PDA

View Full Version : Moving on a HEXROW grid with Arrow Keys

Blackfoot
September 26th, 2021, 13:59
Oddly enough.. I thought this worked.. but it doesn't seem to.

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2021, 17:45
I don't think it was ever implemented; and ended up just getting the default square behaviors (which don't really work for hexes).

I think the bigger question is what arrow and keypad diagonal keys "should" do on hex maps (and which type of hex grid (row vs. col type)).

While left/right is straightforward on hex row, and up/down is straightforward on hex column; the other direction has two hexes each. So the basic arrow keys can only pick one direction, and the other would have to be on a diagonal key; or both on alternate diagonal keys.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
September 26th, 2021, 17:53
While left/right is straightforward on hex row, and up/down is straightforward on hex column; the other direction has two hexes each. So the basic arrow keys can only pick one direction, and the other would have to be on a diagonal key; or both on alternate diagonal keys.

Regards,
JPGMy assumption, for HEXROW, would be that the side arrows work as you say... but you'd need the diagonal keys from the keypad for moving upright, upleft, downright, or downleft.

For HEXCOLUMN I'd assume the opposite situation.

Nothing else really makes too much sense.

Moon Wizard
September 26th, 2021, 17:59
Thanks. I filed a ticket, and put my thoughts in the notes (similar to yours). It's not very high priority for us at the moment; due to other stuff on our plate. But, we're tracking it now internally, so @cpinder can implement when he's working on that section again.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
September 26th, 2021, 18:09
Well.. it is nice to see HEX finally getting a little love.. even if it is slow going.
Thanks.

Blackfoot
September 29th, 2021, 23:29
Nicely done. Seems to work great!