PDA

View Full Version : Token Subfolders in FGII

chiefarchon
August 24th, 2007, 09:37
Can you have subfolders in the Token folders of fantasy grounds II ?

what I mean is, can I place subfolders in the Shared folder or the Host folder?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give to me :)

Kalan
August 24th, 2007, 09:42
Can you have subfolders in the Token folders of fantasy grounds II ?

what I mean is, can I place subfolders in the Shared folder or the Host folder?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give to me :)

yep - each subfolder will become a new "bag" in the token box. Just be careful to not place anything other than token files into these folders tho.

chiefarchon
August 24th, 2007, 10:54
Thanks so much

Wow!

what a fast reacting community.

Im impresse lol :p

chiefarchon
August 24th, 2007, 10:56
Where do monster tokens go?

DNH
August 24th, 2007, 11:58
You should probably keep monster tokens under the host folder, so the players are not then able to access them.

One thing to note, as Kalan says, each subfolder will become a new "bag" in the token space. I find it useful to create a new bag/folder for each adventure I run and place copies of all the monsters I need in that bag/folder. Otherwise, things can get messy, especially if you just have one big bag with "monster" tokens in it.

Hope this helps.

Kalan
August 24th, 2007, 13:38
You can also now have tokens inside modules - which then show up within their own bag in the token box when that module is open. This is a little trickier to do - and you need to be familiar with how to create modules "offline" to do it.

Another option is to place your tokens within a token folder inside the campaign directory - again, they will show up within their own bag that bears the Campaign's name.

chiefarchon
August 24th, 2007, 15:17
why dont the d20 monsters not come with tokens already attached ?

Kalan
August 24th, 2007, 15:46

Because tokens don't ship with the base set ;) That and everyone tends to use different company's tokens - as there are lots to choose from, not to mention you can also make your own using any graphic software...so doesn't do much good to "force" people to using one type of token.

Griogre
August 24th, 2007, 19:29
The ability to attach tokens to a monster personality is new to FG2 also.

scytale2
August 25th, 2007, 00:13
I hope they upgrade this in FG2.x - it is a shame the tokens can't be sorted properly, or even named, so you can look for them alphabetically.

chiefarchon
August 29th, 2007, 03:59
I hope they upgrade this in FG2.x - it is a shame the tokens can't be sorted properly, or even named, so you can look for them alphabetically.

Yes it almost doesnt make sense that the tokens dont show their names, especially when you consider that they do show their names once they are placed on a map!

They way it stands I now see that you have to place every token in a folder in order to see a name in the token box. very sloppy :S

richvalle
August 29th, 2007, 15:02
Naming the tokens would be semi-pointless as you will, in all probability, be changing the name of that token anyway.

Lets say you have a token named goblin. The party is going to fight some goblins so you make 10 bad guys on the combat tracker. Are they all going to be named 'goblin'? No, you'll be changing their names to something like goblin1, goblin2 or even knee cruncher, bone gnasher, ect.

A more useful tool that has been asked for is a way to setup an alias for a personality. That way when you drop the tokens on the map they will be named 'goblin1, goblin2...' for the players but you'll know they are 'goblin1 barbaran3, goblin2 chief fighter3/barb5, ...

As for tokens being included... Smiteworks is a small company and anything that adds to their cost will be taking $$ out of their pockets. Or would everyone be willing to pay an extra $5 per license to get tokens included? There are some that already complain that FG cost too much. I'm sure SW can't include the art straight from the MM as that belongs to WoTC. However, there is nothing that stops you from grabbing that art and using it to make tokens.

What I do is go to www.srd20.org and go to their monsters page. There they have a page for every monster type and from that page there is a link to WoTC artwork for that creature (to give you an idea of how possessive WoTC is about their artwork they forbid anyone else from hosting that artwork themselves though they do allow links to it).

I have also bought a few Fiery Dragons pdf's and create tokens from that. That way I can have several different tokens on the board for a nice variation.

Good luck and keep the questions coming. :)

rv

Griogre
August 29th, 2007, 17:37
Personally I don't like the way the tokens are named because I almost always end up renaming them. If players don't make those knowledge checks and it is not a common monster I don't tell them what it is. It adds to the excitement sometimes - when that "Giant" leans over and bites them. Keeps the players on their toes. ;)

Toadwart
August 30th, 2007, 02:06
Oh, "excitement", that's what it adds to. Kaelia thought it just added to the gross-out factor. Horrible slobbery giant! :p

Griogre
August 30th, 2007, 03:54
Well you know how it is: Some people just can't wait for dinner and the giant just wanted a pre-dinner sample. He thought Kaelia was the hors d'oeuvre.

chiefarchon
August 30th, 2007, 11:26
As for tokens being included... Smiteworks is a small company and anything that adds to their cost will be taking $$ out of their pockets. Or would everyone be willing to pay an extra $5 per license to get tokens included? There are some that already complain that FG cost too much. I'm sure SW can't include the art straight from the MM as that belongs to WoTC. However, there is nothing that stops you from grabbing that art and using it to make tokens.
rv

hm

as im very new here I have to ask:
are you a smiteworks employee?
a smiteworks spokesperson perhaps?
Their official liaison?
Privy to their financial reports?

If so can I say that I and no doubt many others would be willing to offer services to any project along these lines that you would want to start :)

If you are not any of the above I'd have to ask you what authority you have to make such claims and statements on their behalf :confused:

In truth im quite willing to accept that perhaps tokens may not be able to be added to certain companies' creative products (I honestly dont know) but if this is the case then it applies to EVERYONE who tries to make tokens for that companies' products!!!

With regards to cost and expense see the following: https://www.daz3d.com/ https://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/home.php
https://www.renderosity.com/

From these sites I hope you will see that making characters and creatures is pretty easy and fairly cheep these days. Almost anyone can do it. literally!

In fact fully 70% of the graphics I have seen made for tokens up to now seem to be made using the Michael and Victoria poseable characters from Daz3d. In fact the posing software is free from daz as is at least one of the characters.

You can make so much very cheeply these days even as an indivual with little cash it's not such a big leep in expense.

Ive attached something ive created :)

chiefarchon
August 30th, 2007, 12:16
Naming the tokens would be semi-pointless as you will, in all probability, be changing the name of that token anyway.

Lets say you have a token named goblin. The party is going to fight some goblins so you make 10 bad guys on the combat tracker. Are they all going to be named 'goblin'? No, you'll be changing their names to something like goblin1, goblin2 or even knee cruncher, bone gnasher, ect.

A more useful tool that has been asked for is a way to setup an alias for a personality. That way when you drop the tokens on the map they will be named 'goblin1, goblin2...' for the players but you'll know they are 'goblin1 barbaran3, goblin2 chief fighter3/barb5, ...

rv

hm pointless :)

Now I just purchased some tokens from Digital Adventures and I noticed that the monsters in their monstrous humaniods pack had to each be placed in its own separate folder, yup one folder for every single token(what an unfortumate wast of momory!) but as I can see it they had no choice; and frankly if they had not done this I would not have a hope of knowing what the heck a "scylla" token for instance looked like. Oh no putting names on tokens is definitely not pointless!

I think that you are missunderstanding me or im not being clear enough. let me put it another way :)

What im suggesting is simple stuff.

im suggesting that the "name of the file" withought folder names, and without the file extention is shown in the tokens tray. Now this is a name that already exists, and should in all honesty be shown in the token tray. It is a fairly simple matter to take the file name, then cut of all the folder names, then cut of the file extention and you are left with the name that the creator gave the token. simple!

Now this does not stop the possibility of doing aliases. and to be honest autonumbering would be a better bet in my oppinion than having to add the numbers yourself.

So for instance:
You could have an in tray that showed the file name as given by the creator. Then you could have the system autonumbering tokens when they are polled out of the token tray so the "orc" token becomes orc1, orc2, etc. Finally the GM could be given the option to set an alias. but I would always want to know that that default name as given by the creator was there on the default token regardless...

Sigurd
August 30th, 2007, 12:22
In spite of the charm of the token bag and all its uniqueness, I wish you could have a config switch or change somewhere that changes things to a standard explorer window. The DM has too many other things to do.

Sigurd

chiefarchon
August 30th, 2007, 12:27
In spite of the charm of the token bag and all its uniqueness, I wish you could have a config switch or change somewhere that changes things to a standard explorer window. The DM has too many other things to do.

Sigurd

Tell me about it, id really love this. Im not a fan of the token tray mysel lol

You definately have my vote for an explorer type interface for sure, I just want to be able to see the creature name from the get-go!

zifnab69_fr
September 2nd, 2007, 08:40
is it possible to change the token size in the token bag, because, with very large token, it's impossible to manage them in the token bag...

Toadwart
September 3rd, 2007, 01:59
Sheesh! Whats up with all the FG1 questions lately?
Are there illegal copies of FG1 floating around? or are people are just too stubborn to do the (free!) upgrade to FGII?

In FGII tokens automatically scale down within the token box to allow for easier management.

joshuha
September 3rd, 2007, 02:57
Are there illegal copies of FG1 floating around?
In FGII tokens automatically scale down within the token box to allow for easier management.

Not accusing the originator of the question you refer to of this. There is a cracked version of FG1 out there (no license key is in it but it works). Going to FG 2 and an updater that connects to a server I think allows them some more security options than before and some peope may not upgrade to FG 2 for that reason.

The other reason though is some decent rulesets were released for FG 1 and those people are slow to convert until they have the equivalent.

Griogre
September 3rd, 2007, 03:26
Sheesh! Whats up with all the FG1 questions lately?
Are there illegal copies of FG1 floating around? or are people are just too stubborn to do the (free!) upgrade to FGII?
Pirates had a hard time upgrading to FG2, so yes part of them are stuck for a bit on FG1. Some, of course, just have old rulesets.

zifnab69_fr
September 3rd, 2007, 04:34
Ooups....
in fact, with FG1 token size in the token box is a problem, and i have not try this with FG2 ....
well, i try it asap.
For information all people using FG1 are not pirates, because lots of stuff are for fg1
in my computer i have both fg1 and fg2 for this reason.

Toadwart
September 3rd, 2007, 04:56
Not 'pointing the finger' at anyone.
Just seemed to have been a lot of FG1 related posts lately

chiefarchon
September 7th, 2007, 21:19
Why would you think we are talking about FG1. Can I just point you to the title of thist thread it says "Token Subfolders in FGII , The II means 2 by the way" :P

giggle

ps

This was a tongue in cheek reply by the way :)

Toadwart
September 8th, 2007, 05:48
Yeah, I dunno. Was at work and having a real bad day. :o