PDA

View Full Version : Changing charsheet frame from charsheet_main

mixologee
September 24th, 2021, 01:55
So I am trying to change the background frame of the main character sheet based on if they are playing a hero or a villain. I've been having trouble finding out how to get to the parent window object (not the DB object) but all attempts have failed. Anyone got a link to an example of how to affect a parent window settings like frame, font, etc.? Below is the code I currently have which does change the frame of the character_main sheet. The button is on character_main section. When I moved the button to charsheet, it works the way I want, but the buttons end up on all the other tabs so not ideal. I was looking through the API references, but wasn't able to find out how to get to where I'm trying to make the change programatically.

function onButtonPress()
local nVal = window.hero_chk.getValue();

if nVal == 0 then
window.villain_chk.setValue(1);
window.setFrame("char_sheet_background_villain");
elseif nVal == 1 then
window.villain_chk.setValue(0);
window.setFrame("char_sheet_background");
end
end

Thanks in advance.

DCrumb
September 24th, 2021, 02:22
Instead of a button, you could put the script as an onInit function, see 3.5E record_char_main.xml for an idea on how to possibly write it.

Moon Wizard
September 24th, 2021, 04:19
Random thoughts in no particular order:

* The item behaviors in 5E or 3.5E for the "item_main" window class and script might be a closer example.
* I wouldn't suggest putting multiple fields/controls for essentially the same check (i.e. hero_chk/villian_chk). You can always just pull one and calculate the other. Or go towards the NPC type option in 3.5E which allows switching between Creature/Vehicle/Trap.
* The "charsheet" window class is specifically for player-controlled characters, not as a repository for NPCs/villains. It's just going to complicate things to try to merge them. Just make the NPC sheet more complex for villians; and allow a Villian checkbox for the more complex characters (like wildcards in Savage Worlds) It will keep the combat tracker code simpler in the long run.

Regards,
JPG

mixologee
September 24th, 2021, 05:05
Thanks for the feedback. The way I'm reading the ruleset it looks like the villains could be player controlled as they have a similar character sheet with npcs being a more traditional type of npc (at least in the pdf). Ill check out those examples.

mixologee
September 24th, 2021, 17:39
Found what I needed. window.parentcontrol.window.setFrame() got me to the top level charsheet (putting this here for posterity).

Just for a little more background on how I'm interpreting the ruleset docs and why this function would exist. In theory, the DM and players have a good bit of latitude to make things up as you go. Having this piece allows a players character to turn from hero to villain and back based on a custom storyline (think Loki in the Marvel universe).