PDA

View Full Version : I love FGII at my pen and paper game!

Nalfien
August 24th, 2007, 17:51
I have just finished DMing my 2nd session of my new campaign that begins with the WotC product “Expedition to Undermoutain.” I have had Fantasy Grounds since it’s first version and honestly I haven’t really played that much online. I can honestly say though, that Fantasy Grounds has been my most prized D&D purchase of ALL TIME.

I bring my laptop as I DM for my four players and run FGII. Then I hook up a flat screen monitor and run dual monitors with a client side FG also running. I put the monitor facing the players on the other side of my laptop. I have both FG apps in windowed mode and put the player log in app on the flat screen. If I need to see how things look on the other monitor I just hover over the app in my start menu and Windows Vista lets me see a thumb nail view. If I need to adjust the position of anything in FG on that monitor, I right click on the start menu and maximize it. This makes it full screen on my laptop where I can move pictures if I need to. Then I make it go back to windowed mode and it goes right back to my players monitor.

This allows me to:

1) Use the FGII combat tracker.
2) Use FGs NPC maker to keep player stats and drag and drop ability for the combat tracker.
3) Use the Monsters in FG when I can for drag and drop for the combat tracker.
4) Display maps to my players and reveal the map as they explore it.
5) When combat breaks out, they draw the map they see on the screen and we use minis to play out the battle. I keep track of initiative, ACs, monster HP, etc in the combat tracker.
6) I can display images to them such as:
a) Monsters they are fighting
b) NPCs they are talking to
c) Scenes they see (like castles)
d) Maps (and link my maps with other images, NPCs, text I need to read, etc with FGII shortcuts enabled!)
e) Visual puzzles for them to solve
f) Pictures of their characters

I love FGII as a tabletop tool. Its made my DMing go much more smoothly and allows me to keep the tempo of combat and descriptions. I could write more, but I hope I’ve made my point.

I’ve seen the D&D 4th ed. YouTube videos and the software they showed for online use and probably tabletop use as well. They showed a laptop in one of the teaser videos. WotC has a lot of catching up to do if they want to come close to what FG has to offer. They were using 3D graphics that didn’t even look Neverwinter Nights quality. I hope FGII plans to stay 2D because it allows me to do the many things I’ve described above.

GoOrange
August 24th, 2007, 22:26
That's a great idea. I can see how FG can really aid your regular face-to-face game. I don't have an extra monitor right now, but I still may take advantage of the combat tracker, die roller and monster database right now anyway.

Might almost be worth the cost of a second monitor...

Griogre
August 24th, 2007, 22:32
If someone in your group has a laptop also you can connect to it an use it as the player display.

Valarian
August 24th, 2007, 22:49
Is it possible to run a dual display and to have a player and GM session running on the same machine? The player display being on the second screen.

Griogre
August 24th, 2007, 23:42
Yes, that is possible. I have a dual screen setup myself.

richvalle
August 25th, 2007, 00:03
I thought that was what the OP described.

rv

Griogre
August 25th, 2007, 10:03
He did, the dual monitor response was to GoOrange. Should have quoted him.

bobthebuilder
August 25th, 2007, 11:54
FG has amazing functionality. The sessions can run very smoothly with FG set-up. What I like most is the ability to mask maps, to zoom in and use tokens, to bring the `tabletop' to life so to speak and help visualise the situation. As Nalfien said there is no need for three-dimensional imagery, 2-D format does the trick well for me. I also like FG's slick look when you boot it up. I've been using it for 18 months and haven't had any problems with it at all. In these 18 months the community has grown much larger too (heaps more posts on the forums, vast array of FG games displayed on the calendar, etc).

Tropico
August 25th, 2007, 15:58
You do this with just one laptop?? ... I'm gonna have to look into the whole dual-monitor thing.. I use a projector and I need to use TWO laptops to get it set up right. Plus dual monitors sounds good to not have to play cramped up in a dark room ;)

Anyway, I can attest to all the rest of your post, I've definitely had several players have a blast who I know would never have agreed to a 'roleplay' game if it hadn't been for the glitzyness of FG2 and the smoothness of it all. Way to go FG!

demonsbane
August 25th, 2007, 19:26
FG has amazing functionality. (...) As Nalfien said there is no need for three-dimensional imagery, 2-D format does the trick well for me. I also like FG's slick look when you boot it up.

Actually, when some of us speak of 3D functionality for FGII or VTTs, it is conceived as an optional feature IMHO, not as substitutive of the current 2D functionality, wich works pretty well. Sure, I'm being utopian now, but that is the idea: keeping the 2D features while adding 3D features if the user wants to take advantage of.

I do love too 2D art and features. 3D isn't need for me, but I would like very much. That is all (I think)! ;)

Cheers