PDA

View Full Version : Export Module?

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 01:15
I've created a Module for my ruleset. How the heck can I get it to auto-download to the client PCs? I've read portraits are local only, but a Module containing my house rules SHOULD auto-download - what do I need to do to get it to go?

Griogre
August 31st, 2007, 03:51
Assuming you have used the /export comand to make the module you need to make sure you check common on the parts of the module you want to send.

Then you need to switch to the campaign that is going to use the module and activate it. Drag the Force Load for players (lighting bolt icon) onto the module.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 04:23
I typed /export and it didnt give me much options to work with... how it work?

Kalan
August 31st, 2007, 04:59
Which version of FG are you running?

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 05:12
Latest, 2.012 I believe.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 14:15
After reading other thread, to clarify:

The module I am exporting is NOT a campaign/adventure module.

I made a new d20spells.mod that contains all the d20 spells PLUS the spells *I* use for the game (homebrew spells, spells from Dragon magazine, etc)

Thats what I want exported to the client PCs. Possible without uploading the file and asking the players to re-download it every time I make a change?

joshuha
August 31st, 2007, 14:17
Make sure its named common.xml and not client.xml or db.xml.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 14:18
aaahh.... very sneaky... thanks man trying it out now. I went client.xml because thats what it was called in the d20spells.mod

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 14:25
I just connected to my server after renaming it from client.xml to common.xml and the client did not update (I have 2 pcs to test this out on). (And yes I repacked the file etc etc)

Now when the client connects, and I open the Modules screen, I see d20 Spells, and d20 Basic rules, and also see "Eds d20 Spells" with no icon, it's greyed out, and it has a web icon on it which I cannot click on or otherwise interact with.

Any thoughts? I am going to be editing this mod a LOT as I add more spells to it, and I'd hate to have the players have to manually redownload and unpack it every time we play.

Kalan
August 31st, 2007, 14:29
You may need to force load the module on the GM side - in which case it should always show as "open" on the client side. I use a lot of common.xml modules - and this usually works fine for me :)

joshuha
August 31st, 2007, 14:34
Also, if its big it can take awhile for it to stream to the client and the web icon to go away.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 15:28
oh ok so it's not a 'downloaded when FG connects' - it streams down as you're connected? I'll try that and see. Problem being these 2 pcs are on a lan together. To move a 100k file between 2 machines in the same switch should be instant.

I'll leave it up a bit and we'll see what happens.

So, basically:
Make a module, make sure its common.xml

Put it in your modules folder.

Use the lightning bolt to force open it for players.

After it downloads it should be available?

joshuha
August 31st, 2007, 15:32
Yes. Although if you have been messing around a lot with different versions I would clear out the modulestate.xml file.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 15:37
I'm not seeing a modulestate.xml file anywhere on my entire PC... what am I missing?

joshuha
August 31st, 2007, 15:41
It should be in the campaign folder you are testing.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 18:19
Cleared out that file... still nothing. This is driving me batty.

joshuha
August 31st, 2007, 18:31
Is it not opening on both ends?

When you zipped it up are you sure it didn't put it inside a folder in the zip file (later renamed to mod)?

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 18:44
Opens fine on server/DM/my side. Will not download/open on client side.

Griogre
August 31st, 2007, 19:59
There should be three files in the .mod file if you use a thumbnail. Did you change the name in the definition.xml fill to match the name in the common.xml? And are you force loading it? You have to, to make a client load the file.

Lorddamax
August 31st, 2007, 20:54
Got 3 files. Here's my definition.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root>
<name>Eds d20 Spells</name>
<author>Open to access extra spells</author>
<ruleset>EDnD</ruleset>
</root>

The first bit from my common.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<edsd20spells static="true">
<name type="string">Eds d20 Spells</name>
<categoryname type="string">d20 Essentials</categoryname>
<entries>
<bard>

<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_classspelllist</class>
<recordname>spelllists.edsbard@Eds d20 Spells</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Bard spells</name>
</bard>

Like I said, this WORKS locally, and it works if the client PCs download and manually place the file. Its just not pushing across the network.

Ram Tyr
August 31st, 2007, 21:07
Like I said, this WORKS locally, and it works if the client PCs download and manually place the file. Its just not pushing across the network.
This seems to be a common concern...Further information from prior discussions:
Players unable to open module (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6351&highlight=module+share)
Library Activation - Player side (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6390&highlight=module+share)

Search is your friend! :)

Later.

Griogre
August 31st, 2007, 22:03
Lorddamax how are you making this module? A brief glance through the XML and it seems fine. Here is a common module I made a while back you can compair yours too. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6399

Lorddamax
September 1st, 2007, 00:38
I used the .xml extracted from the d20spells.mod as my framework. The actual XML is built via PHP script as it exports a MySQL database full of spells I'm cosntantly adding to.

Its not a problem with the XML. Parses well. Works locally perfectly. But when I try to force the export to the clients it takes nearly 5-10 minutes for it to show up, with the server and client on the same lan in the same switch (the 200kb transfer should take miliseconds).

So it seems the export is (and has been) working, but it wasnt until today that I noticed it FINALLY showed up. It shouldnt take that long to show.

Anyone else having these sorts of issues?

Griogre
September 1st, 2007, 03:20
It does take a while to send stuff over the Internet with common modules. I am surprised it took that long on a LAN though (unless it is wireless of course). The stuff does cache on the clients though so it should be faster for them next time unless you change something.

fuleng
September 1st, 2007, 09:39
which program do you use to zip the files? i downloaded Griogre mod to see how it works. after starting FG with d20 ruleset it was in the module activation screen. so i renamed it to zip , extrated and just changed something in the written text. not the name just plain text. after zipping and renamimg to mod, i replaced the old file with my "newly created". When i start FG nothing shows up. do i have to use a special program?

Hamish
September 1st, 2007, 19:15
If you're using WinZip, you have to be careful not to make the mistake I made. I extracted the contents to a folder, replaced a file, and zipped up the folder. No luck, because WinZip remembers the files were in a folder before they were zipped. So make sure you select the individual files and the zip them.

fuleng
September 1st, 2007, 21:19
Thats probably the reason . will try and tell you the outcome