PDA

View Full Version : CSRD Release -- Ya or Nay!

Thore_Ironrock
August 30th, 2007, 16:42
Greetings FG Community,

Digital Adventures has the COMPLETE SRD FOR FANTASY GROUNDS II done, but there is a patch issue that needs to be addressed by SmiteWorks. This poll is to gauge what everyone thinks on if we should release the product right now with the bug out there, or wait until it is corrected. SmiteWorks has told me it could be up to two weeks before this bug is crushed. The Digital Adventures devs have tested the patch, and it works, but it still needs to be integrated into the FG updater.

Currently, the issue revolves around the Monster module, likely due to its size. If you leave this module open when you exit your campaign, it will crash whenever you try to re-open it. The only way to get the campaign to re-open is to delete the Monster module file, then re-add it again later.

So the question is ... Should I release it now? Or wait until the patch is in the updater?

Thanks everyone!

richvalle
August 30th, 2007, 17:17
Release it but post step by step instructions on how to remove and then readd the monster module.

Should also note that this will get rid of any changes to the module that people have made.

rv

Thore_Ironrock
August 30th, 2007, 17:29
Release it but post step by step instructions on how to remove and then readd the monster module.

Should also note that this will get rid of any changes to the module that people have made.

rv

Well Rich, it is really as simple as:

1) Highlight module
2) Delete
3) Re-open campaign
4) Exit
5) Add module back

The poll is a question dealing with if people want to deal with the hassle or not; not whether instructions are included, since people half the people don't read them anyway I hate to say.

Griogre
August 30th, 2007, 17:35
Personally I voted you wait. I know I wouldn't use it until SW releases a patch.

Andugus
August 30th, 2007, 18:06
I am patient if nothing else. I would wait until the bird can fly.

Toadwart
August 30th, 2007, 21:28
If you remember to deactivate the module before exiting FG the bug wouldn't manifest itself.
It happens when FG is starting up and trying to activate the module automatically (either because you have it set to 'force load', or had left it activated when you last exited FG)

Another way of working around the problem is to delete (or edit) the modulestate.xml file (in the campaign folder). That file just records the settings for modules and will recreate itself when FG is run.

Tokuriku
August 31st, 2007, 00:15
I personally play around with the:

modulestate.xml
CampaignRegistry.lua

myself so as not to move/delete any permanent stuff.
The CampaignRegistry.lua file is a great helper after crashes or when you changed an image and want it to "load" at the right size.

I vote to wait though since closing a module will likely be forgotten everytime.
Two weeks is not that long of a wait.

mr_h
August 31st, 2007, 01:40
I voted no, personally because I believe that releasing a product that works right is more important then releasing it on time. Plus a lotta people aren't going to read these forums or what not, will go and purchase it, then complain and think DA releases buggy products. That's not a reputation you guys deserve.

Sigurd
August 31st, 2007, 02:55
Two weeks is too short a time period to justify an extra set of instructions for paying customers. If you can wait for the business I think you have a greater satisfaction level among your customers by releasing it right.

That, and you might light a fire under the devs.

PS thanks for your part in addressing a bug.

I'd hold off if you have a firm word from Smiteworks.

Sigurd