PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Urban Fantasy one shot on 8-31

GoOrange
August 31st, 2007, 03:47
Hey everyone! Having just picked up the SW ruleset, I'm eager to try it out.

I've written an adventure for an urban fantasy setting. I'd like to run a one shot for 2-4 players on Friday, 8/31/07 around 11 am EDT. This will be my first time running Savage Worlds and my first time running something with FG2.

I've spent a decent amount of time photoshopping some maps and getting tokens ready, so don't let my hard work go to waste!

Post here if you're interested!

Blahness98
August 31st, 2007, 07:46
I'm interested, but I don't think I'll be up in time..

GoOrange
August 31st, 2007, 15:59
Apparently not a good time to spring something last minute...

Any interest for:
Saturday daytime - noon EDT
Sunday evening - 9pm EDT
Monday daytime - noon EDT

ProfMarks
August 31st, 2007, 21:28
I'm lurking around this afternoon for a couple hours if someone wants to try something out

pjrake
August 31st, 2007, 21:33
i'll be around all day tomorrow. email me at [email protected]

eager to try it :)

glacius
August 31st, 2007, 22:10
I am defiantely in if u guys want to play I am gmt -5

GoOrange
September 1st, 2007, 14:05
I'll probably be around today, Saturday, sometime around 12-5pm EDT/

glacius
September 1st, 2007, 16:01
cool let me know if we are doing it today so i can schedule.

pjrake
September 1st, 2007, 16:31
i'll be home tonight only :( probably after 9pm ET. if anyone is still around i would like to join.

you can email me at [email protected]. if not, maybe i can just sit and watch. thanks.

-PJ

GoOrange
September 1st, 2007, 17:12
Anyone else around and interested in starting soon?

glacius
September 1st, 2007, 17:24
I am ready just let me know maybe we can just do characters

get familiar with things

GoOrange
September 1st, 2007, 17:29
Server is up - I'll PM people with the login info.

Tropico
September 1st, 2007, 17:30
Hey I happen to have some time to toss around.. if you have the slot and you send me the server, I'd like to jump in :)

Blahness98
September 1st, 2007, 17:32
I managed to get up in time.. Soif you need another let me know... I am a newbie with this system however..

glacius
September 1st, 2007, 17:46
thankis i am connected now but it is kind of slow

GoOrange
September 1st, 2007, 23:12
Thanks to the guys who showed up. I had fun.

We managed to get about 1/3 of the way through what I had planned. A second session can be scheduled if we can agree on a time.

If any players have any comments, compliments, complaints or anything else to say about the GM, the scenario, FG, or the SW ruleset, I'd like to hear them!

A few things I noticed:

- Takes quite a while to get everyone connected. With 4 players, it probably took about 15 minutes for them to download all the data.

- I didn't "force load for players" any books, however the players guide was listed as "available". At least one player who said he had the ruleset locally was unable to bring up the library.

- Character generation took quite a while without people being able to see the ruleset (see the above comment). Next time I should have people generate characters ahead of time, or have more pregens ready.

- The combat tracker shows the name of NPCs to players, and also shows the parry and toughness. I'd like to hide this info from the players. (Perhaps the NPC is in disguise, I don't want to use the name shown on the NPC sheet. Also, I like keeping stats hidden at the beginning at least).

- If players put their own tokens on the map, I couldn't resize them. Only if I dragged tokens from the combat tracker onto the map could I resize them with the combat tracker.

Overall, I'd consider it a success and a good learning experience for everyone.

glacius
September 2nd, 2007, 01:13
Yeah it was very enjoyable and i liked the system. Ready to schedule the next

Blahness98
September 2nd, 2007, 01:51
Yeah it was a fun system. Sorry I had to jet early, but I was having fun.

Tropico
September 2nd, 2007, 04:42
Oh, most definitely a success :) tons of fun, especially my own character who was very far from what I usually play.

Definitely a 'learning' session too, some of us were learning the SW system, others learning the ruleset, others were new to PnP altogether, etc. I think we all got a lot out of it.

From what I've seen in so far when you go for a one-shot it's almost necessary to 'jump in' the middle of the action and keep the pace pretty brisk. So when I saw us spending most of our time on the info gathering at the docks, I did suspect we would get cut off early. But having said that, it was loads of fun anyways :D and you handled the NPCs excellently and also ran the 'party splitting up and doing different things' parts very smoothly indeed.

As to the combat, we were all new to the SW combat tracker and I'm sure we'll be way faster with it next session (which I am totally up for ;) ) I was impressed with the whole 'cards' mechanic though.

Blahness98
September 2nd, 2007, 07:09
I still like the part where I BSed being part of the port authority. That was fun.

Waldo Pepper
September 2nd, 2007, 09:05
IMO, pregens are almost mandatory for one-shot or pick-up games: Otherwise you eat up an enormous amount of time making characters.

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 13:13
IMO, pregens are almost mandatory for one-shot or pick-up games: Otherwise you eat up an enormous amount of time making characters.

Yes, after this I would agree wholeheartedly. For any sort of one-shot, pregens are the way to go. It's easy enough to tweak a few things on the fly if players want to customize them a bit.

Still, it was a valuable learning exercise to go through the process of character generation. I have a little better idea of what pitfalls may lie ahead for next time.

One big thing is that if players don't have their own copy of the ruleset, they won't be able to see the character creation rules like skill lists, edges, hindrances, and gear. If they don't have the actual book at home, it makes chargen a bit tricky - just something to plan for. Fortunately with SW this is pretty easy.

GoOrange
September 2nd, 2007, 13:18
From what I've seen in so far when you go for a one-shot it's almost necessary to 'jump in' the middle of the action and keep the pace pretty brisk. So when I saw us spending most of our time on the info gathering at the docks, I did suspect we would get cut off early.

Yeah, if I'm going to run a one shot again, I'll definitely work on the pacing a bit, and cut down on the "legwork". Still, the role-playing part was fun, and that maybe why I dragged it out a bit longer than was necessary. You're right though for one shots, dropping right into the action is the way to go.

Glad to hear everyone had fun. If there are some times people are available within the next week, let me know and we can schedule part two.

Tropico
September 2nd, 2007, 14:47
One big thing is that if players don't have their own copy of the ruleset, they won't be able to see the character creation rules like skill lists, edges, hindrances, and gear. If they don't have the actual book at home, it makes chargen a bit tricky - just something to plan for. Fortunately with SW this is pretty easy.

Hey GoOrange/Waldo/everyone take a look at this (https://www.sharkbytes.info/download.php?view.57)!!

I won't explain what it is so you can be pleasantly surprised ;) But suffice to say I used it with a couple friends last night for a quick face-to-face skirmish where real character creation was just not worth it, and it turned out a blast and a half.

With a little creative use of image sharing and tokens (for the chips) this could be the ideal way to get newbie people making characters on the fly and quickly! Anyway just an idea ;) obviously some ready-to-go pregens would be the de-facto plan B.

glacius
September 2nd, 2007, 17:23
Yeah that is cool. Would have help me alot.

?

GoOrange
September 3rd, 2007, 12:59
I'm around all day today if people are interested in part 2.

I'll be available: 10am-5pm EDT (GMT-4)

glacius
September 3rd, 2007, 13:06
So am I, you guys set up a time and I can be there

Tropico
September 3rd, 2007, 16:22
sadly im on a heavy work day today, but by all means feel free to go on without me with Kurosawa as an NPC or absent or any way you like :)

Andugus
September 3rd, 2007, 17:41
Send me an email if you have an opening. I am available this labor day.

[email protected]

Blahness98
September 3rd, 2007, 17:44
I'm available until about 4pm tonight..

GoOrange
September 3rd, 2007, 23:43
Pool party came up.

I can run the game during the week starting at 9pm EDT if that works for anyone.

glacius
September 4th, 2007, 01:22
Works for me I have listed my avail time in my sig

GoOrange
September 4th, 2007, 03:11
Works for me I have listed my avail time in my sig

Sounds good. Who else can make it during the week at that time?

Blahness98
September 4th, 2007, 04:40
I unfortunately can only do AM games due to working 2nd shift. Sorry..

glacius
September 11th, 2007, 19:38
are we continuing this campaign :)

GoOrange
September 11th, 2007, 20:08
It seems we weren't able to find a consensus where everyone could get together again for the second part of this one-shot. This adventure is going to be rebooted and run as the start for my Savage Weekdays campaign. This was just the trial run.