PDA

View Full Version : Chat panel and dice tower not staying locked into new position.

Ulric
October 3rd, 2021, 18:43
One of my players had arranged the chat panel and the dice tower on their FG screen and clicked the lock button to lock their position. Whenever the Player reconnects to my FG server these windows are always reset to their default location on the players screen.

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2021, 19:19
I'm not sure whether those two things are supposed to remain over a closure and eye-opening of FGU. If they are supposed to do that then it sounds like they aren't getting saved to your player's hard drive. So could be a permissions issue.

Ulric
October 3rd, 2021, 21:43
I'm not sure whether those two things are supposed to remain over a closure and eye-opening of FGU. If they are supposed to do that then it sounds like they aren't getting saved to your player's hard drive. So could be a permissions issue.
They do reload into their last saved position for other players. There was a file you could delete that would reset window positions if there was a problem, but I can't remember the file name.

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2021, 22:20
I think the file you are thinking of might be windowstate.xml but I don't think that's a file in the client cache. It's certainly a file that appears in the DM campaign folders. The only file I see in the player cache is the usersettings which only preserves hotkeys. The player could try deleting the entire cache file for the campaign. That is in %AppData%/Roaming/Smiteworks/cache/name of campaign

Ulric
October 4th, 2021, 03:55
I think the file you are thinking of might be windowstate.xml but I don't think that's a file in the client cache. It's certainly a file that appears in the DM campaign folders. The only file I see in the player cache is the usersettings which only preserves hotkeys. The player could try deleting the entire cache file for the campaign. That is in %AppData%/Roaming/Smiteworks/cache/name of campaign
Yes, that was the file I was talking about. Erasing the cache was our thoughts as well.

BronzeDodger
October 4th, 2021, 07:06
Just in case: I've gotten frustrated with the windowed aspect of FGU (as opposed to the essentially fixed FGC) causing locked items to move+re-lock somewhere in what appears to be an attempt to keep them visible no matter how small the window becomes
So if you have your window "just so" and then resize it (accidentally or intentionally) locked windows will move - but then if you maximize the window again they stick in the second position instead of resetting to the first. I can only guess that some order of events is causing "keep these things visible" to win out over "put them back when I maximize the display". So instead of an ini it could be just window resizing causing the chat/tower to have minds of their own.

JohnD
October 5th, 2021, 06:39
This has always happened for me.

jharp
October 5th, 2021, 13:25
I'll verify later today but wont https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/270/view remedy your issues?

Jason

Ulric
October 5th, 2021, 16:01
I'll verify later today but wont https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/270/view remedy your issues?

Jason
It probably could but it shouldn't be required to provide something that seems to be a core feature. I've used the original for many years until a few months ago. I did subscribe to your newer version when it became available. Players don't usually understand extensions and how to use them.

Zacchaeus
October 5th, 2021, 16:17
I've done some testing and if you move the chat and dice tower to new positions they are indeed still in those positions when logging back in. So the question is where is that information being saved on the client side and it must be in the campaign.dat file in the cache folder for each campaign. Since in this case the positions aren't being preserved it seems to me that the issue must therefore be that the data isn't being written properly to the cache file. So that brings me back to some kind of permissions issue. Having said that though if this isn't getting written to the file then I'd expect nothing else getting written either - which would manifest in other problems which you don't mention happening. So does the player see the cache file for this campaign? Is there anything in that folder? And is the size of that folder the same as one of the other players who don't have this issue?

Ulric
October 6th, 2021, 14:21

Clearing the cache corrected the problem. All windows are staying in their last locked position when rejoining the game.

JohnD
October 6th, 2021, 21:59
In my case it continues to happen across two different desktop computers and three different laptops.