrance extension there is an intermittent issue with encumbrance calculation.

For context - 5e game.

I have a character that I have given an additional 5 lbs of weight limit to in the encumbrance section. Normally, the limit is 55lbs (11 STR), but with your ext the new allowance is 60lbs. At 55lbs (or greater) the chat window states that the character is encumbered (auto encumbrance message, I'm sure), but in the combat tracker the character is not encumbered and rarely the character will be encumbered for short periods, but I cannot identify the trigger for what causes it to happen and remedy itself.

I can well imagine this sort of thing. I updated encumbrance tweak a while ago when the ruleset changed, and noticed that the auto encumbrance had not been updated. Then forgot all about it !!!

My guess is that auto encumbrance has now been updated, and the encumbrance tweak has to call different update/link function into the auto encumbrance.

I've added it to my todo list to check... but I've been busy with work, so not had a lot of time on extension over the last month or so..

-pete

bratch9
May 20th, 2022, 21:21

For context - 5e game.

v1.5 now released with some updated based on changes to auto encumbrance.

I could not replicate your intermittent issue, so please see if this update clears that up or not. I've added a check for when the option encumbrance variant mode is changed, just in case this allowed auto encumbrance to update while not been refreshed with encumbrance tweak updates. ( So maybe it was this, but I can not imagine you changing this on the fly in the game... )

I guess you will need to keep an eye and see if 'do something' and see it not have the effect on the CT. Note auto encumbrance only outputs text if it 'adds' the effect, so some other extension might be removing the effect.. Or maybe a player removed it by manual. And then changed an item and it re-added it as the character weight changed ?

With such little information, its only guess work, it could be a fault at auto encumbrance level and a different extension interaction with clearing effects. I just dont know.

BushViper
May 21st, 2022, 17:29
v1.5 now released with some updated based on changes to auto encumbrance.

I could not replicate your intermittent issue, so please see if this update clears that up or not. I've added a check for when the option encumbrance variant mode is changed, just in case this allowed auto encumbrance to update while not been refreshed with encumbrance tweak updates. ( So maybe it was this, but I can not imagine you changing this on the fly in the game... )

I guess you will need to keep an eye and see if 'do something' and see it not have the effect on the CT. Note auto encumbrance only outputs text if it 'adds' the effect, so some other extension might be removing the effect.. Or maybe a player removed it by manual. And then changed an item and it re-added it as the character weight changed ?

With such little information, its only guess work, it could be a fault at auto encumbrance level and a different extension interaction with clearing effects. I just dont know.

I genuinely appreciate you working towards fixing the issue and I wish I could be of more help because I know troubleshooting can be supremely frustrating. Particularly when the problem isn't clear. I'm really not sure how else to help pin down the problem, but I can provide a bit more visual evidence and see if that helps.

Marker 1. Shows the character as encumbered in the chat box
Marker 2. Shows the additional encumbrance value that I have given the character using your extension.
Marker 3. Marker 3 shows the inventory sheet registering the custom change to the encumbrance value.
Marker 4. Shows that the character is not encumbered in the combat tracker.

bratch9
May 21st, 2022, 19:30
I genuinely appreciate you working towards fixing the issue and I wish I could be of more help because I know troubleshooting can be supremely frustrating. Particularly when the problem isn't clear. I'm really not sure how else to help pin down the problem, but I can provide a bit more visual evidence and see if that helps.

Marker 2. Shows the additional encumbrance value that I have given the character using your extension.
Marker 3. Marker 3 shows the inventory sheet registering the custom change to the encumbrance value.

I see the numbers but your characters has an encumbers limit of 60, and current of 57, so its not encumbered... which is shown in the CT as no-effect.

So the CT is correct, and the application of weight is correct.

The 'effects' in the chat window, only show when an effect is 'added' and not when removed. The issue is that when the system updates 'encumbered' value in character this causes 'effect revalidation in the auto encumbrance', then when the system updates 'heavy' this changes a value and causes 'effect revalidation in the auto encumbrance' etc... because it not possible to set '4 variables' at once... you end up with 4 'updates' to the 'auto encumbrance'... in this case it 'passes' through a state that 'add the effect encumbered' and then as other values were been updated the auto effect realises it does not have encumbrance... and so removes it off the CT...

I'll take a look but this would probably require some feedback into 'auto encumbrance' to force it to evaluate at a specfic location... But I'll take a look to see if I can drive that from my extension side.

Hope this clears this up, and hope ive got the issue you are having correct in my head ?

-pete

BushViper
May 21st, 2022, 19:49
I see the numbers but your characters has an encumbers limit of 60, and current of 57, so its not encumbered... which is shown in the CT as no-effect.

The 'effects' in the chat window, only show when an effect is 'added' and not when removed. The issue is that when the system updates 'encumbered' value in character this causes 'effect revalidation in the auto encumbrance', then when the system updates 'heavy' this changes a value and causes 'effect revalidation in the auto encumbrance' etc... because it not possible to set '4 variables' at once... you end up with 4 'updates' to the 'auto encumbrance'... in this case it 'passes' through a state that 'add the effect encumbered' and then as other values were been updated the auto effect realises it does not have encumbrance... and so removes it off the CT...

I'll take a look but this would probably require some feedback into 'auto encumbrance' to force it to evaluate at a specfic location... But I'll take a look to see if I can drive that from my extension side.

Hope this clears this up, and hope ive got the issue you are having correct in my head ?

-pete

Ya, I understand. Generally, the 'bug' is only very minor annoyance, but occasionally something happens that causes the additional encumbrance (enabled by your extension) to be ignored and then the character does get encumbered. I know that doesn't help and I apologize, but I know even less about the interactions than you do.

Usually, these issues only surface when I first load FG. After which, I'll typically re-apply the additional encumbrance value via your extension and there aren't any further problems for that session.

Don't devote a lot of time to this if you don't particularly care about it because it really is a very minor issue, I really just wanted you to be aware of it in case you decided to later build on the idea only to find out that the foundation had a crack in it.

BushViper
May 21st, 2022, 19:54

-pete

I just realized I didn't answer your question - The chat message in my screenshot pops up when I first log in and then open the character sheet the first time.

bratch9
May 21st, 2022, 23:08
I just realized I didn't answer your question - The chat message in my screenshot pops up when I first log in and then open the character sheet the first time.

That would be because the character sheet opens, it refreshes the values as it does onInit etc..

I'll set it up and see if I can replicate it, which I probably can, and see if I can adjust the update functions on my extension to call into auto encumbered in a slight different way.

-pete

edit: My guess would be as the character initialised, the auto encumbrance looks at the values and sets it as encumbered, then my extension updates them with the correction.. which removes it from the CT.. but obviously it passed via encumbered and showed the message. As my extension loads after the other I might not be able to resolve this... as if I move my extension to be first, then the auto encumbrance may well just 'stop' my extension setting the required values. If that is clear or not etc...

bratch9
May 22nd, 2022, 12:19

Released an update,

Give it a go and see if you are happy with this version. If you spot any more edge cases like these, feel free to let me know as I do like to correct issues people are having.

Thanks,
-pete

BushViper
May 22nd, 2022, 16:23
Released an update,

Give it a go and see if you are happy with this version. If you spot any more edge cases like these, feel free to let me know as I do like to correct issues people are having.

Thanks,
-pete

Your patch seems to have fixed the issues I was having.

Thank you.

nephranka
May 31st, 2022, 18:21
I just picked this one up and it worked right out of the box. Great work as usual! Thanks!

bratch9
May 31st, 2022, 19:33
I just picked this one up and it worked right out of the box. Great work as usual! Thanks!

You are welcome, if you spot any issues or see any conflicts or extensions its not working with etc... Just post the info and I'll take a look.

-pete

bratch9
September 7th, 2023, 13:27
v2.0 updated to reflect changed to ruleset inventory max/drag box sizes.

ObiTonyKenobi
March 8th, 2024, 17:39
This was working perfectly until the Fantasy Grounds v4.5 update. Now, if this extension is active any NPC I open is blank, a window will pop up with the NPC's name but no other info is shown. I set up a new campaign with only Common Core v0.1a and Encumbrance Tweak v2.0 running and I have the same issue. If I just have Common Core v0.1a running, NPCs show up fine.

bratch9
March 8th, 2024, 20:49
This was working perfectly until the Fantasy Grounds v4.5 update. Now, if this extension is active any NPC I open is blank, a window will pop up with the NPC's name but no other info is shown. I set up a new campaign with only Common Core v0.1a and Encumbrance Tweak v2.0 running and I have the same issue. If I just have Common Core v0.1a running, NPCs show up fine.

I dont seem to have this issue, mine looks fine on v4.5 with the v2.0 extensions.

Could you attach some screen shots, and check if 'console' is reporting any errors. ( Or use the 'compile logs' button on the console window and attach those for me to look at ? )

Thanks, Pete

GavinRuneblade
March 9th, 2024, 18:03

I dont seem to have this issue, mine looks fine on v4.5 with the v2.0 extensions.

Could you attach some screen shots, and check if 'console' is reporting any errors. ( Or use the 'compile logs' button on the console window and attach those for me to look at ? )

Thanks, Pete

60093 Hope this works, I have loaded a campaign with only three of your extensions (core, encumbrance, and dpr) which you can verify in the chat on the left. An NPC is opened and it is completely blank, doesn't even have the fields like it should have if it was full of zeros.

I did not get any error messages upon loading into the campaign.

If it helps with debugging, every extension I have that changes a character sheet tab is broken now. So friendzone adds a companion tab that's broken. Kingdoms and Warfare has units and cohorts that's broken. etc. Ones that change chat, display things, etc. are all working fine.

bratch9
March 9th, 2024, 19:25
60093 Hope this works, I have loaded a campaign with only three of your extensions (core, encumbrance, and dpr) which you can verify in the chat on the left. An NPC is opened and it is completely blank, doesn't even have the fields like it should have if it was full of zeros.

If it helps with debugging, every extension I have that changes a character sheet tab is broken now. So friendzone adds a companion tab that's broken. Kingdoms and Warfare has units and cohorts that's broken. etc. Ones that change chat, display things, etc. are all working fine.

Looking between the 2 screen shots, we are on the same FG version, but different rulesets. I'm not on my normal dev machine, so will have to look into why the ruleset versions are different as it looks like my laptop is did not fully update for some reason on my previous test.

-pete

bratch9
March 9th, 2024, 23:10

I've replicated the blank NPC with the extension. ( I had a very old unzipped version of 5e/core ruleset on my laptop, which now removed uses the correct new versions with the 2.5 view system... )

I'm not sure why all the other tab extensions also have issue, probably a very strange merge with the NPC window changes to allow for the 2.5D 'token' split.

I'll take a look on monday.

-pete

bratch9
March 11th, 2024, 22:40
v2.1 release, this fixes issues for the 4.5.0 FGU update and adds extra controls for 'little giant' and 'hippo build' that has been added to the ruleset.

-pete

GavinRuneblade
March 16th, 2024, 18:00
v2.1 release, this fixes issues for the 4.5.0 FGU update and adds extra controls for 'little giant' and 'hippo build' that has been added to the ruleset.

-pete

Works for me, thank you for the quick fix!