PDA

View Full Version : Story Templates. Hidden Call Error...or is it user error?

Mansquatch62
September 29th, 2021, 14:23
I'm building a random business generator story template. It generates business name, business type, and proprietor name, sex, race, etc.
The problem is with calls to my Gender table.
I want to hide the call so it doesn't print to the generated story except where I call the information.

As shown, the [?Gender] command isn't hiding the information and is printing to the generated story file. However it IS hiding the columns from the Gender table that AREN'T rolling on sub-tables. Namely the gender pronoun columns.
The Golden Carp Supply result is WITH the "?" command.
The Zenith Store result is WITHOUT the "?" command.

Am I doing something wrong or is this feature buggy?

superteddy57
September 29th, 2021, 14:43
I tested this with the data that I saw through the picture and wasn't able to replicate it. I think I followed your steps.

Calibre2112
September 29th, 2021, 14:59
Greets,
The original poster is a GM in our gaming clan. I can say, based on your capture.png that that's not exactly right. Mansquatch has tables embeded in his generator. From your image I don't believe you do.
If you look at his image, he has a table for First Name, Last Name, Height and Build, Eye Color.
The code script [?Gender] is calling the results of those tables and printing it at the location of [?Gender] when it is not supposed to according to the video he watched on this feature. The columns where he is not evaluating a table result, such as the pronoun columns, functions properly: i.e., it doesn't print the results at the location of [?Gender]. Basically, we want the results of [?Gender] stored without printing it for use later in the code.

thanks
Cal

superteddy57
September 29th, 2021, 15:12
I'm building a random business generator story template. It generates business name, business type, and proprietor name, sex, race, etc.
The problem is with calls to my Gender table.
I want to hide the call so it doesn't print to the generated story except where I call the information.

As shown, the [?Gender] command isn't hiding the information and is printing to the generated story file. However it IS hiding the columns from the Gender table that AREN'T rolling on sub-tables. Namely the gender pronoun columns.
The Golden Carp Supply result is WITH the "?" command.
The Zenith Store result is WITHOUT the "?" command.

Am I doing something wrong or is this feature buggy?

Mod: Deleted duplicate post

Please provide a module with the tables and templates you are using. It would help with the testing process.

Mansquatch62
September 29th, 2021, 17:14
Thanks Superteddy57,
Here is the mod.

superteddy57
September 29th, 2021, 18:58
First, in the future, please inform which ruleset you are using and provide as much detail as possible when reporting a bug. I was unaware that you were using the Rolemaster Classic ruleset and didn't test it initially with that ruleset. I tested with your module within the 5e ruleset and the Rolemaster Classic rulesets to see if my earlier test was not consistent. It does appear to be related to the Rolemaster Classic ruleset that is providing different outputs.

I will point this to the ruleset developer and also investigate it further myself to see where the disconnect is. I do have to confess that I was not able to run through it fully in 5e as some of the sub tables were not available with the 5e ruleset.

Mansquatch62
September 29th, 2021, 19:19
Ah. Crap. My apologies about the ruleset. In my original post I did specify that, but when I found out I could post a screen shot instead of the lengthy discription, I deleted that and didn't catch it. Thanks for the help.

superteddy57
September 29th, 2021, 19:31
No worries! Just wanted to help with future reports. The information you did provide was still detailed and helpful in working through it.

JimSocks
October 1st, 2021, 09:45
I will certainly look into this, though I am out of the country for work at the moment so please be patient. I can’t get to it until my return.

Until I can get to it, try something for me and see if it is a good workaround: custom name it and see if it works that way.

[:?Gender:Storegender]
Then reference using Storegender

Let me know if that works as expected.