PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Demon Lord - Forge Version

Pages : [1] 2

damned
October 4th, 2021, 13:21
Shadow of the Demon Lord
This will be a basic ruleset for the fantasy RPG Shadow of the Demon Lord which can be found here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/155572/Shadow-of-the-Demon-Lord for about $19. You will need the Full Rules or at least the Players Guide.

This is not a working ruleset at this time. This is the very early stages of a ruleset and I need your help. I am not familiar with the game so I need interested parties to subscribe to the Forge entry and to give me feedback and guidance as I go.

Legal Stuff
Under US copyright law game mechanics are not protected. This DBR (damned basic ruleset) includes mechanics from the game system it is written for but does not include content and other copyright protected material. This DBR is not licensed, endorsed or sanctioned by the games copyright holders. Some parts of the code in this DBR may be copyright SmiteWorks. You should ask my permission before borrowing code from this DBR.

Incentiveware
These DBRs take a long time to learn the game system, plan the project, develop and test the code and create graphics. I do it to enable more people to play what they want to play on Fantasy Grounds. If you find this DBR useful and you want to encourage this kind of work please consider making a donation via paypal to help feed my RPG habit. This DBR is 100% free to use and no donation is required.

If you want to contribute you can do so here: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/fgdamned

Guarantees
There is no guarantee that this DBR will do everything you want or expect it to, that the DBR will be error free, that I will continue to support the DBR etc. Over time I may find I have more or less time or willingness to work on this DBR. It is what it is.

Commercial Ruleset
If a DBR proves to be popular it may lead to a commercial/store project but there is no guarantee of this.

Things to Note
This is a FGU only ruleset. It uses some features that are only available in FGU.

Find me in the Forge.

Quick preview...
https://youtu.be/frDUJ9tW6qo

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49407
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49408

damned
October 4th, 2021, 13:29
So initially I need feedback/direction on the following:

Feedback 001 Post

4 Attributes with two pieces of info - attribute score and attribute bonus
My understanding is that the Bonus is Attribute Score - 10. Please confirm.
My understanding is that Challenge Rolls are 1d20 + Attribute Bonus + Modifiers (including Boons/Banes). Please confirm.

At the moment is you double click Score it will do a Challenge Roll. Please test.
At the moment if you double click the Bonus it will add to the Modifier Stack. Please test.
At the moment if you edit the Score it will adjust the Bonus. I believe Bonus is always based on Score alone? Please confirm.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49371

timdog88
October 4th, 2021, 15:40
Awesome. I love shadow. I’ll check this out as soon as I can

damned
October 5th, 2021, 08:44
Feedback 002 Post

For the static part of the Character Sheet I have added the following fields:

Name
Level:
Size:
Ancestry:
Alignment:
Novice:
Expert:
Master:

Now apart from the alignment issues can you advise if:

Are these are the best fields?
Are there other fields that should be included?
For Novice/Expert/Master are they single line entries or can you have multiple entries in some/all?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49373

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 12:11
Feedback 002 Post

Name
Level:
Size:
Ancestry:
Alignment:
Novice:
Expert:
Master:

For Novice/Expert/Master are they single line entries or can you have multiple entries in some/all?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49372

Yes, Yes!! I'll review as soon as I can. Awesome!!

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 12:28
So initially I need feedback/direction on the following:

Feedback 001 Post

4 Attributes with two pieces of info - attribute score and attribute bonus
My understanding is that the Bonus is Attribute Score - 10. Please confirm.
My understanding is that Challenge Rolls are 1d20 + Attribute Bonus + Modifiers (including Boons/Banes). Please confirm.

At the moment is you double click Score it will do a Challenge Roll. Please test.
At the moment if you double click the Bonus it will add to the Modifier Stack. Please test.
At the moment if you edit the Score it will adjust the Bonus. I believe Bonus is always based on Score alone? Please confirm.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49371

Correct on both counts with respect to attribute scores and bonus. The challenge rolls seems to be working fine.
The bonuses do add to the modifier stack if you click them.
I'll research again but yes, I think the bonus is always based on score.

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 12:40
Feedback 002 Post

Name
Level:
Size:
Ancestry:
Alignment:
Novice:
Expert:
Master:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49372

Some other fields to consider:
Healing Rate (Usually 1/4 health, minimum 1) This can be different based on ancestry
Defense (Usually your agility score unless ancestry says otherwise)
Perception (Equals intellect score but can be increased by ancestry). Can have Challenges Rolls (CR) for perception. Works like other attributes for the CR.
Power (Most start with 0. Determines highest rank of spell you can cast)
Speed

For the paths, you can have multiple entries for expert path if you choose to take a second expert path instead of a master path at level 7

Also, I don't believe there is alignment in SotDL... Everyone is a bit corrupted... :)

damned
October 5th, 2021, 13:21
Some other fields to consider:
Healing Rate (Usually 1/4 health, minimum 1) This can be different based on ancestry
Defense (Usually your agility score unless ancestry says otherwise)
Perception (Equals intellect score but can be increased by ancestry). Can have Challenges Rolls (CR) for perception. Works like other attributes for the CR.

These fields are coming - it was more about the top part of teh charsheet that is present on every page

Power (Most start with 0. Determines highest rank of spell you can cast)
Speed

Coming soon

For the paths, you can have multiple entries for expert path if you choose to take a second expert path instead of a master path at level 7

Also, I don't believe there is alignment in SotDL... Everyone is a bit corrupted... :)

So always 1 Novice?
You can have more than 1 Expert if you forgo a Master?
Can you have more than 2 Expert?

Aiiieeee - a charsheet I was looking at had alignment. A quick rulebook search suggests there is no alignment.

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 13:25
These fields are coming - it was more about the top part of teh charsheet that is present on every page

Coming soon

So always 1 Novice?
You can have more than 1 Expert if you forgo a Master?
Can you have more than 2 Expert?

Aiiieeee - a charsheet I was looking at had alignment. A quick rulebook search suggests there is no alignment.

Yes, I believe only 1 novice and only 1 master (or zero master if you take two expert). I do not believe you can have more than two expert.

damned
October 5th, 2021, 13:31
Feedback 001 Post update
these will continue to add more integration into other elements over time (eg combat modifiers)

Feedback 002 Post update
removed alignment
pending - multiple expert path support

damned
October 5th, 2021, 13:38
Feedback 003 Post

For the main part of the Character Sheet I have added the following:

Health
> Health Bonus
> Healing Rate
> Wounds
Health should auto-calc from Strength and Bonus
Healing Rate auto-calcs

Defence
> Defence Bonus
Defence should auto-calc from Agility and Bonus

Perception
> Perception Bonus
Perception should auto-calc from Intellect

Insanity

Please test and advise any issues found in what has been implemented for each so far
Insanity needs more work once I get my head around whether to do effects or charsheet tracking
Defence will need to support Armor once I get down to there
Wounds will need to affect attacks once I get down to there

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49374

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 13:49
Awesome. You might know this but one thing to keep in mind is health typically stays static. You have a separate damage field that increases as you are hit and take damage. Once damage = health you become incapacitated.

damned
October 5th, 2021, 13:53
Awesome. You might know this but one thing to keep in mind is health typically stays static. You have a separate damage field that increases as you are hit and take damage. Once damage = health you become incapacitated.

Coming in cold and not reading ahead as I go (hence why I need lots of clarification from you guys...) the rulebook suggests that there are some changes to Health over time...

Your starting Health is equal to your Strength score, though your ancestry might adjust it; if your Strength score changes, your Health changes by the same amount. Powerful creatures can have very high Health. For most creatures and objects, Health is a constant.
Magic and other special situations can grant bonuses or penalties to Health, representing improved or weakened vitality and durability. Usually, such bonuses or penalties are temporary.
Advancing in level permanently increases your Health.

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 13:57
Coming in cold and not reading ahead as I go (hence why I need lots of clarification from you guys...) the rulebook suggests that there are some changes to Health over time...

Yep that is true. What I meant is as you take damage it isn’t subtracted from health. It is calculated in a separate field called damage. However you are correct in that there are additions to health from spells, etc.

damned
October 5th, 2021, 14:11
Yep that is true. What I meant is as you take damage it isn’t subtracted from health. It is calculated in a separate field called damage. However you are correct in that there are additions to health from spells, etc.

diamond = healing rate
circle = health bonus (misc bonus from whatever)
heart = health
red square = damage

damage will be tracked separately to health but it will also compare to health for injured status and ofc for incapacitated and dead...

Gwydion
October 5th, 2021, 23:34
Awesome! Really appreciate you starting this.

Gwydion
October 6th, 2021, 12:54
Feedback 003 Post

For the main part of the Character Sheet I have added the following:

Health
> Health Bonus
> Healing Rate
> Wounds
Health should auto-calc from Strength and Bonus
Healing Rate auto-calcs

Defence
> Defence Bonus
Defence should auto-calc from Agility and Bonus

Perception
> Perception Bonus
Perception should auto-calc from Intellect

Insanity

Please test and advise any issues found in what has been implemented for each so far
Insanity needs more work once I get my head around whether to do effects or charsheet tracking
Defence will need to support Armor once I get down to there
Wounds will need to affect attacks once I get down to there

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49374

Just checked all the derived fields (Health, defense, etc) and they seem to be working as intended. Nice!

Gwydion
October 6th, 2021, 13:16
Found one issue with Health calculation. Right now it is tied to Strength + Level. See attached.

https://i.gyazo.com/6dc0101524ccf18a3176d135f9987669.gif

damned
October 6th, 2021, 13:52
Yes it is - thanks. I read that health does improve as you level up and as I hadnt read further i attached it to Level for now.
Does it only go up at Level 4?

damned
October 6th, 2021, 13:56
Feedback 004 Post

Building out some of the Data Types

Language (descriptive only)
Feature (descriptive only)
Profession (descriptive only)
Ancestry
- contains lots of data
- how I envisage this data being used by the ruleset Im still processing so I wouldnt go mad entering all the races just yet...

Fix:
removed Level from health Calculation

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49408

Gwydion
October 6th, 2021, 14:08
Yes it is - thanks. I read that health does improve as you level up and as I hadnt read further i attached it to Level for now.
Does it only go up at Level 4?

It goes up at multiple levels, but it is typically tied to your ancestry (e.g. Dwarf: +6 health at lvl 4; Goblin: +4 health at lvl 4). Also, as you take new paths Health increases based upon the specific path.

damned
October 6th, 2021, 20:56
And in case people werent sure - when I make a new feedback post it means I have uploaded a new build on the Forge too!

timdog88
October 6th, 2021, 22:41
Are boons and banes incorporated yet? I dont see them if so. Looks good so far!

Gwydion
October 6th, 2021, 22:45
Are boons and banes incorporated yet? I dont see them if so. Looks good so far!

Not yet I believe. He is just working on the abilities and core stats at the moment.

damned
October 7th, 2021, 00:13
Everything that is included has been posted.
If I havent posted about it then its not there.
And at this stage that will be a lot of stuff.
What Im looking for is people to test and to provide feedback.

damned
October 7th, 2021, 13:10
Feedback 005 Post

Started a new tab.. probably it will be called Description...

So far it has:

Professions
Languages
Traits

Also added functionality when you drag a completed Ancestry to the charsheet it will fill out the initial stats and link to the Ancestry on the sheet for additional info.
Currently it auto adds:

STR
AGI
INT
WIL
Health
Defence
Perception
Insanity

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49384

Gwydion
October 7th, 2021, 13:30
Feedback 005 Post

Started a new tab.. probably it will be called Description...

So far it has:

Professions
Languages
Traits

Also added functionality when you drag a completed Ancestry to the charsheet it will fill out the initial stats and link to the Ancestry on the sheet for additional info.
Currently it auto adds:

STR
AGI
INT
WIL
Health
Defence
Perception
Insanity

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49384

Awesome! Looking good! I see all the fields in the ancestry (e.g. Health). Is the intention over time to include the modifier in health (e.g. +4 for dwarf) and it will calculate health by adding that bonus? Really liking what you've done so far!

https://i.gyazo.com/b3e3605f10d3f958237a807c72ac8473.gif

Gwydion
October 7th, 2021, 13:35
I love the read/write toggles in languages and that you can already drag/drop links into these fields. Sweet!

damned
October 7th, 2021, 13:44
Thanks Ive uploaded again and fixed the Debug issue in chat.
Yes the additional racial bonuses will be automated soon.
Also will handle the Level 4 bonuses.
Then I will need to explore the Paths and their levelling....

damned
October 7th, 2021, 13:46
I love the read/write toggles in languages and that you can already drag/drop links into these fields. Sweet!

I do need to work out how to use the CoreRPG languages so that the scrambling in chat works...
Hopefully one day Ill learn how that works...

Trenloe
October 7th, 2021, 15:15
I do need to work out how to use the CoreRPG languages so that the scrambling in chat works...
Hopefully one day Ill learn how that works...
As long as the PC languages section is in the same database location and format as CoreRPG, and you add languages to the campaign via the languages LUA table in scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua - you specify the language name and the name of the font to use, if the font name is "" then the standard font will be used, the text will be scrambled whether with a language font or standard font to prevent drag/drop or copying of the text by players to read the base text.

damned
October 7th, 2021, 21:40
As long as the PC languages section is in the same database location and format as CoreRPG, and you add languages to the campaign via the languages LUA table in scripts\manager_gamesystem.lua - you specify the language name and the name of the font to use, if the font name is "" then the standard font will be used, the text will be scrambled whether with a language font or standard font to prevent drag/drop or copying of the text by players to read the base text.

Thanks Boss. Ill check in on this.

damned
October 7th, 2021, 22:10
Ok Languages are working... I need to add the languages to the ruleset and probably some fonts too...
Please note this has not been updated to the Forge yet

damned
October 8th, 2021, 14:36
Feedback 006 Post

Added 1st concept/implementation of Boons/Banes
Can adjust the number of dice upwards by typing or ctrl+scroll
Roll by double clicking
It will add highest result to Modifier Stack and reset the pool to 1 dice

it will not count boons and banes and cancel each other out - just roll one or the other

Have added more description fields on Other tab

Have added languages to Ruleset
You may need to either start new campaign or close FG and remove the <languages> section from the db.xml
I dont think that this will be the final font...

Gwydion
October 8th, 2021, 14:45
Feedback 006 Post

Roll by double clicking

it will not count boons and banes and cancel each other out - just roll one or the other

You may need to either start new campaign or close FG and remove the <languages> section from the db.xml

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49403

Thanks, Damned! FYI, for some reason I can't open the attachments you are posting in your messages. They just say "invalid attachment" whenever I click on any of them. Will test these out when I can later today! Also, if you get a minute I sent you a DM in discord. No rush at all.

damned
October 9th, 2021, 10:13
Feedback 007 Post

Added Corruption.
After gaining corruption double click to make a Corruption roll. If you roll equal or lower than your Corruption it will roll on a table called Marks of Darkness (you will need to create this) and you can then drag the Mark to your character sheet

Added Fortune to the Character Sheet
Double Click to spend Fortune

Added Connections and Bonds to the Character Sheet

Gwydion
October 9th, 2021, 13:05
Feedback 007 Post

Added Corruption.
After gaining corruption double click to make a Corruption roll. If you roll equal or lower than your Corruption it will roll on a table called Marks of Darkness (you will need to create this) and you can then drag the Mark to your character sheet

Added Fortune to the Character Sheet
Double Click to spend Fortune

Added Connections and Bonds to the Character Sheet

The boon/bane rolls are looking good! I just have to remind myself to make sure the boon/bane roll finishes and populates the modifier before I roll the challenge roll.

Also, I did update and start a brand new campaign but I don't see the corruptions or fortune and the "other" tab has fields I don't recognize.

https://i.gyazo.com/ea8477b71b9248c1496613c83e8ce957.gif

damned
October 9th, 2021, 22:08
Its possible.... I didnt upload to the Forge... try now.

Gwydion
October 9th, 2021, 22:23
Its possible.... I didnt upload to the Forge... try now.

Yes! I see corruption now! I'll test later tonight.

Gwydion
October 9th, 2021, 22:29
Yep, the corruption rolls on the marks of darkness table that I already had created. Nice!

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 02:13
Damned, FYI, when you roll corruption it populates the modifier box.

https://i.gyazo.com/da8d58f9856bfee922882e2be88ac656.gif

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 02:32
Feedback 006 Post

Roll by double clicking

Hey, damned. What made you decide on some of the sections you created in the "other" tab. I don't think most of them are normal for a SotDL character sheet? I like how it looks though!

damned
October 10th, 2021, 02:36
Hey, damned. What made you decide on some of the sections you created in the "other" tab. I don't think most of them are normal for a SotDL character sheet? I like how it looks though!

They are in the rulebook...
Never played the game, probably never will...
Learning as I go...

damned
October 10th, 2021, 02:37
Major fubar today...

I made a tonne of changes and Ive broken something and I cant seem to fix it and Im not sure where my save point is at...

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 02:38
Its all good! I love how it is coming together. Interesting. I need to read it again. Been a while but I will definitely run games in this.

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 02:39
Major fubar today...

I made a tonne of changes and Ive broken something and I cant seem to fix it and Im not sure where my save point is at...

Ahhhhhh!!!!! I hate when that happens. If there is any way I can try to help with something (doubt it). Let me know!

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 02:47

Now I got it…. Page 28 of the rule book… Sweet. I hope you figure out the issue! Fingers crossed.

damned
October 10th, 2021, 04:48
Uploaded a new version.

This one correctly adds Ancestry bonus for the derived skills as well.
When you level up to Level 4 you will get the extra derived skills and a note telling you about what other choices you have to make for this level.

I fixed the Corruption bug too.

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 04:59
Uploaded a new version.

This one correctly adds Ancestry bonus for the derived skills as well.
When you level up to Level 4 you will get the extra derived skills and a note telling you about what other choices you have to make for this level.

I fixed the Corruption bug too.

Excellent! Will review in the am my time. Thx!!

damned
October 10th, 2021, 07:02
Quick preview...

https://youtu.be/frDUJ9tW6qo

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 14:15
Awesome stuff! Really quick nit. Looks like the 0.5 for size does not populate. Probably only accepts whole numbers right now.

Disregard. Looks like size just doesen't auto-populate. All good!

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 17:53
Hey Damned. One thing I noticed is that when you drag on an ancestry it "levels up" the character to level 0. Technically you are at level 0 when you create your character and take your ancestry. When you take your novice path, you level up to level 1.

I also created an Orc and it doesn't look like Corruption updates on the character sheet when you add the Orc. Thanks!

https://i.gyazo.com/c9a8036fb1c414a42c7265c6950348e5.gif

damned
October 10th, 2021, 21:26
I have fixed both in the (not yet published) next release. Thanks.

damned
October 10th, 2021, 23:32
I am working on Paths right now and its a doozy...

Gwydion
October 10th, 2021, 23:32
I am working on Paths right now and its a doozy...

Yes it is! Starts small with novice but gets really crazy.

damned
October 11th, 2021, 00:39
This is what they are looking like at the moment...
You set the Novice/Expert/Master
then add in the generic detail and then the per level detail.

The Automation will then have to check what paths and ancestry you have each time you level up and apply all the data there.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49425

Gwydion
October 11th, 2021, 00:45
Awesome! I will review in the am!

damned
October 11th, 2021, 00:51
Its not live yet. It wont be live for about 12 hours.

Gwydion
October 11th, 2021, 00:57
Perfect. I’m not behind in reviewing. Lol.

Gwydion
October 11th, 2021, 12:09
I like the tab concept from the screenshot. Cool way to handle the paths.

damned
October 11th, 2021, 13:51
ok, ive uploaded something but its a long way from done
i need some sleep because my head is hurting on this part!

Gwydion
October 11th, 2021, 23:26
Hey Damned. Should I review the current upload or is it better to wait? I’m happy with either but wanted to see if you want us to start reviewing and commenting on the current upload. Thx.

damned
October 12th, 2021, 00:28
So far what i supported is

1. Can cycle between Novice, Expert and Master
2. This will set the Level Tabs below - I think only the Novice Tabs exist
3. The Level Tabs will allow you to add what you get each level
4. When you drop on to Charsheet it will check if Novice is free and then add, or it will add to Expert if that is Free or it will add to Master if that is Free or it will ignore
5. The first one dropped should set Level to 1
6. This is where I am trying to work out how much to try and Automate
7. Attributes cant really Automate as most (all?) of them are add 1 point, 1 point to 2, add 2 points, add 3 points where you want
8. Characteristics - I can automate these but I need to work out if I simply Add or if I recalculate everything, eg at each level check Ancestry and all Paths. This might be necessary because someone will over level up and want to roll back...
9. Other items are generally choices. I will probably write choices to chat but they will need to open the Path and drag Features, Languages, Professions in themselves.
10. I dont know yet how to handle 2xExpert instead of Expert+Master

Gwydion
October 12th, 2021, 01:15
So far what i supported is

1. Can cycle between Novice, Expert and Master
2. This will set the Level Tabs below - I think only the Novice Tabs exist
3. The Level Tabs will allow you to add what you get each level
4. When you drop on to Charsheet it will check if Novice is free and then add, or it will add to Expert if that is Free or it will add to Master if that is Free or it will ignore
5. The first one dropped should set Level to 1
6. This is where I am trying to work out how much to try and Automate
7. Attributes cant really Automate as most (all?) of them are add 1 point, 1 point to 2, add 2 points, add 3 points where you want
8. Characteristics - I can automate these but I need to work out if I simply Add or if I recalculate everything, eg at each level check Ancestry and all Paths. This might be necessary because someone will over level up and want to roll back...
9. Other items are generally choices. I will probably write choices to chat but they will need to open the Path and drag Features, Languages, Professions in themselves.
10. I dont know yet how to handle 2xExpert instead of Expert+Master

Couple initial thoughts. Once again, thanks for all the work!!!

1. When you pull a path onto a character sheet, it does not update the level to 1.
2. This may not be possible and I totally get it but for attribute increase where you can increase two by 1, can you have a popup that makes you choose one of the four attributes and then another popup for the second? (Again, if that has to be manual, totally get it!)
3. Since novice paths can only be used for Novice Path, any way to stop it from going to expert and adding another Magician path to expert if someone accidentally drags a novice path on multiple times? Nice to have but certainly not critical.

Gwydion
October 12th, 2021, 12:29
Question. Do you think you will set up a separate asset class for talents or will you include in features? Just curious. I'm building the novice paths and just wondering how you'll handle say roguery talents. I know its early and there is a lot to work on!

damned
October 12th, 2021, 12:58
Its too early to get carried away on data entry
I would only be creating small sets of data for testing

I dont know if Features is the right name but as I didnt really see anything else that leapt out at me thats what I have gone with
At this stage Roguery Talents will just be Features.

Gwydion
October 12th, 2021, 13:02
Yep. Totally makes sense on not too much data entry yet.

damned
October 12th, 2021, 14:16
More progress made but nothing uploaded tonight.

I have fleshed out Expert Sub Windows
I have added in some validation
>> can only add Novice, Expert, Master or Novice, Expert, Expert
** need to make levelling up less prone to user fat fingers
** need to make paths only accepted at level 0, level 2 and level 6
** need to make paths add levels
>> paths will auto track and calc extra health through to level 6
** need to work out how I will manage expert+expert vs expert+master

Head hurts...

Gwydion
October 12th, 2021, 14:33
More progress made but nothing uploaded tonight.

I have fleshed out Expert Sub Windows
I have added in some validation
>> can only add Novice, Expert, Master or Novice, Expert, Expert
** need to make levelling up less prone to user fat fingers
** need to make paths only accepted at level 0, level 2 and level 6
** need to make paths add levels
>> paths will auto track and calc extra health through to level 6
** need to work out how I will manage expert+expert vs expert+master

Head hurts...

We appreciate you! Awesome work so far.

damned
October 13th, 2021, 23:55
New build uploaded v1.09

Fleshed out
> Path Novice
> Path Expert
> Path Master
The layout is still being worked on

To setup a path create a new Path.
use the Cycler to set the Path type - Novice, Expert, Master

Add a Description

Add the Attributes and Characteristics adjustments
> Attributes will be manual because the player can add them where they want them
> Characteristics will be automatically applied but at this stage only Health is working

Add Languages & Professions text

Add Features text eg You gain Nimble Recovery and Trickery
> Create the Features (in the Features campaign tool) and drag into the list

Tables
> Create Tables (in Tables campaign tool) and drag into List

To Level Up now you will double click the icon in Level field
This will perform a reasonable amount of checking before applying a level up

At level 0 it will check
> Character has a name
> Character has an Ancestry
> Character has a Novice Path (not needed for Level 0 but you cant go to Level 1 without a Path)
At level 3 it will check
> Character has an Expert Path
At level 7 it will check
> Character has a Master Path

There are some other checks going on but that is what the player will see.

Please test - know that only Health is being applied right now.

Gwydion
October 14th, 2021, 00:13
Excellent! Can’t wait to review. Thx.

Gwydion
October 14th, 2021, 12:19
This is great. Just testing a bit now. So when you drag on the first novice path it levels up to 1. When you drag on an expert path it doesn't level up to 3. Is the intention you level to 3 and then drag on the expert path? Ah... I see. When you doubleclick to a level that requires a path there is a note in chat that says to choose expert or master path. Nice!

Gwydion
October 14th, 2021, 12:35
I know the Attributes are manual but is the intention in the "BON" to just put "1" if you can increase two or three attributes by 1? Just curious.
This might not be ready, yet, but if I drag an expert path on at level 6 (to have two expert paths), it populates in the master path, but when I try to level up to 7 it gives me an error. Probably because Expert paths don't have a level 7?

Gwydion
October 14th, 2021, 12:59
The "normal" leveling to novice, expert and master all seems to be working great! Love it!

damned
October 14th, 2021, 14:34
New build uploaded v1.091

This now reports Health as it increases your health on each levelling up.

Please note that while the Character Sheet accepts both Novice/Expert/Master and Novice/Expert/Expert the Automation breaks for the latter from Level 7 onwards at this time. I am still thinking about how to handle that.

Please test...

Gwydion
October 14th, 2021, 14:45
New build uploaded v1.091

This now reports Health as it increases your health on each levelling up.

Please note that while the Character Sheet accepts both Novice/Expert/Master and Novice/Expert/Expert the Automation breaks for the latter from Level 7 onwards at this time. I am still thinking about how to handle that.

Please test...

Completely makes sense. I'll test late tonight or early am tomorrow. Thanks! Anyone else following this thread please help me test! Damned is doing amazing work and I'd love more eyes helping to test it for him.

damned
October 15th, 2021, 07:27
Question to ponder...

Are the Paths always consistent?

The first Path level does Attributes and the rest dont?
At mid levels is Health the only Characteristic that is ever updated?

The reason I ask is I could change the fields per level...
Or I leave all the options there for custom Paths.

damned
October 15th, 2021, 12:08
Ahhh crap.
Ive just realised that the last few others of moving code around was a mistake.
Good for Autocalculating the things that are specified in the Paths but no longer calculates when you adjust Attributes...
Here goes another few hours moving stuff back.

Gwydion
October 15th, 2021, 12:25
Ahhh crap.
Ive just realised that the last few others of moving code around was a mistake.
Good for Autocalculating the things that are specified in the Paths but no longer calculates when you adjust Attributes...
Here goes another few hours moving stuff back.

Uggh... Sorry! The Demon Lord appreciates you though. I'm working to recruit some other disciples to test......

Gwydion
October 15th, 2021, 12:25
Question to ponder...

Are the Paths always consistent?

The first Path level does Attributes and the rest dont?
At mid levels is Health the only Characteristic that is ever updated?

The reason I ask is I could change the fields per level...
Or I leave all the options there for custom Paths.

Let me look into this a bit more. I'm not 100% sure given the number of supplements for SotDL...

damned
October 15th, 2021, 12:50
Uggh... Sorry! The Demon Lord appreciates you though. I'm working to recruit some other disciples to test......

Appreciates it..? I think he is f@#$ing with me...

Gwydion
October 15th, 2021, 12:52
Certainly could be..... I just finished session 2 of the Darkest House and the players learned the House hates them.... :)

GunbunnyFuFu
October 16th, 2021, 04:47
Wow...I missed this. Excellent job, Damned! Looking good! As a SotDL game master, I look forward to seeing this! It's a shame that you haven't played SotDL...it's a fantastic system!

GBFF

damned
October 16th, 2021, 06:58
Ok Ive uploaded a new build that barely looks any different but has over a dozen hours of effort added.

More Character sheet automation with levelling up
Added initial fields for Speed and Power

Im going to move on past Levelling and Paths shortly...
I will likely have Questions...

spoofer
October 16th, 2021, 12:42
GunBunny,

I also have never played this system, but I am very interested. I have already invested a ton of time and money into 5E D&D, but I am looking for something different. I have started running ALIEN, and I enjoy the tension in that game. I am wondering if this is more ALIEN in feeling. I read that the author helped create the recent versions of D&D so I am thinking that this might be just another version of D&D. I don't have the books, so I really have no idea. What is appealing about this system?

Gwydion
October 16th, 2021, 15:38
GunBunny,

I also have never played this system, but I am very interested. I have already invested a ton of time and money into 5E D&D, but I am looking for something different. I have started running ALIEN, and I enjoy the tension in that game. I am wondering if this is more ALIEN in feeling. I read that the author helped create the recent versions of D&D so I am thinking that this might be just another version of D&D. I don't have the books, so I really have no idea. What is appealing about this system?

Hey Spoofer. What appeals to me is how gritty it is and the horror aspect. Very simple to run combat and a unique initiative system. Fast/Slow turn that allow you to either move and take an action (slow turn so you act after all fast turns) or move OR take an action (fast turn). Also, only 10 levels and you basically level up after each session so you can have a cool campaign without running it over 2 yrs (huge WOTC adventures). Also, the boon/bane system replaces adv/dis. A boon adds a d6 to your roll and a bane subtracts a d6. Really simple but effective.

Professions replace skills and give the GM more flexibility in giving a boon to a player for a check. Only uses a d20 and d6. Checks aways have a target of 10. Boons/Banes raise or lower difficulty.

There is so much I like about the system. DTRPG has the starter guide as pwyw in the event you want to check it out. At least explains character creation I believe.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/156576/Victims-of-the-Demon-Lord-Starter-Guide?manufacturers_id=8782

spoofer
October 16th, 2021, 15:43
What appeals to me is how gritty it is and the horror aspect.

This. This is what I am looking for. This is why I love the ALIEN Game. The rest of what you wrote sounds great, but no better or worse than 5E D&D, just different.
Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out.

timdog88
October 20th, 2021, 19:21
So looking at the character sheet, I don't quite follow how to set up a character. Do I need to create things like paths and ancestries and then drag them onto the sheet? If so, where exactly do I create these? Do I need to plug in the character stats? The rolls seem to be working as intended, I'm just not sure how to go about building a character.

Gwydion
October 20th, 2021, 19:55
So looking at the character sheet, I don't quite follow how to set up a character. Do I need to create things like paths and ancestries and then drag them onto the sheet? If so, where exactly do I create these? Do I need to plug in the character stats? The rolls seem to be working as intended, I'm just not sure how to go about building a character.

Right now I would only create items to test. Yes, to your point, you would go into the ancestry tab and create an ancestry and fill in the information in the ancestry record. Fill in the info for each level. Then drag the ancestry onto the character sheet and stats and health, for example, should auto-populate on the character sheet based on the ancestry. Same for paths. Create a novice path and drag onto the character and you should see health change. Note that the ability score improvements must be handled manually.

Hope that helps.

damned
October 20th, 2021, 21:12
Start with creating the
Ancestry along with any Features and Tables used by that Ancestry
Then at Level 1 create the Path and Features and Tables used by that Path
You drag and drop the Ancestry and Path and Features.

damned
October 20th, 2021, 21:17
It doesnt take long to add them in if you just do the ones that you need right now.
Ofc the ruleset is still in development and many more things are still coming.

timdog88
October 20th, 2021, 21:19
Ok, so where exactly do I create the ancestry and paths? Just use the notes tab, or the story tab? Or is there a spec place that I need to do it?

damned
October 20th, 2021, 21:30
Go into Options -> Sidebar and choose All
You will see tools for
Ancestry
Feature
Marks (this is for the Marks of Madness table)
Paths
Profession
Trait

Not all the Lock fields work just yet.

damned
October 20th, 2021, 21:31
Right now Im working on Attacks and Equipment

timdog88
October 20th, 2021, 21:41
Ahhh, ok I found it, thanks. I’ll take a look and check it out

Gwydion
October 20th, 2021, 22:11
Right now Im working on Attacks and Equipment

Yes!!! Can’t wait to see.

timdog88
October 21st, 2021, 20:07
Ok not sure if I found a bug or if its just user error. I created an ancestry for human and set all the values for stats to 10. When I then drag that onto my character sheet, the value for health, defense, and perception all become 20. Is this intended or did I do something wrong?

damned
October 21st, 2021, 22:09
I cant replicate this unless you set ALL the values to 10.

Example from the rulebook:

Starting Attribute Scores Strength 10, Agility 10, Intellect 10, Will 10. Choose one attribute and increase it by 1.
Perception equals your Intellect score
Defense equals your Agility score
Health equals your Strength score
Healing Rate equals one-quarter your Health, round down
Size 1/2 or 1, Speed 10, Power 0
Damage 0, Insanity 0, Corruption 0
Languages and Professions You speak the Common Tongue, and you can either speak one additional language or add a random profession.

In the Ancestry record you set:
Strength 10
Agility 10
Intellect 10
Will 10
Perception autocalcs
Defense autocalcs
Health autocalcs
Healing rate autocalcs
Size .5 or 1
Speed 10
Power 0
Damage 0
Insanity 0
Corruption 0
Languages & Professions You speak the Common Tongue, and you can either speak one additional language or add a random profession.
Immunities

Level 4 Expert
Perception 0
Defense 0
Health 5
Text
You either learn one spell or gain Determined.
Determined When you roll a 1 on the die from a boon, you can reroll the die and choose to use the new number.
(create a Feature called Determined and drag it in as a link)

Tables
(create 6 tables and drag them in as links)

spoofer
October 24th, 2021, 01:58
I am playing around with creating a data parser for this rule set. I am working on ancestries. So far so good. I might actually do this.

Damned,

I noticed the following.

<feature_link type="windowreference">
<class>feature</class>
<recordname />
</feature_link>
<link_feature type="windowreference">
<class>feature</class>
<recordname />
</link_feature>

Are both feature_link and link_feature needed?

Thanks for making this rule set. I am seriously considering running this in the future. I just hope I can find people in your time zone to play this.

spoofer
October 24th, 2021, 21:47
I parsed some ancestries and created a player's mod. Everything looks good. However, when I drop an ancestry on the character sheet, I get an error.

[10/24/2021 4:11:59 PM] RULESET: Core RPG ruleset (v2021-07-06) for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2021 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[10/24/2021 4:11:59 PM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 1.9713566
[10/24/2021 4:12:56 PM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.1448203 - Shadow of the Demon Lord
[10/24/2021 4:14:14 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static width ignored for control (tabs) in windowclass (charsheet)
[10/24/2021 4:14:14 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static width ignored for control (tabs) in windowclass (charsheet)
[10/24/2021 4:14:32 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/managerChar.lua"]:647: attempt to concatenate a nil value
[10/24/2021 4:14:32 PM] [WARNING] window: Anchored static width ignored for control (tabs) in windowclass (charsheet)

damned
October 24th, 2021, 21:51
You must name the character first.
I will add some error handling in for that at some point.

I am working on the other issue you raised also.

spoofer
October 25th, 2021, 17:26
Hahaha. Ok, thanks. I will keep testing.

spoofer
October 26th, 2021, 00:12
Here is what the ancestries look like completed. (Now that my parser works, it takes literally a few minutes to add an ancetry.)

damned
October 26th, 2021, 01:28
PER DEF and HEA are incorrect.
Start them at 0 and only include bonuses.
The bases stat will automatically be assigned to them.

damned
October 27th, 2021, 23:57
This update has been slow coming.
Im starting to work on Equipment.

Right now - you add Equipment (Items) to Inventory.
I have expanded the properties of Items and Id love feedback on this.

Any Item of Type Weapon will appear on the front tab.
If the item is Equipped then the Attack Roll option will be enabled (exception see below)
If the item is Ranged and has the Reload property then after you roll an Attack it will disable the Attack button and activate the Reload Required property in the attacks list
There are other properties being displayed.

In order the weapons will show:
Link, Name, Damage (not working yet), Equipped, Attack, Type (ranged|melee), Cumbersome, Finesse, Range (Short|Medium|long), Thrown, Hand (One|Two|Offhand), Reload, Defence (not working yet)

When you Roll Attack it will use Strength for Melee attacks, Agility for Ranged attacks and if you have the Finesse property it will automatically use Agility if that is higher than Strength.

In the Forge.

Feedback encouraged.

Gwydion
October 28th, 2021, 00:46

If the item is Equipped then the Attack Roll option will be enabled (exception see below)
If the item is Ranged and has the Reload property then after you roll an Attack it will disable the Attack button and activate the Reload Required property in the attacks list

Link, Name, Damage (not working yet), Equipped, Attack, Type (ranged|melee), Cumbersome, Finesse, Range (Short|Medium|long), Thrown, Hand (One|Two|Offhand), Reload, Defence (not working yet)

When you Roll Attack it will use Strength for Melee attacks, Agility for Ranged attacks and if you have the Finesse property it will automatically use Agility if that is higher than Strength.

In the Forge.

Feedback encouraged.

Yes!!! Have not wanted to ask as I know this is hard work. Excited to review.

Gwydion
October 28th, 2021, 12:51

In the Forge.

Feedback encouraged.

Looking good! Couple quick things and I'll test more later.

Console error:
https://i.gyazo.com/c57222567d4ab14bce20721932e22190.gif

Duplicate weapon on click in inventory (if I have item open already):
https://i.gyazo.com/fc5da84391d6afd638aa60ce6b2bbf0a.gif

spoofer
October 28th, 2021, 13:15
I have read a bunch of reviews, etc., about this game and I really like what I read. I love the author's approach. This seems to be what I am looking for.

I have determined that I can easily parse the massive volumes of content (like the spells and monsters). I have just discovered how to make a reference manual. That author tool is awesome. I have a lot of free time this year. It feels like destiny.

I will start thinking about feedback for you, damned. Here is some...

The professions are at most a few words of text, and are the output of a table. As such, the professions slot on the character sheet should be a single line of text, and not a box for links.

I think that there is nothing that is a feature. Same with traits. They should be called talents. Can you change the sidebar to reflect that?

Thank you for making this rule set.

Gwydion
October 28th, 2021, 13:35
I have read a bunch of reviews, etc., about this game and I really like what I read. I love the author's approach. This seems to be what I am looking for.

I have determined that I can easily parse the massive volumes of content (like the spells and monsters). I have just discovered how to make a reference manual. That author tool is awesome. I have a lot of free time this year. It feels like destiny.

The professions are at most a few words of text, and are the output of a table. As such, the professions slot on the character sheet should be a single line of text, and not a box for links.

I think that there is nothing that is a feature. Same with traits. They should be called talents. Can you change the sidebar to reflect that?

Welcome to the rabbit hole! I have so many of the books, supplements, adventures for this. Can't wait to really play it in FGU.

damned
October 28th, 2021, 14:37
Looking good! Couple quick things and I'll test more later.

Console error:
https://i.gyazo.com/c57222567d4ab14bce20721932e22190.gif

Duplicate weapon on click in inventory (if I have item open already):
https://i.gyazo.com/fc5da84391d6afd638aa60ce6b2bbf0a.gif

Ok I have fixed #1 but you will either have to recreate all your items or... find replace in the db.xml
<reloadrequired type="string">loaded</reloadrequired>
change to
<reloadrequired type="number">0</reloadrequired>

I cannot replicate #2
please try nuking the item and recreating it and retesting?

new build will upload shortly

damned
October 28th, 2021, 14:50

Professions - it would not be uncommon for a high level character to have 3 or 4 professions. Agree there is little (or no) descriptions for the professions but there can still be multiple professions... Im inclined to leave this one as is just now...

Does everyone agree that Features should be Talents?

Traits are found on page 28. Im inclined to keep these unless there is good argument to remove?

Did you try the Ancestries with 0 for PER DEF and HEA? Some might have +/- in one of these fields but generally they should be 0 and they will inherit

I do appreciate the feedback - it does help a lot.

damned
October 28th, 2021, 14:57
Newest build changes the Items layout - well it does under the hood but you might not see any difference...
Fixed script error in Items
Setup record locking for Items

Live in the Forge now.

Are there Magic Items in the game?
Can someone share a couple here for me to see what they do?

Gwydion
October 28th, 2021, 15:11
Ok I have fixed #1 but you will either have to recreate all your items or... find replace in the db.xml
<reloadrequired type="string">loaded</reloadrequired>
change to
<reloadrequired type="number">0</reloadrequired>

I cannot replicate #2
please try nuking the item and recreating it and retesting?

new build will upload shortly

Ok. Will do when I can. I thought I had deleted the axe I had originally created (before your ruleset work) but if that is what the errors are from, I will close the rulebook I created a long time ago in MoreCore and see if that helps. I will delete the item as well and try again. Thanks!

Gwydion
October 29th, 2021, 12:28
Been testing the weapons and all the properties. Looking really good. Couple suggestions/comments for the future:

* Can you make the equip/carry toggles on the inventory tab determine if the weapons show up on the main page. Just might get cluttered if you have like 6 weapons and they all show up on the main page. (certainly a nit)
* I don't think the property automation is implemented yet, right? For example, cumbersome in the future would roll automaticlaly with a bane?
* Misfire - Do you plan to do antyhing with misfire? If the result of the roll is less than zero, maybe the "M" highlights in red or something until you manually toggle it off after a minute?

These are all small. Really like how this is coming together.

damned
October 29th, 2021, 12:39
Been testing the weapons and all the properties. Looking really good. Couple suggestions/comments for the future:

* Can you make the equip/carry toggles on the inventory tab determine if the weapons show up on the main page. Just might get cluttered if you have like 6 weapons and they all show up on the main page. (certainly a nit)
* I don't think the property automation is implemented yet, right? For example, cumbersome in the future would roll automaticlaly with a bane?
* Misfire - Do you plan to do antyhing with misfire? If the result of the roll is less than zero, maybe the "M" highlights in red or something until you manually toggle it off after a minute?

These are all small. Really like how this is coming together.

1. I dont think I can...
2. The intention is to add the Automation for Cumbersome
3. The intention is to add the Automation for Misfire

Gwydion
October 29th, 2021, 12:49
Professions - it would not be uncommon for a high level character to have 3 or 4 professions. Agree there is little (or no) descriptions for the professions but there can still be multiple professions... Im inclined to leave this one as is just now...

Does everyone agree that Features should be Talents?

Traits are found on page 28. Im inclined to keep these unless there is good argument to remove?

Did you try the Ancestries with 0 for PER DEF and HEA? Some might have +/- in one of these fields but generally they should be 0 and they will inherit

I do appreciate the feedback - it does help a lot.

Just sawe this. My thoughts.

Features = talents. Yes, I think this makes sense to call features talents. Trying to think if there would be a need to have them both. Never really understand if "darksight" is a talent or just something that comes with ancestry for example.

Traits - I'm not sure folks use these often but agree they are in the book and doesn't hurt to keep them.

Gwydion
October 29th, 2021, 12:58
Newest build changes the Items layout - well it does under the hood but you might not see any difference...
Fixed script error in Items
Setup record locking for Items

Live in the Forge now.

Are there Magic Items in the game?
Can someone share a couple here for me to see what they do?

There are incantations (scrolls) (see pag 109 of the rulebook).

Otherwise there are enchanted items and relics. See page 207 of the rulebook where the discussion begins on enchanted objects. There are tables that discuss effects of those objects. There are examples of relics (see page 212), but here are a couple examples:

Book of Whispers
A desiccated tongue is nailed to the blackened cover of this sinister tome. Leafing through its pages reveals strange, writhing text that surrounds obscene illustrations conjured from the fantasies of an unhinged mind. One with sufficient force of will might coax forth strange power from its writings.
Game Effect
Forbidden Secrets At the end of each hour you spend reading the Book of Whispers, make a Will challenge roll with 1 bane per hour you have already read the book. On a success, you learn one spell of the GM’s choice of a rank you can cast. On a failure, you gain 1 Insanity and you cannot read the book again. Any attempt to do so causes you to automatically gain 1 Insanity

Circlet of Eyes
Seven staring glass eyeballs are arranged evenly around this silver circlet. A paranoid wizard is thought to have carved out the eyes of her enemies, binding their souls to the relic.
Game Effect
Bound in Silver When you don the circlet, spikes emerge from the inside and embed themselves in your skull. You take a -1d6 penalty to Health until the circlet is removed, which cannot be done until you become unconscious.
Clear Sight While you wear the circlet, you can see in all directions at once. You see into areas obscured by shadows or darkness as if those areas were lit, out to the normal range of your vision. You automatically recognize any illusion you can see for what it is. Finally, you make Perception challenge rolls that rely on sight with 2 boons.
However, you cannot avert your eyes from monsters’ gazes, and you make challenge rolls with 1 bane against harmful effects that rely on sight.
Detach Eye You can use a triggered action on your turn to remove one of the eyes from the circlet. You can see through that eye regardless of how far you are away from it.

damned
October 29th, 2021, 13:38
Are there items that give +1 to hit etc?

spoofer
October 29th, 2021, 13:51
So you want the player to do the following:
Roll on the table to determine the profession.
Find the matching empty text box from the professions tab.
Drag the link to the character sheet.

Only the religion professions have any sort of description. I worry that the fact that the text box is empty for all of the other professions is going to create a ton of confusion by the users of the rule set. Not having the short descriptions for the religion professions is a very small price to pay for avoiding that confusion resulting from empty text boxes for all of the other professions. That little bit of text that is lost will be outputed to the chat as part of the table roll result, and then player can darg it all over and keep it or delete as they wish. Confusion avoided.

The word trait is used in two ways. It is used loosely to mean some sort of feature of a creature, such as a Talent or Defence Score.
It is also used to mean one of a short list of specific characteristics of monsters.

"A tiny animal can have one of the following traits: climber, flier, poisonous, or swimmer."
"You can grant monsters created by Conjuration spells the frightening trait."

Here is the list:

Climber
Flier
Poisonous
Swimmer
Pack Fighting
Infectious
Frightening
Horrifying

It makes sense to add the senses here:

Shadowsight
Darksight
Truesight
Sightless

As for talents, the abilities granted by ancestry are talents. Inside those talents are phrases such as:
"until you use this talent again"

I am going to try to parse the equipment lists. It looks complicated. I will test the ancestries.

spoofer
October 29th, 2021, 16:39
How do I implement these two types of armor?
Soft Leather Agility + 1
Mail 15

What do I put in the Armor slot and what do I put into the Bonus slot?

Next, it seems that the weight of an item is not part of the game, and so the weight box on the item description can be removed.

Thanks, K

damned
October 29th, 2021, 23:21
How do I implement these two types of armor?
Soft Leather Agility + 1
Mail 15

What do I put in the Armor slot and what do I put into the Bonus slot?

Next, it seems that the weight of an item is not part of the game, and so the weight box on the item description can be removed.

Thanks, K

I am working on Armour just now.
You will fill out either Defence or Bonus
So you would do (once next build is ready) Soft Leather, Bonus 1 or Mail, Defence 15, there will also be a field for Armor Type - Clothing|Light|Medium|Heavy
So no weight, no encumbrance?

damned
October 30th, 2021, 01:33
How many Armor could you have equipped at one time in SotDL?
Can you have Mail Armor and a Shield for example?
Or can you have Mail Armor and an Amulet of Protection?

spoofer
October 30th, 2021, 02:51
Encumbrance

You can reasonably carry or wear a number of items equal to your Strength score by holding them in your hands or strapping them to your body. If you exceed your limit, but no more than twice your Strength score, you become encumbered. While encumbered, you’re slowed and you make all Strength and Agility rolls with 1 bane.

damned
October 30th, 2021, 03:23
What is your interpretation on that in relation to Attack Rolls. All Attack Rolls are ultimately either Strength or Agility based...

damned
October 30th, 2021, 14:43
I have added some automation to Misfire. I will later get actual dice instead of RNG for the chance and damage
I have made small changes to the Items sheets
I have locked some other auto-calc cells on the Char Sheet
I have added Armor to the Charsheet - you either set a Defence Value or a Defence Bonus. When you equip the Armor it will calc the Defence.
I think I still need to add the Defence that some weapons can give
Have removed Weight from Inventory (but not yet from Items)
Have added Encumbrance calculation - the issue is for ammo - if you add 20 arrows you will be encumbered - not sure how to handle that yet or is ammo tracking not really important?

For Cumbersome and other Boon/Bane rolls right now they are a 2 step process. You work out if there is Boon or Bane to roll and you roll them. Then you make your actual roll and the Boon/Bane will be added.
Tomorrow is mostly chores so I might not get anything else done tomorrow...

Check the Forge...

spoofer
October 31st, 2021, 00:18
Rules...

Tracking Ammunition
The importance of tracking ammunition varies from group to group. Check with your GM to see if any of the following optional rules are being used.
Ammunition Recovery
When using ammunition other than bullets, you can recover about half of every projectile used.
Abstract System
You are assumed to have enough ammunition to use your ranged weapon up to five times. After, whenever you attack with a weapon that uses ammunition and the total of your roll is 0 or less, you run out of ammunition for that weapon and you cannot make ranged attacks with the weapon until you replenish your stores.

Ideas...
Encumbrance Total should not count unequiped items. A player should unequip ammunition. Instead, the character is required to carry a quiver, case, pouch, etc.
In order to actually use the ammo rules, the player needs some way to track ammo use. How about adding another little white box that counts up by one every time the attack die is rolled? It will need to be editable. Then the player can click on it and change the value to some other number such as zero. That is enough automation for a player to use either of those optional rules.

damned
October 31st, 2021, 03:14
Not carried items (rather than unequipped) were meant to not count to Encumbrance.
I have fixed (not yet live).
I dont personally care much for tracking ammo.
I will think on that thanks.

Gwydion
October 31st, 2021, 14:30
Not carried items (rather than unequipped) were meant to not count to Encumbrance.
I have fixed (not yet live).
I dont personally care much for tracking ammo.
I will think on that thanks.

Agreed on the ammo tracking.... Armor looks good! Anyway way to not allow two different armors to be equipped so they don't stack? Probably not but thought I would ask.

damned
October 31st, 2021, 14:38
I did ask if there are times you can have more than one type of armor on.
Mail + Shield
or
Mail + Amulet of Protection

I think I have ammo solved...
But it came at the cost of many chores so Im in trouble...

Gwydion
October 31st, 2021, 14:41
I did ask if there are times you can have more than one type of armor on.
Mail + Shield
or
Mail + Amulet of Protection

I think I have ammo solved...
But it came at the cost of many chores so Im in trouble...

Good point. I missed that but true. Nice on ammo! Sorry about the chores... :) It certainly can be a rabbit hole.....

damned
October 31st, 2021, 14:48
New Build uploaded.

You will need to open, unlock and relock every piece of equipment, armor, weapons to update their fields.

Ammo works like this.

In the Item you must tick Uses Ammo
Then each time you fire it will decrement ammo by 1 until it reaches 0
At 0 it will keep firing unless you roll 0 or less and then you will run out of ammo, the field will change to -1 and the Attack button will be greyed out.

spoofer
November 3rd, 2021, 03:13
I am playing around with things. It is looking really awesome. I have some comments...

I drop an ancestry and get an error. I think it is the same as before, right? I have named my character.
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/managerChar.lua"]:645: attempt to concatenate a nil value

"loaded" starts with a lower case letter. All of the other pop ups start with a capital letter.

Some of the boxes in the weapons stats row on the main tab are missing the pop up explanation when you cursor over them.

I really like the look of the Notes tab. I find the Other tab difficult to work with. I really like the flashing cursor and the lines to write on when I write notes. I wish the Other tab had those cosmetic features.

As part of the character creation, you are suppused to do the following...
"To help play your character in a consistent manner, come
up with a couple of positive traits and at least one negative
trait, noting them somewhere on your character sheet."
That is the Traits box in Other, right? I cannot seem to type there. It looks like it wants links, but there is nothing to link to.

I have parsed all of the text from chapter 1 as reference. I have also added equipment. I have two questions.

How do I make a list of lists in the reference manual? I want equipment to open up to armor, weapons, misc. equipment, etc., and then each of those to open up as lists. Right now, everything is in one huge list.

Is the parcels functionality available? I see the party sheet, so I ask. I want to make parcels for the starting inventory that a player can drag and drop. I tested this, and it worked in the D&D rule set. I do not see "parcels" listed as an option for the sidebar.

Cheers, K.

damned
November 3rd, 2021, 13:00
I am still unable to replicate the error you refer to:

That line of code reads -

msg.text = "We welcome the " .. DB.getValue(DB.getPath(nodeSource) .. ".name") .. " " .. sName;

So if its not the Character that is namless perhaps it is its Ancestry that has been disowned?

Thanks - will fix loaded
Im still working out how to display the tooltips when that field has no value which is where I think this is occurring.

I had made an error on that Tab. The bigger fields should have been Formatted Text fields and I have fixed this as well as tidying up placement of the text. I much prefer formatted text to underlines so... try the new build and I hope you come around...

For Ancestry, Paths, Professions, Languages and Traits these all now have an icon that you can click to open the correct campaign tool to drag data from onto your charsheet. Hopefully that will make it more clear to you.

Put your Items into Groups/Categories. I think that will fix it.

Parcels are available to me...

New build uploaded. Next is spells...

spoofer
November 6th, 2021, 20:26
Re: that error...

I played around with it, and I figured out the following.
When I create a new character sheet, name it, create a new ancestry, name it, and drop the ancestry to the character sheet, it worked.
I then exported the mod file, and deleted the ancestry and the character.
Next, I restarted FG, opened up my mod file in the library, created and named a new character and tried to drop the ancestry from the library. That caused an error.

Re: other stuff

I found parcels, etc. Thanks for your help. That all worked great now. The little button that opens up the traits is a great feature. Nice touch!

I have developed parsing tools for the ancestries, the items, and the spells. The spells output xml needs to be reworked to match what you come up with. I am now doing the NPCs. They are tricky.

damned
November 6th, 2021, 23:20
Thank you for that.
That will need to be fixed...

damned
November 7th, 2021, 12:58
Well... that has cost me over 14 hours of coding/recoding already.
Please retest when you can.
I havent had a chance to test Weapons/Armor to see if that also needs updating for correct access to Module data....

Uploading to Forge now.

spoofer
November 8th, 2021, 13:03
Tested... ancestries, weapons, and armor all work when dropped from the library.

damned
November 10th, 2021, 19:59
Thanks spoofer

Can you guys give me a good explanation of when you do dice attacker and defender?

spoofer
November 10th, 2021, 23:14
I have never played the game so I may be missing something. Here is what I was able to figure out.

First off, here is what there is not:
no initiative rolls
no rolls for healing hit points

And what there is:
Attack rolls
Challenge rolls (covers both skill check-like rolls, and saving throw-like rolls)
Damage rolls
Boon/bane rolls
Random table rolls
Fate rolls

When the attacker attacks, there are situations that require an attack roll, a challenge roll, or both.

Here are some examples of each:

"Make a Will attack roll against the target’s Agility. On a success, the target takes 1d6 damage."
"Each creature in the area takes half the damage on a success with an Agility challenge roll."
"You make the attack roll with 1 bane. On a success, if the target is your Size or smaller, it must make an Agility challenge roll. On a failure, the target falls prone."

Here is an attempt to answer your question.

The active character...
Makes challenge rolls to do various things such as move, hide, make a perception check, help others, etc.
Makes attack rolls to hit a target
Makes damage rolls to apply damage
Makes fate rolls when dying

The target character...
Makes challenge rolls to resist something
Makes a concentration roll (Will challenge roll) if takes damage or gains Insanity while concentrating

Any other situations?

Gwydion
November 10th, 2021, 23:46
All the above is true. In general, Damned other than some of the alternate rules from the Forbidden Rules book (I think), there aren't defense rolls. Either the player attacks, the monster attacks or there is a challenge roll. Sometimes attacks like spells can be against the monsters stat (like agility) instead of simply against the static 10 of a challenge roll.

damned
November 11th, 2021, 07:04
All the above is true. In general, Damned other than some of the alternate rules from the Forbidden Rules book (I think), there aren't defense rolls. Either the player attacks, the monster attacks or there is a challenge roll. Sometimes attacks like spells can be against the monsters stat (like agility) instead of simply against the static 10 of a challenge roll.

So when its vs Agility is not an opposed roll but a roll with Agility as the TN?

Gwydion
November 11th, 2021, 12:24
So when its vs Agility is not an opposed roll but a roll with Agility as the TN?

Yes. If the target's agility is 14 then you are rolling against 14 as the target number and not an oppsoed roll.

damned
November 13th, 2021, 02:20
Can you confirm how characters learn spells?
How many spells would a level 2 character have? What about level 6 or 10?

Gwydion
November 13th, 2021, 13:19
Can you confirm how characters learn spells?

I have always found the link below very useful as this isn't a simple answer. You must first learn a tradition. Once you learn that tradition, you automatically gain one level 0 spell of your choice within that tradition. However, for magicians, they have a feature called "Cantrip" which allows them to gain an add'l level 0 spell when they learn a traditiion. (So every time they learn a tradition, they automatically get to pick two, level 0 spells).

When you level up you typically will see a feature called "magic" which will allow you to make a choice. Usually the choice is something like "learn a tradition or learn a spell from a tradition you already know". If you pick "learn a spell", you can choose a spell of a rank equal to or les than your power score.

So, to answer your question is isn't as simple as knowing the level to know how many spells a character would have.

Let me know if you want to know about number of castings yet or if this is enough to start.

https://schwalbentertainment.com/2016/02/25/faq-spells-and-traditions/

damned
November 13th, 2021, 13:27

so somewhere from half your level to potentially as high as 3x your level?

Gwydion
November 13th, 2021, 14:15
If you're just looking for a range, I think that would work.

damned
November 14th, 2021, 05:31
The enquiry is mostly about character sheet layout
How much room to allocate to spells
Where should I record traditions...?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49956

spoofer
November 14th, 2021, 13:29
How about organizing the spells into groups, and then adding separator lines above spell groups?

So the layout would look like...

spell group 1 name (=tradition)
spell 1
spell 2
spell group 2 name
spell 1
spell 2
spell 3
etc.

Everything could be sorted alphabetically.

spoofer
November 14th, 2021, 13:31
Are the spells in two columns? That is a good idea. How about adding a vertical gap, as seen for example between weapons and armor? That would make reading the list of spells easier.

damned
November 14th, 2021, 14:05
Ive uploaded a new build.
Some of the updates are:

Start of spell support
> Spell Data Type
> Spell List on Charsheet
> Start of Spell Damage support
> double click Spell Name to write spell notes to chat
> double click Spells Cast to expend a slot
> once you have used a spell maximum number of times it gets greyed out (v1. of this)
> Max spell usage per level based on Power is set automatically

Added Add/Edit/Delete buttons to
> Weapons (no Add - reasons exist)
> Armor (no Add - reasons exist)
> Spells

Added more Tooltips to
> Weapons
> Spells

Changed Boons/Banes to default to 0 value but will still roll 1 if you roll it with 0

Started Inventory Tab
> Gear list
> Encumbrance
> Coin
> hmmm... do Notes go here and only have 3 tabs...

Character Tab
> Color changes on frames and headings

Notes Tab
> or do Notes go here and have 4 tabs...?

Find the new build in the Forge

spoofer
November 14th, 2021, 16:40
Amazing work!

i am playing around with it and managed to generate some errors when I made a new spell and started filling in the details.

[11/14/2021 11:35:32 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "tradition"]:4: attempt to index a nil value
[11/14/2021 11:35:44 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "type"]:4: attempt to index a nil value
[11/14/2021 11:36:00 AM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "tradition"]:4: attempt to index a nil value
[11/14/2021 11:36:02 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "name"]:4: attempt to index a nil value

spoofer
November 14th, 2021, 22:16
I have parsed all of the spell data and added them to my mod file. A few observations...
Dragging and dropping from the library to the character sheet works as expected and does not generate the previously mentioned errors
Some of the spaces are not large enough. For example, the following text does not fit in the Attack 20+ space. "The target also becomes blinded for 1 round."
What is supposed to go into the space labelled "Roll"?
In the spells section of the main tab, the spell name is black font on dark gray background. The lack of contrast makes the spell names very difficult to read.

damned
November 15th, 2021, 01:03
They are grey because you dont have enough castings of those spells - bump up your power and see what happens
I think all the locking for Spells is set correctly - Im having a hard time of locking Paths but Moon Wizard has pointed me in another direction that might help.
The space thing... Im not sure what I will do there. I might have to change them to expandable fields but that will also mean redoing all the anchoring and the spell windowclass
Once you have resolved your Grey issue (see above) when you double click on a spell it will also send all that info to chat which is useful when you want to do something tricky with a spell etc and you and the GM (and maybe everyone else) wants to help with interpreting the spell.
For Roll field - Im still feeling my way into the ruleset and trying to work out if there are any Rolls (other than damage) that are associated with some spells and then how I will approach the usability of that. If it happens that there are not any Rolls then that field will get the chop.

damned
November 15th, 2021, 01:05
Ahhhh - I think I know what is causing that issue with new Spells... I have an idea how to fix.

damned
November 15th, 2021, 01:10
Also in your screenshot you are in Edit mode on the spells list. Click the edit button again... maybe the subtle edit icons are too... subtle...?

damned
November 15th, 2021, 01:10
And finally - are you no longer in Japan? because you are keeping some odd hours?

spoofer
November 15th, 2021, 15:29
I tried a new character. I gave it a name, a path, and leveled it up. He has a power level of 2 now and spell slots. I added some low level spells, but no luck. It sounds like you have it figured out, and I look forward to seeing it in action.

As for the lack of space issue, how about a pop up window? You cursor over the text, and a pop up appears with the full text. Once a player has read the full text a few times, he or she will remember it, and then the abbreviated version will be more appreciated.

As for my hours, I am a professor affiliated with a university in Japan. However, I am currently on sabbatical for one year, until April, 2022. I am visiting the University of Toronto in Canada, hence the hours.

damned
November 15th, 2021, 22:12
Thank you spoofer

I have fixed the new Spell bug
And the greyed out spells was because the Used count was defaulting to 5 which is more than your number of spell points.
remove and re-add spells now and let me know please.

Thanks for the troubleshooting.

spoofer
November 15th, 2021, 22:49
I see it now, but only sometimes.
I gave myself spell slots up to level 3, and then I made a level four spell, thinking that it would be grayed out since I have zero level 4 spell slots.
When I dragged the spell from the Spells window, it was not grayed out.
When I created a new spell directly on the character sheet and set the level to 4 it was not grayed out.
When I created a second copy of a level 4 spell by dragging one already on the character sheet and dropping it, it was grayed out.

It looks great, by the way. Also, spell slots are actually called "castings".

Expend the Casting: You have a limited number of
castings of each spell you learn. Your Power score
determines the number of castings you have for each
spell by rank, as shown on the Castings table.

damned
November 16th, 2021, 12:39
Ive changed the wording to use Castings hopefully i got them all.
I think I have nailed all the spells becoming active.inactive in the right scenarios now.
Some tweaks to edit buttons.
Added link to Spells list on Spells windowlist

damned
November 20th, 2021, 12:49
Sorry havent been posting updates but have loaded 3 new builds over last 3 days.

Started working on NPCs - these are going to be a challenge
Started reskinning the game... ambivalent with this new direction...
More spell and charsheet updates...

damned
November 21st, 2021, 13:17
More NPC work and started work on the Combat Tracker
This rabbit hole be deep...

New build loaded.
Feedback helpful...

spoofer
November 21st, 2021, 16:40
Damned,

Are you using the Ruleset Wizard to create this? I wish I had the ability to use that... so much so that I have switched to Lua as a first step. I am in the process of recoding my work in Lua. That is going to take a while, as I am learning Lua as I go.

Things look good. What sort of feedback / testing are you looking for?

damned
November 22nd, 2021, 00:40
I am using the Ruleset Wizard.
You can create quite a lot without any coding using the RW but you still need to learn how CoreRPG is built/layered etc.
To make a full system you still need to learn some Lua.
The RW definitely lowers the bar on starting a project and can speed up quite a few parts.
If you are a competent FG dev then the RW might not speed anything up for you - but for most people I think it is an amazing tool.

I have a tonne of videos on Youtube on developing using the RW if you are interested.
Start with the XMas challenge.

As to what to test -

Adding Monsters in to NPCs.
Do these fields (I know you are building a parse tool - but I need to make sure the fields are right first) work for all situations?
Are they logical?
Is the layout acceptable?
Im working on Attacks - the attack roll works (none are opposed just yet) - and Damage
Some monsters have special damage associated with attacks
I havent implemented anything for 20+ yet
I intend to match the damage type with Immune/Vulnerable at some point

Ive just started on the CT

spoofer
November 24th, 2021, 13:05
I am wrestling with paths. I am almost done. Once finished, I will switch to testing for a bit.

Gwydion
November 24th, 2021, 13:16
I am using the Ruleset Wizard.
You can create quite a lot without any coding using the RW but you still need to learn how CoreRPG is built/layered etc.
To make a full system you still need to learn some Lua.
The RW definitely lowers the bar on starting a project and can speed up quite a few parts.
If you are a competent FG dev then the RW might not speed anything up for you - but for most people I think it is an amazing tool.

I have a tonne of videos on Youtube on developing using the RW if you are interested.
Start with the XMas challenge.

As to what to test -

Adding Monsters in to NPCs.
Do these fields (I know you are building a parse tool - but I need to make sure the fields are right first) work for all situations?
Are they logical?
Is the layout acceptable?
Im working on Attacks - the attack roll works (none are opposed just yet) - and Damage
Some monsters have special damage associated with attacks
I havent implemented anything for 20+ yet
I intend to match the damage type with Immune/Vulnerable at some point

Ive just started on the CT

I'll try to start testing too when I'm back home in Denver. Will be home this evening.

spoofer
November 24th, 2021, 17:35
Paths done. Various observations

The Path Data Window...

The path type changable even when data is locked.
Many features have the identical name. For example, there are about 100 different versions of the feature called "Magic". In order to differentiate them, I append the path and level in brackets. Example: "Magic (Magician 1)"
As a consequence, the feature name space is not long enough and some names are clipped.

The Character Sheet...

The Path boxes are editable. They should not be. They should be the same as, for example, Languages.
The character sheet does not have an actions tab. I am not sure what to do with the features that my character has. If D&D then these are dropped on the actions tab.

An example of such an action...

You can use an action to heal damage equal to your healing rate. Then, choose one creature other than you that is within short range. The target also heals damage equal to its healing rate. Once you use this talent, you cannot use it again until after you complete a rest.

Ideally there will be a mechanism for expenditure and recovery (maybe a simple used? check box)

That is all for now. Next is NPCs.

Making universal changes in the data is very easy, so no matter how much the formatting and functionality of the components change going forward, it will be easy to reflect those changes in the data.

spoofer
November 24th, 2021, 17:37
I am very interested in those videos. Xmas is coming. I will need to do that challenge. :)

damned
November 24th, 2021, 23:12
Excellent feedback.
I havent even started on locking for Paths - there are subwindows and subwindows inside subwindows.
That one will require several sanity checks.

I will work thru your points tonight/tomorrow.

spoofer
November 25th, 2021, 00:33
Observations about the NPCs' xml and character sheet...

There is both attack_boon and attack_boons, but I think there should only be one.
A see you opted for three tabs instead of two. If the GM has to flip back and forth between "stats" and attacks tabs, it might be a pain. On the other hand, if all of the "stats" info is on the combat tracker (I am thinking 5E D&D here), then three tabs will work really well.
The information under the "stats" tab is not stats. That information is above the tab. I think that "Traits" would be a better name.
The NPC sheet is missing the token slot.
"Description" label on the description tab is cut off. You could change the label to Notes or make the tab wider.
The NPC sheet looks great, and feels logical. It seems to be complete.

I love what you did with the theme, except for the sidebar. Having both black borders and the red crayon borders around the buttons makes the sidebar look too busy.

spoofer
November 25th, 2021, 19:34
Re: the NPC xml... Are the following the same thing or different?

<attack_link type="windowreference">
<class>attack</class>
<recordname />
</attack_link>

<item_link type="windowreference">
<class>attack</class>
<recordname />
</item_link>

When I open up an attack record, I get the following message in the chat window (not the console error log):
databasenode = { reference.npcs.id-00001.attacklist.id-00001@Shadow of the Demon Lord }

spoofer
November 26th, 2021, 02:38
My parser crashed on Animated Corpse. It has an dash for Intellect. What should I do with this? It needs to be a number. Set it to zero or leave it blank?

ANIMATED CORPSE DIFFICULTY 1
Size 1/2 or 1 frightening undead
Perception 5 (–5); sightless
Defense 8; Health 10
Strength 10 (+0), Agility 8 (–2), Intellect —, Will 15 (+5)

damned
November 26th, 2021, 02:41
The database will not accept non numbers for a number field.
I think it would be best to set it to 0 unless there are creatures that have 0 for intellect also?

damned
November 26th, 2021, 02:42
I have all your other reports also and am working through them.

damned
November 26th, 2021, 11:33
Re: the NPC xml... Are the following the same thing or different?

<attack_link type="windowreference">
<class>attack</class>
<recordname />
</attack_link>

<item_link type="windowreference">
<class>attack</class>
<recordname />
</item_link>

When I open up an attack record, I get the following message in the chat window (not the console error log):
databasenode = { reference.npcs.id-00001.attacklist.id-00001@Shadow of the Demon Lord }

I have found the attack_link/item_link source and it will be fixed in next build
I have removed the debug notice on opening NPC attacks

thanks

damned
November 26th, 2021, 11:59
Paths done. Various observations

The Path Data Window...

The path type changable even when data is locked.
Many features have the identical name. For example, there are about 100 different versions of the feature called "Magic". In order to differentiate them, I append the path and level in brackets. Example: "Magic (Magician 1)"
As a consequence, the feature name space is not long enough and some names are clipped.

The Character Sheet...

The Path boxes are editable. They should not be. They should be the same as, for example, Languages.
The character sheet does not have an actions tab. I am not sure what to do with the features that my character has. If D&D then these are dropped on the actions tab.

An example of such an action...

You can use an action to heal damage equal to your healing rate. Then, choose one creature other than you that is within short range. The target also heals damage equal to its healing rate. Once you use this talent, you cannot use it again until after you complete a rest.

Ideally there will be a mechanism for expenditure and recovery (maybe a simple used? check box)

That is all for now. Next is NPCs.

Making universal changes in the data is very easy, so no matter how much the formatting and functionality of the components change going forward, it will be easy to reflect those changes in the data.

I am still working my way thru Paths locking and you will probably have to report this one several times more :bandit
I have made the Features field on the Paths data type a little longer.
Something you havent noted - is these probably need to be recorded on the Character sheet somewhere?

I have now locked the Path name field on the charsheet from being edited once you add a path.
Ok... actions... that is going to take some work. Assuming that Actions might need a field the size of Weapons or Spells where do you think it would be best to place this? New tab? Existing tab? It probably goes best with Weapons and Spells but there really is not a lot of room there... I could make spells half width / single column and put actions beside...

damned
November 26th, 2021, 12:45
Observations about the NPCs' xml and character sheet...

There is both attack_boon and attack_boons, but I think there should only be one.
A see you opted for three tabs instead of two. If the GM has to flip back and forth between "stats" and attacks tabs, it might be a pain. On the other hand, if all of the "stats" info is on the combat tracker (I am thinking 5E D&D here), then three tabs will work really well.
The information under the "stats" tab is not stats. That information is above the tab. I think that "Traits" would be a better name.
The NPC sheet is missing the token slot.
"Description" label on the description tab is cut off. You could change the label to Notes or make the tab wider.
The NPC sheet looks great, and feels logical. It seems to be complete.

I love what you did with the theme, except for the sidebar. Having both black borders and the red crayon borders around the buttons makes the sidebar look too busy.

I have found and fixed attack boon/s
Some of these monsters have a LOT of info in them and I cant fit it all in 2 tabs.
I think that all the actions that you will ROLL in combat will be in the CT but for a complex monster like a Barghest the GM will need to open and read the monster to understand how to play it in the encounter
You are right about Stats but i couldnt think of another descriptor - I will try Traits for now but there is that other use of traits in the game also.
Yes... tokens... OK. Tokens are done.
Changed Description to Desc

Im going to hold off any more theme changes until I see what needs doing with the December 7 update.

damned
November 26th, 2021, 12:47
I am very interested in those videos. Xmas is coming. I will need to do that challenge. :)

Im mulling over doing another XMas challenge this year. I will need to find a rules lite game that I have some interest in... and work out how to avoid my good wifes wrath! There have been so many improvements and enhancements to the RW that I think a new video series is warranted... its just time... or lack of it!

spoofer
November 26th, 2021, 14:42
I made a token. I tried to use the same artistic style as the rules set. I took the character from the index in the rule book. As I did so, I wondered if permission is needed. I know nothing of copyrights, etc.

spoofer
November 26th, 2021, 15:28
>>Ok... actions... that is going to take some work. Assuming that Actions might need a field the size of Weapons or Spells where do you think it would be best to place this? >>New tab? Existing tab? It probably goes best with Weapons and Spells but there really is not a lot of room there... I could make spells half width / single column and put >>actions beside...

I see what you mean. This question is probably best addressed by someone who has played the game a fair bit. Meanwhile, some random thoughts...
There are four relevant sections: weapons, armor, spells, and features. Is it possible to do either of these?
1. Expand and collapse the sections. If so, then make two expandable sections below weapons.
2. Create links to windows that open up. When you click on a link, it opens up a new window. The player playing the fighter will appreciate not having to look at the empty spells section all of the time.

If you simply have to make it work by tweaking what is already there, then reduce weapons to three rows. Squeeze speed and power in between insanity and corruption, and remove the white box behind corruption. That will free up a huge chunk of space to work with. You can then put features between stats and weapons. As a ball park figure, you gain one to three features per level, so you need to be able to fit about 20 to 25 features in the features space. That is two columns of 12 rows, or three columns of 7 or 8.

Gwydion
November 26th, 2021, 15:56
Im mulling over doing another XMas challenge this year. I will need to find a rules lite game that I have some interest in... and work out how to avoid my good wifes wrath! There have been so many improvements and enhancements to the RW that I think a new video series is warranted... its just time... or lack of it!

Hmmm... Some ideas for what its worth that I think are rules-light for the most part?

Delve
Rangers of Shadow Deep

I converted both of them in MoreCore for FGC a few years ago but just basic stuff. Not a full-blown ruleset.

spoofer
November 26th, 2021, 17:05
NPC sheet is missing reach. Reach is defined as...
Most creatures have a reach of 1 or their Size, whichever is larger.
It is easy enough to remember, but it would be nice if it was amongst the stats. You coded reach in the xml, so I guess you intended to add it?

spoofer
November 26th, 2021, 17:19
Armor is missing from the NPC sheet. Is that ok? In D&D, there are spells that do different things if the target is wearing metal armor, etc. What about this game?

NAME DIFFICULTY #
Size # [frightening/horrifying] descriptor (special)
Perception # (+#); special senses
Defense # (armor); Health #

damned
November 27th, 2021, 00:38
I forgot to upload last night.
Just done now.
Will work through the new items and some CT stuff over the weekend but also running a Game tonight and other commitments.

damned
November 27th, 2021, 03:51
>>Ok... actions... that is going to take some work. Assuming that Actions might need a field the size of Weapons or Spells where do you think it would be best to place this? >>New tab? Existing tab? It probably goes best with Weapons and Spells but there really is not a lot of room there... I could make spells half width / single column and put >>actions beside...

I see what you mean. This question is probably best addressed by someone who has played the game a fair bit. Meanwhile, some random thoughts...
There are four relevant sections: weapons, armor, spells, and features. Is it possible to do either of these?
1. Expand and collapse the sections. If so, then make two expandable sections below weapons.
2. Create links to windows that open up. When you click on a link, it opens up a new window. The player playing the fighter will appreciate not having to look at the empty spells section all of the time.

If you simply have to make it work by tweaking what is already there, then reduce weapons to three rows. Squeeze speed and power in between insanity and corruption, and remove the white box behind corruption. That will free up a huge chunk of space to work with. You can then put features between stats and weapons. As a ball park figure, you gain one to three features per level, so you need to be able to fit about 20 to 25 features in the features space. That is two columns of 12 rows, or three columns of 7 or 8.

Ok. Spent a couple of hours working on collapsing Weapons, Armor, Spell lists
Am adding an empty list for Actions (only empty because I havent looked into Actions yet) and a populated list for Features.

damned
November 27th, 2021, 04:33
NPC sheet is missing reach. Reach is defined as...
Most creatures have a reach of 1 or their Size, whichever is larger.
It is easy enough to remember, but it would be nice if it was amongst the stats. You coded reach in the xml, so I guess you intended to add it?

The coding in the XML was from the inherited CoreRPG base.
I have added Reach in with a minimum and a default value of 1.

damned
November 27th, 2021, 04:35
Armor is missing from the NPC sheet. Is that ok? In D&D, there are spells that do different things if the target is wearing metal armor, etc. What about this game?

NAME DIFFICULTY #
Size # [frightening/horrifying] descriptor (special)
Perception # (+#); special senses
Defense # (armor); Health #

I dont know if this is required in SotDL as yet but i have added a new field called defense_tags to store a descriptor such as metal

damned
November 27th, 2021, 07:09
New build uploading now

Nyghtmare
November 27th, 2021, 20:37
Hi there, Damned. I have just started checking out this ruleset, mainly from the point of view of someone that will be inputting the books into it (for my own personal usage, of course).

One thing that I have noticed so far is that when I go to format text as bold, nothing happens regardless of whether I use CTRL-B or the radial menu. For italics, it looks more like superscript text than italicized test.

Edited to Add: This is in a new campaign with no extensions running, not even a theme, and this past Tuesday was when I ran my last update for FG.

damned
November 27th, 2021, 23:26
On what screens are you seeing this?

damned
November 28th, 2021, 04:34
Hmmm... Some ideas for what its worth that I think are rules-light for the most part?

Delve
Rangers of Shadow Deep

I converted both of them in MoreCore for FGC a few years ago but just basic stuff. Not a full-blown ruleset.

Rangers of Shadow Deep is a system I might look at more fully in the future.

spoofer
November 28th, 2021, 13:02

I tried this. I see it too, for example, in the notes section of the players sheet, and in the body of a story entry.

damned
November 28th, 2021, 13:45
Thank you - I have found it.
Ill work on a fix.

spoofer
November 28th, 2021, 14:23
Damned,

To the right of DEFENSE on the the NPC sheet is a box for DEFENSE BONUS. This stat is not listed in the monster entries in the rule book. Is it used in the game?

Nyghtmare
November 28th, 2021, 21:35

Story entries are where I noticed this.

I just updated and checked again.

Formatting still does not work in story entries or notes, nor in the text (description) fields for NPCs, paths, professions, spells, or traits.

Nyghtmare
November 28th, 2021, 21:36
Thank you - I have found it.
Ill work on a fix.

Sorry... I replied before I saw this...

Nyghtmare
November 28th, 2021, 21:48
By the way, a minor technicality of sorts.

In SotDL, they don't use the word "level" for spells, but rather refer to them as a "rank".

So what would be a "level 1 spell" in most RPGs becomes a "rank 1 spell" in this system.

Just a minor thing I noticed. :)

spoofer
November 29th, 2021, 21:33
Three things...

I think the following code in the NPC data is not used, right?

<notes type="formattedtext">
<p />
</notes>

To the right of word "immune" is a button that when clicked produces the following message in the chat...
databasenode = { npc.id-00001 }
Is this a debugging feature?

I have nowhere to put the titles of feature on the NPC sheet. For example, when I parse the following...

Watery Form A water genie takes half damage from
weapons. When it takes damage from cold, for 1 round it
gains a 1d6 bonus to Defense and is slowed.
I am not sure what to do with the first two words. I could throw them away, or if bold becomes an option then I will keep them and make them bold font. I may insert an line break right after as well.

damned
November 29th, 2021, 23:02
Three things...

I think the following code in the NPC data is not used, right?

<notes type="formattedtext">
<p />
</notes>

To the right of word "immune" is a button that when clicked produces the following message in the chat...
databasenode = { npc.id-00001 }
Is this a debugging feature?

I have nowhere to put the titles of feature on the NPC sheet. For example, when I parse the following...

I am not sure what to do with the first two words. I could throw them away, or if bold becomes an option then I will keep them and make them bold font. I may insert an line break right after as well.

Correct - not used.
Yes its a debug button - what does it output on an NPC that has immunities listed?
I have removed the font definitions but those fields dont allow any formatting. I have put it in like this:

Consumed by Hellfire
When a barghest becomes incapacitated, hellfire fills a 10-yard-radius sphere centered on a point within its space, consuming its body. Each creature in the area must make an Agility challenge roll with 2 banes, taking 5d6 + 10 damage on a failure or half the damage on a success.
Life Sense
A barghest knows the location of each living creature within 1 mile of it. Such creatures cannot become hidden from the barghest, and the barghest’s attack rolls ignore banes imposed by obscurement against living targets.

damned
November 29th, 2021, 23:08
By the way, a minor technicality of sorts.

In SotDL, they don't use the word "level" for spells, but rather refer to them as a "rank".

So what would be a "level 1 spell" in most RPGs becomes a "rank 1 spell" in this system.

Just a minor thing I noticed. :)

I have adjusted in the Spell Slots
On the charsheet listing of spells
On the Spell Description

Are there other places this is wrong?

damned
November 29th, 2021, 23:09
Story entries are where I noticed this.

I just updated and checked again.

Formatting still does not work in story entries or notes, nor in the text (description) fields for NPCs, paths, professions, spells, or traits.

Stories should work. Many of the other fields you reference are string fields and they dont support any formatting.

spoofer
December 1st, 2021, 02:01
@Damned

Re NPCs...
1. The xml data items defense_bonus and space seem to be not used. Correct?
2. There is a box on the NPC sheet for defense bonus but that is not one of the stats in the game.
3. The END OF THE ROUND box cannot be typed into.
4. I think you need another tab for magic.

Example from the dryad:
MAGIC
Power 5
Enchantment presence (6), charm (3), mind bondage (2)
Nature magic acorns (6), overgrowth (3), ensnaring vines (2), brambles (2), form of the oak guardian (1)

Some questions about the magic entry. Is it possible to...
> link the spell entry to the spell record?
> automate the tracking of castings (the number of castings available is listed in brackets after the spell name)?

If no to the question about links, then an alternative is for me to add the spell record links to the description box, below the description, since that area is formatted text and it takes links.

Finally...
The descriptions box is formatted text and it looks very nice. I assume that there is some complexity or limitation preventing you from making the traits boxes formatted text. It sure would look good if I could bold font the feature names. Meanwhile, I will follow your suggestion and use line returns to offset the feature names.

spoofer
December 1st, 2021, 02:19
Please add somewhere for reach...

ATTACK OPTIONS
Chain (melee; reach +2) +4 with 1 boon (3d6 plus Drag on attack roll 20+)
Drag The chainbound moves the target 1d6 yards toward itself.

damned
December 1st, 2021, 11:38
@Damned

Re NPCs...
1. The xml data items defense_bonus and space seem to be not used. Correct?
2. There is a box on the NPC sheet for defense bonus but that is not one of the stats in the game.
3. The END OF THE ROUND box cannot be typed into.
4. I think you need another tab for magic.

Example from the dryad:
MAGIC
Power 5
Nature magic acorns (6), overgrowth (3), ensnaring vines (2), brambles (2), form of the oak guardian (1)

Some questions about the magic entry. Is it possible to...
> link the spell entry to the spell record?
> automate the tracking of castings (the number of castings available is listed in brackets after the spell name)?

If no to the question about links, then an alternative is for me to add the spell record links to the description box, below the description, since that area is formatted text and it takes links.

Finally...
The descriptions box is formatted text and it looks very nice. I assume that there is some complexity or limitation preventing you from making the traits boxes formatted text. It sure would look good if I could bold font the feature names. Meanwhile, I will follow your suggestion and use line returns to offset the feature names.

So I thought I would leave Defense Bonus in because some enemies might don armor. If you are confident that this is not needed I will remove it.
Aieee - I need to store Size as Space in the DB I think to utilise FGs token scaling... Ill update that...
That is strange behavior - you can - but you seem to have to click in a very specific area... Ill check that out further.
Should I add the same spell section from the Charsheet?

Formatted Text fields cant grow dynamically - so I can use FT but I must fix the size... that has other tradeoffs/implications.

damned
December 1st, 2021, 11:38
Please add somewhere for reach...

ATTACK OPTIONS
Chain (melee; reach +2) +4 with 1 boon (3d6 plus Drag on attack roll 20+)
Drag The chainbound moves the target 1d6 yards toward itself.

Reach is already there beside Size.

spoofer
December 2nd, 2021, 00:20
Reach is already there beside Size.
The bonus reach stacks with the base reach. However, since no NPC has both a bonus reach attack and a normal attack, it is possible to simply add any bonus reach to the base reach and report the result as simply reach. I will do that.

I need to understand size / space. Which do I use? Both? Are they the same value?

Re magic and castings...
the PC spells set up will not work for the NPCs. A PC gets a number of castings at a certain rank. In contrast, an NPC gets a certain number of castings of a specific spell. Can you implement something like the following?
A linked list with a little box to the left of each item
The number of castings available is recorded in the box
Clicking on the box reduces the number by one

Re: armor
The armor value is already included in the Defense value, so I think that you do not need a specific bonus as well. The GM can always adjust the Defense value as needed on the fly.

damned
December 2nd, 2021, 00:32
The bonus reach stacks with the base reach. However, since no NPC has both a bonus reach attack and a normal attack, it is possible to simply add any bonus reach to the base reach and report the result as simply reach. I will do that.

I need to understand size / space. Which do I use? Both? Are they the same value?

Re magic and castings...
the PC spells set up will not work for the NPCs. A PC gets a number of castings at a certain rank. In contrast, an NPC gets a certain number of castings of a specific spell. Can you implement something like the following?
A linked list with a little box to the left of each item
The number of castings available is recorded in the box
Clicking on the box reduces the number by one

Re: armor
The armor value is already included in the Defense value, so I think that you do not need a specific bonus as well. The GM can always adjust the Defense value as needed on the fly.

Ok - so we will have one value for Reach as is?
Size is the SotDL equivalent of FGs Space. As the CT and Maps know how to deal with Space already I think the best way forward is to have the Label in FG say Reach but we store it in the DB as Space.
So a similar display to PCs but record per spell castings?
I will remove the Defense Bonus field.

spoofer
December 2nd, 2021, 18:09
Yes, one value for reach, as is. No changes.

Re: on Attack Roll 20+

I have set up the attacks for Horned Ogre. Here is an image.

In my opinion, the seperate space for on Attack Roll 20+ provides no benifit since the same information needs to be repeated immediately below in the attack description. You could remove it.

The image shows my suggestion for the layout of the attack description. Any opinion?

The extra damage does not roll automatically when base damage is rolled. That is good, since it is sometimes conditional, as is the case here.

damned
December 2nd, 2021, 22:28
Yes, one value for reach, as is. No changes.

Re: on Attack Roll 20+

I have set up the attacks for Horned Ogre. Here is an image.

In my opinion, the seperate space for on Attack Roll 20+ provides no benifit since the same information needs to be repeated immediately below in the attack description. You could remove it.

The image shows my suggestion for the layout of the attack description. Any opinion?

The extra damage does not roll automatically when base damage is rolled. That is good, since it is sometimes conditional, as is the case here.

The Attack Roll 20+ data is planned to show in the CT while the text description will not.
With that in mind would you do this differently?

And yes - the extra damage is meant to be rolled separately if/when its required.

Very good - I will try that re: NPC Spells

Nyghtmare
December 3rd, 2021, 14:49
In the Paths, you are missing a Characteristic.

In addition to the 5 that you have there, a path can also provide a bonus to Defense (such as for a Level 9 Master Fighter).

This ruleset is looking amazing, even just from the data point of view here. I can't wait to see how awesome it is once more automation is in place, such as for combat and spellcasting. :)

damned
December 3rd, 2021, 21:11
In the Paths, you are missing a Characteristic.

In addition to the 5 that you have there, a path can also provide a bonus to Defense (such as for a Level 9 Master Fighter).

This ruleset is looking amazing, even just from the data point of view here. I can't wait to see how awesome it is once more automation is in place, such as for combat and spellcasting. :)

Good catch. I love it when they single use exceptions :bandit:

Spoofer I'll add this one in today.

damned
December 5th, 2021, 03:36

Good catch. I love it when they single use exceptions :bandit:

Turns out there are lots of references to Defense.
Which cracked open a big can of worms as it seems I have used both Defence and Defense.
So I did a significant reworking of the Defense calculations and it now correctly accounts for Armor being equipped (until one of you find somewhere its not working) but wont correctly calculate everything if you equip duplicate/overlapping armor such as Scale Mail and Hard Leather. Players will still have to make sure they dont equip multiple shields etc.

Spoofer you are going to need to review code for instances of Defence and defence and replace them all with Defense and defense in your side project.

New build 2.02 being posted shortly

spoofer
December 5th, 2021, 22:50
Damned, I will take a look at the xml coding for the defense entries and fix accordingly.

Re: NPC magic, it looks really good. I love the simplicity of it. One thing though, it is not possible to drop a spell record from the side bar onto the NPC magic tab. Is this a bug?

damned
December 5th, 2021, 23:10
Damned, I will take a look at the xml coding for the defense entries and fix accordingly.

Re: NPC magic, it looks really good. I love the simplicity of it. One thing though, it is not possible to drop a spell record from the side bar onto the NPC magic tab. Is this a bug?

Yes that does sound like a bug.
I didnt actually test it...! :pirate:

Be aware all Size references (in the DB not the display) will be changing to Space too.
This I think affects PCs and Ancestries.
That will populate the CT and Maps properly then.
That will be in the next build which will be 12 or so hours away.
Hopefully I can have NPC magic resolved then too.

spoofer
December 5th, 2021, 23:32
I will add size to the TO DO list.

The power stat is missing from the NPC sheet.

MAGIC
Power 5
Nature magic acorns (6), overgrowth (3), ensnaring vines
(2), brambles (2), form of the oak guardian (1)

damned
December 5th, 2021, 23:56
This should be in the individual spell entries on the NPC sheet?
Per spell or one entry on the NPC sheet?

spoofer
December 6th, 2021, 01:48
This should be in the individual spell entries on the NPC sheet?
Per spell or one entry on the NPC sheet?

One entry per NPC.

I looked into it and as far as I can tell POWER is only used to determine number of castings. In the case of NPCs, the number of castings for each spell is also recorded in brackets after the spell's name, so essentially POWER is redundant. Never the less, there may be ability or item that interacts with POWER.

Power
Power describes a creature’s ability to harness and direct
magical power. A creature’s Power score determines the
highest rank spell it can learn and how often it can cast
the spells it knows.

damned
December 6th, 2021, 02:14
We will add it in.
If there is something that needs it we will need a separate entry as the castings will go down as they are expended.

thanks
Damian

damned
December 6th, 2021, 07:58
new build uploading now.
will have to see what Tuesdays updates do to all my rulesets...
this might be the last update for a week!

spoofer
December 7th, 2021, 00:21
How should I deal with NPC spell records?

The spells are listed in SotDL Player. Should I link to these data? Will linking automatically populate all of the fields, such as the name field? For example, for the NPC spell...

<arcane_armor>
<locked type="number">1</locked>
<spell_link>
<class>spell</class>
<recordname>spell.arcane_armor@Shadow of the Demon Lord (Player)</recordname>
</spell_link>
<used type="number">2</used>
</arcane_armor>

Or should I copy the data over completely and fill out the xml code for each spell that the NPC knows? Yesterday I was able to get links to work but today nothing is working. Frustrating. Assuming that I can even get that link to work, then I can think of pros and cons to both. Copying the data over completely is the safest way to make sure that everything works smoothly.

damned
December 7th, 2021, 00:45
How should I deal with NPC spell records?

The spells are listed in SotDL Player. Should I link to these data? Will linking automatically populate all of the fields, such as the name field? For example, for the NPC spell...

Or should I copy the data over completely and fill out the xml code for each spell that the NPC knows? Yesterday I was able to get links to work but today nothing is working. Frustrating. Assuming that I can even get that link to work, then I can think of pros and cons to both. Copying the data over completely is the safest way to make sure that everything works smoothly.

Hi Spoofer,

I will leave it up to you as to whether you link them or create new data.
My tests yesterday before I pushed new build had the drag and drop from Spells working (but am not at my home computer).
Drag and Drop or Linking wont populate Power because Power will vary from NPC to NPC - maybe that is the key to choosing which way to go.

Can you tell me more info about what isnt working with the linking?
I did change the List slightly yesterday to allow Drag and Drop from spells and that might be impacting your linking.
Possibly email the data source sample and steps to reproduce?

Nyghtmare
December 7th, 2021, 19:46
In the NPC entries, the line that has Defense and Health also has Insanity and Corruption, which fit in before the ability scores. For example:

AMPHISBAENA --- DIFFICULTY 25
Size 2 monster
Perception 14 (+4); darksight
Defense 16; Health 30; Insanity —; Corruption 0
Strength 13 (+3), Agility 15 (+5), Intellect 8 (–2), Will 11 (+1)
Speed 12
Immune damage from cold; dazed, impaired, stunned

Question: Do we include the word Immune as part of that field, or just the words after it?

damned
December 7th, 2021, 20:33
Do any of the NPCs have values for those fields?
If they do I can add them in.

Do not put the word Immune in
After you enter the values double click the green arrow and see if they are all reported

spoofer
December 7th, 2021, 22:15
I did change the List slightly yesterday to allow Drag and Drop from spells and that might be impacting your linking.

I just assumed it was me. Perhaps the xml changed? I need to check that.

>>>So drag and drop spells works now? I tried dropping spells from the side bar to the NPC magic tab but nothing happens.

Strike that. If you drop to left side then it works. I was dropping to the right side.

spoofer
December 7th, 2021, 22:22
Ohh I see lots of visual changes. You have been busy. ;)

The side bar looks great. I appreciate the simplicity and the high contrast between the font and the background.

spoofer
December 7th, 2021, 22:45
It was me! In hindsight, the error message makes perfect sense. I got the automated creation of a link working. I see that I need to extract the name, spell damage, etc., and include that in the xml since those fields are still blank in the magic tab of the NPC.

Oh, you added power to each spell. That is not how power works. It should be one stat per NPC, not per spell. It needs to go up above, maybe beside speed and under will.

And now I finally see what happens when the player manual is not opened and you click a spell link. You get a friendly reminder to open it up. That is perfect.

Edit: Now that I see that dropping spells works as expected, I am wondering once again what the best way to do things is, and if the following behaviour is a bug. Right now, I parse the link and the castings. Here is the result. The following image shows to versions of the same spell. The top version is part of the NPC record. The lower version was dropped afterwards. The top one is missing the name. Should that name field also be automatically populated?

damned
December 8th, 2021, 04:49
It was me! In hindsight, the error message makes perfect sense. I got the automated creation of a link working. I see that I need to extract the name, spell damage, etc., and include that in the xml since those fields are still blank in the magic tab of the NPC.

Oh, you added power to each spell. That is not how power works. It should be one stat per NPC, not per spell. It needs to go up above, maybe beside speed and under will.

And now I finally see what happens when the player manual is not opened and you click a spell link. You get a friendly reminder to open it up. That is perfect.

Edit: Now that I see that dropping spells works as expected, I am wondering once again what the best way to do things is, and if the following behaviour is a bug. Right now, I parse the link and the castings. Here is the result. The following image shows to versions of the same spell. The top version is part of the NPC record. The lower version was dropped afterwards. The top one is missing the name. Should that name field also be automatically populated?

Ok I did misunerstand.
Power needs to be a NPC attribute not spell attribute.
Ill fix.
Did you see Nyghtmares post about Insanity and Corruption? I should add those at the same time?

If the XML is correct then the name should show up regardless of whether you drag/drop the spell or create it on the charsheet.

Nyghtmare
December 8th, 2021, 11:55
Yes for Insanity and Corruption. For example, the Fomor (under Beastman) has an Insanity of 3 and a Corruption of 2. Most of the more evil critters have values.

I did not put immune in the field. When I click the green arrow, nothing happens — is this a good thing, as in if there is something wrong there will be a message in chat or the like?

By the way, I saw in a video that there is a creature immune to all afflictions and also to having banes imposed on it. Is this something you have or will take into account, or just leave it out there as an outlier to be taken care of manually?

damned
December 8th, 2021, 11:59
Double click.
I imagine that all immunities would be added in to teh record...

damned
December 8th, 2021, 12:47
Ive added Power, Insanity, Corruption to the NPC sheet
Ive tweaked spell layout a little and drag and drop is more forgiving and Ive removed power.
I put spells into 2 columns but it makes the names shorter - thoughts?
Live in forge.

spoofer
December 8th, 2021, 20:51
If the XML is correct then the name should show up regardless of whether you drag/drop the spell or create it on the charsheet.

But I did neither of those, hence the problem. What is supposed to happen to the name field, etc. (see my image) in the case of the the data already existing as a link in the xml of the NPC entry? The link works so that part of the xml is correct. However, as you can see in my image, the name field is blank. Is that a bug? Can you not make the rule set auto populate the name field based on the link? If that is not going to happen, then I will write code that scrapes the xml data from the player module as the GM module is built.

spoofer
December 8th, 2021, 20:54
The editabilty of the NPC sheet still needs a bit more tweaking. Now it seems that the NPC sheet cannot be edited even when unlocked.

damned
December 8th, 2021, 21:21

But I did neither of those, hence the problem. What is supposed to happen to the name field, etc. (see my image) in the case of the the data already existing as a link in the xml of the NPC entry? The link works so that part of the xml is correct. However, as you can see in my image, the name field is blank. Is that a bug? Can you not make the rule set auto populate the name field based on the link? If that is not going to happen, then I will write code that scrapes the xml data from the player module as the GM module is built.

Now I understand - unfortunately the answer is no.
You will have to supply not only the link but the name, damage etc - all fields that the NPC sheet uses.
When you drag and drop an entry there is an onDrop() event that fills these out for you but it doesnt run any other time.

damned
December 8th, 2021, 21:24
The editabilty of the NPC sheet still needs a bit more tweaking. Now it seems that the NPC sheet cannot be edited even when unlocked.

I havent started locking the NPC sheet at all...
I cant replicate what you are seeing.

I did find that the three new fields I added have some bogus code in them.

Can you provide more info?

Nyghtmare
December 9th, 2021, 16:38
Whenever you modify (type in a value or delete it to put a 0 back in there) the Power, Insanity, or Corruption fields on the NPC sheet, the Console pops up with one of those nil value errors:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "power"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "insanity"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "corruption"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value

Nyghtmare
December 9th, 2021, 16:43
I'm not sure if I am setting this up wrong or if there is a bug.

Here is what the PDF says for a bear's claw attack:

Claw (melee) +6 (2d6 + 1, or 2d6 + 13 on attack roll 20+)

For the attack roll 20+ damage, I put "2d6+13" in the "Attack 20+" field. When I roll an attack of under 20, it will do 2d6+1 when I hit the damage button. However, when I roll a 20 or more (even a nat 20, for the record), the damage remains 2d6+1 when I hit the damage button rather than rolling 2d6+13.

So is it me or you? ;)

damned
December 9th, 2021, 20:15
Whenever you modify (type in a value or delete it to put a 0 back in there) the Power, Insanity, or Corruption fields on the NPC sheet, the Console pops up with one of those nil value errors:

[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "power"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "insanity"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value
[ERROR] Script execution error: [string "corruption"]: 7: attempt to index a nil value

See post #234 - I just havent uploaded a fix yet

damned
December 9th, 2021, 20:16
I'm not sure if I am setting this up wrong or if there is a bug.

Here is what the PDF says for a bear's claw attack:

Claw (melee) +6 (2d6 + 1, or 2d6 + 13 on attack roll 20+)

For the attack roll 20+ damage, I put "2d6+13" in the "Attack 20+" field. When I roll an attack of under 20, it will do 2d6+1 when I hit the damage button. However, when I roll a 20 or more (even a nat 20, for the record), the damage remains 2d6+1 when I hit the damage button rather than rolling 2d6+13.

So is it me or you? ;)

20+ is just informational right now.
Havent worked out yet how to handle it.

spoofer
December 10th, 2021, 00:09
I havent started locking the NPC sheet at all...
I cant replicate what you are seeing.

Sorry! That was me! I locked the NPC entries in the xml, and forgot that I had made that change.

spoofer
December 10th, 2021, 00:28
Re: spells

Now that the spells are in two columns, the names of many spells, such as MOLD EARTH AND STONE no longer fit. Furthermore, NPCs with a lot of spells, such as the wizard, only have about eight or so spells. You can fit twice that number in a single column. So you really do not need to make two columns. If an NPC actually has too many, then you can scroll up or down.

I prefer one column.

Nyghtmare
December 10th, 2021, 18:47
20+ is just informational right now.
Havent worked out yet how to handle it.

Since the 20+ field could hold both a die roll (for extra damage on a hit) or a trait (a bite could also do poison, for example), I didn't think that this would be straight forward.

Nyghtmare
December 10th, 2021, 18:48
Re: spells

Now that the spells are in two columns, the names of many spells, such as MOLD EARTH AND STONE no longer fit. Furthermore, NPCs with a lot of spells, such as the wizard, only have about eight or so spells. You can fit twice that number in a single column. So you really do not need to make two columns. If an NPC actually has too many, then you can scroll up or down.

I prefer one column.
For the record, I think a single column would work better as well.

Nyghtmare
December 10th, 2021, 19:06
So when I hit on the green arrows for the Immune section (I just figured out that it was a double-click instead of a single click to activate it), I get a weird message from the Ghastly Chorus's cold immunity.

I am typing in:
damage from cold, disease, and poison; asleep, diseased, fatigued, immobilized, poisoned, prone

What I get in chat after double-clicking on the green arrows is:
databasenode = { npc.id-00050 }
s'damage from cold'
#1 | s'cold'
s'This cat is immune to Cold!'

This looks to me like some comments from Debug, so I wanted to point this out to you in case it was that or something else.

Also, when the word "frightened" is in the immune section, I get this when I double-click on the green arrows:
databasenode = { npc.id-00049 }
s'frightened'

Again, it looks like Debug code to me.

Nyghtmare
December 10th, 2021, 21:09
I have been entering some data and need some clarifications on some fields for Spells.

What exactly are the Roll and Damage fields used for? Is the Roll field where you would enter something like "Make an Intellect attack against the target's Agility", and is the Damage field purely for something like "1d6"?

For the Attack 20+ field, will it catch extra damage on rolls of 20+ if you put "The target takes 1d6 extra damage" into that field?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

damned
December 11th, 2021, 00:18
I will make spells single column, there will just be a lot of wasted space.

damned
December 11th, 2021, 00:19
So when I hit on the green arrows for the Immune section (I just figured out that it was a double-click instead of a single click to activate it), I get a weird message from the Ghastly Chorus's cold immunity.

I am typing in:
damage from cold, disease, and poison; asleep, diseased, fatigued, immobilized, poisoned, prone

What I get in chat after double-clicking on the green arrows is:
databasenode = { npc.id-00050 }
s'damage from cold'
#1 | s'cold'
s'This cat is immune to Cold!'

This looks to me like some comments from Debug, so I wanted to point this out to you in case it was that or something else.

Also, when the word "frightened" is in the immune section, I get this when I double-click on the green arrows:
databasenode = { npc.id-00049 }
s'frightened'

Again, it looks like Debug code to me.

They are debug only statements. I just want to know if it finds all of the immunities in your test examples.

damned
December 11th, 2021, 00:21
I have been entering some data and need some clarifications on some fields for Spells.

What exactly are the Roll and Damage fields used for? Is the Roll field where you would enter something like "Make an Intellect attack against the target's Agility", and is the Damage field purely for something like "1d6"?

For the Attack 20+ field, will it catch extra damage on rolls of 20+ if you put "The target takes 1d6 extra damage" into that field?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Development is ongoing and some of these things will change and some will change again.

I havent worked out Roll as yet.
No it will not auto parse anything - Im disinclined to go down that route. Again it is still in development.

Nyghtmare
December 11th, 2021, 01:57
For NPC, in the Attack Options popup window, there is an additional "Extra Damage" that can be added to [F}ire, ce, [D]isease, and [P]oison... namely, [A]cid.

A creature called an Oculus does this.
[I]Dripping Appendage (melee) +6 with 2 boons (2d6 plus 2d6 from acid)

spoofer
December 12th, 2021, 00:13
Still a work in progress, but getting there...

spoofer
December 12th, 2021, 00:31
A few things that popped into my mind today.

The space given to the name of spells is not wide enough. You can see that one of the dryad's spell names has been clipped in the image that I posted.
NPCs without any magic still show one empty spell in their magic tab. The rule set must be putting this in as it is not in the xml.
NPCs need to roll dice with boons and banes.
The boons and banes on the PC sheet graphically look very pretty but those little arrows used to add dice are really really small and a real pain to click.
I would love to see some easy to click buttons just below the chat window such as the following buttons seen in the ALIEN game.